Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

1. replace transmission (46 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (16 reports)
  4. dealer claims there isn't a problem (10 reports)
  5. honda is replacing the tranny with a rebuilt at no charge (8 reports)
  6. dealer replaced with a refurbished transmission (3 reports)
2003 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Sep 242006

Accord EX

My wife is trying to make her way back home from Fresno and the car is slipping out of gear bad enough to make her pull to side and drive down the shoulder, We took the car last week to the local Honda fix it shop and they just flushed the transmission fluid and sent me on my way. Needless to say It didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas.... If she makes it home tonight.

- , Livermore, CA, USA

Sep 212006

Accord EX

My Accord has been slipping out of gear for about 6 months. When it first started happening, it was rare and I took it to the dealership. They said they couldn't look at it unless I could recreate it. In the last few weeks, it has been happening much more often so I took it to a local transmission shop (I really didn't think it would be a serious problem). They told me the 3rd gear was almost completely shot and I needed a new transmission. I'm hoping Honda will cover it, I am taking it back to the dealership next week. The first time I had it at the dealership I had 80,200 miles on the car and they said the transmission warranty covered up to 80,000 miles.

- , Whitewater, KS, USA

Aug 132006

Accord EX

From time to time slips out and back in to third gear.

- , Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 162005

car had problems from day one, slips out of gear, gear shift sticking, riding rough. Dealer claims this is how it is supposed to work and won't even put it on the lift to examine the transmission.

- , None, NJ, USA

Feb 162005

Accord EX

at low speed and in low torque situations the automatic transmission seems to slips out of gear. I have been able to get it back in gear by putting it in 1st to continue my trip. . So far the dealer can not find any problem. Has this happened to anyone else ? Honda did not indicate that this is a reported or known problem.

- , Saugerties, NY, USA