CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

7.7

$1,949.00

2. check their oil level very often (21 reports)
  3. replaced engine (6 reports)
  4. add oil (2 reports)
  5. replace piston ring (2 reports)
  6. replaced timing chain (2 reports)
2003 Honda Accord engine problems

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 152015

Accord 2.4L

Bought this 2003 2.4L Honda Accord from a private person in Colorado. I was looking for a good college car for my son and thought this would last him for many years with limited issues. Car had 103k and about 1000 miles after buying it began to burn a liter of oil every 800 miles. Now it is burning at least a liter every time I fill up with fuel. So much for the Honda reputation. I have owned American made cars for many years and have not had an issue like this. I am highly disappointed in Honda and will be looking to other car makers in the future.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 152010

Accord LX 2.4L

After owning a 99 civic and getting 275k miles from it, I thought a 2003 Honda Accord with would be a good safe bet. That's what the leading consumer magazine told me as well. I found a low mileage(61k) Accord for a reasonable price - but soon after found out I had inherited someone's problem. I discovered to my dismay that the oil in this car was disappearing at an alarming rate. I began having to add oil at a rate of 1 quart per 500 miles. My catalytic converter failed multiple times and was replaced due to oil burning. I have babied this car for 5 years, determined that I would coax as many miles as I could out of this poorly engineered piece of junk. The oil burning rate began to get worse, and went to 1 quart every 300 miles. The car gave up the ghost last week at 161k - I originally expected to get alot more out of it. But I'm finally free of it and the constant oil checking and adding. I just bought another Civic from the late 90's with low miles, from a time when Honda knew how to make reliable cars - something they've apparently forgotten how to do. Wish I had access to a site like this before I bought the Accord.

- , Valdese, NC, USA

Jun 092015

Accord EX 4 Cyclinder

I currently have an 03 Honda Accord EX. This is my 3rd Honda Accord Ex since early 80's and I loved them!! Unfortunately THIS 03 is burning oil excessively and costing me money. I have replaced the O2 sensors 2 times in 3 years, timing belt changed, the catalytic converter 3 times in 4 years and I replaced the entire exhaust system in Jan. 16 at the tune of $1500 which was recommended by my local Honda dealer because my check engine light kept coming on due to exhaust and/or O2 sensor issues.

Well as I was at my local automotive shop purchasing my gallon of oil and complaining to the employee as to my car burning excessive oil, he informed me he had the same problem and it was the piston rings!! He then proceeded to inform me that this is a well known issue with this year of car but no recall had been made. Of course I was pissed!!!

My local Honda dealer never mentioned this to me at all and I've taken my car there at least 8 times about this issue. Then the AutoZone employee proceeded to tell me that it effects the O2 sensors as well ( I didn't see how but I'm no mechanic). I am VERY disappointed with Honda not putting out a recall for this issue, especially after seeing this is a common issue. HONDA fix your mess!! I was so discouraged last year that I actually contemplated buying a newer Honda, but I said why spend my hard earned money with a company who doesn't appreciate their customers.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012013

Accord LX 2.4L

My Daughter purchased this Car From Honda used, due to its quality product we though she would have a pretty decent and reliable vehicle for my daughter to drive to and from work and college. Needless to say we have had to put a quart and a half of oil in her car every time she fills her gas tank. Therefore I believe the oil Consumption problem started even in there earlier cars. I am just surprised that the Honda Dealership did not make her aware of this problem when she purchased the car. Because it was sold as is we cannot get any help. Yes the car has high mileage but it is not leaking oil anywhere so Why does it burn it. To rebuild engine is too costly just to fix a potential piston problem which may not solve the oil burning. It was great that Honda jumped on the air bag issue so quickly. I do know the stand by there product I just wish if this is another concern of their vehicle's they would stand by it. It makes me wonder if there quality is going down and if we can rely on them having a dependable product. We went with them because they had the best reviews and were highly recommended by consumers report. The car my daughter bought only had one other owner and was taken care of very well so we thought it would be reliable due to Honda's history of making great cars.

- , Greendale, WI, USA

Jul 092014

Accord EX

Uses 1 ltd/qrt every 200 miles. Tried the "pour in Seafoam in the spark plug holes and soak trick"- didn't work. My mechanic with smile on his face after hearing the "fix" says it is frozen oil rings- a common problem. He has seen them all carbon filled in his experiences. Solution? I will trade the car off as soon as the $ comes in to afford it. Will buy Toyota next time but will check this site before I buy!

- , Morris, MN, canada

Feb 052009

Accord EX 2.4L

2003 Honda Accord using engine oil.. Need I say I still like Honda products and Japanese cars for that matter. My 1991 Honda accord used a lot of oil too but the cars are very reliable and I find them easy to work on. I have also determined that Honda Runs very well on Castrol GTX or Pennzoil motor oil in that order. This is based off of several people I know that run with Honda and Acura. You can use either synthetic or dino oil for the car but I have stuck with synthetic.

My 2003 Honda uses oil but I was told mine has a small leak near the oil pan below the engine. It doesn't seem to burn any but perhaps after reading several of the previous post on this board it very well could. By the way I guess I am the odd man out because my transmission runs and operates great. Auto too and I disagree with many of consumers complaints about transmission failures. Honda makes a great product and although I admit adding oil all the time gets annoying it is sort of a good habit to get into.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 102015

Accord

Got a Accord 2.4 ltr cheap. I soon found out why. Burns 1 ltr oil every fill up. Does not matter if I use synthetic or conventional oil. The only thing that slows it down is STP. Which means only half a ltr every fill up.

Cist 2000 to do rings etc. $2000 is the cost of about 150 ltrs of cov oil. That works out to oil consumed in 150 x 600 miles. Or about 90,000 miles . I will sell the car in about 60'000 miles from now so why spend the money fixing it. Because it is such a crappy engine it will probably only last for 60,000 miles on a rebuilt anyway.

After having just about every car made from a Lada to a Jag and Mercedes, i finally bought a Honda after hearing all about their Great Quality and customer service. Biggest mistake i ever made. Never will buy a Honda again and will tell all who ask me to stay away from that car company. Honda is just plain Stupid by not fixing this problem. They should make a movie about it like they did with 911. Jerks no wonder they lost the war.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Aug 132015

Accord EX 2.4L

DO NOT WAIT - DO NOT LET OIL CONSUMPTION CONTINUE!

Apparently, HONDA knows ALL ABOUT this problem, and will NOT be issuing an expensive recall...and they have a procedure full of un-meet-able requirements for you to prove your oil maintenance.

They'll also make ridiculous talking-points of it being 'normal' for a 4 cylinder with only 4.4 quarts of oil in the engine to burn through 1 quart every 1,000 miles or so...since you're expected to have oil changes every 10,000 miles...You'll be empty and seize up your engine 2/5 of the way to your expected oil inspection.

Our 2003 Honda Accord with the 2.4L 4-cyl was apparently consuming excessive oil for the last year or so, after reaching 120k miles or so. Only driven locally for short distances, however, so didn't really put it together since I had occasionally added 1/2 quart at a fill-up during normal check, as-in every gas-tank fill-up, and had noted was about that much low at spring and fall oil changes, so didn't really realize it was 'excessive' just yet.

Until a couple of weeks ago, first really long cross-country road trip in the Honda to Florida and back...it ate 3+ quarts during the trip!

Last weekend, saw a sale and bought a round of the regular 5W20 fully synthetic I've been using, and this time a container of the dual-chamber oil treatment specialty stuff that is supposed to clean sludge and seal up rings to prevent oil consumption... ...but we didn't make it.

Earlier this week, wife mentioned that the engine stuttered at idle and quit while sitting at a stop-light at idle. Said the transmission was trying to push the car forward a bit while she held foot on brake, so I figured that's what caused it, and bought some Lucas Transmission oil, intending to drain a bit out and replace with the slip-fixit stuff when I changed the oil this weekend... ...but we didn't make it.

Yesterday, wife tried to go to work, and said the engine wouldn't start on first try, as it always had before. Tried again and it 'sounded like the starter just spun instead, like it wasn't engaging...' ...so she didn't make it.

Mechanics on this thread will be cringing right now. I tried it myself, and sure enough, sounded like starter spun without the engine turning over. Had it towed to mechanic. Just got the call...

ENGINE FAILURE The engine is turning, but fast, due to NO COMPRESSION, due to VALVE DAMAGE, due to an apparent period of recent lack of good oil circulation in the engine or similar. I have bi-annually changed the oil with fully synthetic and am that strange guy who checks&tops-off oil nearly every gas fill-up, keeping extra quarts in the trunk.

What's the prognosis? Any help from Honda available to 'fix' this, now at 135k miles? good luck. Best course of action: Head/Valve +anything related, replace? *higher compression, will only result in more oil consumption, since the problem turns out to be THIS:

HONDA KNOWS THEY HAVE BAD OIL-RETENTION RINGS ON 2.4L ENGINES. AVOID 2003-2007 2.4L ENGINES. IF YOU HAVE ONE, SELL IT, OR TRADE IT TO A HONDA DEALER if the oil starts to disappear. OR: Replace entire motor with a used one from a salvage yard? $1,500+labor+parts OR: Replace entire motor with a re-manufactured motor with some kind of warranty? BUT: Is a 2003 even worth it? (BlueBook ~$4,700 resale)

THANKS, HONDA.

- , Marion, IL, USA

Jul 272015

Accord EX

I HAD AN INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL OIL LEAK THAT HAS MADE ME SICK BURNING EYES, TIGHTENING OF THE THROAT. AND HEADACHES.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Oct 052013

Accord LX 3.2L

I have had five Accords and this one (2003) is the first time I have had a problem with excessive engine oil usage. Had lots of work done save for a valve job (Valve cover replacement, etc.) but have to add a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and have been doing so for two - three years now. Any suggestions?

- , Ashland, VA, USA

Dec 012014

Accord EX 2.4L

Every 600 miles I have to put a quarter of oil in my engine. I check the oil level frequently to may sure I have enough oil in it.

- , North Miami, FL, USA

Jan 082015

Accord LX 2.4L V-Tec 4

Totally disgusted with honda. After speaking with them on all issues, 10 as of now, basically told me Im screwed!

"We are very sorry about that",LOL

Stay away from Honda!!

- , Boca Raton, Fl, USA

Dec 132014

Accord EX-L Sedan AT 2.4L L4 Dohc 16v

Bought at 162724 km from neighbour with confidence. 3397 km later oil light flashes. Needed almost 4 liters to fill! Had an oil change done at 167532 km. Had it topped-off at 168313 at the same garage with 1.25 L. Again at 169200 with 1 L. That's 2.25 liters for 1668 km. Or, 2L for 1500km. Anyway you look at it it's way too much!

The maintenance records show that every oil change had been done following the correct schedule. Wasn't in possession of records till 2 weeks after purchase! They even show that the excessive oil consumption started at 127393 km. All the maintenance had been done at the dealer. There is no mention in the records that there was a problem.

I believe the manufacturer is acting irresponsibly with these oil problem issues.

FRUSTRATED!

- , Quebec, Quebec, canada

Sep 202012

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

I have always been a Honda fan my entire life, be it motorcycles, ATV's, small engine applications you name it, and yes of course cars as well. My dad has a 1999 Honda Civic that has 235,000 miles that is his daily driver and never has or has had any major problems with it. I also owned a 1999 Honda CRV with over 200k miles with no problems, just didn't feel the need anymore to have an SUV. So being Honda has a good reputation with me, I decided to go out and buy a 2003 Honda Accord 2 door 5 speed. I never came on this site or did much in-depth research before I bought the car (thinking I didn't have to being Hondas have always been good to us) but boy was I wrong. When I bought the car it had around 140,000 miles and was absolutely loving the car, except for one MAJOR flaw, the excessive oil consumption. My case wasn't quite as bad as some of those I have read on here, and other forums, but now that I have hit 150k miles it is getting worse. Always having to check my oil and almost always having to add oil is really getting annoying. Recently I let my friend borrow my Honda to take to Wisconsin (400 mile drive from where he lives) and topped off the oil to just barely above the full mark. And when he gave it back to me it was slightly below the "low" dot/mark meaning in that time it burned a quart of oil. A QUART OF OIL IN 400 MILES!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, a HONDA with only 150k miles burning oil at that rate just blew me away, unbelievable.... I have tried Lucas oil stabilizer which slowed the burning a noticeable amount, but I still have to add which is stupid that the car can't make it just under 3000 miles without having to add oil which is when I do oil changes, and having to add multiple times at that! The only true fix I have read for this is to have your engine taken apart by a professional and have them replace the oil control rings, which were apparently of poor quality or not installed properly from the factory which is why it burns oil. It pisses me off that it is an unpreventable expensive problem FROM the factory that no matter how often or what kind of oil you use can and probably will happen to your Honda. Shame on you Honda for not standing by and recognizing this problem, and lessening and maybe even ruining your renowned reputation for reliability.

- , Saint Cloud, MN - Minnesota, USA

Dec 232013

Accord

CONSTANLTY HAVE TO BE CHECKING THE OIL SO THE MOTOR WONT BURN OUT, BUT SO MUCH FOR WATCHING THE OIL BECAUSE I STILL NEED TO REPLACE THE ENGINE FOR OTHER MANUFACTURER DEFECTS.

- , Lakeside, CA, USA

Jan 012007

Accord LX 2.4L Inline 4

Another comment about oil consumption. One quart per 500 miles.

The solution was to sell it Carmax. They gave us $4000 credit towards the 2007 Civic EX we bought from them.

Honestly, I would have take $500 for it.

It is pretty sad that a car company with a good record of building cars flounders like that.

Our next car will probably be a Toyota. We are done with Honda. So long, it's been real....

- , Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Jun 182012

Accord EXL 2.4L

Well I guess its my turn. Excessive oil consumption, tried to keep up with it but it's a losing battle. Tensioner for the timing chain lost pressure and chain jumped timing causing internal engine damage beyond what it would cost to put a used engine in it (bent valves, damaged head) I see on this site and all over the internet that I'm not the first person to have this problem. More than likely I will have the engine replaced and immediately put it up for sale ( just happened so I'm still debating) Anyone want to buy a Accord????

- , Mt Holly, NJ, USA

Jun 242013

Accord EX 2.4L

Bought the 2003 Accord EX used from a Nissan dealer 9 months ago for $10000, didn't drive it for 4 months while I was on deployment...came home and the dash lit up...check engine, oil light etc...Took it to the dealer and they said the car was 2 quarts low on oil which didn't make sense as I just bought it and I assumed the dealer I bought it from serviced it prior to selling it.

The Honda dealer replaced the rocker arm oil pressure switch, induction service, power steering service, throttle body service, fuel injection service, cooling system service, and performed a complete multi-point inspection = $940. 5 Weeks later, the car has been driving fine, no issues...then I get it in to go to work and it cranks but wont start. So I tow it back up to the dealer and am informed the car is BONE DRY - no oil! Diagnosis, the timing chain has likely jumped, the recommendation they gave me is to replace the current engine with a used engine for $4200 parts and labor. I asked about a trade, and they told me they would give me $500 for the car on trade. Called Honda Customer Service and they state they have no records of any issues of excessive oil consumption in the 03 Accords (which is a lie). I filed a complaint with BBB and since my wife is Japanese and knows the exact same engine was recalled in Japan, we intend on dealing with Honda headquarters in Japan. I understand the car is out of warranty, but Honda is dishonest and refuses to stand behind the workmanship of their cars.

NEVER AGAIN.

- , Marysville, WA, USA

Jan 032012

Accord EX V6

No real solution exists. I'm forced to check the oil level frequently and add oil nearly every refueling.

- , Arlington Heights, IL, USA

May 142010

Accord LX 2.4L

Well I don't know what to add that other "lucky" 2003 HONDA ACCORD owners did not say. Basically the engine is consuming oil a lot and beside that my gasoline consumption is about 12 to 13 liters on a 100 km. My wife and myself were thinking about buying used 2009-2010 CRV but I read that there are issues with it as well. Would we buy Honda again? I don't think so.

Looks like Honda does not care for losing costumers.

- , MISSISSAUGA, Ontario, canada