Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

1. Honda should fix it (34 reports)
  2. needs repainted (22 reports)
2003 Honda Accord body / paint problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 012009

Accord EX 3,0

honda clear coat and paint coming off on the whole car

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 012013

Clear coat continuously peels off of the trunk and roof panels. The car was washed and waxed 2-3x a year for ten year and meticulously kept up. Now the car looks horrible and fairly embarrassing. Previously, I had a 1991 Honda Accord EX. It lasted for 300k miles and about 17 years until it was stolen. That car held up much, much better than this one and at the 17 year mark it looked much nicer than this was does after 11 years. No more Hondas for me.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 312011

Accord EX V6

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX, black and the clear coat is coming off from the top of the roof and the hood of the car. It looks horrible and I believe Honda should repaint it for free.

Update from Dec 31, 2013: The car is kept in a carport and out of the sun. I do not use harsh soaps or waxes when cleaning it.

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Sep 162011

Accord EX 4 cyl

Honda should recall !! Clear coat is gone and paint is wearing away.

- , East Patchogue, NY, USA

Sep 122013

Accord LX V6

2003 Honda Accord LX midnight blue 4-door. Paint turning gray in multiple areas

- , Collierville, TN, USA

Jan 012011

Accord EX V6

Please fix. The clear coat is coming off my car and it looks horrible

- , Jackson, NJ, USA

Sep 012012

Accord EX 3.2L

My clear coat began to splotch in September of 2012. It is now a year later and the roof is nearly white with clear coat damage. I heard from mechanics at my shop that Honda opted to buy cheap clear coat the year my car came out (2003) and I'm supposed to pay for it now for a repaint which, estimated, will be 1,800 for the roof alone. The estimate also mentions that it's only a matter of time before the hood and back panel will need repainting, but that is not included in the estimate.

Update from Sep 18, 2013: This was a shortcut Honda took, but I bought this car because of Honda's reputation for longevity with its cars. I have had Hondas before. I owned a Civic for over 11 years and NEVER had this problem with the paint job. This is unfair and Honda needs to compensate its loyal customers.

- , Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mar 212012

Accord LX 2.4L

Clear coat continues to come off. off the roof, both front and back hoods, fenders. making what was a nice looking car dull and ugly. looks like steal wool was used on it!

- , Conneaut, OH, USA

Mar 202012

Accord LX 4 cyl 2.4L

I noticed white splotches on the roof and trunk. I can see the clear coat peeling away. I took it to a body shop and they told me it would be 1100 dollars to repaint those parts. I am afraid it is going to start happening to other parts of the car. I have always taken good care of my car and keep it in the garage.

- , Pickerington, OH, USA

Feb 012009

Accord LX V6

Clearcoat is peeling and getting worse every day. Obviously Im not the only customer with this issue. This makes it easy to never even consider purchasing another Honda. Made sure my friends, family and coworkers see the car and understand the poor Honda quality now.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Accord EX L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

I have a 2003 Red Honda Accord Coupe, I noticed the paint was turning white on the trunk spoiler roof, I took it to the Bodyshop & they told me it was called clearcoat delamination. The service writer said that there was a problem with the paint, Honda knew about it & there will most likely be a class action lawsuit brought up against Honda. He advised me to contact American Honda & speak with customer service.

I knew someone in a similar situation who had a 2008 Honda Civic Black who had numerous communications with the body shop in her town & she had to jump through hoops before they finally reached an agreement for repairs.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 012013

Accord EX 4 cyl

We noticed the paint job on our car starting to peel and fade in spots around the rear driver side door. the car is way to young to be showing wear and tear with the paint job.

- , Fairfield, CT, USA

May 022011

Accord LX 4 Cycl

A little over a year ago I noticed that there were some spots on the green paint on my 2003 Honda Accord, which I had purchased new in 2003 and have maintained ever since. As the months passed the spots got larger and did not respond to buffing, wax or polishing. Then I noticed that they were spreading and getting very dull, and that the clear coat paint was actually disappearing from the car. Originally I thought that it was possible acid from bird droppings, however it was starting to lift in areas where there had never been any bird droppings. It has now spread to almost the entire top of the car, parts of the hood, and many areas of the trunk.

Earlier today I decided to check the web to see if any other people had reported a similar problem with their 2003 Honda. To my surprise I found that literally hundreds of people are experiencing this very same problem, some as early as the late 1990s and reporting that Honda, although knowing about the problem, denies it has anything to do with their paint, and completely ignores customer complaints regarding this problem. I plan on trading the car in the near future, and feel that this problem has significantly lowered my trade in value - one of the original reasons for purchasing a Honda in the first place. I will never, ever, even consider purchasing a Honda product in the future.

- , Fremont, OH, USA

Dec 102011

Accord EX V6

The clear coat is peeling off. This is ugly...the white spots look as if it has leprosy or a fungal disease. It should be a blemish to Honda. God forbid if they ever admit there is a problem. Honda has such a uppity attitude. It shows every time you have something to gripe about, enter their showroom or have a chronic problem (like brakes). Come on Honda...why don't you just fess up?!? I've been faithful but I'm seriously thinking of having an affair with some other car that isn't diseased.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 112010

Accord LX

About two years ago I noticed some fading of the paint...the car now looks as if someone took an electric sander to it. I brought the car into our local Honda dealership (Ebersole, Inc., 1900 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA) to discuss this problem and was initially told that Honda should take care of it, but that they would have to wait until a Honda representative could inspect the car. He look at the pictures we had taken of the car and said that there was nothing they could do as the warranty ran out and I could have the car repainted at a cost of three thousand dollars.

Upon further investigation I discovered that there is a federal class action lawsuit against Honda claiming its 2003-2007 Accords and Civics have defective paint that delaminates, causing the vehicle to appear faded or to have peeling paint which leaves vehicle owners with a vehicle of unacceptable appearance. In addition, the delamination of the paint from the vehicle's body panels exposes the car surface to enhanced erosion. Automobile paint is expected to last the lifetime of the vehicle and an owner should not expect to have to spend three thousand dollars to have the car repainted.

- , Lebanon, PA, USA

Apr 302011

Accord LX 2.4L

click to see larger images

clear coat coming off clear coat coming off clear coat coming off clear coat coming off clear coat coming off

I have a 2003 Honda accord. The paint color is green Or supposed to be green. The vehicle currently has 94,000 miles on it. About two years ago I noticed the color on the hood starting to fade. The slowly turned into the entire job Peeling from the car. I contacted the dealership Commonwealth motors in Lawrence mass where the vehicle was purchased. I notified them of the severity of the paint problem. They essentially told me it was my own fault and was caused by washing my car too much. Needless to say this caused extreme outrage on my half. As of this point I will never purchase another Honda again and have never seen a company not stand by their product like Honda has. See the attached photos and you'll understand my aggravation. On a sidenote last year I purchased a brand-new 2012 Camry as a result of Honda losing my business. Toyota has shown already more concern my business than Honda ever has. So long Honda.

- , Haverhill, MA, USA

Feb 122008

Accord LX V4

The factory paint is the only paint that is failing. The dealer added spoiler does not have the paint issue

Update from Nov 20, 2013: Dealer said that they would not fix the car. A few months after the dealer said that they would not fix the car and before I got it repainted the car was totaled out in an accident

- , Shalimar, FL, USA

Mar 042012

Accord EX V6

It started with a small spot where the clear coat is coming off. Now it is over the the trunk and the roof of the car. It looks awful. It is truly a result of defective paint used on this car. I understand that there is a class action suit going on as their are hundreds if not more of individuals complaining of this condition. Please help me address this situation with Honda.

- , Branchburg, NJ, USA

Aug 082012

Accord LX 4 Cyc

We went to Honda of Cleveland and they said, out of warranty can't help you. then it was just barely a problem, went to have car washed and waxed they won't touch because they said bad clear coat & can't wax. since then its gotten 10 x worse they said have to get whole car repainted, the hood,trunk,top of car and even the doors. We park under a carport, it cant be sun. thought about getting another honda until this. we also have a 1993 honda accord which sits out in elements and its paint looks good. We have noticed driving around, there a a ton of hondas with the same problem. get with the program HONDA AND OWN UP TO YOUR DEFAULTS !!!! YOU SHOULD RECALL YOUR CARS FOR FAULTY PAINT JOBS!!!!! don't think I will buy another honda. this was our 3rd and final honda. you lost a good customer and also my siblings won't buy one because of our problems. that's not good customer service or a quality product.

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Jan 152010

Accord EX V6

Clear coat began separating from paint in January has just gotten continually it is in

UN-saleable condition.

Has always been dealer maintained...mechanically it is in great shape...but I am stuck with it because of the way it looks. I wouldn't buy it if I were looking for a used vehicle.

Honda refuses to stand behind the is obvious that the paint that was used is of inferior quality.

I will never buy a Honda product again!

- , Port Orange, FL, USA