CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

9.3

$2,711.00

1. replace/rebuild transmission (344 reports)
  3. Honda to pay cost as this transmission was a previous recall (45 reports)
  4. Honda assisted with replacement cost (25 reports)
  5. class action lawsuit (5 reports)
  6. transmission exchange (4 reports)
2003 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 22 of 25)

Jun 132008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Well, another tranny down for Honda. I have owned alot of Honda's and still have my 99, never any problems. I bought a 03 Accord, made two payments and the transmission dies on me. It does the same exact problem as everyone else here on AutoBeef. slips into lower gear, runs at 5K plus @ 40MPH, reverse sometimes,etc. I bought a certified warranty but they will try to get out of it some way or another I am sure. Have to call dealer tomorrow. The worst thing of it all is I am disappointed. I have talked so many people into taking another look at Honda's (older die hard american owners) and ALWAYS preached about their incomparable reliability. And now this. It kinda makes me sick.

- , Savannah, NY, USA

Jun 122008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Same situation as many read here- driving along and the car seems to slip into neutral as I was merging onto the freeway. RPM's were well into the 6000. I avoided having anyone drive into the back of me by pulling over. I checked under the hood in hopes there was ...???? I mean really what am I going to find wrong? the fluids were not an issue and appeared clean. I limped it along- stuttered a lot up hills, slowing down, etc. I made an appt at Honda (Friday the 13th of course!)- and they charged me $50 to check the code and 'diagnosis' the problem. Code 741 Torque converter stuck. Solution was to replace the transmission and do a 'software' update= $3756 + tax (~4200$). I questioned if this was common and the service rep informed me it doesn't happen often. I priced out a transmission at a transmission shop for $2400 and they happen to supply the dealership with transmissions. He then informed me Honda has been having a lot of issues with transmissions since 1998 and the 2003-05 Accords were quite common. I'm extremely disappointed- probably in myself mostly as I didn't sell this piece of crap when the warranty was out (I've had many many trips to the dealer). So- once its fixed- I'm certain I won't be buying another Honda or recommending them. I'm thinking of putting signage on the car to advertise the real cost of owning a Honda. Oh... and the recall in 2004 was supposedly done... some issue with shifting from 2nd gear the service person told me. The tranny was replaced at 60000km due to increasing noise from day one with 11km- no one would believe me at Honda until it got really bad. I guess this car answers the adage "if looks could kill"... as the car looks great and its pretty well killing me to look at it.

- , Abbotsford, BC, Canada

May 172008

Accord EX V6

Transmission inappropriately shifts down to a much lower gear while accelerating. This frequently happens while driving around 30-40 mph, often while going uphill. The car will down shift to FIRST gear. This results in over 5k rpm. The car will not shift up, even if I left off the gas completely. The only way I can get out of it is to shift to neutral, wait a few seconds, then back to drive and try again. Trouble is, if I'm still going up the hill, it will sometimes try to down shift again to accelerate.

I've called Honda's corporate center, they set up a case number for me and forwarded my info to the regional Honda rep, but said they can't tell me if they'll help pay or not until I get it diagnosed at a Honda dealership. I'm doing that on Monday. Honda rep sounded optimistic about them helping to pay for it. I'm hoping they pay all (assuming the transmission needs replaced like everyone else). Car only has 52k miles, it had the recall service done around 20k and I've taken it to Honda for 30k and 45k services.

Based on the complaints here, I'm likely selling this car once it's fixed and getting something else. I don't have faith in a new transmission.

Update from Jun 6, 2009: This is an update to my previous complaint. I had the car checked at Honda today and just heard back from them. They said the transmission fluid was very dirty considering it was just flushed 10k miles ago. They said instead of wasting time and money on attempting fixes, they'd just replace the entire transmission and Honda is paying for 100% of it. They're also giving me a rental car free of charge while my car is being repaired. They also waived the $102 inspection fee they were originally going to charge me this morning. I'm pretty impressed with their service, given that the car is not under warranty. I'm still not sure if I want to keep the car for very long. I'm afraid the new transmission won't last long either.

- , Edmonds, WA, USA

May 262008

Accord LX 3.2L V6

Okay, well, I'm joining the fray. I've had my Honda from Brand New. I had a Honda Previous to this, and kept it far past what most people do, as I LOVE Honda's. This past weekend, it started not shifting into 3rd gear, until it got past 30 MPH and then it went into gear. Yesterday, memorial day, we were driving home from the mountains at 75 MPH and all of a sudden, the car jerked as if someone slammed on the brakes, the tires squealed, and we were slammed against our seat belts. I slowed down, and it happened again. Then it happened again. I pulled over, shut off the car and checked all of the fluids thinking maybe I was low in Transmission fluid. Nope, no problems there. I then restarted the care and drove 180 miles at 60 MPH. It didn't happen again. How am I supposed to let my daughter drive this car again? Honda recalled this in 2004, and I had it serviced saying that what was wrong was fixed. Now, I'm having the same problem they said they fixed. What do I do now? My friend is the Manager of the Honda Dealership where I got the car. Can he help? I've called and left a message with him.

- , West Deptford, NJ, USA

May 112008

Accord EX V6

I had complained about the transmission for over 2 years; however, the service technicians could never find anything wrong. I had the transmission serviced 2 weeks before it completely failed, but I was told no codes came up on the transmission. Well, I was 70 miles away from home and the car just stopped changing gears. I called roadside assistance to tow my car to the place that gave me that flawed diagnosis. When they checked it this time, I was told I needed a transmission. I asked what happen 2 weeks ago when I brought the car in for service. I was told they don't know. Well, I called Honda and requested the "goodwill help" and they paid 75 percent and I paid 25 percent. I told them that was good but I had complained about the transmission for years and was told everything was fine. The Honda agent told me they only go by what the codes show and 75 percent was the best they could do. This is for a loyal customer of 15 years. I am considering selling the car and I know I will not buy another Honda after buying on Hondas since 1993.

- , Jackson, MS, USA

May 182008

Accord EX Coupe 3.0L V6

Well I had just got my transmission flushed a week ago thinking everything was fine. Tonight I was on the way to see my girlfriend and I was going down the highway doing about 60mph and all of a sudden the car started jumping and pushing and the tac was going up to 7 which was telling me it was the transmission. It felt like car was slipping into neutral while in gear. So i pulled over to the side of the road none of the gears worked except for reverse. So i cut the car off for a couple minutes cut it back on put it in gear and pulled off, as i was turning around to try and limp back to the house i got stuck in the middle of an intersection because it did it again. Needless to say its been a pain in the rear and was not expecting this since the transmission was just serviced. But it wouldn't be the fluid it would have to be some kind of relay or sensor going out in it IMO. Anyways Ive always heard hondas will last you a lifetime but i've had several problems with this car when i bought it used a year ago. Passenger side window wouldn't work, and my 6disc cd changer was messing up too. Had to install an after market cd player in the car.

- , Akinson, NC, USA

Accord V6

When I was ready to purchase a new car, no one could have talked me into getting anything else. I had a 92 Honda Accord which was the best car in the world. I finally traded it in after 14 years and over 200,000 miles for a 03 Honda Accord. Now, one of my biggest regrets, I feel that I have purchased a true lemon. As soon as I drove off the lot, I began having minor problems. The horn only works sometimes, and there is something wrong with the motor in my driver's side window. The check engine light just came on, but I haven't brought it to a mechanic yet to find out what that is all about. Worst of all, at only 51,000 miles (conveniently right after my warranty expired) I needed a complete overhaul done on the Transmission. Needless to say, when I am ready to purchase my next car, it will not be a Honda Accord.

- , Kenner, LA, USA

May 132008

Accord EX V6

I only bought this car b/c everyone said "a Honda will last you forever." Then the transmission began to slip at 60,000 miles and this week at 68k I was merging onto the highway and the car wouldn't go above 35 mph. It just kept revving up past 7 when I hit the gas...as cars were flying up behind me....it's not only a big inconvenience - it's also dangerous. Honda is trying to fix this now by replacing the tranny, since I bought it from them used with the 7yr/100k drive train warranty...we'll see

- , Bronx, NY, USA

May 112008

Accord EX V6

Pile on another Accord transmission failure. Bought EX V6-MT less than a year ago as a lease-return, so it had a full maintenance history for it. No problems at all; even had the 2005 2nd gear transmission recall check done. After normal highway driving, transmission slipped out of gear and would had very high RPMs. Diagnosis is a full replacement of the transmission.

- , Beltsville, MD, USA

Accord EX 3.2L V6

I was just driving down the road and while the car was shifting into 3rd gear, with no warning, it just went into neutral. I coasted to the side of the road, shifted into park, then tried to put the car into gear again. It took a few tries before it started shifting again. It happened four or five time while trying to make it back home. Everytime it happened, it was when the car was shifting in and out of third gear. I was worried it would happen again and not run anymore so I parked about a mile from home and called a tow truck to have it taken to a transmission shop. I only had 60675 miles on it. Honda was no help at all with the problem and wanted approximately $5000 to replace the transmission.The transmission shop was a independent shop, replaced the transmission which was ordered from the Honda factory, and was about a thousand dollars cheaper than the Honda Dealer. The transmission shop charged $3991.00 for the replacement including labor and tax. I doubt very much I will ever buy another Honda. I have had other problems with it also. We called the Honda Good Faith Line. They acted like they have never heard about the problem ever existing and showed no interest.

- , Sparks, NV, USA

Apr 042008

Accord EX V6

In February 2008, my radio/clock/HVAC display failed and went completely dark. American Honda did not recall this part because it's not a "safety issue," but recognized the problem by issuing an extended warranty on the part to 7 yrs/100,000 miles. Two weeks after I picked the car up, the 6 CD changer/player failed. Other than showing 5 CDs were in the machine, you'd never be able to tell that I had a CD player. It wouldn't switch to "CD mode" or load/eject CDs. American Honda agreed to fix the CD player under a "one time goodwill warranty" for customer loyalty. I'm still waiting to receive a shipment of the 5 CDs that were stuck in the player. One week later, the transmission failed without warning due to an "internal error." This IS a safety issue as the car cut out in traffic. It slipped at 75th Street and was toast by 80th Street. Despite an obvious problem with the transmission in this make/model (see the off-the-chart complaints listed on this site), Honda has not issued a recall. It did, however, stand behind the car by agreeing to cover most of the cost of the transmission out-of-warranty.

Honda has taken very good care of me on all of these issues so far. With that said, these kinds of problems should not be happening on any Honda with only 60,000 miles. I've driven Hondas for over 20 years and never had any problems come close to the ones I've had with this car (starting with replacement of an O2 sensor in '05). I'd steer clear of the '03 Accord and try an '05 Accord instead. Or a Camry.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 182008

Accord EX V6

I don't know about everyone else, but I had heard about Honda's problems with their transmissions in the model years prior to 2001. They were supposedly worked out for all the models starting in 2002, which is why there was no extension of the warranty by Honda.

99% of all of my miles driven were on the highway as I commute to work and school. I have always been meticulous in keeping up with all the required maintenance and rotation of tires, etc. I had Honda's 90K mile service performed at 88K, were they changed the transmission fluid and gave the car a thorough inspection, and I was going to do the 105K tune-up service this month.

I had two days warning that my transmission was in trouble: the night before when I was driving home and my engine raced up to 6k rpm's twice on the way home; and the next day on the way back from a conference at UCLA when the transmission repeatedly slipped out of drive and I had to ride in the right lane with my flashers on for the last 5 miles as I limped into the dealership.

This experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth concerning Honda and their automatics because a good automatic should go at least 200k or more (provided you keep up the maintenance) before you should have anything approaching a catastrophic failure. The fact that Honda knows that they have a problem with their transmissions and are still making their customers pick up the tab makes me wonder if they give a damn about customer loyalty or are we so stupid that we will continue to buy their cars anyway.

If anybody is creating a class action lawsuit or would like to -- please let me know!

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Accord LX V6

Like most people here transmission slipped on one day. Dealer tried to fix computer software update. But problem returned with more severity. By the time I got to the dealer it was not even shifting. Service rep at dealership is doing his best to get assistance. I called Honda and got a case number. I did perform the recall in '04. All maintenance was at dealership. So hoping for a favorable response from Honda. I cannot believe Honda put such junk in their cars. Will keep this updated.

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Oct 182006

Accord LX V6

I had the same problem as most people here back in 2006. I was driving on the interstate at 65mph and the car shifted into 3rd gear all of a sudden. The RPM shot way up, and I slowed down to the 30's or 40's pretty quickly. Restarting the engine would fix the issue for a few minutes, but eventually I got it to the dealer and got a rental.

I had the extended warranty and the dealer replaced the transmission within a week. So it only cost me $100 total.

A year and a half and 25k miles later, my drive indicator light is flashing. I've also seen the TSA light come on randomly as well. Apparently the transmission replacement had a 3 year 36k mile warranty from Honda, so I'm covered if the transmission needs replacing again. No out of pocket cost again, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do after this warranty expires. I really don't want to have to pay for another transmission.

- , Ballwin, MO, USA

Mar 282008

Accord LX V4

• CVT transmission

No gripe here - When this first happened I read everyone's nightmare. So, I prepared all of my paperwork and called Sloan Honda in Philadelphia, where I purchased the car. My car was 3,000 miles outside of the extended warranty. When the Service Manager called back he never hesitated. He told me he would cover 90% of the cost to install a new transmission. Out of pocket costs to me were $252.00. That included a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty on the transmission. The key, they said, was that I had never missed an interval service in the 5 years that I have had my car. Not a bad deal and all I had to do is make 1 call to set up service. I'll buy all my cars from Sloan from now on.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 212008

Accord LX

I buy honda because of reliability. Now I second guess honda!

- , Loveland, OH, USA

Mar 262008

Accord EX V6

I planned on taking the kids out for lunch, when suddenly my Honda felt like it down shifted to neutral on the hwy. I thought maybe I accidentally shifted to neutral because I drive with one hand on the wheel & the other resting on the shifter. So, I took my hand off the shifter and it did it again! This time it started revving high and clunking anytime I stepped on the accelerator. I safely exited the hwy and was glad traffic was light, it was still drivable, so I took it to the nearest Honda dealer which fortunately was not too far from where I exited. It was not my Honda dealer but I did not want to risk driving the vehicle any further & risk more damage.

I pulled up to the service bay area but the door was not opening, so I figured the garage was full and decided to park it in one of spaces next to it. Thats when I discovered my car would not REVERSE!!! It just revved and would not back up. I had enough room to drive it forward and make a tight turn to avoid hitting the building. I then parked and told the service tech what happened. They seemed shocked to hear that car would not reverse because that is a clear sign of transmission failure. I told them to test drive the vehicle & they were able to back out of the parking space but when they put in drive, the car lurched and clunked forward. They pulled it into the service bay and tried reverse again, it did not reverse!!!

I never had any problems with this car, I purchased it new, it only has 63000 miles, and I did all regular scheduled maintenance at the Honda dealerships. How could this happen, I told all my friends that Hondas were the best cars out there and was proud of this car, it never failed me until now. I was planning on buying a new 2009 Honda pilot for my wife but now am deciding maybe that's not a good idea anymore.

The service tech said they were going to replace the clutch solenoid because the computer said it was locked in the open position. This would cost me $630, but they said it would not guarantee it would fix the problem, it's just a starting point. They needed to special order the part and it would get there tomorrow.

- , Germantown, WI, USA

Mar 182008

Accord LS V6

Failed on the expressway. Just like so many others.

- , Maumee, OH, USA

Feb 042008

Accord EX V6

Last week on I noticed the that I would step on the gas, the car would not accelerate, and the rpm needle would push to the red. This happened several times over the next week and determined it was time to take my car to the Honda Dealer to diagnose the problem. By the way I have taken my car only to the Honda Dealer for any service or maintenance since I bought it new 5 years ago.

On my way to the dealership the car stopped 4 times over a 5 mile stretch almost causing an accident each time. I was fairly upset since I had found this website a few days prior and noticed that transmission failure was probably the obvious diagnosis. The day after I drove / coasted my car into the dealership, I received a call from the service representative saying that I would need a whole new transmission, rack and pinion system and a brand new pump. The total cost with tax was going to be $5,354 which they were willing to pay for the parts but I would have to pay for the labor. The good thing is that the parts cost $3,500, however I still need to pay the $1,854 for the service and labor.

I called the Honda's Corporate office which I got from one of the other postings from this site. Honda Corporate opened up a case for me and now I am waiting to hear back to see if they can pick up any of the bill for the service and labor. Basically they are saying that the transmission is terrible and are willing to pay for it, however the consumer is still obligated to pay for the service and labor on a transmission that they know is terrible. To me this does not make sense. If Honda is agreeing that the part was constructed horribly they should pay for the part, service and labor of making my car whole again. The new and more durable part should have been in the car initially.

This is my second Honda and I have always told everyone how good these cars were. I was wrong and have now determined that this will be my last Honda. In my situation it would have been much cheaper to lease a car every 3-5 years then continue to dump money into a questionable product.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Feb 082008

Accord EX V6

MESSAGE: Heather , sounds to familiar. do you have any solutions. I have 03 accord v-6 with automatic as well, the tranny stays in 3rd when in drive, no reverse,repetitive TCS light problem as well in past. it is a defect ! THANKS Mike

This was my reply!

Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your problem. This has been an ongoing problem since about 1 yr in to the purchase of the brand new car. I complained several times about the TCS light coming on when I am driving accompanied by a grinding of what sounded like gears?????. The dealership failed to document all the times I complained about the problem until after the vehicle was out of warranty. I believe in 2004 there was a transmission recall on this car. However when I took my car in for the recall they told me that my car was fine and was not effected by the recall. The transmission recall called for a repair or replacement of the transmission. From everything I have read from other people and through research the repair of the tranny and the replacements are not correcting the problem either. In fact the repair, rebuild, or replacement of the transmission is not the problem it is the entire transmission that was designed for the Honda Accord V6 from what I hear. I have read similar problems and when the service dealerships are handling the complaints they act as if they are not aware of the problem, but just recently found out that upon the purchase of my car the dealership provided me with an extended 5 year/100,000 mile Power Train warranty, because they were aware of the problems with the tranny. The dealership has had my car for about 3 weeks now because we contacted Honda Corporation which provide no help what so ever. We took the car in because it felt as if the transmission was slipping. The service department said they found the problem and that is was a solenoid that shifted the car between 1st and 3rd gear, they charged me $445.82 and sent me on my way I drove the car about two blocks and the service engine light came on again. They assured me that there was nothing wrong with the car and that the problem was repaired. I took the car straight home parked it and drove it about 30 miles to have lunch with my husband. On the way the car appeared that the transmission was slipping again. Once we towed the car back to the dealership they informed us that the computer showed that the car was fine, but they did notice a shifting problem. After debating back and fourth for about three days, they told us that they did not know what was wrong with the car, but they would replace the transmission if we would pay 15%. We felt it was a problem that should have been repaired in 2004 or a good market value trade should have been offered knowing that they are not going to be able to do anything to repair the transmissions on the Honda Accord 2003 V6. After looking in to this further it looked as if they were offering the same option to others" a replacement transmission with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Knowing that the transmission is only good for approximately 40,000 miles. When we talked to Honda Corporation they told us that they would pay 85% of the transmission and cover it with a 36,000 mile warranty. However when we went to the dealership they told us it would be a tranny replacement with the normal 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty. At this point my husband had to step in because my blood pressure was off the charts. He told them that we talked to Honda Corporation and of the difference in the warranties and after talking to whoever the service managers boss was, they agreed to 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, which we made them PUT IT IN WRITING!!!! My husband did advise them that there would not have been a problem had they actually repaired the problem we complained about to begin with. He told them that after the repair was complete we would be taking it up with the Better Business Bureau and more than likely we would see them in small claims court. That is where we are now, I was wanting to trade the car in about 4 months ago for a Honda CR-V, but have since decided that I will never own another Honda or deal with Urse Honda again. Good luck to you!!!!

Heather