- September 26: Honda CR-V Gas Smell Lawsuit Filed in Illinois news | 3 days ago
- September 24: Recalled Takata Airbag Inflators Explode During Testing news | 5 days ago
- August 14: Honda Recalls Civic To Fix Side LED Lights recalls | 46 days ago
- August 7: What Can Happen While Waiting For Takata Airbag Repairs? news | 53 days ago
- July 19: Takata Has Been Lying (To Everyone) Since At Least 2000 news | 72 days ago
Won't Shift Into 3rd Gear
2003 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially was replacing the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 98,928 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 40 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (20 reports)
- replace entire transmission (20 reports)