CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

6.3

1. repaint the entire car (5 reports)
2004 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jan 012015

Accord V6

My car looks horrible. It is embarrassing to drive around with the clear peeling and making my car look like a piece of junk. I was hoping that there was a recall to repaint or repair this listed. AN EYESORE TO SAY THE LEAST.

- , Derby, CT, USA

Jun 162016

Accord EX 3L V6

CAR STILL LOOKS GOOD BUT 6 SQ INCHES OF PEELING PAINT ON THE LEFT FRONT PART OF BUMPER REALLY DETRACTS FROM OWNER SATISFACTION.

- , Santa Monica, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Accord LX 3.2L

2004 Accord. One day body paint started showing white blotches (body is Nighthawk Black Pearl) and peeling. The problem is getting worse every day.

- , Union, NJ, USA

Jan 182012

Accord EX 4

click to see larger images

peeling, rusting peeling, rusting peeling, rusting peeling, rusting peeling, rusting peeling, rusting

WE have ALWAYS owned Honda s (2 red , 2 green ones, 2silver, 1 blue) since 1980's - thus far. We've also never had any paint issues with previously owned Honda's. This is our 8th Honda (our first Black Honda). So I am very surprised that this one is having paint issues. It runs perfectly well, the interior is lovely -- so my question is WHAT HAPPENED to the paint?

I went in to my Honda dealership to find out what the trade value of this car is now as is (because of the paint) . I was sad to find out that It's value has drastically reduced due to the paint. It is about half of a Blue book value's lowest trade in estimate. At the dealership I was informed that some Civics were recalled due to paint issues. I researched to see if my Accord EX would have had a recall, and this led me to this site.

Pictures are of car as it is now. The problem started on top of the car- it seemed as if wax was coming off and it has been getting worse since 2012.

One reason we bought Honda's was because they retained their value so well.

Seems to me that if Honda wants to keep their customers returning to get more Honda's, they should do something about this issue.

- , Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jan 012012

Accord EX 4 Cl

A few years ago I noticed the paint on my roof was starting to chip off. It was a little hard to see with my car being silver but you could tell it was getting a dull color. Now fast forward a few years, my cars been in a garage or in a parking garage 90% of the time and now my roof is entirely peeled off and now has rust.

- , Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Aug 252009

Accord ES 4 cylindar

I paid about 27,000 for this car and I feel that this problem should not be happening. The clear coat is still peeling and I have rust spots on the top and trunk of my car. I have compared my car to others and some have no problem and some have the exact thing going on. I talk to a guy that does body work and he said it is clearly bad paint from the factory. I love my Honda and will proudly purchase another on when the time comes. Several of my immediate family members have Hondas. I just want a good paint job which should have been on it the first time.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA