CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

2003 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 5 of 16)

Jan 032014

Accord

Transmission was slipping. Then suddenly car felt like someone slammed on the brakes. Took car to dealership and was told transmission was failing. The transmissions on these cars were recalled in 2004 when an oil jet kit was installed per the recall to provide extra lubrication to the transmission. Talked to Honda and they refuse to provide any help with these multiple transmission failures. Cost to fix this is $4100 at the dealership.

- Ponca City , OK, USA

Nov 162013

Accord

Traveling at 55 mph car jerked back and forth, loud noise from under car. Car slipped between gears, and continued to jerk. The car will now not move can move gear shift through gears but will not move.

- East Point , KY, USA

Jan 092013

Accord

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the transmission independently shifted out of gear and into second gear. The contact mentioned that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 200,000.

- Troy , MI, USA

Jun 292013

Accord

I was driving at about 60mph when my car violently shifted down to second gear.

- Monticello , NY, USA

Nov 012013

Accord 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the car at highway speeds when the transmission downshifted into first throwing them violently forward and nearly causing impact with another vehicle, when she told me I did a web search and found that this is a common problem with this model and year. What has been done about this serious safety defect?

- Waverly, OH, USA

Dec 192013

Accord

I purchased a used 2003 Honda Accord in April 2011. It now has 132, 000 miles on it. This week I was driving on the interstate when my "D" drive on my hear start flashing in my car RPM started revving up & my check engine light came on. So I put my emergency flashes on to get the shoulder of the expressway my car. My car wouldn't drive anymore in the D drive shift to make it home safely I had to drive my car in D3 all the way home. My mechanic is now saying I need a new transmission which will cost me $2500 I don't have. I've driven Honda Accord's all my life this is the first Honda that I've had a major issue with.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Dec 082013

Accord

I bought my car used and granted it has almost 200,000 miles on it but I trusted in Honda that it was a good car now my transmission has gone out and I haven't had my car a year yet granted I'm disappointed in Honda bc I have read several forums about 2003 Accord have transmission issues with way less mileage than mine Honda really needs to investigate this issue. It's christmas time and I'm out a car I would fix the transmission on this vehicle but it's no point in doing 3000 dollars worth of work on a car when I owe more than that on it and I have already had to replace engine mounts, thermostat, crank shaft pulley.

- Greer, SC, USA

Dec 022013

Accord

Vehicle transmission has been hesitating for over a year. Dealership insisted that there was nothing wrong. Two months ago I was told the rear main seal may need to be replaced soon. Three days ago the car violently shifted into a lower gear and nearly caused the vehicle to be rear ended. I'm told that the transmission now needs to be rebuilt or replaced. When I contacted american Honda I spoke to a customer services representative by the name of sopana. He first told me that because my car was over 120K mile Honda would not provide any goodwill assistance, I reminded him my car was at 115K mile, he was then flustered and said well I mean 100K mile or whatever.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 072013

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the transmission independently shifted out of gear and into third gear. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who advised that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was serviced in 2004 under NHTSA campaign number 04V176000 (power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Pensacola , FL, USA

Jan 012013

Accord

Automatic transmission failed at 130K miles and had to be rebuilt at cost to me of $2800.

- Keene, NH, USA

Nov 052013

Accord 6-cyl

Automatic transmission suddenly failed into 1st gear with sudden drop in speed and control. Transmission locked in first gear, no reverse. Apparently a known issue with Honda automatic transmissions of this era.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Oct 242013

Accord

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the front axle had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 163,072.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Oct 312013

Accord 6-cyl

Driving 60 on a busy interstate the transmission drops gear making my car jerk hard and slow almost enough for the person behind me to slam into me. Pulled over and turned car of then back on transmission seems to be slipping bad. Bought it used 2 years ago it has 93,000 miles and never misses servicing. I see it is not uncommon, why is this issue not being taken care of?

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 072013

Accord

This is just unbelievable. Every three months I take my car in to get service and now my transmission is failing me. I place the car on drive and it does not go anywhere. I turn the car off and turn it back on and it finally drives. I really was not expecting this from Honda. My car was in perfect condition and drove very smooth because it is well maintained. Not in a million life years would I guess my transmission would be an issue right now.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 072013

Accord 6-cyl

While traveling over a bridge at 55mph. The transmission suddenly disengaged and the car almost came to a stop with no warning. Very lucky no one hit me.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Jul 172013

Accord 6-cyl

Car felt like fuel wasn't getting to engine and would slow down, then suddenly get gas and would jet forward. Very unsafe for driving with my child and baby. Had the transmission replaced with a used transmission and now the same thing is happening today. I'm lucky not to have been on a highway when this happened as it could have spelled death for my family.

- Kingston, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failed. The gears are slipping, and it lags and jerks when it does shift.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 102013

Accord 6-cyl

Complete transmission failure on fully serviced 2004 Honda Accord at 124K miles while driving in rush hour traffic. Upon research, found very common problem that Honda is aware of but does nothing to fix. Rebuilt Honda transmission cost $4,800 for part alone!

- Carm, CA, USA

Oct 072010

Accord 6-cyl

Attempted to drive car but it would not go over 10mph.brought it to auto repair."R&R, O/H transmission" was done at $2892.51!! this seems to really have been a defect with this 2003 Accord Honda car across the country. I purchased the car used at a dealership with 64,283 miles in 2008, by 2010 after less than 40,000 added driving, the transmission failed. This really needs to be a recall but after all this time the harm is done!Honda should reimburse!! didn't think about filing a complaint till now, thought it was only my bad luck, but I noticed others were having these issues.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 022013

Accord 6-cyl

While driving on a rain slickened road Monday September 2nd, the transmission locked up at 45 mph and nearly caused me to lose control of the vehicle. Subsequently the transmission completely failed and the vehicle had to be towed to a repair shop. The transmission repair shop confirmed that the 3rd (third) gear had failed and caused the transmission lockup. The vehicle has 76,000 miles on the odometer and I am the original owner and purchased the vehicle from a Honda dealership in dallas, Texas. I contacted american Honda customer motor customer service to report the incident and after describing the event was told to take the vehicle to the dealership for evaluation. Clearly this is a defective product and a hazard to safety when the transmission fails. The telephone representative that I spoke to said Honda had no information on transmission "lockups" or unsafe conditions regarding this particular vehicle. I told her that after the transmission lockup happened I researched this condition and found that Honda has in fact extended the drivetrain warranty on this model vehicle as the result of a class action lawsuit. At that point she ended the conversation by hanging up the phone and not attempting to call me back after she has requested a callback number at the beginning of the call. This transmission design is faulty and should be recalled due to safety considerations. If I had lost control of the vehicle and was killed, no one would have known that the faulty transmission was the causal factor the accident.

- Dallas, TX, USA