Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 13 of 18)

Oct 312008

This is in regards to my other post (#15). After getting the trans tested and it came back BAD, I contacted corporate Honda. My rebuilt trans (trans #2) had 38k and is going bad again. Honda said they would only split 60/40 meaning I would have to pay $1000 out of pocket. Since the first trans had been replaced for free, i was only covered for 1yr/12k. After arguing with them for 3 weeks (they do not return phone calls very timely), I got them to pay for 75% and I pay 25% ($625). I am told now that I am paying I will get a 3yr/36,000 miles warranty. S|I am now waiting for trans #3 for this car. Will drive it another 36k and get it tested, if bad again, i'll have Honda replace it for free and get rid of it.

Update from Nov 18, 2009: Transmission #3 dying not waiting for #4. A friend of mine who does car auctions, his mechanic said he will retire and put his kids through college off of early 2000's Accords, Civic, and Odyssey transmissions. The reason these transmissions are bad is because the injectors inside the transmission are too small, starving the transmission of fluid and burning it up. The "Honda Remans" you get will have the same problem. You'll get the same crap and it'll happen again. I do 2 long trips a year, 80mph x 18 hours straight explains the problem.

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Accord SE $L

I've had the car for 4 years, and notice this transmission for about a year. The D4 shift kept blinking and check engine light remained illuminated. When I took the car to my mechanic, he informed me that it is not engaging a new transmission. When my wife researched this site to find that this was a very common occurrence with this car, I was not happy. So, I'm registering my complaint and will support any endeavor to make Honda and obsolete purchase or have them honor their product by providing a vehicle that doesn't have transmission problems.

- , Middletown, MD, USA

Nov 172008

Accord EX V6

I have a 2002 Accord, loved it when I got it. It was a leased car so I bought it at exactly 36000 miles. I never had a problem, kept the up with the maintenance on the car with my local mechanic. I had a recent issue with the brake light always being on and then finally the other lights started to come on; got nervous and called my mechanic he stated that it sounded like an alternator problem so I got that replaced just this Saturday pass. On Monday night driving from home, my check engine light came as well as the TCS light, oh and the D4 started flashing. Took off today (Tuesday) and gave the car to my mechanic he stated that I have a transmission problem, he called the dealership and was told that my year did not have transmission problem, so he asked me to call Corporate to see if I can get anywhere with them being as though I do not have a warranty anymore and that they should help me. All they did was give me a case number but the customer service guy stated the same thing that the dealership said to my mechanic. So, now I got my mechanic calling corporate to see if he can get anywhere.

I have a bad feeling that I will be stuck paying for a astronomical bill at the end, after already giving my mechanic $550.00 just this past weekend for the alternator and inspections. This will probably be my last Honda and I will go with Toyota from this point forth if there is no resolution.

- , Upper Darby, PA, USA

Oct 022008

Accord EX V6

hi am shane and I am very upset that Honda dealers have no concern how hazard this problem with 2002 transmission can be. I am still driving my car till I find and used transmission. The Honda Co. dealers service department asked me do I have an extended warranty, I said yes, so he looked up my vin and told me sir your extended warranty has just expired. The repair will be my expense of $3400.00 with 3yr warranty.

I told him that this is very unusual for transmission on honda to go out at 80k, he then said am sorry the #130 code and 180 mean its internal problem in transmission.

I told him then fix it and tell Honda to pay for it, He laughed and said no that your responsibility to fix. I told him an internal failure should be a recall .

No response and walked away. Please help me voice my concern to Honda and help get this problem fixed before someone maybe hurt or killed.

I do not understand why Honda is waited to call the vehicles 2002 in for transmission problem at low mileage. Yes I did buy my car for the confidence of reliability from honda and hope to hear them call the vehicle in.

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

Oct 292008

Accord SE 4 Cycl

My 2002 Honda Accord was properly maintained according to the extreme level of use specified in the owner's manual. I went to drive to work one morning and my d4 light began to flash and my check engine light came on. ECU codes 700 708. The transmission is failing. I found this website and determined that it is in fact a problem. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they offered to fix it for $2500, down from $3500, with a re-manufactured transmission with a 3-year warranty. I called Honda Corp of America and ended up speaking to the same woman who approved the 25% discount. Honda should be sued for their lack of quality. I have owned 3 Honda's in my lifetime and because of this I will NEVER purchase another one and I recommend that everyone who reads this avoid Honda like the plague, as they refuse to stand behind their product. Honda refuses to take responsibility for their defective transmissions. The 01 Transmission problems resulted in a class-action lawsuit that force Honda to extend the warranty. The same transmission is used in the 02 accords, and Honda has done nothing for the consumers who have been inconvenienced by it.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Sep 152008

Accord LX 4 cyl

Transmission was making noise and slipping at 50k, finally got bad at 60k. Took it to the dealer and told them I owned that and a Civic, and that my family combined owned 8 Honda's, all great except for my accord. I normally never take my car to the dealer, but thanks to reading this site and getting a tip to ask for the Good Will discount from the dealer I decided to take it in. Sure enough they said it needed to be replaced and that they would split the cost with me 50/50. My car runs like new now. Trans. included a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty too. Too bad it still cost me $1400.

- , Renton, WA, USA

Sep 222008

Accord EX V6

Bought my 2002 V6 Honda Accord brand new. Also purchased the Honda maintenance package, had all service performed regularly, timely & at the dealer. I've taken it to a reputable mechanic ever since. Noticed some hesitation in the transmission about 1 week ago. Now it is slipping terribly & failing quickly. Called Honda Cust Service (800-999-1009) to see if there is a transmission recall & rep says there's no record, not even for 2001 Accords. Repair is costing $2,200 & is holding up a trip to the mountains...

I have always said you can't go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota. Looks like I'm only 1/2 right -- it will ONLY be Toyotas for me going forward.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

May 102007

Bought the car with 45k and around 65k starting slipping first when it was cold. By 80k it was slipping first hot or cold and downshifting (like slowing down for a speed bump and hitting the gas to go again) was a PAINFUL SLIP. My uncle is a mechanic for Honda and had told me they extended the warranty for 98-02 Accord up to 100k. Dealer tested and ordered a rebuilt. They called me 3 days later and had my car for a day to replace it. HE DID SAY IF I GOT NO WHERE WITH THE DEALER, WRITE HONDA OF N. AMERICA AND COMPLAIN, THEY WILL REPLACE THEM FREE UP TO100K. I have 127k now and it is starting to show signs of going bad again. Called Honda corporate, they didn't seem to care. Sucks, my first Honda has 245k and my friend still drives it daily, this one though.... its a shame, really only problem i had with this car.

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Apr 182006

Accord EX V4

I've noticed this problem for well over a year but everytime I've taken it in I've been told there's no problem with the transmission!!! The transmission keeps slipping and jerking. It started around 75k and is getting worst at 107k. I've noticed that if i accelerate slowly it doesn't happen very often but if I'm trying to accelerate to pass somebody or go through an intersection the call jerks violently and slows down. This is a safety concern and should be replaced for FREE by Honda. I bought a Honda and if I wanted my transmission to go be faulty I would have bought a Ford!!!!!!! Like others on here I am a college student and do not have the funds to spend another dime on this car. I bought a Honda figuring it would last me through college and well into my career but I guess I was wrong.

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Jun 162007

Accord LX V4

Honda had the worst service I ever seen. I had an independent shop fix my transmission because Honda wanted 700 more for the sane job. I will never choose a Honda dealership to service my vehicle again; I was cheated twice on my brake replacement. I would not recommend buying a Honda

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 012008

Accord 4 cyl 2.2L

I thought I could go at least 10 years on my Accord without any significant problems. But I was floored when I was told my car needed a new transmission at 100k. I was told by one dealer that it would be $4000 and Aamco told me it could be anywhere from $2000-$3000 (of course I had to pay about $1000 just for them to take the transmission apart). I called American Honda Co. and they were no help saying that there was no recall and I asked for a goodwill repair and they said it wasn't possible.

Another deal I contacted contacted American Honda Co on my behalf and surprisingly they offered a 50/50 split on the repair. I'm happy that I got it fixed at a reduced rate but I'm not happy because this really should not have happened. And I'm shocked to see that it's happened to so many 2000-2003 Accords. My previous car was a 1997 Accord and I've been a big fan of Hondas but I'm pretty sure this will be my last.

- , Seal Beach, CA, USA

Sep 222008

Accord EX 3.2L V4

The transmission slips and jerks. Out of the blue the transmission started having problems changing from first gear to second gear. We have drained the transmission and put fresh transmission in the car and it has not done any good! Honda needs to recall this transmission, there is definitely a manufacture problem.

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Aug 032008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Honda should be responsible for transmission failure. Ten and fifteen cases might not qualify for Honda's fault but there are hundreds of them and I am pretty sure that there still are more owners who doesn't know about this site and where to voice their frustration are quietly suffering.

- , Ocean City, MD, USA

Jun 082007

Accord EX V6

I didn't know that there was a recall on all 2002/V6. When my car started jerking i brought it to DALY CITY HONDA. and they said it was something totally different on the engine that I had to replace it. and that it would cost me 2,000 Gs because it wasnt under warranty anymore at 80,000 miles. ( Umm broke collage student here). I'm now just finding out about this whole recall. and Im extremely pissed. Honda should recall all 2002/v6 no matter what this is safety issue. isnt it. and it should be at HONDA's expense. 100,000+ miles on my car its now not under 106,000miles warranty . WTF ?? I will call tomorrow morning and see what i can do.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 072008

Accord SE 2.3L

I took my car in at 70,000 miles to get the transmission flushed. Then I had taken it to a Honda dealership to prepare it for winter. At the time the technician mentioned the transmission fluid smelt different and asked if it was truly transmission fluid; which it was. However, later I found out this was only a symptom of my transmission slipping. At 97,000 miles I took it in for a diagnostics test on the transmission and found out the transmission was slipping. It just got worse from there, I replaced the transmission from Honda. I am glad I had it done by my long time mechanic. The 1st automatic transmission was defective and the 2nd has not failed, however its not as smooth as I had anticipated.

I had this job completed at 102,000 and now have 112,000. This is my first Honda Automatic and I will only buy a Honda with a Manuel Transmission. I wish Honda had a recall on this.

- , Salem, OR, USA

Mar 042007

Accord EX 2.3L 4

Always heard of how great Honda is. To my surprise all the cars we have own Honda is the only one with a transmission that needs to be replaced. Similar to other posts on this car, transmission started to slip and jerking when it sh*ts. After having two shops, one being the Dealer; both say the transmission needs to be replaced. Plan to contact Honda of America to see if they will replace.

- , Carmichael, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Accord EX V4

I bought a used 2002, v4 Honda accord in 2007 (1 year ago). It currently has 57K miles on it and the transmission started slipping with no signs of failure leading up to this. I took it in to get 2 estimates - at a Honda dealership and at a different company that fixes cars. Both said that the transmission is beyond repair and needs replaced (and not under warranty and no recalls were documented for this car/issue).

I need to pay $2600-$2800 for a new transmission.

- , Cincinn, OH, USA

Feb 012008

Accord Special Edition 4 cyl

My transmission went out @ 119,00 on my 2002 Accord 4 cyl. Mostly all highway mileage (work commute) as we/my wife racks up around 70 miles minimum per day on the vehicle for 6 days a week.

With that said you can see that the transmission should not have gone out under these circumstances.

You will have to get your car fixed at a Honda dealer which means you will have to pay at least $3000 up front. After that hassle - and I do mean hassle, the Honda dealer will most likely try and bend you over on the repair price because the service dept people have to get their cut too. Bunch of rip off artists and double talkers! I had a very bad experience with Brandon Honda in Florida and will never return there again after the treatment I received by them. Even though they gave me a "next service free" card I will not go back!

A side note about Brandon Honda (in Florida) - when they rode with me to diagnose the problem - the service personnel guy told my wife and I how much these parts actually cost and how the employees get really good discounts and he also said we should just trade the car off to the dealer across the street from Brandon Honda!

I have only scratched the surface here about Brandon Honda's customer service - let's just say they were less than honest on the estimate and the final total of the repair cost. After haggling between the 2 guys at the service desk over the final price and what they quoted me as an estimated price - in other words Brandon Honda exceeded the estimate price and continued work on the vehicle without my permission. This is against the law in Florida. But why should something like that stop them? hardee har har.

About 2 days after the car was fixed it sat there at Brandon Honda and the service guys ( at least one was) getting a little irate (as I was too) over the whole dealing of the matter. It wasn't my fault they were greedy. Of course I haven't told you everything about the conversations Brandon Honda and I had phone-wise and in person while the vehicle was being fixed. But needless to say Brandon Honda was less than honorable in their dealings with me.

Now where was I - oh yeah - finally one of the service guys went off on me via the phone using an irritated voice and unprofessional language! Very professional - wouldn't you say?. But of course you won't believe me because I have an axe to grind and Brandon Honda has sooo many satisfied customers that I must surely be making this up. It happened.

After you walk out of the Honda dealership (Brandon Honda) with a new reaming, and head spinning from the double talking and a lighter/non existent wallet - you will need to call Honda and ask for a "good-will repair" - even though you are out of warranty.

Honda Corp. knows they have a faulty product and you must tell them that you know that and ask them what they can do for you to resolve the problem and the cost this has incurred on you. Don't get snotty or threaten them with litigation, just be cool and forthright.

Honda Corp. then will give you a case # and you may be bounced around between several case workers over a period of 2 months. This is normal as Honda Corp. hopes you will give up and not bother with them.

Don't give up - keep calling them at least twice a week until you get satisfaction.

This is what I did and Honda Corp. settled with me for $1800. I received the check within 4 days after a 2 month phone game with them.

And yes - I did call Honda Corp about Brandon Honda's treatment of their customer.

Thanks autobeef - I feel better now.

- , Gibsonton, FL, USA

Jul 142008

Accord Special Edition 4 cyl, 2.3L Ulev

I hate it when it happens, I stay in SF and driving in the city is a pain with this car as I have to stop frequently and it jerks shaking everybody inside. Everytime it happens I hate Honda for NO HELP.

I called Honda Customer Care and they say that the warrant is 3 years or 36k miles, whichever is earlier, so its not under warranty anymore and they cant offer any help. I registered a complaint with NHTSA but Honda customer service has asked me to get it fixed from a Honda dealer and then get back to them for any relief they might offer. Seems again like offering them some business a chance of getting sucked again.

I am not sure what I can do now hopefully there us some cheap solution to my problem or some relief from Honda. I have mostly owned and driven a Honda and I think I shouldn't have depended on just one brand.

- , San Franscisco, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Accord SE 2.3L

Following is my post on transmission "hesitates and shifts very hard" section. I hope it is informative and might help in dealing with Honda. Bill

After reading this forum I decided to call Honda of America on July 8. I spoke with Bertha and she said I would have to take the car to a dealer for a diagnosis. I made a appointment with Mistlin Honda, Modesto Ca. to bring the car in July 11. Mistlin service adviser Bob Wynashe had a technician diagnose the problem with the transmission. He concluded the transmission should be replaced. Bob said he would speak with the Honda rep and get back to me. Bob call approx. two hours later and said Honda would replace the transmission and converter if I would pay approx. $800.00 labor. I agreed and took the car in yesterday. I picked the car up today and the bill was $640.00 or $160.00 less than the estimate. I am totally satisfied with the dealer and a little disappointed with Honda. They know the transmission is a piece of junk and should recall all the 2002 Accords and Civics. However, $640.00 sure beats $3500.00.

If anyone would like to use this information when dealing Honda the dealers' work

order number is: 187866 (Mistlin Honda, Modesto Ca.)

- , Patterson, CA, USA