Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 6 of 18)

Jun 032010

Accord EX V6

I used to LOVE honda!!!!! USED TO! I brought a 02 Honda Accord V6 in May 2010, loved the car, at least thought I did. A month later my check engine light comes on and took it to the dealership. They said my transmission fluid was bad. So, I paid them to flush the system and they said I should no longer have anymore problems. A month later the light was back on, this time the same dealership told me to replace the sensor on the transmission, did this. A month later yet another sensor needed to be replaced! The car sat for about 10 weeks while I was recovering from a surgery. 3 weeks later I take the same car with the same problems back to the same dealership and I need a new transmission!

1. get the problem right the first time.

2. if you know your transmissions are a problem recall them.

3. how can you not consider this a safety issue, just because it hasn't killed anyone YET. IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 012010

Accord EX V6

I have recently checked with the Honda Dealer. They are saying transmission has internal problem and should be replaced. They quoted around 3500K. The issue looks minor to me. But worried since purchased this CAR last month only.

Please provide input about what I should do.

- , Marysville, OH, USA

Dec 062010

Accord EX-L V6

We have this since 2005 and the transmission started to have problem after it hit 100000 miles and we thought it just normal there is minor slippage and jerking acceleration,

now at 130000 miles it got worse. Our other car we have it does not have that problem and it is beyond 100000 miles.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 012009

Accord 2.3L

After driving with a slipping transmission for a few months, I finally took it to a transmission shop who told me I needed a replacement. I really thought Hondas were more reliable.

- , Wilmington, USA_NC, USA

Nov 282010

Accord EX

While I have had no Check Engine lights or other "formal" indicators but the transmission hesitates, slips, and slightly jerks when changing at low speeds. I bought this car from my wife's grandmother so I am sure that she did not stress the transmission like I do but still...this is a HONDA. My Odyssey transmission (same engine) failed at 77000 miles. I will be contacting Honda customer service for a "goodwill repair" and if I am not satisfied, this will be the end of the line for my ownership of Hondas (after having 7).

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 052010

Accord 4 cyl

About a week ago I noticed my car jerking a little when I put into gear from reverse. It has gradually gotten worse over the last few days. As of today it is totally slipping out of drive while I'm driving down the road and when I step on the gas it only revs up the engine. I was only able to get the couple of miles I needed by driving in a lower driving gear. Luckily most of the time it happens when it's cold. I've had all of the fluids checked just in case and my maintenance required light had come on. I assumed at the time it was that I was due an oil change and they did not turn it off. I took the car to have it checked and turned off. No code came up as a problem. I've only had the car since March and the previous owners were my parents so i know that it was well taken care of.

- , Birchwood, TN, USA

Jun 012010

Accord EX 2.3L

$2200.00 to repair my tranny through Aamco. This tranny is a poor design as you are not able to drain the fluid and change the filter traditionally as in other cars.

- , Orangevale, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Accord EX

buyer beware of Honda Accord transmission problems. I had my accord new and took care of it. thought it would last way after 100 thousand miles cause it is a honda. NO WAY. Had to get Transmission fixed from aamaco. I am keeping car cause i cant afford a new vehicle. I will look at hyndai and toyota when the time is right

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Jun 052010

Accord EX V6

There are many complaints of transmission problems with the Accord and Honda should address it rather than ignore it.

- , South Orange, NJ, USA

Oct 292010

Accord SE 4 cylinder

Had invested over $4000 in this car over the last year new a/c condenser, new catalytic converter, new O2 sensor, new spark plugs, new tires, new timing belt, new water pump, new brakes. Already had transmission replaced under power train warranty at 79,000. Now replacement transmission is failing at 146,000 miles. Dealer said it's no longer under warranty and full replacement cost is $3600 plus $100 to diagnose. Symptoms being experienced are exactly identical to the first time we had to replace the transmission. Recently paid car off in January 2010 as well. I purchased this car to keep for a long time, and am highly annoyed that I should have to pay full cost to replace an obviously defective part! Dealership is Courtney Honda in Milford, CT.

- , West Haven, CT, USA

Apr 042009

Accord EX-L 3.0L V6

I knew I want a 2002 Accord V6 as my first car. When I first saw the car, I fell in love with it. Me and my friends ( who knows a lot about cars ) drove around and check thoroughly. No problem at all. without any hesitation I bought the car. I first start noticing a jerk when I put the car into reverse from a cold start. also when I put the car into drive, there is a delay of about 1-2 seconds before the gear engages. also there is jerking during the first 10-15 minutes from 1st to 2nd and 3rd. It always jerks from 3rd to 4th.

Every thing is fine with this car except the transmission which will cost me 3000 dollar to fix. I bought this car from a police officer ( a jerk ) and Now I am trying to make it someone else's problem before the tranny quits on me. Yes, I will be a jerk as well , but I have no other choice.

Piece of junk piece. Will never buy a Honda or Acura.

Update from Feb 11, 2014: it has been a while since I last posted the complaint. the car is still drivable. recently the problem got worse. Now when I accelerate from stop, the car had a huge clunk and then engage into gears and sometimes rev up and then engage. it happens from 1st to 2nd or front friction point to 1st only. other gears are working fine. I think it will last hardly 1 more year if i baby it and do not floor the gas pedal.

Over all, a piece of s###it car. spend $7254 in 6 years of owner ship, drove only 60,000 miles. If i ever buy another car, be it honda, be it toyota, I will consult with first.

- , Halifax, NS, Canada

Aug 182010

Accord EX 2.3 4 cyl

This is a known issue that Honda of America refuses to do anything about. There are a lot of

people with this same year model that have had the exact same issue I'm having... I have had 3 previous Accords without any problems and when you buy a honda you don't expect to have a transmission go out at 65000 miles!

- , Gallatin, TN, USA

Oct 212010

We purchased a 2002 Honda Accord from Germantown Auto Sales in Germantown WI. Mileage at purchase was 123,980. I was somewhat suspect of one of the owner's/employees when he kept saying "we made no money on this car".

In July, the check engine light went on as well as the "maintenance required" light. We had already felt the "slip" when the car shifted, but at the time, I guess we just "prayed" it wasn't anything serious.

Today I took the car into Russ Darrow Honda on 91st and Brown Deer Road Milwaukee, WI for the Air Bag Safety Recall. I asked the technician to put the car on the diagnosis machine (for $50). The diagnosis was P0780 Auto Transmission Shift malfunction. Recommend replacing the transmission $2,810 remanufactured.

I understand that Honda is aware of this problem, however they have not done a recall as they do not believe it to be a "safety issue". Scenario: You're driving and the transmission goes out - it's late at night, and your in an area that is either remote or crime ridden - Tell me how is that NOT A SAFETY ISSUE. For God's Sake Honda - fess up and put the recall out there for the transmission. Follow in Toyota's shoes (even tho it was kept quiet and long overdue) ISSUE THE RECALL NOW!

I understand that a class action lawsuit has not yet begun (as of the date of the information I received), however it certainly would benefit Honda owners of these transmission problems, which were part of the assembly of the car when it was manufactured NEW.

- , Port Washington, WI, USA

Sep 152010

Accord EX V4

I feel like Honda should replace my transmission or help me pay to get it fixed due to the fact that transmissions in Honda Accords yr 2000-2004 are going bad.

- , Tuskegee Institute, AL, USA

Aug 012010

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

We have owned this Accord for about a year now and the transmission has started to jerk, slip, and shift hard when starting from a rolling motion. I have seen all the complaints about other Accord owners and its sounds like a common issue we all have. Before this Accord we owned a 1996 Accord and when we sold it before we got the the 2002 it had 280,000 miles on it and not once did the transmission ever give us issues like what we are seeing now. Honda needs to step up and help us all. At 60,000 miles that car should be just getting broke in and running smooth. Looks more like just gonna be broke down unless Honda steps up and sees the issues that are going on with these Accords.

- , Washington, MO, USA

Sep 202010

Accord 3.2L

when I drive the car it slips into gear and sounds very loud. I really would like Honda to help me pay to fix this problem.

- , Athol, MA, USA

Aug 232010

Accord EX-L V6

I had transmission issues with the last Accord that I owned (1998), so when my 2002 Accord that I recently purchased not even 4 months ago was slipping & jerking...I already knew what the problem was. I called the dealership to address the issue & they asked if I had purchased warranty ($1000 3 months/300,000 miles). I told them no because I believed they were selling me a quality certified used vehicle. The service guy then said, "It sounds like it'll be an expensive fix for you...bring it on by & we'll check it out." From the way he sounded...I didn't want to take it in to them & thought I'd search around for prices. It wasn't as bad as my last transmission that went out on me completely. I found that if I let the car warm up for 15-20 minutes before driving drives normally, but if I just start it for a couple minutes & take off then you can soooo feel the slipping & jerking of the transmission. I came across this site & the and found that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I seriously think Honda should put a recall on the 2002 Accord transmission. They claim it's not a safety issue, but it could be if you're on the freeway & your transmission fails on you. Plus it's an expensive fix on top of what we all paid for our vehicles. With the economy the way it's even harder for most of us to afford to fix this $1500+ transmission failure. I'm pretty sure that Honda is well aware of this issue & should put a recall on this.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 302010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

This is my wifes car and it is starting to shift from 1st to 2nd very hard,first it hesitates and then shifts so hard you think you might get a whiplash, the check engine light comes on and the dealer says we have to replace the tranny at a cost of 3700.00 dollars. called american honda but all i got was the old run-a-round, they say there has been no complaints on this specific vehicle and since it was out of warrenty they could do nothing to help. I cant beleive that a transmission needs replacing at that low milage. Honda has to know of this problem and should help the consumer get thr problem taken care of.This is our fourth honda and will most likely be our last as HONDA is defintly going downhill.

- , Kelso, WA, USA

Jun 302010

Accord ES V6

Honda should definitely do something about transmission problem in 2002 accords. We have to stick together. I am surprise to see all the complaints about 2002 accord. I bought my vehicle used at 64000 miles, from an original owner, two months a go. The engine light came on, the second day and then, went off few hours later. Change the oil , just in case, I have suspicious that something is not right the car is not going to first gear when I hit the gas and would lurch forward in to second gear! A mechanic said ; it's your transmission, and it is unusual with this miles. I agree with Cindyaz, everyone should file a complaint whit the NHTSA. The more people who do it, the better chance there is. ANY CAR THAT UNEXPECTEDLY LURCHES FORWARD AND COULD RAM INTO THE CAR IN FRONT OF THEM IS A SAFETY HAZARD.

good luck

- , Reseda, CA, USA

Aug 132010

Accord DX

I have been a devoted Honda girl since I was in high school, I have always owned a Honda but this car is making me re-think my loyality. I have had nothing but problems with my 2002 Honda Accord, problems that I never had with any of my other years or models. This car has become the money pit of Hondas and the last straw is this transmission problem. At 160k miles I should not have to replace a transmission. I had 172k on my 2000 when I traded it in on this one and I never had ANY problems with that car. I was told that going forward I was going to need to have my transmission fluid replaced every 15k miles just to make it last as long as possible but that it could go at any time...Ridiculous!!! I had a 1978 Honda Civic hatchback when I was in high school and that car was still running when I sold it for $300 and it had 330k miles on it with only one motor replacement but NO tranny issues. They certainly don't make them like they used to that's for sure and it's a testament of even what a couple of years can do on the lack of good quality craftsmanship going just from the 2000 to the 2002.

- , Beresford, SD, USA