CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

8.9

$1,824.00

2. replacement transmission (6 reports)
  3. replace brake switch/solenoid (1 reports)
  4. replace transmission (1 reports)
2003 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 062014

Accord LX V6

Once again I am having problems with the transmission. This time it won't move in reverse. WTF is going on with Honda, this is the 3rd transmission I've had to replace while being a Honda owner. Among many other problems I have had...ie; air conditioner problem repeatedly, radio having to be replaces 3 times and still not working, power steering problems etc...

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA

Aug 012011

Accord EX V6

We have had this car into to dealer, transmission repair shops and no one can seem to find out the problem. It could possibly end of costing thousands dt fixing everything that could be causing the problem and never really finding the cause. Don't know why Honda as big a manufacturing company as they are are not interested in working with their consumers. We buy their product and they just forget about the consumer after all is done. They get their money and we get the run around. We also have a 2008 Honda Civic and now thanks to the Accord problem we will never own another. Do you suppose they just keeping saying its not in the transmission hoping that we will finally get tired and not push the issue any longer?

BUYER BEWARE! Thank you for letting us voice our grip.

- , London, OH, USA

May 022013

Accord EX V6

2nd time i had to replace.. buying a new car now. nothing else to say but stay away from 2003 hondas and acuras

- , CULVER CITY, CA, USA

Mar 162013

Accord LX 4

Well, here I join everyone else! I was at a light, when the light changed I went to accelerate when suddenly there was a loud bang and the car completely was not in gear anymore! I was completely unable to put it into gear. Not even park!!! With the engine running I tried putting the car into park but only got a grinding sound!! Very dangerous situation!! I had to push the car to the side of the road by myself in lots of traffic!

- , Port Jefferson Sta, New York, USA

Aug 152011

Accord EX V6

Transmission started slipping at 66,000. The Honda dealership's diagnosis is that it needs a new transmission to the tune of $3500. I asked to speak to the Honda rep, but two days has passed and I have not heard anything yet.

- , McMurray, PA, USA

Jul 162011

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

Basically never had probs with honda and recommended it to alot of my friends who now drive honda. Big mistake being my first vehicle that i just paid off on june 13th was quite happy. Then baam hows this for a good surprise. Very un pleased and looking into trading it in for a pinto. much cheaper then the 23k i paid for the honda and prob have just the same probs - the 20k extra

- , Haltom City, TX, USA

Oct 202006

Accord

There have been infrequent (and inconvenient) occasions when the transmission cannot be shifted out of park, necessitating use of the the shift unlock slot next to the shift lever with a fingernail file to unfoul what ever is causing the problem. The dealer says transmission brake lock switch recall is not relevant to this problem. So I keep a nail file close by and ready to resolve the next lockout.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 062011

Accord V6

i LOVE MY CAR AND TO HAVE TO GET RID OF IT BECAUSE I CANT AFFORD THE REPAIRS REALLY SUCKS. HOW DO THEY EXPECT ANYONE TO PAY $4000 +. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. NO WARNING EXPECT A DAY BEFORE THE CAR DIED. MY FOOT TO HONDA.

- , Monroe, LA, USA

May 012011

Accord DX 2.4L V4

After having our transmission locked up and sliding into a ditch across the road. (thankfully nothing bad happened). We took our car to our local mechanic because warranty was out and Honda services are expensive. They diagnosed the problem to be a seized transmission and that they have had quite a bit of 03 Honda Accord s to have this problem over the years. I researched for a recall and found one exactly matching the description... but after calling to get information on ours, they said our car "does not apply" and did not care of the danger it can cause to anyone owning a 03 Honda Accord with a faulty transmission.

- , Aumsville, OR, USA

Sep 122010

Accord EX V6

Transmission went out last summer and I had replaced in October. I am a full-time paramedic student and this is twice in two years in which I have been left without a vehicle because of Honda's shady transmissions they put into the 2003 Accord EX. Honda said being that my car was over its warranty (by 7K miles) they would give me $300 off of $3500 to replace my transmission. I went to a transmission shop locally, (they are a national shop) and had rebuilt for $1800. Unfortunately they had to get the torque converter from Honda and low and behold, it has failed in less than a year of use.

Never again will I buy another Honda. The quality of cars they are putting out is sub-par at best.

- , Hilliard, OH, USA

Jul 012010

Accord 3.0L

its late at nite.my daughter has car and her daughter is 6 yrs. old and with her when this happened.now you try to guess how pissed off i am.this is supose to be a dependable car.

- , Mayslanding, NJ, USA

May 052010

Accord

Transmission was replaced with 38,000 miles due to a complete failure. Honda dealer assured me that it wouldn't happen again and again it has happened at 120,000 miles. Transmission won't pull car and there is grinding in the transmission

- , Pikesville, MD, USA

Feb 012010

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

Car complained about low voltage on the throttle position sensor. 1st fix attempt: Replaced battery $75. Went away for 3 months. Problem returned now transmission shifting erratically and very late! 2nd fix attempt: Replaced alternator $175. Problem persisted! 3rd fix attempt: Replaced throttle position sensor with aftermarket one $80. Shifting problems resolved!

Now the freaking thing won't shift out of Park unless I press the interlock override button. 1st fix attempt: Checked fuses, replaced burned out brake light $7. Still doesn't work! 2nd fix attempt: Replaced sensor on brake pedal $10. Does not work! Arrgh! 3rd fix attempt: I GIVE UP! I could replace the solenoid on the shifter but I'm just going to get rid of this car. At this point I'm just going to jam the override button at the on position! Last time I ever buy an automatic!

- , Denver, CO, USA

May 262010

Accord V6

This is the 3rd transmission that has gone out. 134,000 miles and 3 transmissions seems to be the best Honda can offer. Honda says they'll give me a price break on fixing the tranny....$3300....Thats the best they can do? Add to this situation the fact that I've had the car re-painted twice. The forest green just faded off the trunk, hood, and roof of the car. The remote audio controls on the steering wheel no longer work, the lights that illuminate the audio/cd/clock component dont work,the sun roof exploded into cracks while I sat at a traffic light(nothing had hit the sun roof). And there are many other things too.

Update from Jun 22, 2010: I also have a continuing problem with the car losing power suddenly with th TCS light coming on. This has gone on for 3 years. Twice the problem was suppose to be fixed but it keeps coming back. Removing the gas cap and putting it back on solves the problem....for just a little while.

- , Vista, CA, USA

Dec 242009

Well, Merry Christmas!!!!!...

I can see my Christmas present is to myself about $4000 unless some miracle happens with all this complaining. I hardly have any miles on my car and my other car was a 91 Accord before this one. I was hoping not to have problems, but I have had nothing but problems with the 03 V6 Accord.

TCS light on all the time, window sticking, dealer ruining my visor and headliner and steering wheel (incompacitated, disadvantaged, loser workers....do your job you were trained for! ), doorhandle chrome part came off, passenger seat broke,

and NOW my tranny is slipping! Just Great!

Mind you I am not a read neck from Ca. (although I live where they crop farm and milk cows). I actually take very good care of my car, always serviced, garage parked, and rarely passengers. I think I just bought a lemon. Most of the others on here have double the miles, which I NEVER had a problem ( normal maintence only ) with my 91 and had 250,000 miles on it when I sold it. I had my 91 for 11 years! It is very sad that I come to find all these complaints on here about the 03 Accord! I won't know what is going on because of course my car breaks on Christmas when everything is closed for 3 days until Mon. Just my luck!

Well just wanted to add another.. hopefully something will come out of this.

- , Turlock, CA, USA

Sep 202009

Accord EX V6

I've been in a mild panic since the transmission in my 2003 Honda Accord started doing some bad things a few months ago. First came the rough shifting (I tried to ignore it and pretend that I was being oversensitive), then came the violent downshifts (usually when I was going 20-30 mph down an incline and applying the brakes gently), and now the car refuses to shift out of 2nd, sometimes 3rd, gear. I've been managing the issue with denial and laying off the accelerator to give the tranny a chance to catch up but, tonight, in highway rush hour traffic, I experienced about a minute of true terror when the engine just revved and the car went nowhere while I attempted to accelerate. It did upshift finally and I got moving again but was scared the whole rest of the way home. I'm still in denial that this six year old car is going to need an expensive transmission repair/replacement. It's a Honda! It's only a 2003! As if I didn't have enough problems! The car that I depend on to commute to work has a bad transmission? Ugh! How did this happen?

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 262009

Accord LX

My 2003 Honda Accord won't go into gear. This happened once or twice a few months ago, then nothing, so I paid it no mind. Then a couple of days ago, it started happening all the time. I use the shift lock release button to get out of park. The fix was to replace the brake switch/solenoid.

- , Wilton Manors, FL, USA

Nov 292008

Accord V6

...and here I am, sitting at a truck stop after my Honda decided it no longer wants to shift into gear. It's the day after Thanksgiving and I'm trying to get home to work sunday. This has been a bit of a shock after only a few sporadic issues over the last month or so. the transmission had slipped as it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear momentarily, before catching and continuing normally until tonight. Over the course of an hour it went from harmless to dead. Now, as I'm sipping bad coffee and wondering what to do next (AAA decided they didn't want to recognize the premium membership I've been paying annually--with customer care closed till Monday) and seethe with thoughts that Honda must know this is a common issue. I have been a huge Honda advocate until recently (I have a Honda motorcycle and even a Honda lawnmower for God's sake!), but I will be getting an attorney before they can say, "that'll be 4 thousand dollars for your new transmission, sir," if they decide not to play a major role in satisfying this situation.

I need to get back to finding a tow company, but will be back to update with the results of the issue. sigh good evening.

- , Republic, MO, USA

Feb 012008

Accord EX V6

I was so surprised to find this site and see that so many other people have had the same problem as me. It comes as such a shock. In terms of caring for my car, I always do what Honda advises, and even they said I had a pristine record.

I reported my problem to Honda months ago (the car doesn't go into gear at around 20 miles) and they kept telling me that nothing was wrong. They did not keep a record of my complaints and the last time I was there, they implied that it was my word against theirs. At that point, I complained to the owner of the dealership, and it is only then that I got any attention. They are going to replace the transmission for me and said that I would only have to pay $135.00 out of pocket for the whole job. I was wondering why they were being so nice until I found this site.

I have been such a loyal Honda fan and enthusiast for 15 years but I fear that both their product and their service are slipping. Sadly, I am losing confidence in the company and will have to think twice about my next purchase.

- , Fort Lee, NJ, USA

Oct 012008

Accord EX-L 3.2L V6

I cannot believe the problems that the 2003 Accord is having. This is my family�s fourth Honda. We recently purchased a Honda Odyssey so we decided to sell the 2001 Accord EX-L V6 with 150k miles that did not give us an ounce or problems thinking that we would keep the 2003 since it was newer. Well logic was a waste on this because at 90000 miles if left as if the car had a slight drag which was not something that Honda saw as a problem, but at 93000 miles we were driving home about 40 miles an hour and it felt like someone had just deployed a parachute because the car downshifted to first and the tires screeched. Luckily we were less than two miles from home so we drove home VERY slowly and parked the car for a week because we did not have time to take it to the shop.

The day before we were going to take it into the shop I decided to take it out again so that I could try and pinpoint the problem so I could explain it to the technician. The first trip was to AutoZone where they did free codes scans and not one of them showed any transmission problems. Thinking that it was just a fluke, I went to three stores and had no problems and just as I was heading back home it happened. I went to back out of the parking space and the car would not go into reverse. I turned the car off and tried again with no luck. The car would not move but the engine would just rev and not catch gear. I tried this about three more times and luckily someone pulled out of the spot in front of me so I was able to just pull out. I got out of the shopping center and when I was going through a light the car did its air brake thing again and downshifted until first causing the tires to screech and cause the car to jolt. This time I was about 5 miles from home and had to stay under 20 miles an hour to keep the car from jolting.

Before heading off to bed I decided to search the web to see if anyone had reported anything similar when I came across this website where I was sad to learn that there were a lot of us with this problem. Honda should be ashamed of themselves to be in the top 10 worst cars. To be hones I am still having problems believing it since this is the first of four Honda�s that have given me ANY problems. This site helped me by providing the ammunition I needed to deal with my Honda dealer.

I contacted Honda Corporation after reading over the postings for transmission problems and asked if there were any outstanding recalls and I was told that the only recall outstanding was for a windshield wiper motor. I asked if there were any transmission issues and I was told that it had been resolved in September which was five months before I purchased it off lease. I explained the problems that I was having and I was told to take it into a local dealer.

Due to my work schedule I had to do a night drop off and I left a VERY lengthy explanation of the problems that I was having. Needless to say it was a VERY long drive because I stopped about 50 times to let the car cool and I had to keep it at a slow pace.

I received a call the next day stating that it was transmission failure and that I would need to have it replaced. I paused and asked if I needed to call Honda Corporation and I was told that they would do it on my behalf and that they would give me a call the next day. The next day came and I was quoted $1595 for my half. I grudgingly consented and my car was ready the next day. I drove it home with no problems but two days later and under a hundred miles��.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA