CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

2004 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jul 272012

Accord 6-cyl

The vehicle stopped dead for me on a road. Fortunately I was not on a highway (I was on a 30-mile/hour road) because I probably would have been rear-ended and I would have been dead or, worse, caused someone else to be injured. I called the towing service and they said it was the transmission. The car at present is worthless. I never received a recall notice form Honda. I can only guess that I had moved from the date of purchase. However, my local Honda dealership in syracuse, NY never (over 8 years of service at the same dealership) notified me of a potential issue or recall on this transmission. This is a serious problem since the car just stalled on the road and died. Very disappointed with Honda and their lack of notifying owners of the potential serious problem.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 232012

Accord

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Accord. The contact was driving 20 mph when the transmission failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 04V176000, (power train:automatic transmission). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but did not respond. The failure mileage was 48,406.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Jul 072012

Accord 6-cyl

I did the routine maintenance on my Honda Accord. I have followed all of the specifications regarding oil changes, maintenance on the transmission, timing belt replacement, etc. Unfortunately, even with the routine maintenance performed on this car, my transmission failed on a road trip on July 7, 2012. I was driving on the interstate going 75 miles per hour when my Honda Accord would not accelerate anymore. Thankfully, I was able to safely pull across three lanes of traffic in order to get to the shoulder. Unfortunately, that is when I discovered that my transmission failed and I had to take it to the nearest garage.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012007

Accord 6-cyl

Feb. 2007, approximately 60,000 miles on the vehicle, while driving on freeway middle lane, engine started racing, lost acceleration. Was fortunate to get to the shoulder without causing an accident. Through an extended warranty which I paid for, got a new transmission installed by Honda. Since I had not used the warranty before, the premium on the warranty would have been reimbursed to me had the transmission not had to be replaced. After 70,000 miles on the second transmission, the same exact incident occurred again on July 6th 2012. I contacted Honda and was told that there has not been a high amount of complaints with 2004 Accord transmissions. Honda also claims that there have not been any recalls or extended factory warranties. I have documentation that both transmissions have been maintained to Honda specifications. Vehicle is currently having a third transmission installed.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Jan 182008

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate and the engine began to race. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Approximately four years later, failure recurred. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 04V176000 (power train:automatic transmission) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 08/01/12 the consumer stated he/she was told the initial repair to the transmission was sub par. Updated 08/02/2012

- Lajolla, CA, USA

Jun 092012

Accord 6-cyl

On June 9, 2012 my nightmare returned and again it was my transmission. I was driving on a major intersection in queens, NY when I felt a change in the speed of the car and the loss of power (car not moving). By the grace of god I was able to put the car in reverse to navigate it closer to a safer spot. I later had my car towed to a mechanic to diagnosis the problem and was informed that it was the transmission. Again, this was an unexpected expense that should not have been.

- Saint Albans, NY, USA

Accord 6-cyl

Started with high pitch whine, then it took a few seconds to go into gear, then sputtering and ultimately it would stop accelerating while I was driving.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Accord 6-cyl

While driving on the highway our Honda Accord automatic transmission lost power and acted like it went into neutral. Luckily we were able to limp to the garage as it was an intermittent problem. My concern is that this could have caused an accident if this had happened on a busy highway or we were in a position which you could not pull over to a safe location. Complete loss of power due to a defect in the trans is a problem I have never experienced and feel the transmission should not fail in this way. I believe it is a design flaw. I hope no one is injured with these failing transmission as this is a common problem for this model if you do an internet search.

- Candler, NC, USA

Accord

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Accord. The contact stated while going 40 mph, the transmission failed. The contact stated the vehicle was jerking forward and she pulled the vehicle over and noticed that the vehicle did not have any transmission fluid. The contact added transmission fluid in the vehicle and vehicle functioned normally, but the failure later recurred. The transmission failed completely and the contact had to get the vehicle towed to her home. The contact notified the manufacturer and they informed her that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 105000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 072012

Accord

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Accord. The contact was driving 10 mph when the transmission failed while attempting to accelerate. There was an increase in engine rpms, but the vehicle was extremely slow to respond before failing again. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission needed a complete rebuild. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were notified and informed the contact that the vehicle was not under recall. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 042012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission needed to be replaced at 119,000 miles. Honda never said anything about the issue even when asked.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jun 272011

Accord 6-cyl

Driving along 60mph and power to transmission suddenly lost. Coasted to stop and the side of road. Reverse nor drive worked. We had to call a tow truck and toed to Honda dealership 3 hours from home. Holiday weekend so had to call home for a ride home leaving car at dealership; dealership said transmission needed to be replaced and have now been out of a car for 7 days and must drive 3 hours back to get car now.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 172012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission slippage and failure. Similar to what I have since read online about other Honda transmission problems and recalls. Honda quoted me $4,100 to replace transmission, less a discount of 20% or net of $3,280. I have impeccable service records and local dealership (where I bought car from) agreed that I could not have done any better with maintenance--all of which was performed at the local dealership. No previous problems and transmission slippage and failure was sudden (couple of days). Most recent transmission flush was at the Honda suggested mileage.

- Apex, NC, USA

Sep 062011

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failed. One day it is working fine the next day per the Honda dealer the transmission is unrepairable and needs to be replaced. The cost to me was quoted at $4100. I purchased the vehicle new, there was a recall on the transmission, I wonder when Honda is going to notify me of the recall?

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 042012

Accord 4-cyl

Preceding a high pitch whine the vehicles slipped out of gear at third gear. There were no prior warnings. Upon investigating other Honda transmission problems I found the same problem was found in other 2004 Honda Accord. However, I was told by Honda that my VIN # did not match the recall.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jul 072011

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission with only 116K miles failed while driving approximately 50 mph. Car violently downshifted, which forced me to drive it to the side of the road. Vehicle has been meticulously maintained. I am original owner and was never notified of the recall tsb on the transmission, even though I never moved from my address which I purchased the car new from showcase Honda in phoenix, Arizona in July of 2004. I only discovered that there was a tsb recall on 2004 Honda Accord ex V6 transmissions after I researched info of the transmission failure. These transmissions, although 8 years old now are still on the road and may cause fatal accidents. Luckily for me, no cars were immediately behind me and I was able to safely steer my car off the road.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Mar 252012

Accord

My wife had parked in a parking space with a very slight downward slope. There was another space ahead of her. She had been driving in a heavy rain. The car was operating normally. When she returned about 15 minutes later, the brake pedal felt hard. She started the engine and shifted into reverse. The car started coasting forward. The brakes remained hard and didn't stop the car. She stopped it by shifting to park, then turned off the engine. She repeated the attempt to back out of the space - same result. No error messages appeared. She called, and I drove to the scene. The rain had stopped. I felt the hardness of the brake pedal, although it felt more like a stiff spring than a non-power brake pedal to me. I pumped the springy pedal a few times; it didn't change. I started the engine, keeping my foot lightly on the brake. When the engine started, the stiffness immediately disappeared, the pedal felt normal, the transmission worked, and the car drove normally. I didn't get to experience the transmission problem. Later, I could find no problem with the brakes. The linkage has only a very slight amount of play, as it should. I depleted the vacuum supply by pumping the brakes with the engine off. The pedal felt very hard, unlike the springy feel in the parking lot. I have a phd in electrical engineering and a lot of car repair experience. This background leads me to conclude that it is extremely unlikely for the unrelated braking and transmission systems to fail simultaneously, and then recover simultaneously. There has to be another common cause, which leads me to suspect the computer system or possibly a sensor, particularly because this happened after driving in a heavy rain. The postulated failure mode is a compromised computer system that could partially activate the ABS system and also fail to operate the reverse solenoid valve in the transmission.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 242012

Accord 6-cyl

Automatic transmission failed while driving. Car was lurching and jumping in speed. Engine was racing. Ultimately, the transmission failed while driving. The car was left without propulsion in the middle of a busy highway. There are 100+ similar complaints on carcomplaints.com and the #1 most reported problem on the Honda Accord is the transmission. The '03 Accord is the #2 worst car listed on the side with 747 complaints (#1 problem) on the transmission. The '04 is #12 also with transmission problems being the #1 complaint. People driving the 2003 and 2004 Honda Accord have a nasty surprise waiting for them.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 202012

Accord 6-cyl

With no other signs or warnings, my transmission stopped working as I was driving down a busy street. The engine revs but the car does not engage. I was able to drift over to the side of the road, where it seemed to stay in first gear. After limping along for a few minutes, all it would do was rev. I coasted to the side of the road again and turned the car off. I started it up after a minute or two of freaking out, and it seemed to work normally again. After about a minute, the same symptoms returned. Had it towed to a mechanic and we drained and replaced the transmission fluid, which was dark. This solved the problem for another fifteen minutes, until it failed again. Now I am looking at 2-3K repair to have a Honda Accord that works. According to the internet, this is a common problem with the make and model of my car. A partial recall for 2004 Accord with transmission problems does not include my VIN#.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Mar 032012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission went without warning as I headed up a small hill about two miles from my house. My mechanic said the failure was related to my second gear and the entire transmission needs to be replaced.

- Kettering, OH, USA