CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.0

$2,499.00

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 11 of 18)

Jun 112009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

My '02 Accord began acting up back in Aug 08 with about 110k miles, now it is June '09 and the transmission is about to fall out! I took the car into the dealer in Aug '08 and they said the transmission is on the way out and it would cost $3000 to repair and my extended warranty has ran out 10k miles ago!

I have been driving the car as gently as I can- no flooring the gas, allowing the car to slowly build up to speed and slow gradual braking- just babying the thing. Well now the car is in bad shape and about to give out. I came online to look for some answers and found this site. I called American Honda 800-999-1009 and explained that the check engine light is on, the car slips and jerks in 2 & 3 gears, the TCS light comes on at times, one time the D4 light began flashing when I used the cruise control. Basically Honda CSR would not help not $1 toward fixing. They said because it is out of warranty, has 133K miles, I am not original owner( I bought used, as second owner) and no recall at this time.

I have owned a total of 3 Accords, and this one will probably be the last. None of the other cars gave me a problem. I even owned a Toyota Corolla and drove it for 212K miles before trading it for my first Honda. I guess I should have picked better on this 2002 Honda MESS of an Accord. I don't have the money to fix the car, I don't have a job to earn enough to save to buy a newer car, and I think Honda should have the Consumer in mind, especially if they want repeat owners, to repair this problem!!!!!!! I am scared to death of being in this car if it were to break down on me while driving. People don't care enough to pay attention to you if your car suddenly slows down, or your flashers come on- they get mad, yell at you for being in their way.......

I hope and pray that Honda will wake up and see the danger this presents to US, their customer!

- , Apopka, FL, USA

Jul 152008

Accord LX 3.2L

I have two, 2002, Honda Accords. The transmission slippage appears worse on one car than it does on the second Honda. However, I can feel some slippage with the second car. To make matters, potentially, worse, I just purchased another Honda Accord, 2008, and I helped my mother-in-law purchase a 2007 Honda Accord. I took the first Honda into the dealership today. They confirmed my suspicion - bad tranny - with a replacement cost exceeding $3000. Hopefully, Honda will stand behind their products and make the necessary corrections. If not, I will look for a better product.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

May 012009

Accord EX V6

Please add me to the list of unsatisfied Honda Customers. I own a 2002 Accord EX V6 that supposedly has a broken transmission at 75K miles. I got on the internet to find out if this may be a common problem and apparently is it. I am going to call the Honda Corporate to see what they can do. As other have also expressed, it is annoying to know that Honda recalled Accord transmissions for 2001 and not for 2002. Whenever one talks of the Accord generations, they refer to 1998-2002. That is because technically their design is very similar.

I realize that the recall may have been to a mistake from the sub-contractor manufacturing Transmissions during the recalled time period but still find it hard to believe that the transmission will fail for 2002 (the non-recalled models) at less than 75K even when a car was maintained regularly and driven with utmost care.

I will also call and report the same to NHTSA as requested in the previous post.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 042009

Accord LX 2.3L 4-cyl

Like others before me, I too was shocked to discover I needed my transmission replaced. Having previously bought Pre-Owned Fords (1983 Mercury Marquis, and 1990 Ford Taurus), I was all too familiar with the bad transmission, as I would approach the 100,000 mark. I ditched the Taurus at 150K (rebuilt tranny still working!), and vowed to spend a little extra money to buy a NEW Accord, thinking that I'd have solid reliable transportation for years to come. I had always done the scheduled maintenance, and had 2 drain/refills with Honda ATF fluid: once in 2005 at 20,000 miles, and most recently in 2008 at 37,000 miles. People who are commenting that these tranny problems are due to negligence are in denial! I have not had any problems with this car till now. The only time I've taken to my mechanic has been for routine work.

After leaking fluid, bucking, jerking and slipping, all in rapid succession following a long road trip through mountains, my car is now sitting at a local Honda dealer as I wait to hear back from American Honda with their "verdict". I will press for them to cover the full cost: $3200 for a Honda remanufactured trans., and have already added my name to the 400+ people regarding a possible class-action: Stamell & Schager (212) 566-4356. I imagine the high resale value that Honda is known for, is now out the window with this incident on my CARFAX record!!!

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 032009

Accord EX V4

File a complaint with the NHTSA for these transmission failures ? phone ? 1-888-327-4236. They are launching an investigation about the transmission failures which could cause loss of life! They can cause Honda to recall the transmission problems.

As all of you already know, transmission failure and slippage (going out of gear) is a recurring problem with Honda Transmissions on the Accords. I was pulling out onto the highway when it slipped and could only see a truck barreling towards me. Luckily, there was no one in the left lane and they switched before I could get my car off the road.

I only have 56K miles on my car and have always taken care of it. Honda is trying to zap me with a $3,700 repair bill which I am contesting.

I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA ? phone ? 1-888-327-4236. They asked that all of you file a complaint (very easy to do over the phone). They have several other complaints already and will launch an investigation especially since there was a voluntary recall in 2001.

Please call and complain before someone is killed from this slippage problem, if there already hasn?t been.

Thank you.

Update from Aug 5, 2009: Honda gave me a 50% discount on the transmission repair. I had the oil changed and had them put the towing bill on the invoice. So they gave me the discount on everything. Still won't buy a Honda again. Actually, the customer service people at American Honda wanted me to pay more money than the dealer quoted me. So just be aware when you call them that the dealer may actually give you a better discount.

American Honda said the number of transmission failures are small compared to the number of Honda Accords that they sell. I wonder if they still feel that way now that the bottom fell out of new car sales.

Lastly, this huge expense came at a terrible time as I just lost my job on Monday after 10 years with the company. So, I could really use the $1800 that I paid for the transmission. Well, at least I have a car to search for a job!

- , St, FL, USA

May 292009

Accord EX V6

Original owner of 2002 V6 Accord, 57,900 miles, with similar transmission problems mentioned by others, but without check engine light or D4 flashing light. After doing research took car to Honda dealer for diagnosis, dealer confirmed beginning of transmission failure. Furnished dealer with service records, which included changing transmission fluid in conjunction with previous three oil changes. Honda service advisor contacted Honda representative, faxed service records to them and they agreed to pick up 75% of replacement transmission/labor. Out of pocket was $650 and now have 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

- , Greenfield, WI, USA

Jan 012007

Accord LX 4c

My 2002 Honda Accord experienced transmission problems at the 80,000 mark in the year 2007. Slipping ever so slightly. Pull and tugs when put into drive. That is only 16K miles a year. Mostly highway miles. I'd done everything right for the car as far as maintenance. 3,000 miles later it got worse. That is when I went about the whole circle of Inquiring on Honda transmissions to Dealership to Case# to District Field Manager. And back to Honda dealership to have them inspect my car and charge me over $100.00+ only to tell me Exactly what my mechanic(on technical terms) and myself(what was obvious to me) already knew the Transmission was gone. And I need a new one. What Brand Name as Great as Honda could build such a car that a transmission would Die at that mileage or less? Why all the hype and BS on how great foreign cars are in comparison to US cars? They are all machines built by humans and other machines. Some at high labor rates and others at lower rates, Same crap. Sometimes these companies get so wrapped up in competition that cars have to to finished ASAP - regardless of the outcome. Imagine if you went to the hospital for surgery and they had to fix you up ASAP regardless of your outcome later? Won't happen. Why? Because there are Lawsuits involved. Major ones. Which is why Doctors/Hospitals have to carry huge insurance policies and have a good lawyer at their side. But we are speaking about machines folks. And these car companies make so much money from you and me being sold on the Hype that their Car is the Best! A Hyundai is better than a Honda. And cheaper too. When you compare the Transmission issue at discussion. I am in no way downplaying Hyundai. It is a car also. A machine. Just a different Brand. You know, like Levis jeans to 7 Brand jeans. And so, without going off the deep end, here is what happened next. You will love this! After 2 weeks of back and forth conversation with Honda, they decided to replace my Transmission. Great! At no extra charge! They ordered me a new transmission and shipped it to the dealership in Valley Stream, NY. At 83,000 miles, my Honda Accord had a New Life. A New Heart! And telling Honda how grateful I was and satisfied - so much that I would buy Honda again. Yes! But not so fast folks. Because 50,000 miles later, I am in the same boat again. The Brand New Transmission that they replaced in my car is done. Over. Dead! Can you believe that? Only 50,000 miles of life on this one. Not 83,000. And, I did not even have the chance to drive my car for an extra 3,000 miles. I pulled the car out one morning, and it happened on that one day drive. I called Honda again only to be told that they will not look at the problem in so far as the Transmission is concerned. Honda will look at the problem in the sense that my car has 133,000 miles on it. They will not look at it in the consumer sense that their New Transmission only lasted 50,000 miles. And so folks, I can give a shot to see what they may do. Or, I can choose to say that I will buy a bicycle. Get some exercise. Not have to pay for gas. And really Go Green! That is going Green! All the other hype is BS. As long as you are in a vehicle putting out fumes, you are Not Green. I am Red right now. Seeing Red as may be said. Red at Honda for putting all of us consumers at a loss. Next time, buy American at least. Let's keep the pissed off people here in the Good Ole USA.

Thank you.

- , Long Beach, NY, USA

Apr 282009

Accord EX 4 cyl

Add me to the list of unsatisfied Honda Accord owners. I bought this car thinking I would be driving it for 150,000 miles, at least (with some maintenance of course). I was told it was a reliable car that would last me 200,000 miles if I took care of it, and I did. I bought it brand new in 2002, changed the oil regularly, etc. At 96,000 miles, the transmission began slipping in 3rd. When I found out it cost over $3,000 to bring it back to manufacture standards, I said forget it. I was not about to put that kind of money in a 7-year-old car. To find out they knew about this problem with the valves and did nothing about it. Never will a buy a Honda again. Thing didn't even last to 100,000 miles. Most Hyundai last that.

- , Boonton, NJ, USA

Nov 122008

Accord VP

So far I purchased two accords, both of them have transmission problems. My first accord is a used one built in 1989. At 90,000 miles the transmission jerked badly, I thought that maybe the previous owner did not take care of the car. Instead of learning a lesson, I bought a new accord VP in 2002. At only 78,000 miles in 2008, this new accord transmission started jerking badly. I dropped the accord to local Union Park Honda dealer for checking. They charged me $50 and told me the transmission is fine. But afterward, the jerking got worse over time. So I brought my car for checking again 3 months later, they charged me another $50 and told me that the transmission is bad and need to be replaced. The cost for repairing is $2900, and they are willing to give me $600 discount. I spoke with American Honda, and the case manager was not able to help me anything. I don't have money to fix the problem now. I used to trust Honda reputation, now here is what I got. I would like to talk with American Honda again. How come that I paid premium price for accord and got a sh*tty car in return? Do not buy Honda car in future!

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

May 012009

Accord LX V4

Honda is a big rip off and is betraying customers saying that they last long. It is not true friends.....My 2002 Honda Accord..all of a sudden starts jerking and slipping the transmission. I always had timely service and maintenance...I don't know how the heck this can happen???? Also my Honda dealer said it would cost me $3100+ dollars to get it fixed...When I protested, Honda said they will reduce the cost to $2300. But my questions is.." Why the Heck I would pay for some thing which is manufactured wrong?" And There are 140+ customers complaining about it. Lets do the class action law suit....anyone interested..please email me on patelnicu@gmail.com

- , North Port, FL, USA

Jul 162008

Accord SE 4 cyl

Hey, I thought I was the only one. My car has been slipping and jerking for sometime. Back in 2006-2007 the dealership (Honda) told me to be careful because there was a loose piece somewhere in my transmission. They didn't know what it was. The car didn't start slipping really bad until 2008-2009. It seemed to clear up whenever I got my oil changed. Now I just recently had a diagnostic from Honda and they said its the transmission. I was told by a mechanic that there were a lot of people with the same problem. The should have been a recall from Honda. I'm pissed!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 012009

Accord LX 2.3L I4

My car's problems actually began to occur when the weather started to turn colder, sometime in November of 2008. Whenever I pressed on the accelerator pedal, the car would hesitate, start to accelerate, and then the RPM's would jump way up. The first thing I did was to check the transmission fluid level, only to discover that it was fine. Next, I brought my car in to my Honda dealership. They have serviced my car practically from the day it was purchased brand new. I told them the problems I was experiencing and they recommended that I contact Honda directly at the 800-999-1009 number. I was a bit disappointed that my Honda's Service Dept. didn't offer to do anything more than that. So, I contacted American Honda, and after having waited more than fifteen (15) minutes for someone to take my call, I hung up. I haven't called back since. In the meantime, I decided to do some Internet research on my car's problems. It led me to this website where I found an unbelievably high number of other 2002 Honda Accord owners who share similar problems with me. I am very concerned that without a class action lawsuit against Honda, we owners will continue to shell out $3,000 or more for a (more than likely rebuilt and not new) transmission. Does anyone out there have any advice/good news for me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- , Cicero, IL, USA

Apr 242009

Accord EX 3.0L

I purchased my Honda Accord with 69,000 miles on it due to the reliability and reputation of Honda's. After purchasing I was amazed to find out how many transmission problems they had. I thought I would take great care of this car and I did had routine maintenance performed when it was scheduled. IT DIDN'T MATTER! After having the car only about 10 months the car began to slip and jerk when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and started making a horrible humming noise (the tranny was shaking). I was told it was going to cost $2,800 to repair...unbelievable! I asked the mechanic how many they have had to replace due to this problem, and he said "I cant keep track, over 120" Are you kidding me something needs to be done about this problem! they told me since my car wasn't reading a code no recall could ever be put in place for this problem.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Jan 222007

Accord EX 3.2L V6 VTEC

I have a 2002 Honda Accord V6 VTEC, at about 55k I noticed bad slipping. My mechanic (who i trust wholeheartedly, everyone in the Conejo/San Fernando Valley should use Calabasas Car Care) told me he has had recalls on my exact same model and to check w/ a dealer. I went to the Woodland Hills Keyes Honda and told them and they ran my VIN and found no recall in effect for my vehicle.

This morning I started my car and it revved all the way up to 7000 RPM before making a loud "chunk" and my TCS and Check Engine light coming on. I drove it carefully to Keyes who told me they would charge me $90 just to look at it and couldn't get to me before 1. I will take it to my mechanic and have him fix it then start the nagging process with Honda to reimburse my expense. I will be fixing up my car immediately for sale so I can get a more reliable car.

- , Woodland Hills, CA, USA

May 082005

Accord SE 4 cyl

Well this car was relatively new but just out of normal warranty. Thankfully my wife purchased the extended warranty. Too bad the replacement transmission just crapped out on me with 95,000 miles on it. WTF is that about?

- , Cohoes, NY, USA

Apr 142009

Accord SE 4 cyl

Well this is transmission number two for this car with less than 100,000 miles on it. The first transmission crapped out at 35,000 miles and was replaced via extended warranty. Now this one I have to pay for at the tone of $2,500. Honda really needs to own up to this and admit they have a problem. A transmission should last longer than 50,000 miles. Hell my first one went at 35,000....

This sucks and I will never buy a Honda again.

- , Cohoes, NY, USA

Feb 282009

Accord EX 3.0L

Well I didnt' know the extent of the issue until I wanted to trade my 2002 Accord in at a Honda dealership. The tech told me that the car needed a transmission and it would cost me $2,500!!!!! Okay, I have been a long time Honda fan and as a matter of fact, I told my friend to buy one based on the history my family has had with Honda. Now I hear they will not replace the transmission on a car they knew had problems? I am not happy, nor should anyone else be who owns this year make and model Honda. Not only that, but the dealership manager was so rude!!!

I plan to fight this to the end and yes I would be interested in a lawsuit. This is bad customer service and just to think, I used to respect Honda as a good car maker? Honda, if you are reading these complaints, take them seriously. Your reputation is in jeopardy with a long time fan and many others, and if you don't make it right, I am leaving you company and marrying into Toyota!!! Do the right thing!

Keith

Aurora, CO

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Nov 012008

Accord EX 4.0 L

I bought a Honda based on its' reputation and now at ONLY 70,000 miles later, my Honda is at the transmission shop waiting to get repaired. I first noticed a high pitch noise when accelerating and then I was told I had a leaking seal. Now I have noticed a hard shift into 1st and 2nd and also a sticking when first starting out. I put money into old cars for years and was tired of wondering when my old car would die on me, so I bought Honda based on their long running reputation! I planned on being able to drive this car years after it was paid off before having any significant problems. Now that my car was paid in full on March 7, 2009 I have to replace the transmission when there is ONLY 70,000 miles on it!

Thanks to this website I am happy to find out I am NOT the ONLY one with the problem. I fully intend on calling Honda America on Monday and file my complaint so that I may hopefully recover some of the repair costs or help to get this problem recalled. No one should have to replace a transmission in a car with ONLY 70,000 miles!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 162009

Accord SE 4 cyl

After marrying into a Honda family, my wife was a big supporter of Honda based on the projected longevity of their vehicles. Needless to say when it came time to purchase a vehicle; Honda was originally our first choice. Coming from a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville; I had become accustomed to the costs associated with fixing cars with higher miles. We didn't want to purchase a vehicle that needed major repairs once it hit 100,000 miles so we figured we'd continue her family's tradition and purchase a Honda Accord. We bought it with 50,000 miles right as it came off of a "Honda Certified" previous owner. A small shop in town only sold vehicles that came off of "Honda certified". We purchased the car at 50,000 miles; seemingly great condition. Last summer (08'), I started to notice the RPM's were creeping up from first to second gear...sort of like you had slipped the car in neutral for a second...then back into drive (automatic). Not knowing a great deal about cars; this was my first 4 cyl. engine so I just figured the car didn't have as much power as all the V-8 and V-6 cars I had previously owned. The problem progressed to sometimes where it would seem like 2-3 seconds of that "neutral slipping feeling" when the automatic transmission went from 1st to 2nd gear. We had the problem looked at, only to find that at 80,000 miles the car is in jeopardy of having to have the transmission repaired at a projected cost of $2,000-2,500. The local Honda dealers indicated that "1999 - 2001 Accords would have been under warranty, but 02'...sorry basically you're screwed". I immediately got online, and found several people with the same reviews of the 2002 Accord...what B.S. When you purchase a vehicle in today's economy; you almost buy into that company. Honda's image is now crushed in my mind. I would expect a second rate company to treat customers like this; not Honda but perhaps they are now a second rate company. The fact that Honda doesn't realize this; they've missed the picture big time. Who has major mechanical defects with 3 straight years of vehicles with something as significant as a transmission...then honors an extended warranty (after a law suit) and then proceeds to have a bull crap policy that the new year's warranty is worse than the previous years for the same part? It's like saying "sorry, you're an idiot customer to buy our "newer" product...the old version had a better warranty". Honda has lost a lifetime customer, and I'll be certain to pass this information along to everyone I ever meet who's looking to purchase a vehicle.

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 212009

Accord EX 4 cyl

The car "dropped hard" into third. The Check Engine light came on and the D4 light started blinking (I didn't even know that light could blink). After that, the car would not downshift on its own. I discovered this when I was in the midst of oncoming traffic and my car wouldn't go anywhere. I was able to manually downshift. Once the car warmed up, it was fine. Two repair shops first told me that I need to replace a solenoid for $300 and then came back to tell me the transmission was shot and needed to be replaced. AAMCO wanted $2,800 to rebuild my transmission, but culdn't guarantee that there would be no other costs. The Honda dealer quoted $2,800 for an entirely rebuilt transmission with a 3/36 warranty. The dealer made a single call to Honda and they agreed to cover some of the cost. I ended up paying $1,500. I am going to write to Honda and ask for the rest, but I doubt I will get anything. I am annoyed, but glad Honda covered some of the cost and even gladder (is that word?) that I did not go to AAMCO.

- , Newtown, PA, USA