Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 18)

Jul 272007

My transmission starting slipping back in 2007, and has continued to jerk, even when being very gentle when pressing down on the accelerator. I prayed over it and considering the problem, the transmission has been a trooper. However, it finally started to go out a few months ago by not going above 20 miles an hour. I paid an extra 10 grand for this car at the time in comparison to the other cars on the market because of their reputation of being reliable cars that goes passed 200k miles. I wanted a car to last, so that is why I passed up that dreamy silver camaro t-top at the time for my black Honda coupe. My car is only around 160k miles right now, and if I knew that Honda decided to stop living up to their reputation, I would have just opted for a cheaper brand car and put the money in the bank. I feel like Honda knows their 2002 Honda Accord transmissions are defective, and they should have done a recall LONG ago. This was my second Honda, and NEVER again will I buy a Honda....sure the engine is a trooper, but I can not even replace my transmission from a junk yard now to keep it ticking longer because I can not rely on the transmission being worth while after reviewing all these complaints. I could have it fixed for $1400 because we know someone. However, why waste my money on another bad transmission? And paying the $2500 to $3000 for a new one is probably not worth investing in this aged car. Guess, we will have to fork out money on a new car soon. My husband starts a new job in a few weeks in another city, and we really need two cars now, and do not have money for a new car or the credit. Yikes, we probably will have to pay for an overpriced rental car until we can get a new one...not cool Honda, not cool at all :(

- , Long Beach, MS, USA

Dec 152007

Accord EX 4 cyl

I have put up with this lame slipping and jerking transmission from Honda for many years. I did not know that this should have been a recall item by Honda based on the number of complaints. Honda transmissions are supposed to last. I chalked it up to avoid Hondas as I do with all bad products and brands.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 172011

I had been through 3 cars before my parents finally told me that I would have to buy my own car. I was told by a salesman at the Gray Daniel's car dealership in Brandon,MS to look at a candy apple red 4 door 2002 honda accord. I loved it. The air worker, it drove like it was brand new. I was finally buying my first car with my own money, only to have the transmission go out not even two months later. Because it was over 200,000 miles on it it wasn't under warranty.

I guess this is my fault, but I honestly thought they would sale me any crap. I had used my refund to buy it so I just end up getting it fixed cause I had no other way of getting around. I am 23 years old jump starting a career and no reliable car. It just hurt my feelings that my hard earn money was wasted. I am so disappoint. Its at the honda place right now while I walk to were I need to go. Sorry I bought that car. I was considering buying a truck after graduation. Not now I'll try a toyota or something.

- , Taylorsville, MS, USA

Oct 032011

Accord 4 cyl

Bought this 2002 Accord w/ 57k miles from Pasadena Honda Dealership Used selection on 10/23/09 and two years later w/ 95.5k the transmission started jerking from 1st to 2nd and out of reverse. Check engine light came on. Mechanic got no usable codes on the computer so did transmission service, but two days later, problem returned and 700 series codes appeared in diagnosis (torque converter gone bad - transmission needs replacing). D4 light also started flashing on the 3rd day after problem returned (on the way to the mechanic's!). $2800 is cost of 3 year warranty Honda Parts dept. Rebuilt transmission and $1100 labor. Honda no longer offering any goodwill repair of any kind. HONDA HAS LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE. Toyota Rav 4 (previous car) drove to 215k without any transmission problem at all. Finally got rear ended and bought the used Honda Accord next. I've learned my lesson. Toyota is a FAR SUPERIOR PRODUCT to Honda at all levels. Be warned!

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 202010

Accord EX 4 cyl

Transmission started slipping and jerking (subtle at first, then got worse), check engine light came on. The dealership wanted to charge me $120 to read the codes (lame), but I went to an independent place who read them for free and rather than give me a quote on the work needed so they could make their money, advised me that I should pursue this with Honda first (Independence Acura in Mountain View, CA)

Honda opened a case for me immediately, but came back and said Labor + Parts would be $3500, and they would pay for $1k, but I'd be responsible for the balance, plus sales tax on the whole thing. I was a little disappointed, given that Honda knew they had a problem here, and other people who posted here got them to ante up more. I'd gone in being willing to pay $2k, and in the end I decided to trade my Accord in and get something I felt like I could rely on.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 022011

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

Hey Honda, In the last 2 years my self and 2 of my kids have aquired our first 3 hondas and my 2002 Accord has developed a transmission that is failing and on it's way out with 127,000 mi. on odometer. With 5 kids and and the last one getting his license next week that is not good news for you people. We just started to go with non-domestic vehicles and didn't hear a thing about your big problems with transmissions until after this developed on my 2002 and now it appears I my be in for a problem with my son's 1999 Accord. It seems as though it may have an all too familiar feel to the shifting. I started to put my faith in Honda and with 5 kids you can imagine I can't afford to start spending the astronomicle amount of money this may require.

You can certainly contact me as soon as possible with a goodwill repair for this problem because you absolutely know that is what is necessary. This is not a problem of your's that should continue to be dumped on your customers.

- , Newburyport, MA, USA

Aug 162011

Accord EX 2.3L L4 Sfi Ohv

For months I have noticed the transmission beginning to slip when accelerating.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 152011

Accord EX V6

Every time when I tried to access intersections, merge to the highway, I felt I have to face severe dangerous situations. I didn't know how fast I can reach and how far away I can get. It's a potential fatal issue on my way with this vehicle.

I ask Honda should pay careful attention to this problem. Don't try to save money by destroying its own reputation and customers' lives.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jul 012011

Accord EX V6

Same song as every other 2002 Accord owner. I've grown up loving Hondas, seeing how reliable they are and have always been. This was the first car I bought when I "grew up" and shelled out money for my own vehicle. Owned it for 7 years, have 101,000 miles on it (nothing for a Honda, as the story goes), take very good care of it and follow maintenance schedule religiously.

Copying this from a previous poster, because it perfectly describes the situation:

"Transmission is slipping and jerking when upshifting and downshifting between 1st and 2nd gear. As you accelerate normally, the tachometer will suddenly zing up past 4k rpms as engine accelerates, but it will fail to shift up to 2nd gear leaving you stranded in the midst of an intersection, on-ramp, or with traffic bearing down on you. You essentially stall (although the engine is running the transmission will not engage). You can only let off the gas and decelerate until the transmission winds down and eventually catches at which point your card will move forward again.

HONDA... HERE IS THE SAFETY ISSUE: using breaks does not help to hasten the re-engagement of your transmission. it only worsens your stranded situation. And without breaking, you are left at the mercy of gaining traffic since the speed of your car, on level or inclining road-grade is at least 15 - 40 mph less than other moving vehicles. PLUS you may not have any place to steer the car out of the way if you could. After the transmission finally engages your car will sluggishly move forward and this to is in a poorly controlled fashion. AND its possible to let into the gas and again find your transmission slipping - you are HOSED !!! as honking horns and screeching vehicles swerve to miss you. "

I expected to drive this car into the ground, but I figured "into the ground" would be closer to 200,000 or beyond. A repair like this seriously makes me question the wisdom of purchasing another Honda in the future. A recall and acknowledgement of the flaw would be appreciated.

- , Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 062011

Accord SE 2.3L V4

2002 Honda Accord SE V4 - 93,500 miles:

While driving home from work, I stopped at a stop light and when I pushed the gas to take off, the car revved, but didn't go for several seconds and then started jerking as the car was trying to engage into first gear. From that point, every time I stopped at a light or stop sign, the transmission slipped, the car jerked wildly and it made horrible noises. Took car into the Honda dealer and was told that the transmission is totally shot and that I need a new one at a cost of $3950.00. Car has been kept up and fluid changes done regularly.

- , Maplewood, MN, USA

May 272011

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Honda should be ashamed. We bought a 2002 Toyota that has 205K on it and the 2002 Honda for our daughter based on Honda's reputation. No problems at all with our wonderful Toyota while our daughter's Accord is in need of a 2500.00 transmission at almost half the mileage of the Toyota. Looks like we will be a one Honda family. Unbelievable there is no recall based on the number of complaints for the transmission on the 2002 Accord....pitiful.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 272011

Accord EX V6

2002 Honda Accord EX V6, Transmission Slips, Jerks - Canada As I've said above, the transmission slips from 1st to 2nd gear. Only about 97,000 kms on it. Had regular service, and first Transmission service was at 55,000 kms, and latest one just a couple weeks ago at 97,000 Dealer has said Transmission will need to be replaced, I know rebuild may be possible, elsewhere. Honda Canada is refusing to cover the total bill, but only a mere $400 of it. Anyone able to help me with this, have you had this problem?

Also, at the same time the Rear Main seal of engine, that is located where the engine bolts onto the transmission, is leaking.

Any and all help appreciated.

Honda Canada says there are no TSB's on the transmission repair problem, or problems with transmission in Canada.

The vehicle is manufactured in the US though. If anyone can offer any help/guidance or know of any TSB's that may relate, here in Canada on the US, i would really appreciate it.

Update from Jan 4, 2012: hi this is KC again. An update on this issue...Honda Canada had only offered (with a discount thru the dealer only) to fix the vehicle (replace the transmission with a rebuilt transmission) for a cost of $3200 plus taxes. (approximately $3500 total) Also, they only offered a 1 year warranty or 20,000 kms whichever came first. I told them what i thought about that - what do they themself think of their transmissions if that's all they offer for a warranty. I decided to go with AAMCO here in Surrey. They rebuilt the transmission, and replaced the torque converter as part of that (replaced all parts that needed replacement - clutches in the transmission, and updated to newest (less problematic parts in it) Their warranty 3 year/60,000kms North America wide, and the cost was $2600 including taxes. (i even got a vehicle to use while it was in the shop) Incidently, the week it was in the shop, AAMCO also had another honda accord (i think it was a 2001 and a Honda Odssey in the shop, also for transmission problems)

Sorry Honda, you aint the reliability you used to be!

- , Surrey, BC, canada

Apr 182011

Accord EX 2.4L

Major automatic transmission problems. When gently stopping the vehicle (at a stop sign, or at a red light), the car lurches forward after it has already come to a complete stop. This happens when it is trying to downshift from second to first gear. Then, there is a five second delay before the car actually engages in first gear (in other words, after I stop, I cannot move the car again for at least five seconds).

Also, sometimes when accelerating, the car slips out of gear for a few seconds (jerks forward and back) and then eventually slips back into gear. Both of these problems occur sporadically. The problem seems to be worse when the car is warmed up.

This car has been well-maintained. I did all of the recommended maintenance service over the years. The car is out of warranty, but I have asked for a goodwill repair from Honda. Still waiting to hear from them! Honda should issue a recall - enough people have had similar transmission problems.

Update from Jul 26, 2011: Update on July 26: American Honda agreed to a Goodwill repair. They paid 50% of the cost for a new transmission.

Over the years, I had done all of the recommended maintenance on the car, plus I had purchased an extended warranty when I first bought the car. I never got a chance to use the extended warranty, because the car didn't really have any problems until now (at 103,000 mi). Once Honda received proof of all that, they were willing to do the Goodwill repair.

I got the new transmission yesterday. It will take me awhile to get used to the car shifting smoothly :)

- , Fairfax Station, VA, USA

May 012011

Accord SE 2.3L

My car is 2002 Honda Accord with 62,400 miles, transmission is slipping and jerking. After researching online on Honda Transmission issues, it is easy to find and see that there is major issues with transmissions not only in our 2002 Honda Accord Sedan but many other honda models!!! After talking to a Honda dealer and calling direct to American Honda I have been getting excuses, run around and just croc of sh*t!!!! Dealer wants like $5000 dollars to fix transmission the best they can do is 50/50. Still leaving a $2500 dollar bill! Are these people crazy!

Anyway the whole point is Honda needs to step up to the plate and take responibilty! They asked for proof of maintenance docs and I have provided them! Now we have not heard backk from either the dealer or American Honda for about a week now!!!!!!

- , Cumberland, RI, USA

Apr 012011

Accord EX 2.3L

My car has very low mileage. Although it is nine years old, I only have 77,000 mile on the car. I haven't repaired it yet because I only found out yesterday that the transmission is failing and my mechanic is recommending I replace it or purchase a rebuilt one.

- , Waltham, MA, USA

Dec 292009

Accord LX 2.3L V4

The first time this happened was at 73k miles, under Honda warranty and was replaced. at about 150k it started doing it the same jerking when the car was first turned on , after about 5 minutes on the road everything would be fine.

Put in a master rebuild kit, twice, and they kept telling a bunch of different stories. After the second master rebuild kit the told me it was the torque converter. Now they want to change the ECM, and I'm not sure it will fix the problem. Help!

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Apr 102007

Accord LX 4 cyl

just was really surprised to feel the transmission giving out at such a low mileage>>>didn't think I was covered, also, thought I was a anomoly>>.that the car was jus a fluke til another Honda Acccord owner on my route had complained about the same thing on his Accord(2001) then he said there were thousands upon thousands of Honda Accord owners of these yrs with the same exact problem>>>then I thought Honda has a problem and they should fix it>>>a Honda Accord transmission should last well over 150,000>>>and not fail at less than a hundred thousand>>>It's funny I kept telling myself this isn't right>>the transmission shouldn't be failing this early>>Honda has a moral right to fix this problem>>>>110 percent Honda's problem>>>Honda needs 2 do the right thing>>>

- , Palm Desert, CA, USA

Jan 132011

Accord SE 2.3L

Dear Honda, or should I say Dear Mr. Takanobu Ito (Honda CEO)

I'm sure Mr. Ito will not read this but what the hell, I am a 24 year old college grad I have been extremely loyal to Honda. I have had 3 Honda's since I turned 16 i am not one to race cars or treat them poorly. I prefer to take great care of my car as I look at a vehicle as an investment. With that being said, I have a few things I would like to get off my chest. We Americans opened our country to you in 1956 to allow you to sell motor vehicles in our country. US Americans are the biggest consumers of HONDA made vehicles. Last year Honda's total revenue was $82,902,262 dollars (source; forbes fin.apps) now honda why cant you recall our transmission? Okay lets look at the numbers, there are only 500 or so complaints on this site. Say honda recalls the transmission on this year an say 5000 people go forward with the recall, how much would that cost you a near fraction of what you guys make. I am on a fixed budget and I just graduated from college. I now have a $35,000 debt due to school and I can barely survive. I now find out that my transmission is going out and I have to spend $3000 dollars to fix this. How am I suppose to afford this Mr. Ito? With your country in a state of despair, us as American's have come together as a country to send money, relief, and everything else we can to help you. DO YOUR JOB AND PAY IT FORWARD BECAUSE THIS IS BULLSHIT. THE BIGGEST KICKER OF ALL HONDA, IF YOU DO NOT RECALL THESE TRANSMISSIONS I WILL MAKE IT A MISSION OF MINE TO PROMOTE WORD OF MOUTH ADVERTISING AGAINST YOUR COMPANY. EVERYONE HERE KNOWS YOU MAKE CARS TO GO OUT AT A CERTAIN MILEAGE SO YOU CAN MAKE MONEY OFF THE REPAIRS. I HOPE TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS IN YOUR COMPANY.

If you would like to reach me personally, you can contact me at:

- , Napa, CA, USA

Feb 182011

Accord EX

I think it's really sad that Honda will not just recall the 2002 transmission and fix the problem. There has been multiple people with the same problems. I did call the company and they are researching the problem to see if they will help with the cost of the repair. I'm not sure when I will hear from them. I have had multiple Hondas in the past, as does my family, and they have never not backed their car. What does it take for Honda to recall it? Someone's life?

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 072010

Accord LX 3.0L V6

Wooooooowhoooooooo where do I start?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the worst car I've had, I bought it after my previous car was demolished in a car accident, and I expected the best from Honda since my father owned a Honda and lasted for a long time and no trouble with the transmission. The car itself is a really nice looking car but when it comes to the transmission its the total opposite. It started skipping and jerking at an early time in miles, and it just got worst, to the point where it won't even pass emissions testing and I can't afford to be paying for freaking transmissions after paying thousands for the freaking car itself. Worst of all, when I called the Honda department the freaking people would just make up excuses and supposed reasons for them not to take the claim. I was dumb enough to stop there and not take it to the management.

I will never buy another Honda after this experience the customer service was bad enough to kill it for me. There are a lot more companies out there that want our business. A company like this that don't take customers in consideration or are careless and won't take ownership of their faults don't deserve our business.

- , Harvey, IL, USA