CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.0

$2,499.00

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 17 of 18)

Sep 192007

Accord LX

No real warning on this one because the car has always run great. Then one day about two weeks ago the transmission would rev up before going into 2nd gear. Thought it was strange, planned on having it checked. Then one morning it reved up and I heard a loud bang and the engine light came on the dash and D started blinking and car had no power. Drove slowly back to my house as I hadn't gotten very far and called a tow truck. Luckily the rebuilt transmission and labor Honda is paying for. But how long will that one last??? Sad because my husband's Civic has been the best car ever. I guess the Accord will get traded. Too bad, I liked it.

- , Manchester, NH, USA

Aug 132007

Accord V6

I bought my Honda with 13,000 mile and now at 60,000 my transmission is slipping. I have learned that with a very large number of these transmissions out there defective, Honda has not recalled it. I do know that there is a recall for the 2001. What can we do to get this transmission recalled? I did notice that some people on this sight got the dealer to split the cost. I would appreciate if someone would let me know how you pulled that off.

- , Margate, FL, USA

Aug 092007

Accord EX V6

I am appalled! Yesterday while driving my 2002 Honda Accord EX, I came to a stop and the transmission indicator and the TCS indicator popped on, and the "D" (drive) indicator began flashing. I immediately drove the car the two blocks to our Honda service shop. I was shocked when they told me that this was a common problem with Honda transmission and the only solution is a new transmission ($3200!!). I was even MORE shocked when advised that Honda had an extended warranty for my exact model through the year 2001 but 2002 is NOT COVERED! It's the exact same car as 2001! Nothing changed on the Accord until 2003! I have always been loyal to Honda but I will NEVER buy another Honda. I want a company that will stand behind their product and is fair to their customers. This is obviously not HONDA.

- , Oregon City, OR, USA

Aug 032007

Accord EX V6

Tranny slipped between 3rd & 4th first drive of the day. Also a high whine began. Honda replaced it under extended warranty. Great service but no mention that this was a common problem. Now I'm wondering how long the current tranny will last. Did they fix this problem?

- , Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Jul 302007

Accord V6

SO , LIKE MOST OF YOU ON HERE I TOO HAVE BEEN ADVISED, AND ADVISED AND ADVISED AGAIN TO GET INTO A HONDA. THEY ARE GREAT CARS!! FEED THEM OIL AND THEY WILL RUN FOREVER. WELL, THIS IS MY FIRST BIG PURCHASE ON MY OWN. I PAID 10.5 FOR THE THING AND HAVE HAD IT 3 MONTHS. THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT. 3 FREAKIN' MONTHS AND THEN ONE DAY WHILE COMING TO A STOP THE DRIVE LIGHT STARTS BLINKING AND THE ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON, SO I TURN THE CAR OFF AND THEN BACK ON AND ALL LIGHTS STOPPED EXCEPT THE ENGINE LIGHT. SO, WE RESET THE DASH TO SEE IF OUR EYES WERE DECEIVING US AND HERE WE ARE 2 MONTHS LATER AND ON OUR THIRD EPISODE. SAME THING. DRIVE LIGHT BLINKS AND THE TCS LIGHT FLASHES AND THE ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON. THIS TIME WE HAVE NOT RESET IT AND HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A TRANSMISSION PLACE TO SEE WHAT THEY CAN POSSIBLY DIAGNOSE FOR US 8/2. GOSH I HOPE IT IS NOT THE DAMN TRANSMISSION!!!

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ONE TO PREACH AND BUY AMERICAN, BUY AMERICAN AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH AMERICAN CARS!! FINALLY I GET CONVINCED TO GET INTO "THE GREAT HONDA" AND LOW AND BEHOLD IT LOOKS LIKE THE TRANSMISSION WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED?????

HOPE HONDA WILL HELP OUT. PLAN ON COMPLAINING TO ALL WHO WILL LISTEN!!! FUNNY, THE DEALERSHIP I GOT IT FROM DID NOT PROVIDED ANY EXTENDED WARRANTY?? HMMM

SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT CAMRY!!

- , Providence, RI, USA

Jul 232007

Accord EX V6

Have been feeling transmission struggle to shift into gear - check engine light recently went on with "D" light on transmission flashing . Took the vehicle into Honda dealership and it looks like approximately $2400 in repairs for the transmission alone. Am waiting to hear back from American Honda re: case details. Feel free to drop me a comment if you need any advice or want an update on the repair! Good luck in getting these complaints resolved and the consumer empowered!

- , Missouri City, TX, USA

Jul 212007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

No problem at all since I bought 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 however the transmission felt little funny. The D light on the dashboard was flashing. The 4th gear did not work. Other gears worked fine. I send my car to the dealer. Technician could not find any problem. I took my car back. I drove it about 4000 miles. Again D light was flashing. I send it back, technician found and replaced the transmission but the extend warranty covered it. I found out that the transmission was made in America. I will refuse to buy any Honda vehicles with the transmission America made. I had an Acura Integra, no transmission problem since 1992. Japan made it. Anyway, I will plan to buy Acura TSX, all parts of TSX are made in Japan. I trust Japanese made. ;) I love Honda but some are made in America. :(

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 202007

Accord LX

Started up car one morning and it wouldn't go in reverse. My mileage was a little over 74,500. I had just had the car serviced for an oil change at the dealer 5 days earlier. I tried driving the car to work and slipped and jerked the whole way. I noticed the engine light was on. Took it to local repair shop and they quoted $2200. plus tax to install transmission. The owner stated he had never seen a Honda need a transmission repair at this low mileage. I decided to call the Honda dealer back and complain. He stated he'd call manufacturer and get a tranny replacement free and I would only pay labor. I paid $640. and the manufacturer was billed #1350.00.

- , Castle Rock, WA, USA

Jul 142007

Accord EX V6

We purchased a 2002 Accord, because Honda's have a reputation for good reliability. I only wish that I had researched the Honda Accord much more thoroughly. The transmission problems with Honda Accords are legendary. Honda recalled the 01 tranny, however, the 2002 tranny has the same problems, and Honda will not cover the costs to repair/replace the problem system. I will never purchase another Honda vehicle. I will also discourage my friends and relatives from purchasing Honda cars. The Honda company does not stand behind their product.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 052007

Accord SE 4 cyl

Just bought this car 4 months ago used. All regular maintenance had been done, including the tranny fluid. Out of nowhere the transmission has delayed shifting and jerks when shifting into/out of gears. After seeing the other complaints, I think we need a recall.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 262007

Accord LX 4 cyl

Under warranty the transmission was downshifting without any acceleration and on cruise control. Up shifting in town was rough and jerked as if the brakes were on. We complained to the dealer and the shop foreman refused to test drive it claiming it was not on any recall. At 85K miles, it failed. I contacted Honda Japan, Honda California and the local dealer who said there was nothing on the shop computer that we brought to their attention other than the question of a recall while it was under warranty. The dealer wanted $4500 for a factory rebuilt transmission. Honda California would give a $1500 discount if we could prove we complained under warranty. Then the dealer said there was nothing logged in on their shop computer system under warranty (they lied). I had it repaired by a trusted transmission shop for $1600 and was told the clutch discs were defective in this transmission that would clog up the filter that was not accessible unless the transmission was R&R or repaired. The clutch discs were replaced with a higher quality item than the original Honda parts. The mechanic warned us not to allow anyone to change the fluid except them as some dealers would "back flow" the fluid and cause the filter to clog and rendering the transmission inoperative. I've had 5 Honda Accords and that is the last Honda product I will buy in the future as I had no problems with the previous 3 and one was 20 yrs old and another was 14 yrs old when sold. One was wrecked at 1 year old. I hesitate to change transmission fluid by the dealer or to have any maintenance done there and that is England Motor Co, in Greenville, MS.

- , Greenville, MS, USA

May 032007

Accord 3.2

The dealer offered to pay 25% of its overpriced fixed claiming they would have replaced it free after a recall notice never recieved/ sent to an old address. And, they claim, if "one owner, they would have replaced it (I bought it new for daughter one who gave it to daughter two.) With the recall notice, I suspect there are quite a few folks out there who have had problems. Many probably aren't complaining because their dealers may have made the repair. Many others may be in the same boat. I'm going to check with the NTSB to see if there have been any accidents related to and documented secondry to transmission defects. Any further suggestions welcome.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 112007

Accord

The transmission just went out on my 2002 Honda Accord as I was about 1.5 hours from home and out in the middle of nowhere. Reluctantly, I ended up driving the car home having issues when I needed to stop and start, but using the lower gears to get the car moving. I actually was able to use the interstate and maintain about 80 mph in my rush. I then took it to the nearest Honda dealership where the Service department was extremely helpful diagnosing the problem and getting me into a rental car. This was Saturday and I had to wait until Monday to learn that Honda was paying for the new transmission and I would be responsible for the labor (I did not purchase the extended warranty when I had the chance). Total cost to me ended up being $1250.00 because they also recommended a new battery which I thought would be good too. I cannot even believe how great the service department at this dealership has been! I would have though I was driving a top-of-the-line luxury car by the way I was treated and how effective they were getting the issue resolved with my car. Now, I only got the car back today but I am hopeful the issue is completely resolved.

- , Algonquin, IL, USA

Apr 082007

Accord SE

When I take off in my car for the first time each day, my transmission was slipping and jerking. Now two weeks later after having this problem, my transmission is shot. I drove my car down the street and noticed the drive 4 light flashing and the check engine light flashing. I quickly turned around and parked my car back at home. Now I am awaiting the call I'll receive from the mechanic when I take it in first thing Monday morning. I smell a new transmission...$2,500. I'm not very happy with my Honda and am considering purchasing a new car when this is all said and done.

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Apr 022007

Accord EX 2.3 4cyl

Like many Honda owners I got my 2002 Honda Accord EX thinking that I was getting one of the most reliable cars out there. I was very disapointed to know find out that is was not like that at all. My reliable car's transmission just gave out, and I could not believe it when the mechanic told me. It will cost me about $2,500 to repair it. This is the worst thing that could have happend to me. Today I called America Honda and filled a complaint. They informed me that 2002 Accords are not yet under Recall but they might be in the near future. I was told to keep recipts for the repairs, they asure me that if a recall comes out on my 2002 Accord Honda will issue full refunds on repair cost. I guess Honda is not as reliable as we all thought.

- , Redding, CA, USA

Mar 282007

Accord EX V6

My transmission is slipping and jerking and the check engine light is on constantly and the "D4" on the dash blinks intermittently. This car has had all scheduled transmission services and a complete flush and replacement with Honda fluid around 60K and should not be failing at 91,000. My mechanic says I need a new trans. I am also taking the car to Pasadena Honda to see if they can get American Honda to do the right thing and replace it.

- , West Hollywood, CA, USA

Mar 212007

Accord VP 2.3L I4

Bought the car certified used with 19500 miles or so. Worked great. At about 40000 miles the auto would run fine on the highway and city streets if it was cold outside. The summer came and whenever I got off the interstate and hit a red light it would try to move forwards but I had the brakes depressed. Then it would feel like it went into neutral and when I hit the gas it take a split second then engage really hard (jerking sensation) and continue on fine. Took it to honda, said the fluid was burnt and couldn't make the tranny act up. They just changed the filter and fluid. Worked ok until the next summer came and it started to act up again. This is at about 63000 miles. Took it in, called right back and said I need a new tranny put in. With my 100000 mile warranty on engine and powertrain they replaced it for free but took them almost a week to do it. Of course they wouldn't tell what was wrong 'we don't crack them open' he said. I think it was the torque convertor clutch engaging and then letting go but with no check engine lights or anything I guess hondas the only ones who know. It drives fine now with 73000 miles on it and hope thats the end of that.

- , Columbus, GA, USA

Jul 312006

Accord LX

I think that Honda should be paying for these transmission problems. It appears to be the same issues they had with the 2001 models. They have extended the warrenty why not on this model?

- , Tomball, TX, USA

Aug 082006

Accord SE

I bought this car to last several years without any problems and until now I didn't have any. The car is 4 years old and needs and new transmission. I have complained to Honda but they won't cover it entirely. I always bragged about how great Honda is and won't buy anything else but my next car won't be a Honda!

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 242007

Accord EX V6

Got car back (see prior entry)- took one day, car runs fine. No shifting problem. They found that the engine mounts needed replacing when they swapped out the trans, and they did that for free as well, as another "goodwill" warranty item, even though they weren't under warranty. This was Pasadena Honda in Southern California. They were great. Recommend those who are being told to pay for this repair to mention that some are getting "goodwill" replacement of the transmission-- maybe try other dealers.

- , La Canada, CA, USA