Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

1. replace condenser (3 reports)
2004 Honda Accord AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments

May 042013

Accord EX-L 3.0L V6

This is the second time the compressor has gone out in my accord. The transmission has failed twice as well. I will never buy another honda again.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 162010

Accord EX 2.4L 4-cyl

for starters, never go to firestone for anything other than oil changes and such. i finally took it to Honda for them to tell me the condenser was clogged from something getting caught in there and it would be an addition $750 on top of the $100 i already spent for them to take it apart to tell me there was a problem. so, $500 later, still no a/c. i didn't know other people had an issue.

- , Mission, KS, USA

Jun 262008

Accord LX

Last week I went to turn on my air and it started blowing hot air. I took it into to the Honda dealership and it looks like a rock hit the condenser, after reading all the complaints from 2003 Honda owners and their issues I was furious that Honda has not fixed this problem and is doing nothing about it.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 252005

Accord EX

I went to Honda and informed them of my Non functioning AC. They informed me that a pebble of some sort hit the condenser and caused a leak. And they tell me HONDA doesn't cover it. A new car and no AC. I wrote a letter to Honda and was given the runarround. WHAT CAN I Do NOW?

- , West New York, NJ, USA

Mar 032008

Accord EX 4 cyl

This is the 3rd time that my AC condenser has developed a hole in it due to what I would consider to be normal road debris. I have driven a Honda for nearly 20 years. I currently have 2 and I think I may have purchased my last one. I have read the numerous complaints from those owning the 2003 Accord, a similar style, and am in a quandary as to why Honda didn't do something to address this obvious design flaw.

- , Boonville, MO, USA