Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

2. check their oil level very often (21 reports)
  3. replaced engine (6 reports)
  4. replace piston ring (4 reports)
  5. add oil (2 reports)
  6. replaced timing chain (2 reports)
2003 Honda Accord engine problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Apr 092007

Accord EX 2.4L 4

I am annoyed by the dealer, Cobourg Honda, telling me different information. I first complained about this a year and a half ago and was told that it was normal to consume a litre of oil every 2500km or so. The reason for the oil consumption was that I was using synthetic oil (5w20 as the maker states) which Hondas don't like. The problem got worse and I was told that Honda didn't consider oil consumption to be excessive until it consumed more than 1 litre every 1500 kms. I was then requested to document the oil consumption by doing an oil consumption log/test. I did this at approx 113,000 kms and have found that I am consuming a litre of oil approximately every 1400kms. I am now told that excessive oil consumption is 1 litre every 1000kms and that is normal for NEW Hondas. I contacted the Honda Canada customer service who told me to request a diagnostic report of the cause of the oil consumption. This would be at my cost and any problems would be noted and if I needed repairs that I would have to contact Honda Plus Warranty to see if the needed repairs would be covered. I am not at all happy with the way that my dealer has handled this issue. The dealer told me if I wasn't happy with his answer that excessive oil consumption was not a problem or existing until 1 litre every 1000kms, then contact Honda Customer Service. When I did so, Honda Customer Service told me it was a dealer issue.

PS I drive this vehicle almost exclusively on the highway and have had all servicing at the same dealership since new, Cobourg Honda (Cobourg Ontario, Canada)

My questions are:

1) Does synthetic oil cause consumption issues?

2) What is considered excessive oil consumption by Honda

3) Are the directions I received from Honda Customer Service appropriate or should I use a different approach.

GRRRR! Thanks! Roger

Update from Aug 12, 2009: I did have this issue eventually resolved however it cost me $3300.00 Canadian. I was told by a Honda Canada technician that my Accord wouldn't be looked at until it consumed more than 1 litre every 1000kms. I stopped pursuing the issue because by the time my extended warranty expired at 160,000kms I was only consuming 1 litre every 1250kms. At 174k my timing chain went and I had my car towed to a differnt dealer close to where I was working (Pickering). I told the service manager about my oil consumption problem and he said he might be able to do something for me. He ran an oil consumption test and found that my car was consuming 1 litre of oil every 950kms. He got back to me and informed me that his area representative approved a new complete block to be put in my car but that since my warranty was expired I would have to pay the labour. I agreed and had the heads redone (1 valve needed replacing - no cost to me) and since 1 camshaft was also damaged (scoring/pitting/burnt) and the second had burn marks, I replaced both of them also. In total the cost came to $3300 Canadian not including the timing chain which I fixed several weeks earlier at a cost of $1100 Canadian. The car runs great now and I haven't consumed any oil between the 3 oil changes since the new block at 181,000 kms.

PS The dealer stated that the problem may have started because I put synthetic oil in the car since I bought it new. My suggestion, since this is the second dealer who has told me this, is to wait until you have at least 30,000 kms on the motor until you start putting in synthetic oil or don't use it at all. Apparently this allows the rings time to properly seat and will prevent oil blow-by in your rings. Hope this helps!

Port Hope, Ontario, Canada

- , Port Hope, Ontario, Canada

Sep 212007

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bought an accord 2003 thinking I would have less problems. Every 1000 KM it burn .5 to .7 liter of oil. So just do the calculation and yes the oil lamp goes on before the next oil change! My friend has the same car and guess what, she also have the same problem! We are both normal drivers and always doing the maintenance to the dealer. I'm lucky, it's still under warranty. But guess what, as soon it's repair, I'm selling it since I'm scare that they will just fix the result of the problem and not the cause of it.

- , St-Jean-Sur-richelieu, Quebec, Canada