CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

9.3

$2,711.00

1. replace/rebuild transmission (344 reports)
  3. Honda to pay cost as this transmission was a previous recall (45 reports)
  4. Honda assisted with replacement cost (25 reports)
  5. class action lawsuit (5 reports)
  6. transmission exchange (4 reports)
2003 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 17 of 25)

Jun 232009

Accord EX 3.0L

Hey guys, ok my has the same problem as the 175 complaints before this. firs the car started not shifting to from 2nd to 3rd gear but it would just stay in between shoot the RPMs all the way up and after 3 or 4 seconds it would shift ver rough. the one on 06/23/09 i was switching lanes on the highway and the tires locked up for about 2 seconds and then the car shifted down do 2nd gear and it did not move from that gear. i basically dragged the car home and tried to unplug the battery to see if it was something electronic, took the car for a ride and first it fell like when you shift w/o a clutch with a manual transmission for about 1 minute then the car got stuck in second gear and again it did not move from there. All of the sudden the check engine, TCS and the TCS triangle light came on and the D (for frive on cluster) started flashing and the car was also beeping. i stopped at auto zone on my way home and they scanned and the reading says it has something to do with with a solenoid on the transmission or there is a some sort of short circuit on the transmission.

GUYS, ther is some sort of recall on this but it will just cover the check up. what kind of campany issues a recall just for them to tell you that u need a new transmission and then you are on your own. At this moment the car is at honda dealer to get the check up and i am hoping the transmission does not have to be replaced. i have already called the law firm working on this and they said they will call me back soon.

PEOPLE. PLEASE, PLEASE!! CALL (212) 566-4356. This is Stamell & Schager Law Firm in NY. SO WE CAN ACTUALLY GET A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM.

THESE CARS ARE NOT SAFE ON THE ROAD AND IF YOU FEEL LIKE KILLING YOURSELF AND OTHER PEOPLE ON THE HIGHWAY JUST IGNORE THIS AND GO PAY $3,400.00 TO HONDA. EVEN IF YOU HAVE A WARRANTY AND WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY CALL THEM AND GET YOU NAME ON THE LIST.

i also wanted to add that this will be my last Honda ever, and i also feel bad for all you out there that ignore the problem and think it will not happen to you. THIS WILL HAPPEN SOONER THAN LATER WITH YOUR 2003. This car used to be my baby and it was never abused nor i used to race since my insurance is already high enough.

At this moment im hoping that if it has to be replaced Honda will pay for the whole thing or atleast give me a temporary fix. i will keep the info updated on this issue and feel free to contact me for details by clicking on the post.

AGAIN: CALL (212) 566-4356. This is Stamell & Schager Law Firm in NY AND LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

Update from Jul 3, 2009: Hello again, so here is the solution to the problem, so the car did need a brand new transmision. i called honda again and they gave my case to a case manager (Joshua). he was very polite about the situation and even called me just to let me know that he was going to handle my case. So today 7/03/09 i called my dealership and SURPRISE!! honda will pay full price for the transmision and the labor. This aproach will def. keep me in the market for a new honda and i do have to apologize if i said anything too rough about the company in my original write up. Right now the car is at the shop getting fixed and hopefully ill get it by the end of next week.

PS. i also have to thank Mike at majestic honda in west warwick RI, for being so nice about the whole issue.

Update from Jan 12, 2010: Hello again. Im going to ahead now and take back all the good things i said about Honda when i updated my complaint. My tranny is acting up again luckily not as bad as the last time. I will never buy another honda im life after this whole issue. Shotty overprices cars.

- , Providence, RI, USA

Jun 192009

Accord EX V6

I can't believe that my extended warranty just expired and that my car's transmission is shot! I will really think twice before buying another Honda because I have been consistent with the maintenance and this is what I get. At this point, I haven't decided what to do but I really need a car to get around.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jun 122009

Accord EX V6

I own a 2003 honda accord. My problem first started when the car would rev up to a higher rpm but would not accelerate. It would not shift btw gears. It did this randomly for about 3 weeks but then it stopped so i did not worry about it. On Friday June 12th 2009, i was driving on the highway about 65 to 70 mph and the car all of sudden felt like i had slammed on the breaks. It kept doing this on and off, then at one point i had got off the highway and was on a side road that i had to turn around on. I was turning around and was in the middle of the road (it was back dead end road) and was sideways in the middle of the U turn and the car would not reverse. I put it in reverse however it would not go. I was stuck in the middle of a road sideways and could not go anywhere. After trying several times taking it in and out of reverse it finally reversed. I drove it home however it would still skip gears and also jerk so bad that it felt like i was slamming on the breaks. I drove it to the Honda dealership in Oklahoma city - eskridge Honda- and paid 90 for a diagnostics test. THey called me about 45 mins later and informed me that i had transmission failure and would need to replace my transmission and quoted me price of 3400.00!!! My first instinct was "this car is a 2003 Honda"- i cant believe the transmission is already having to be replaced!!! I have kept this car in top notch service getting all the required maintenance checkups/service and oil changes. I immediately went home and got on the computer to see if this was a common issue and to my surprise found that it was a huge common issue with the 2003 Honda accords. IT was the weekend when this occurred. I will be calling Honda corp first thing in the morning (Monday). THis is absolutely absurd for this to happen is such a so called great car "Honda". I am hoping the pay for the replacement and there should be a recall on this! It could have caused a severe accident.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 152009

Accord EX Coup 3.0L V6

Well, even though my problem is EXACTLY the same as every single one listed below on this site, I figured I would document the problem anyway.

I purchased my 2003 Honda Accord V6 coup (automatic transmission) in June of 2008 from the original owner. She had EVERY scheduled maintenance and oil change done at Carmichael Honda, CA (near Sacramento) and had kept meticulous records. She said there had been no problems with the car and after an inspection, the car was deemed to be in perfect condition.

In May of 2009, with approximately 109,000 on the car, I experienced my first gear-slippage when the car was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I was stepping on the gas and the RMPs revved up to 6K or 7K but would not go forward. I was on a slight incline and decided to let up on the gas and gently try and accelerate again. Same thing happened so I shifted into neutral, then back into D2 and tried again. After doing this a few times, it finally engaged and I could continue on my way. This happened again the same night and by then I knew something was VERY wrong.

This problem continued for several weeks, occurring more frequently as the days passed. A friend of my Mom's used to work for Honda in Shingle Springs, CA but now works for an independent mechanic. When she told him about the problem my car had been having, he said that this exact problem was VERY common in 2003 Accords and mentioned the recall in 2004. Because he was very knowledgeable and close to home, I took it to him for a diagnostic ($120). Within the day, he called to confirm that the transmission was completely shot and needed to be replaced. This is when I started to look online and found out that the 2003 Accord transmission problems were not merely common, they were an EPIDEMIC!!!

Next, I called Honda in Shingle Springs to see if they had any experience with this type of problem in the '03 Accords. The service rep Casey told me he had never heard of this problem, which I now know was a COMPLETE AND UTTER LIE! He said for him to take any action, I would have to bring it to the dealership and they would have to do their own diagnostic. From there, he said he would contact Honda Corporate and ask for assistance. I will be sure to get the claim number and name of the claim manager so I can contact him or her directly if needed. I would HOPE the dealership will go to bat for me but if not, I will take things into my own hands.

Today, June 10th, I am dropping my car off at the dealership and will have more to report later. I am going to keep this complaint updated as others have before me. It has been very helpful to read what others have written and yes, I read all 173 complaints!!! At this point, I am unwilling to settle for anything less than 100% coverage from Honda despite being out of warranty. In addition, I expect a FREE loaner car while my car is being repaired and I would like a reimbursement for the TWO diagnostics I have to have done. It is very clear that this problem is not due to consumer neglect or lack of maintenance. I have done ALL that could have been done to keep this car in good working condition. And while 110,000 is A LOT it is a mere fraction of the mileage my other Honda have had before a major repair was required.

I encourage everyone to call this number: (212) 566-4356. This is Stamell & Schager Law Firm in NY and someone has already started a class action lawsuit. They said there is a good chance of this becoming a reality considering how many people have already added their name to the list. You must take your car to the dealership first and get a price quote for the repairs before you can add your name to the list.

Also, contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1 (888) 327-4236 and report the problem. The more voices that are heard the better!

Here is the number for Honda America: 1 (800) 999-1009 just in case you missed it in the posts below.

Stay tuned for updates

Update from Jun 12, 2009: Today is Friday June 12th, and after many phone calls and hours of debating, pleading, arguing etc., I do have some news to report.

After it was confirmed by my Honda dealership yesterday that my transmission was indeed shot, I was given an estimate of $3,490 to replace it in addition to a laundry list of other repairs that need to be done (supposedly). I had already faxed over all the service records from a different Honda dealership and the service rep said those would be helpful when asking for 'assistance' from Honda. The next day (today), the service rep called to say that Honda would split the cost of the parts and labor 50/50 bringing my total to $1,500. HOWEVER, this agreement was contingent upon the repair of my axles (can't remember exactly what is wrong with them) which would be another $650. Grand total: $2,150. This would include a 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty. I told him this wasn't good enough and said I would call him back after I made a few phone calls.

I called Honda America and spoke with a man I could HARDLY understand who was LESS than helpful. He said that the 50/50 split was WAY more than most people were offered and I should be happy. He said there was nothing more he could do and I could take it up with the District Parts and Services Manager if I wanted to press the issue. He advised me not to do so as Honda could rescind their offer at any time. I asked if he had the contact information for this person and he said no, but my dealership would.

I called the dealership back and asked for the number of the District Parts and Services Manager to which they said that is a private number and is never given out. I was then transferred to the Manager of Shingle Springs Honda who I then pleaded my case to. He was aware of my situation but said there was nothing else he could do. I explained that me and the previous owner had done EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER to keep this car in good working condition: frequent oil changes, regular scheduled maintenance and other check ups....what more could be expected??? Was he just saying I had plain old bad luck??? After much reasoning (and perhaps some begging) he said he would call the District Parts and Services Manager one more time and try and negotiate a better deal....but NO PROMISES! I told him that I appreciated the effort and would be waiting ot hear back form him on Monday. He was very agreeable and I hope that he will give it his best shot.

Again, stay tuned for updates....

- , Placerville, CA, USA

May 172009

Accord EX 3.0L V6

VERY IMPORTANT!!! (read to the end)

After about 6 years of smooth operation (~110,000km). The transmission started causing trouble. Every so often, the transmission would jump to 1st gear. Sometimes, the gear wouldn't shift at all causing the engine to reach high revs. We had to pull over off the highway a few times (very dangerous). Turning the car off and on was a very short term fix.

We called Honda in hopes of a discount for a new transmission (Hondas should last 10+ years). Honda asked how many times we had replaced the transmission fluid during our 110K km. We told them once, but they argued that it should have been replaced TWICE (which I later uncovered from the manual to be a complete lie!). Honda refused to help. What a shame, I thought Honda was supposed to be the only honest and reliable car company. Guess not.

We decided TO HELL WITH HONDA and let the accord roll off a cliff. Just kidding. Sorry, please keep reading. We decided we didn't want to pay 4 grand for a new transmission since 4 grand is about half the current value of the car. Instead, we decided to buy a refurbished transmission off of a totalled 2005 Accord (with the intention of selling the car to an unsuspecting buyer ASAP). Now this is where the shock comes in...I know what you're thinking and no, it doesn't have anything to do with compatibility of the 2005 transmission.

We heard about a very good and cheap car mechanic with a lot of experience. Normally, I wouldn't consider taking a toy car to this guy, let alone a real car. But we really didn't care about the Accord anymore, we just wanted it fixed, sold, and forgotten even if the fix was temporary with duct tape. Okay, are you ready for this? The car mechanic suggested that the problem may not even be the transmission's fault. He told us that the person who replaced our transmission fluid accidentally added about 1 Litre more than he was supposed to. This would explain a lot. Excess transmission fluid really can cause the transmission to slip. It also explains why turning the car off and on again was a short term fix (i.e. the pressure would settle).

Sure enough, after spending about sixty bucks (yup, $60), the transmission feels like new again (knock on wood). I guess we won't be getting rid of this car for a while now.

- , Vancouver, BC, Canada

May 272009

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I was shocked to have this kind of a problem with a Honda, which has such a good reputation for reliability. When I called customer service I was certain that they would recognize the issue and offer me a discount due to their obvious design problem. Instead they offered nothing and left me out to dry. I owned several Toyotas before buying a Honda and never experienced this kind of issue. When I pay extra for a car - which I do with Hondas and Toyotas - I expect superior performance. Honda has really disappointed me. Next time around - which will be soon - I'm going back to Toyota.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

May 252009

Accord EX - V6 3.0L V6

We felt a slippage in the transmission on our 2001 Honda Odyssey with 128,000 miles and got a good sale value before it went up. Two days after we sold it and before replacing it (possibly with a 2009 Odyssey - I may be a glutton for punishment) the transmission on my 2003 Accord failed. I started to feel it slipping a couple of weeks ago and still am in disbelief that a reputable and well cared for car has let me down. I cannot believe all the other posts like this one. I looked up the 2003 Camry and saw 4 posts for transmission issues. Since I am in the market for an Odyssey I will try to negotiate a decent cost on repair. I really am not up for buying two new cars at once and unless I am well cared for may have to look at Honda alternatives.

Update from May 26, 2009: The dealership went to bat for me and negotiated some assistance from Honda Corporate. It paid off to be loyal to the dealership and have my service work done there. The warranty on the repair was 3 YEARS 50,000 miles so that was better than the local transmission shop offered as well. They also beat the lowest price I had found on a new Odyssey and I was totally impressed with my test drive. I am bummed the transmission failed on the ACCORD but I have been treated fairly and am pleased that Honda helped me out with the cost of the repair.

- , Lititz, PA, USA

May 142009

Accord EX V6 3.0L V6

At first the car started shifting slowly or clunking slightly when shifting into third gear. I figured I'd have the fluid changed as part of the 60000 mile service. Then the problem got worse -- driving in speed up/slow down traffic on a busy street, the front wheels locked up entirely after a downshift into third gear. It released and shifted into gear and I was able to continue driving, but needless to say this was a scary situation -- easily could have resulted in an accident. I took the car into the dealer and they reported that the transmission would require total replacement at a cost of $3600. I found this forum, read some of the posts, and spoke to both the dealer and Honda customer service requesting a good will discount. The most they wanted to do was a 10 % "major service" coupon discount. I shopped around some transmission shops and got some lower quotes, and moved the car away from the dealer. THEN the dealer got in gear, called Honda themselves, and Honda offered to pay 25 % of the cost on the condition that I provide all my service records. $2700 is still more than the estimate I received at the transmission place, so I went that route instead. I guess I'll see how it turns out. I'm disappointed that Honda didn't offer me at least some assistance up front, because a major failure of this type at only 62,000 miles is pretty ridiculous. My impression of this car and of Honda in general has definitely changed as a result.

- , St Louis Park, MN, USA

Nov 202007

Accord EX V6

The transmission was replaced with a re manufactured transmission from H&A in California. That transmission also gave out 29,000 miles later and now I need another transmission! I also bought this Honda because Hondas are known for their "reliability!" Not again for sure. I am afraid to have the transmission replaced again because it sounds like something else that is causing the transmission to fail.

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

May 152009

Accord LX

I see a lot of people with the same problem and this is awful that a car like honda would have this problem and this is not my first honda at all but now i am really considering with going with another manufacture. i have a 2003 honda accord i bought it new on vacation in florida and drove it home because i fell in love with it so about 5 months after owning it it started making noise. took it to dealer for oil change and so i asked about the noise they said thats nothing, that all honda make that noise. so of course i bought it because i was a new car so i guess it would just go away. no it did not it just stayed until recently when i had it at the dealer and i was talking to one of the honda tech that i have had become friends with and he said that the transmission was going to go he said not now but soon. Yes it did about 2 months later i was driving going About 60 mph on i495 and the car jerked hard and the car slowed down, and so i got off the highway and took the streets and about 3 miles that car stopped. so i parked it turned it off and waited about 5 min and turned it on and it drove about 1 mile until it jerked again the i stopped it and shut the car off then tried it again. but that was it. it would not move and the check engine light turn on and the green D flashed and that was it so i had to call a tow truck to drive me about 4 miles to my house and that was

$ 95.00. so the next day i called honda customer service were i got a rep that took my compliant were a honda rep called me to let me know that i should bring the car in do have it check out so this were im at. will let you know more when i get more information but seriously this problem should be recalled also make a complain with the department on nhtsa.com so that they me this a recall or go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 202009

Accord EX V6

Same issues already reported, failure of 2nd gear. When I took it to the dealer they said it was a classic issue, they've had others, related to the previous recall, since Honda could have replaced it for free during the recall they would most likely offer a goodwill replacement. According to the tech adviser, he had been successful getting Honda to pay 80% of the cost of replacement. He said he would submit the goodwill request on my behalf and get back to me. The next day he called to say he was right, they would pay 80% and I had to pay 20% but he would have to call back to schedule the replacement when they could get a transmission delivered. When he called back he said he had misread the quote and I would be responsible for 80% and Honda would cover 20%. Since others on this site and other sites have reported more satisfactory service from Honda and since I expected better service I spent nearly 4 weeks trying to talk to managers and others who could get a better deal or at least honor the original price I was quoted. Many excuses later, including the service manager taking a vacation, I was stuck paying the 80% to get the transmission replace. Some of the excuses include, Honda has changed their policy recently... Due to the economy... Their policy is not to do anything after (pick one) 60,000 miles, 80,000 miles, 90,000 miles.

The only slim positive is that they were giving me the "warranty" pricing and it supposedly comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the refurbished transmission. However I was not able to get anything in writing regarding the warranty so who knows.

And of course my car is one with the odometer issues so the actual mileage on my car is about 3% less.

This was my first Honda and probably my last and I also don't feel the need to take it to a Honda dealer for service any longer. Spread the word, HONDA NO LONGER STANDS FOR QUALITY AND RELIABILITY.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 162009

Accord ES V6

First reverse went out, then 5 minutes into driving on the highway the highest gear went out, then 3rd. Honda dealer offerd to pay for $700 at first, then I complained more and got it up to $1,300 kicked in. This is at 84,000 miles. This is such a crock. My 1998 Toyota Camry that I just gave to my daughter has over 160,000 with no major problems. What has happened to Honda? Heck, I could have bought a way less expensive car and had less problems? I used to love these things. Our 2002 Odyssey also had the trans out, but at least it made it to 134,000. I hope someone can tell me the class action suit that is going down and a contact.

Thanks for letting me vent.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Apr 082009

Accord EX 3.0L V6

My son owns one of these cars and his transmission suddenly downshifted to a low gear while on the highway. He was traveling at about 60 mph. We looked into the problem on the internet and found way too many complaints for the same issue for this to be an isolated incident. We contacted Honda and got the same run around we see others on this site talk about. Neither the dealer or Honda Motor Co. were aware of any common problems with this transmission. Estimates for repairs ran from $3200.00 to $4500.00. Knowing a little something about automatic transmissions I decided to take on this rebuild myself.

When I was removing this transmission from the car I was somewhat surprised to find there was no external transmission fluid cooler like you find on most other cars with automatic transmissions. After removing the end cover my suspicions were confirmed. The 3rd gear clutch pack was very dark. Upon dis assembly I inspected the frictions and discovered they were deteriorated from operating at a very high temp. When I disassembled the valve body I found a filter screen totally clogged with pieces of the 3rd gear friction plates. The main separator plate was also discolored like it was operating too hot. All other clutch packs showed signs of normal wear. I rebuilt the transmission and installed an aftermarket transmission cooler. The car seems to work fine at the moment but it is really to early to tell if the problems were solved. I don't understand why Honda wouldn't have installed a trans cooler on these cars at the factory or at least during the recall they had on these transmissions a few years ago.

- , Robinson, TX, USA

May 082009

Accord LX V6

i wont waste my time with the details because if you read one you have read them all. its obvious there's a manufacturers defect with this line of transmission. so while American Honda gives you their standardized spill about your service records on your transmission and the fact that you are out of warranty and its all your fault and they may or may not give you any GOODWILL Assistance . I'm convinced that American Honda has taken the position of their bottom line is more important than our life.

come on people wake up the i truly understand this situation has placed us all in some difficult situations with no vehicle or really pressed to get it fixed. This i know for sure Honda doesn't care about lost of life, expense, inconvenience as a result of their neglect .The only loss they care about is yes you guessed their bottom line. Can you see those top executives in their lavished board rooms smoking a cigars and saying sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me lol.

American Honda doesn't care about independent web sites that have negative complaints about their product what we need to do is expose American Honda and start a class action law suit it is my mission to do just that . No one has to die to get this matter resolved as for me im not going to keep this vehicle repaired or not but i know this American Honda will reap what they have sown. I will keep my fellow brothers and sisters posted united we must stand

Update from May 16, 2009: just an update on the current status of my 03 accord tranmission. its is currently being repaired at a honda dealership after a GOODWILL assistance of 25 % discount I will have a bill of $2,149.00 its about the average. Like many of the other consumers im still not satisfied , so I insist we get the word out on a national level and try to get a signature list of willing class action participants. I have spoken to several lawyers and before they will take the case he/she must see figures to justify the time and expense that it will take for a class action like this. As i said before it is now my mission to be proactive in this matter no one has to die or get hurt before any action is taken unless someone wants to be a sacrificial lamb for the team (just kidding). I have emailed various major tv networks and talk shows that can get the word out nationally if they choose to investagate our situation , such as CNN investagate, oprah show, inside edition, NHTSA, congressman, attorney general and the BBB . The way i see it we pay for american honda negligence now but they will pay us later so i would advise everyone to do the same. One complaint may turn a head but thousand of emails may open their eyes. United we must stand , if anyone has started a class action please post the info.

Update from May 28, 2009: I now have my car fixed now that I have something to ride in I can handle the business at hand. To all whom feel American Honda has willfully put their lives at risk I would advise everyone to call Stamell & Schager law firm

at (212) 566-4356 and have your name added to the list of concerned consumers. If they get enough complaints they can move forward on pursuing a class action. I also recommend that you record all losses incurred as a result of this problem

- , Gadsden, AL, USA

May 142009

Accord 3.2L V6

Honda ACCORD 2003 V6-85,000 MILES TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, THEN FAILURE. The PROBLEM is like the many reports on this website regarding HONDA V6 ACCORD TRANSMISSION. My transmission has gone on my 2003 Accord with ONLY 85,000 MILES ON IT. Had the car diagnosed at Markley Motors Honda in Fort Collins Colorado 80527-0520.

I submitted the problem to 'American Honda', and because of the sheer dangerous condition the car displayed today, probably won't drive the car until 'American Honda' DECIDES to do something about this.

I, or my wife, kids could have being killed if we were on a freeway and it locked at acceleration like it did today twice. Warning to others, this is not a simple Honda Transmission problem, it is severe enough where it shakes the entire car.

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HONDA ANYTHING, let this be a warning to all regarding HONDA. They HAVE NOT ISSUED a RECALL for this vehicle for THIS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. The cost to me has being, $98.00 for a diagnostic test. MARKLEY Motors wants $3,413.16 TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION.

Update from May 17, 2009: No update yet regarding American Honda's and my discussion. However, I would recommend everyone on this site and elsewhere to flood all information on the Internet related to Honda Sites-Just google Honda, and look for sites that contain leave a comment, and copy or write a new message regarding your 2003 V6 Accord. thanks.

Update from May 19, 2009: Update on the money I have spent waiting for American Honda to respond to their transmission problem with the Accord V6 2003- I have spent $96.00 on diagnostics, and now $170.00 on a rental car. I cannot afford either frankly, and this is getting fairly frustrating.

Update from May 27, 2009: Lets see, after calling American Honda a 1/2 dozen times at least, cannot seem to speak to the 'Case Manager' who is supposedly dealing with Markley Honda in Fort Collins in order to provide some kind of goodwill. Regardless, we are still renting a car, with the price going up every day. This is probably just a way for American Honda to delay long enough, so that I just give up and pay full price.

Update from May 27, 2009: Here is the Honda Motor Company top executives- now if we could only get their email addresses- we could mass email these executives with the carcomplaints from this web site.

Update from May 27, 2009: Just got my phone call from American Honda, a Ron Rubinosf said "Honda has decided not to participate in my transmission problem at this time". He told me that their policy is to follow whatever the District Parts & Service Manager recommends. He said he cannot tell me the name of the "District Parts & Service Manager", so that I cannot contact him.

I mentioned to Mr. Rubinosf, that the result of their decision will be a class action lawsuit, and then the "District Parts & Service Manager" will have to 'legally' provide his name at that time. I also told him that unfortunately, this class action lawsuit will probably happen once someone is killed by the transmission stopping abruptly at freeway speeds.

Needless to say, it is all a scam, they don't want to pay, but assuredly will pay when a death/accident occurs, which will happen sooner or later. This is really unfortunate on several levels- our financial well-being, and our financial health as people that trusted Honda are being abused incredibly.

IF anyone knows the "District Parts & Service Manager" for Northern Colorado, I would appreciate it, if they could provide me with contact information.

Mr. Rubinosf is only a regional case manager, and he dwells in Torrance California.

Update from May 28, 2009: American Honda finally got back to me after 1 1/2 weeks paying for a rental care, and said "Honda's participation is none at this time". This statement came from a 'case manager' and the decision was made by a District parts and service manager. The case manager would not give me the name of the District Manager, in order to discuss the matter any further.

Update from Jun 1, 2009: Here are the Japanese exectutives to contact to get their attention: Executive Biography:

Contact this company: 800-999-1009

How does the role of contribute to the American Honda Motor executive team? With Hoover's you get up-to-date information on American Honda Motor executives, officers, and board members. Executive biographies usually include recent work history, salary, career progression, and a review of other company affiliations. Salary and bonus are provided for American Honda Motor executives when available.

CALL NOW (866) 281-9168 or register below to learn how you can access all of American Honda Motor's executive information. American Honda Motor Executives Include Chairman Koichi Kondo President Tetsuo Iwamura

Go to this site to send more information to these executives, (Hoover provides free trial) http://www.hoovers.com/american-honda-motor/--ID__159871,OID__,target__company_executive--/free-co-samples-index.xhtml

Update from Aug 14, 2009: I have reported this to the Better Business Bureau, https://wynco.app.bbb.org/complaint/view/46019657/c/ed9kzc The first response from Honda Dealership, is directed me to contact American Honda- which I already did, and that achieved the response "won't participate in any refunds". Here is what the dealership in Fort Collins said, Contact Name and Title: Roger Belisle, GM Contact Phone: 970-226-2213 Contact Email: rbelisle@markleymotors.com We submitted this customers concerns to American Honda and they informed us the vehicle was out of warranty and they would not pay for any of the repairs. If he wants to complain directly to American Honda we will be more than happy to provide him with an address or telephone number. I will be out of town until 8/31/09 but will be happy to talk to him when I return.

Update from Feb 28, 2010: Has everyone noticed that Toyota has being having very similar serious problems with their accelerator? I have being watching this very closely and noticed that the "NTSA" seems to be in the carmakers pocket. I mention this, because people recommended that when my Honda Accord Transimission went out at 85,000 miles, complain to NTSA as well, (which I did). Turns out that the NTSA is bought and sold by the Auto Manufacturers, and that is why you don't here anything negative about the car manufacturers who lobby them and basically own the NTSA AND TELL THEM WHAT TO SAY. Interesting, as American Honda has not recalled this model or payed any money to help out myself with the transmission. One story says that the NTSA has to have a certain number of deaths caused by the malfunction before they are willing to take ANY action.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Apr 272009

Accord LX 3.0L V6

Once a brand name is made, a manufacturer can increase the price, reduce quality or do both. And Honda has chosen the latter. Paid top bucks for a car that thought would last at least 10 years without major problems and in fact I have to sell it to scrap yard after only 6 years. I hope others won't make my mistake though.

- , Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Apr 252009

Accord EX V6

On Friday, 4/24/09, I noticed a couple of abrupt upshifts in my transmission. Then, on Saturday, 4/25/09 (a hot day), the engine would wind to a higher rpm than usual without shifting to the next gear unless I backed off of the throttle a little. It got worse the further I drove it. I took it in to my Honda Dealer who ran a diagnostic ($73.99). This revealed "an internal failure." I was told it would require a transmission replacement, and it may cost as much as $4000.

When I drove it home, I needed to very slowly accelerate from stops, and, at one point, a very fast-traveling pickup truck zoomed up behind me while I was babying my upshifts and just laid down on the horn (as if I had a choice in the matter).

I found out Monday morning (4/27/09) that the cost to replace the transmission would be $3600 and they would try to get the transmission in and installed by Wednesday, 4/29/09. I told him I had bought the car at that dealership and had all my scheduled maintenance's done at that location as well. Also, I had the automatic transmission recall service performed in 2004. I asked if the new transmission would need to have the transmission fluid replaced at 30,000 miles rather than 60,000 miles. He said I had already been getting all my transmission fluid changes done every 30,000 miles. I asked if the new transmission was really "new" or "refurbished." He said the only part of the new transmission that is used is the casing. He said all the internal parts are new. I was told the previous day by the parts rep that it would have a 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty.

The service rep was nice enough to offer a car (2009 CRV) for me to drive while my car was at the dealer. Within a half an hour after leaving the dealer, I got a call at work from the service rep and found out that he had gone to bat for me with a call to Honda. He said Honda agreed to pay for a portion of the cost, and my new cost will be $2200 instead of $3600 (a $1400 savings). I thanked him, and, after hanging up the phone, I began thinking that Honda should pay more of the bill than this, since I did everything a customer can possibly be expected to do to properly maintain the car, and the tranny still went out at 93,000 miles. So, I called Honda Customer Service (1-800-999-1009) and spoke with a lady who was polite, but insisted that Honda would not foot more than 20% of the bill, since my car was out of warranty. But, she said since I bought the car new at the dealer and gave them all of my service business, that they (the dealer) may possibly agree to a discount. I called the service rep back, and after he spoke with the service manager, he called me back to say that, of the $1400 discount I was quoted, half came from Honda, and half came from the dealership already. Also, he said it was unusual for the dealer to offer a car to drive while my car was in the shop. When I got home from work, there was a message on my answering machine for me to call the service rep again. I called him and he said he could save me a few dollars by offering me the "Rewards Program" that costs $24.99. He said with the cost of the transmission replacement, it would give me points equal to $80 that I could apply to future services. So, I told him to sign me up.

It is highly frustrating that the Honda Accord EX-V6 would require a complete automatic transmission replacement after only 93,000 miles. It is also frustrating that Honda would not agree to pay for more of the cost. But, the overall $1400 discount, free loaner car, and rewards program offer are very much appreciated. If these things hadn't been provided, I would have been so outraged that I may have decided not to buy a Honda again. But, I really love Honda cars. Even this one has been very reliable until this transmission issue. My hope is that Honda will issue an extension of the Accord V6 automatic transmission warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles as they did in 2002 for that year and earlier models. Also, depending on how many people have this problem, they may need to issue a recall; or at least send a letter out to customers informing them of this problem and recommend measures to preclude transmission failure.

As a side note, when I got to work and went to a conference call, one of the guys on the call said the same thing happened to him with his 2001 Accord. Also, a couple of friends who own Odysseys have had the problem. So, it looks like Honda needs to address this V6 automatic transmission issue if they haven't already in newer models.

- , Smithfield, VA, USA

Apr 232009

Accord LX V6

My complaint is just like every other complaint on this page. My transmission started to have problems shifting from second to third gear, then about a week later it went completely out. I thought Honda's were legendary for reliability. Guess not!

I took it in to our local Honda dealer and they got Honda to do a 50/50 split for parts and labor. I guess that was decent compared to what other have gotten. However I am still furious that the transmission even went out. Then to top it off it is not just me but hundreds of others have had the same problem.

Make sure to call the Lawyer in New York that is referenced further down in the forum. It is ridiculous that for Honda to do anything there will probably have to be some type of tragic accident.

- , Holladay, UT, USA

Apr 062009

Accord EX V6

I own one of the many 2003 Accords that experienced transmission failure - due to mileage, Honda agreed to pay only 25% of the total bill - $3,150 for a refurbished one. Well I've had the car back since Saturday - drove it to and from work and now the transmission is slipping AGAIN!!! As I feared - the refurbished one is just a cleaned up version of the same old crappy design and now it's already causing problems!! The thing that ticked me off the most is the arrogance of the dealership to tell me "now on this transmission, you should be sure to replace the fluids every 30,000" - like I didn't do what I was supposed to on the first transmission. I reminded them of the fact that I did replace the fluids at 60,000 and that the manual says 110,000! Grrrrrr....

So I filed a claim with the NTSA and will now be contacting the lawyer listed on this site - this is absolutely ridiculous!!

- , Hudson, NH, USA

Apr 152009

Accord EX 4.2L

Well, considering that I bought a Honda based on the fact of their great reputation for being reliable, fuel efficient, and great resale value, I am thoroughly disgusted that after 74, 000 miles I am replacing a transmission. There were no signs or symptoms of transmission failure until as I was driving the transmission slipped to a lower gear, and then the dash "D" light began to blink with the engine light on. Seeing as to how I was on a 65 mile per hour highway, I was extremely upset. When I called Honda after seeing multiple complaints on 2003 transmissions, there was, "Nothing they could provide for me because I did not purchase an extended warranty on the vehicle." This is just not fair.... After seeing these complaints as well, I will again be contacting Honda to try to get reimbursed for this on going fiasco....

- , Richmond, VA, USA