CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

9.3

$2,711.00

1. replace/rebuild transmission (344 reports)
  3. Honda to pay cost as this transmission was a previous recall (45 reports)
  4. Honda assisted with replacement cost (25 reports)
  5. class action lawsuit (5 reports)
  6. transmission exchange (4 reports)
2003 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 23 of 25)

Feb 272008

Accord EX V6

My 2003 Honda Accord almost killed me and i am terrified to travel with my kids in the car. I was head home from work when entering the 91s connector to I95 s when i gave the engine gas to get into the right lane to avoid a accident with another car the transmission slipped out gear and the car basically just made it over in front of the on coming car. This almost resulted in a rearend collision at a high speed. When i called the dealer ship to explained the problem to the service manger and mentioned this site with all the other complaints on it the shrugged it off and said that is not the case. My car is still currently at the dealer ship and i'm awaiting the results of their findings. I will keep everyone in this site informed of the out come. I have also logged a complaint with Honda USA. Hope my image of Honda is save by a replacing my transmission with minimal costs.

- , West Haven, CT, USA

Feb 282008

Accord EX V6

I too had transmission failure. Intermittent gear slipping 2 months prior. Took car into Honda and they dealer claimed they could not find a problem. They recommended to change trans fluid. after one week intermittent slipping again. Took car on interstate and after about 60 miles of highway driving the trans downshifted from what felt like 5th to 2nd at 65mph. If not for seatbelt I would have been thrown at windshield. I exited interstate and parked car. Would not go into reverse. After turning off car and restarting it went into gear. Took a chance and nursed car back home on back roads trying to keep the car from shifting. The dealer again said they could not find anything wrong.??? Honda Service rep recommended to strain fluid... they found metal particles. Ended up paying for labor only $900 and recvd refund on $200 trans fluid change from a month ago. My recommendation if you want to save a life..... if you feel your trans slipping do not have your car leave dealership until they replace transmission. Honda is one fatal crash away from major lawsuits as they continue to deny there is a problem with this transmission. Side note: I did get recall in 2004 for trans oil tube. Fix performed at 35,000 miles. My guess is they know of a design problem and all the recall did was delay the failure of trans until you get to the 80,000 mile range.

- , Palos Park, IL, USA

Feb 202008

Accord ES V6

Tranny failure on 2003 Accord w/67,500 miles.

Had it towed to dealer.....52 miles from home.......they are going to look at it today.

Fluid full, but burnt. After the tow truck w/the car on it left,I Googled 03 Honda trans failure, and was AMAZED at how many others have had the same problem. I called Honda USA,,800-999-1009, and asked about "GOODWILL REPAIR", and was given a case reference#. Car was bought used, w/25k. So I told them that I was never notified of the recall in 04. They claim that they didn't have my address, so they couldn't send me a notice. Anyhow, I got the ball rolling, and am yet to hear from the service dept. at the dealership. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

- , Center Harbor, N.H., USA

Feb 152008

Accord EX V6

we buy a Honda because it will give us no headachessss .

Any resources for my 2003 accord tranny problem please contact me. Thanks and good luck

- , Brunswick, MD, USA

Dec 132007

Accord EX V6

I own a 2003 Honda Accord and lately, I too have noticed that at 30mph, the RPMs will rev up to 4 and then kick back normally. I took the car into the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as a transmission slip at 2nd to 3rd gear. I didn't know there were so many problems with the transmission. My dealership has agreed to replace the transmission but are requested that I pay $800 in labor cost. I have contacted American Honda asking for a goodwill repair. They will have a representative contact me within 2 days. I'll post what the final repair costs will be.

There's definitely a problem with V6 transmissions and Honda should stand behind their transmission failure!! Where's the class action lawsuit?! I'm in!

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 072008

Accord EX Coupe 3.2L V6

I received the recall notice back in 2004 (I think). I immediately brought the car into the dealership to have the transmission inspected. The dealership told me that the transmission was OK and that the cooling lines had been fixed. Apparently, the fix did not work as the transmission started slipping and eventually would not shift into 2nd gear. I brought the car into the dealership where they reviewed the repair history of my car. They saw that the recall work had been completed and would investigate the problem. To my surprise, they replaced the faulty transmission with a new one (not remanufactured) at no charge even though the car was way out of warranty.

A big thanks to Keyes Honda Woodland Hills for a job well done!!

- , West Hills, CA, USA

Feb 072008

Accord LX V6

Started off slipping when shifting slightly into third gear which I hardly even noticed. A few weeks later it started slipping shifting into first and second first thing in the morning, but after it shifted once it was fine for the rest of the day. Then finally it wouldn't shift above 2nd gear and the Drive light started blinking and Check Engine light came on. After turning the car off and on it would shift above 2nd finally and made it home, but it kept slightly slipping while shifting gears.

Took it to a transmission specialist and it failed so many of the electronic tests they had to take it apart to see exactly what was wrong. Now I'm looking at $2884.30 to have it rebuilt with a 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty (which I'll be taking advantage of several times I'm sure, at this rate). They say Honda refuses to sell this model of transmission new by itself.

Honda refused to help pay for it because the previous transmission recall in 2004 did not affect LX's and I did not have an extended warranty. They said I'd have to have the car towed to a dealership and only if I had the dealership replace the transmission they could open a case and I might quality for some sort of reimbursement, but it wasn't likely. Not a fan of dealerships.

I'm going to be sending them a copy of my bill and a nice angry letter once this is done though. This is my third Accord and will be my last unless I am reimbursed. This site clearly shows more and more transmission problems every year, I hope a class action lawsuit gets started.

- , Roeland Park, KS, USA

Sep 222007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Same problem as everyone else. Massive transmission failure at highway speed nearly resulting in major traffic accident. Dealer made some adjustment to repair price but still cost me over $2500. Even wrote to President of Honda Canada he feels this is not a serious problem and is normal failure. We need to get a class action suite going to address this issue. I had the transmission replace a drove directly to a GM dealer and traded for a 2007 Grand Prix with a 5 year 160,000 km. drive train warranty. NO MORE JAPANESE CRAP for me. I understand Toyota now has the same problems with the transmission on their V-6.

- , Chateauguay, Quebec, Canada

Dec 042007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

This is an interesting story about 2003 Accord transmission failures. I bought my 2003 Accord Navi EX V6 new in 2003. Overall, it has been a very good car. Runs great, handles well, excellent navigation system, very good audio system. It has averaged 24.5 MPG over the last 9,000 miles according to the trip computer. Today with 97,000 miles on it, it still doesn't leak a drop of anything on the driveway. All in all, a good showing.

I have had the car maintained as outlined in the owners manual, with the exception of the transmission. Instead of changing the fluid at 105,000 miles as the manual says, I had it changed every 30,000 miles at the dealership where I bought the car, Goodson Honda in Houston, TX.

At 93,000 miles I noticed that the transmission began making sluggish 2nd to 3rd gear shifts, taking about 3 seconds, which was unusual. I took the car to Goodson Honda to have the problem diagnosed. Goodson checked it out and told me that the transmission was failing and would need to be replaced. The service writer contacted Honda America on my behalf and convinced them to replace the transmission with a Honda remanufactured transmission at no cost to me. I was very pleased because the car was no longer in warranty.

Goodson ordered the replacement transmission and arranged for me to have a rental car at no cost for the time that my car was in the shop. About 4 days later, the job was completed and I picked the car up. As I drove away, I noticed that the replacement transmission made a very noticeable whining noise in the first three gears. I immediately returned to the dealership and had the service writer take a ride with me. He said that I was correct, the transmission was unusually noisy. Goodson contacted American honda again and ordered a second replacement transmission the following day. Another rental car was provided while my car was in the shop.

The second Honda remanufactured replacement transmission arrived a few days later and it was installed in the car. I picked up the car and the second replacement transmission also made a whining noise in the first three gears and it also made noise when coasting along with no throttle applied. I took the car back again & had the service writer ride with me and listen to the transmission. He agreed that the transmission was noisy but was concerned that Honda would not replace the transmission again. He said that Honda says that Honda automatic transmissions do make some noise and that some noise is normal. The noise I wa hearing was not normal. He suggested that I drive the car for 1,000 miles and that the noise would likely go away. I drove the car for 1,200 miles. The noise got worse. The transmission had starting making noise when it downshifted as I approached a stop sign or red light. You could hear it whine each time it downshifted through a gear one at a time.

Meanwhile, I received a call from Goodson Honda's quality assurance person wanting to know how my last service visit went, whether or not the problem was resolved, and if I was pleased with the results. I told her that the problem was not resolved and at that time I was not happy with the results.

That same day, I received a call from Goodson's Service & Parts Director who asked about the status of my car. I told him that the second replacement transmission was still making noises and the noise was getting worse as I added mileage to the car. He said that he would be interested in hearing the transmission himself. I immediately left work & took the car to the dealership so he could take a ride with me. We went for a ride & he agreed that the transmission was noisier than usual, but said that Honda says that their transmissions do make some noise. He did however offer to call American Honda & ask them to send us a third replacemernt transmission. He made the call and convinced Honda to replace the transmission a third time with another remanufactured transmission at no cost.

I asked the Service Director who remanufactures the transmissions for Honda. He said that they are remanufactured by Honda technicians at a Honda repair facility. I asked him what the odds were of getting a good replacement transmission this time were. He said that we would have to wait and see.

The third replacement transmission was oedered, it arrived and was installed in my car. Quite frankly, I was dreading picking the car up and finding the the third replacement transmission was noisy also. As I drove out of the dealership's parking lot, I was pleased to find that this transmission was quiet as it should be. I've been driving the car for a couple of weeks & it seems to operating normally.

In my opinion, this ordeal has pointed out four things:

1. Honda needs to address the reliability of its automatic transmissions. I say this because my wife's Honda Odyssey minivan also had a transmission failure at 33,000 miles. It was replaced by Streeter-Smith Honda in Conroe, TX under warranty. The remanufactured replacement transmission that was installed in the minivan was also bad and made a grindng noise in third gear. Streater-Smith replaced that transmission n with a second replacement transmission which has been OK.

2. Honda's transmission remanufacturing process needs improvement. Why should it take three different replacement transmissions to repair my car when two of the three were bad?

3. When you buy a new car from a dealership, you hope that they will be there for you if you have problems and that they will treat you properly when problems arise. In my case, Goodson Honda in Houston contacted American honda on my behalf three times and was able to have American Honda replace the transmission in my Accord three times at no cost to me. By reading some of the posts on this web site, I would say that Goodson's support was truly excellent. I would like to thank Goodson Honda, and particularly Dan Kraft & Alvin Blaker for their assistance in this matter. If you are looking for a new Honda in the Houston area, go see Goodson Honda on I-45 North.

4. Although I was fairly disenchanted with American Honda, in the end, they did come through and they stuck with the program to resolve the problem, even if it did take three transmissions. The repairs were made at no cost to me, and for that, I am grateful.

- , Woodlands, TX, USA

Jan 072008

Accord EX V6

Very bad, actually it is kind life and death situation. I was on New Jersey 615, less than one second car speed dropped from 60 mph to 45 mph. After another 5 minutes of driving at 45 mph, all of sudden, it dropped to 25 mph. I see quite few people got same horrible experience (#6, #44, etc.). If I remember correctly, one said there is 18 wheel truck behind him. I strongly suggest we all report that issue to NHTSA. I did Honda emergency recall at 2004 due to transmission problem, obviously recall didn't fix it. Either damage already done or the preventive approach doesn't work.

I dropped my car at Honda dealers (VIP Honda, New Jersey) last Friday, because the check engine light is not on, it was difficult to figure out what's wrong until today their mechanic drive with me again. Actually check engine light was on one time years ago (mileage 60000), and Princeton Honda fixed it by replacing a sensor. But I have no idea if the transmission is OK or not at that time. Now I'm waiting for VIP Honda talk to Honda Corp to see what I can get. I replaced wiper motor once, window motor twice on that 2003 Accord. But transmission is different issue, 5 year old car shouldn't have this kind of problem. We all know Honda owners manual requires transmission fluid change at 10 years or first 120000 mileage. Beside that, I think Honda should do a recall again because it's really a safety issue.

- , Princeton Jct, NJ, USA

Jan 072008

Accord EX V6

Very bad, actually it's life and death issue. I was on New Jersey county highway at

60 mile speed, one second it's dropped to 45 mile. After 5 minutes drive on 45 mile it all of sudden it dropped to 25. I see one complaint say when it happened there was a 18 wheel truck behind. I strongly suggest everyone in this thread report the issue to NHTSA,

- , Princeton Jct, NJ, USA

Jan 162008

Accord EX

I purchased a Honda because of it's legendary reputation for quality and reliability. The Transmission failed with 116,000 miles, all highway miles commuting. What happened to quality and reliability!! I will be dishing out approximately $2500.00 for a factory rebuilt. I will be calling Honda North America and sharing with them my thoughts even though I know I'm wasting my time. For whats it's worth I also let them know my next purchase will probably be a Toyota Camry.

- , New York, Suffolk/Patchogue, USA

Jan 122008

Accord EX V6

I'm just going to add my name to the list.

After 75000 miles the transmission on my accord started failing. In 2nd and 3rd gear the transmission would suddenly drop out causing the RPMs to rev accompanied (of course) by a sudden loss of power.

Since it's out of warranty the cost to replace the transmission will top $4,000.00.

My whole reason for purchasing a Honda in the first place was to own car with a reputation for reliability. One that I could keep for years without needing major repairs early in its life. I have to say I'm feeling a bit ripped off at this moment.

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Dec 152007

Accord LX CPE V6

I bought this car new with only 102 miles in December 2005 from Atlantic Honda in Bay Shore NY. They advised me that this vehicle happened to be a hold over from 2003. I though it was a steal. Boy was I wrong. I get my car serviced from the same dealership every single time my car needed service on time. Never was I told about the transmission recall on the vehicle when I bought it. One day while driving on the Southern State cruising at 65MPH, my car shifted down and my car jerked almost to a complete stop. Luckily the car behind me had room to change lanes. I drove the car going 30MPH, while the RPM's were at 5000, immediately to the dealership. They did a diagnostic test and said there was no problem with the tranny. Since I was due on maintenance, I got the it serviced and had the tranny fluid flushed and refilled.

I thought everything was fine with the vehicle until 3 days later it happened again, this time with my son in the car. I brought the vehicle back to the dealership. At that time service rep Barry advised me that it sounds like the recall that was back in 2004. He advised me he will have it diagnosed again. He said the computers were down and I would have to wait until Monday (it was saturday) to get my car looked at. He said he couldn't give me a loner because I was not under warranty. I was forced to rent a vehicle for two days until I called him back because I couldn't afford a rental any further. He said being that the trouble was due to the recall he'd give me a loner. I thought everything was fine until 3 days after that he called me and told me the tranny was shot and it had nothing to do with the recall. He then said I had to pay $3000 if a wanted a new tranny or $2400 for a remanufactured one which I had no money for. He then said he'd let me keep his loner until he called corporate honda to see what they can do. They said they'd pay 70% of the cost for a remanufactured one and I have to pay the rest which was $800. When I went there to review everything, they had in their system that they were charging for a new tranny. I called corporate honda myself and they had no record of my case on file. They put a case in which I'm waiting for. Barry is now threatening to charge me storage fees and rental costs for still having their loner. What an a--hole.

- , Bayshire, NY, USA

Dec 232007

Accord EX V6

So it looks like my story is just like everyone else's. About a month ago, I noticed the transmission slipping once or twice. Then while driving home for the holidays, the car really started acting up. I'd ease on the brake and suddenly the car would slow down really quickly. Basically it was dropping into first gear. Then after I pulled over for a few minutes, and I pulled back out on the road, the car would not shift out of 1st. Pulled over again, couldn't get the car into reverse. Had it towed. Transmission specialist stated I needed a new transmission. Still dealing with the solution. My friend has the same car and my advice to her was get rid of it before it gives you problems!

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 202007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Experienced what appears to be a similar problem as several others on this web page. When pulling out onto a busy highway in Chattanooga, the car shifted from 1st to 2nd gear as usual. The shift from 2nd to 3rd gear not so smoothly. The engine simply revved to 5K and I realized the car had a problem. After letting off and making sure I hadn't knocked the car into neutral the second attempt to press the gas and the car began to pull as normal. Later that same evening, while running ~50 mph the car suddenly down shifted to 2nd gear without warning. The car would then begin to rev up as it failed to shift back into 3rd gear.

Had car towed to dealer and the verdict was transmission failure and that it needed to be replaced. I contacted Honda of America at 1-800-999-1009 and was assigned a case number. After several (4-5) days of leaving voice mail messages without response I finally spoke with a case mgr. After ~15 minutes of debating the AT fluid change schedule and whether it should fall under normal driving conditions (120K miles before AT fluid change) or severe driving conditions (60K miles before AT fluid change) I was able to convince the case mgr. that the transmission shouldn't have failed at 70K miles in either case. The case mgr. agreed and offered to pay 75% of the cost to replace the tranny with a remanufactured one (old housing with all new components) with a 3 year warranty. I will be out $675 maximum, but all in all I'm pleased since the car was past the 3 year/36K mile warranty. It is slow but definitely worth calling Honda of America and let them know you have read of several similar problems to get help from them.

- , Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Nov 152007

Accord EX V6

If I didn't have the extended warranty this would have come out of my pocket. I had previously complained about the downshifing while exiting a highway it wiould suddenly downshift and slow the car down dramatically. They could not find the problem when it was under the standard warranty. So I was lucky I had purchased the extended warranty or I would have been out over $2,000.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 242007

Accord EX V6

I bought my Honda thinking it would last forever. At least until I had the money to buy a better car. You hear that Honda's are long lasting cars but boy did I happen to pick to exact model that didn't live up to that hype.

First there was a transmission recall back in 2004. My transmission had already shown some signs of wear and was bothering me. So I was glad when I heard there was a recall and that they would take care of the transmission at no cost to me. I wouldn't have paid for it even if they made me. The car at that point had a little over 20,000 miles on it so instead of repairing the transmission they replaced it. Good, I thought.

December 2007. For the first few weeks I noticed that when I would put the car in drive after reversing the car would hang for a moment before engaging in drive. I shrugged it off. But it really started to happen on Christmas Eve. At first the car wouldn't engage the gears in drive but reverse would still work. To make a long story short the car died on the freeway as I was trying to go home. I waited 3 hours before I was home. I had the car towed to my dealership, Stevens Creek Honda. Jim Duffer the service technician said that he would do his best to see what he could do and what Honda Corporate could do. I was really upset and a little bit afraid because I knew a new transmission would cost a lot of money and that's something I don't have right now. Especially since I had 99,000 miles on it I thought there was no way Honda would cover it But I found this board and read some of the complaints. And from one of the posts I knew I could get Honda to foot the bill. So I waited and called back everyday to ask about my car and to see if they had heard from corporate. They said no. So the weekend goes by, and so does New Years. Still nothing. I called today, January 2nd 2008, and I was told that they still hadn't heard from the local Honda rep yet so they can do a thing. That means they can't even give me a loaner car. I had all week off last week so I didn't really mind but now I have work and it's a real pain to have to ask for rides and whatnot. So I decide to give Honda Corporate a call. I talked to a lady who opened a case for me and said they'd look into it but I shouldn't be expecting a call until this Friday or next Monday because everyone is coming off a vacation. But the next thing I know, five minutes after I hung up with Honda Corporate, Jim from my Honda dealership calls me and said that he got a call from Honda and that they were going to take care of 100% of the cost. Now I"m just waiting to get a loaner car.

To sum it up, Honda has disappointed me with the bad build of this cars transmission. Even though Honda pulled through at the end this will be my last Honda. Once the transmission gets fixed I'm trading this car in for something else. I can't and will not deal with this further down the line. No way no how!

- , Santa Clara, CA, USA

Dec 102007

Accord V-TEC V6

Overall, we are disappointed in the Honda, due to this major failure and the cost factor. I have previously had Toyotas (3) over a period of 26 years and never had a major issue.

THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST AND LAST HONDA

- , Mackenzie, QLD, Australia

Aug 112007

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Obviously, this is an ongoing problem for everyone that owns this year/make and model but I will complain anyway. I own a 2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 coupe I bought new in Florida. I moved up to North Carolina for school in July '07. I had been living in Durham for one month when one day I decided I needed to go to Sam's Club for supplies. So I hop in my car and head towards 15/501. Just as I cross Mt. Moriah Rd, my car all of the sudden slams into second gear and almost sends my head into the steering wheel. I was going up a hill at the time so I foolishly thought, "Well, it's a Florida car, it's not used to hills". You'll believe anything when the alternative is a $3,000 transmission replacement. Well, I go to the top of the hill and the car went back to fourth gear and I thought, "Whew". Well, I soon as descended down the hill the car slammed back into second gear and every light on the dashboard came on. At that point I knew I was finished. So I pulled into Mark Jacobson Toyota dealership, turn the car off, and start it back up hoping this will help. Well, the transmission was dead. All I had was second gear. The car wouldn't even shift into reverse, it would grind gears. You could hear metal pieces bouncing around in the housing. So, I go into the service area requesting any kind of help. Well, their service guys are total assholes and refused to help me one bit. They wouldn't even help me push the car out of the parking spot, they just sat there watching me. So I push the car out myself and drive to Crown Honda of Southpoint in 2nd gear. At this point, I don't even care if I destroy the engine. So I pull in and they told me they would check the car on Monday. Well, Monday rolls around and they tell me I need a new transmission (for $3,100), but also that it's ridiculous that a transmission could die at 67,000 miles. So they take it upon themselves to call the main office and figure out this situation. They call back two days later telling me that Honda will cover all but $450 of the repair. At first I thought they should pay the whole thing, but the car is well out of warranty so I will take whatever I can get. It's been about 4 months and so far so good, although I am starting to notice some of the same warning signs that the transmission is probably going to die again. So what is the moral of this story:

1) This is an ongoing problem for Honda and make sure you call the main Honda office before shelling out $3,000 for a new transmission.

2) Apparently, a new transmission is not the answer as the warning signs of a dying transmission are returning

3) The service guys at Marc Jacobson Toyota are lazy jerks who won't help you unless there is money in it for them

4) The service department at Crown Honda of Southpoint is the best I have ever seen and I will always rely on them for all repairs. Thanks guys. It is not their fault if the transmission dies again. They can only place what Honda sends them.

5) Buy a Toyota (not from Marc Jacobson obviously). My dad has owned Toyotas all his life and they are problem-free cars. I have owned three Honda Accords in my life and this is the second transmission I have had to replace.

- , Durham, NC, USA