Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

2004 Honda Accord miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Aug 232014

While driving, I hear and feel a loud thump, the car begins to jerk, slows down, and three different lights appear all at once on the dashboard. It's beginning to happen more frequently. Problem has been ongoing for the past two years. No one can seem to tell me what's wrong. I am aware that Honda passed a recall on the transmission on the same year, make, and model of my car, but my car wasn't able to take advantage of the recall, because my VIN # didn't apply. I believe there is a problem with my transmission and all VIN #'s that share the same year, make, and model as I should be awarded the opportunity to take advantage of this recall option as well.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jul 232016

Car is not starting we checked everything on the car.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Mar 012016

The radio/cd player hasn't worked about 95% of the life of this car. When it does in fact decide to turn on out of nowhere, it creates an extremely loud static noise that greatly startles the driver, which could potentially be a dangerous situation.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 202015

The car radio does not work, it will turn off suddenly and then without warning at any time will come back on and the loud unanticipated noise startles the driver. This happens even if the radio switch is turned off.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Aug 042013

Accord 6-cyl

The gear shift release "button" dislodged from the shaft so you were unable to shift into a gear- it just fell out, never seemed loose. When I had the problem corrected I was told by Honda that this problem is very prevelant in the 2004 Accord (V-6) and that they sell many of these gear shift "buttons" a week! that tells me that there is a system-wide problem with this although I have never received a notification.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Sep 142013

I purchased my used 04 Honda Accord ex V6 from midlands Honda in October 2007 with approx. 35,000 miles on it. Never had any real mechanical issues and always got it serviced by the dealer. Low and behold I recently encountered an issue with my transmission that gave me no warning. I appeared to be slipping or something, so I had it serviced and to no surprise, it is not fixed. The shop has advised that with only 118,000 miles that my transmission is shot. I researched a past recall on my vehicle after this happened and found that other consumers has the same issue with their Accord and had to replace the transmission. I feel that Honda has misled their consumers and that their products are not living up to their marketing and suggested quality. I used to own 5 different Nissan vehicles, but the last purchase was repurchased by the dealer as a lemon because it was a new vehicle with numerous issues from sudden stalling to electronic issues, but no recalls B/C it was too new. I left Nissan and welcomed Honda into my family at that time, but I feel that my kids and are not safe. I have to replace a transmission that should have lasted as long as my engine, which received her new timing belt at 100,000 miles. I may be submitting my issue with absolutely no resolution, since Honda did and is not really taking responsibility in their malfunction. I just want other Honda owners to know that this problem with the transmission still exists and probably will for years to come. I guess after this repair is done, I may seek to investigate Toyota or even and american made car. The amount of money it is costing me to repiar this used car is senseless and the transmission issue should have been corrected a long time ago. I pray that no one gets hurt or worse from this problem. Thankfully my children and I were able to make it home ok.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 302011

Accord 4-cyl

On December 30, 2011 the back-light on my radio stereo as well as the A/C panel went out. This poses a safety issue because 1. during storms or bad weather, I cannot see what station to turn the radio for tornado warnings or weather updates. 2. to adjust A/C or heater settings, I must take my Focus off the road to turn on the overhead light and adjust settings. 3. in weather conditions such as high fog or where you need to use a defrost, I must must take my Focus off the road to turn on the overhead light and adjust settings.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 012011

Accord 6-cyl

Smells burning when use heated seats, something is burning. Passenger seat, we are afraid of fire, , we stopped using it.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Dec 222010

2004 Honda Accord.

- Delano, CA, USA

Mar 202010

I was driving on the parkway and the gas pedal engaged itself and accelerated by itself. I was trying to break but the break pedal also was locked and I had to move away from car to car so that I would not hit them and then finally the pedal released itself and reduced the speed. I took the car to Honda and I am waiting for them to tell me what to do next.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Jul 012004

Complaint regaring window tinting.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 172004

Accord 6-cyl

On July 6th, 2004, I took possession of our new 2004 Honda Accord sedan with 132 miles on the odometer. I scheduled to have Honda accessories installed by the Honda dealership on July 15th-16th, and picked up my vehicle on July 17th. Upon picking up the vehicle (369 miles on odometer) the driver's side seatbelt would not retract. The seatbelt was completely pulled out and still would not retract. It took the dealership several hours, but they managed to replace the driver's side seatbelt which had failed. The replacement unit retracts very slowly and has to be manually maneuvered into place. Will need to schedule another appointment to have it looked at again. In addition to this major safety incident, the outside temperature gauge has malfunctioned and no longer reads the correct temperature.

- Folsom, CA, USA

May 012004

Possible safety hazard with 2004 Honda Accord. (nar) while driving on the freeway at night with the cruise control activated, as the consumer approached the off ramp, he attempted to deactivate the cruise control by pressing what the consumer thought was the cancel button on the steering wheel but was unable to view the three button that was in conjunction with the cruise control and accidentally pressed the (res/accel) button and immediately began to speed up. The consumer felt that Honda should add illumination to the three buttons on the steering wheel that activate and deactivate the cruise control.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Mar 052004

Accord 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Honda Accord ex V6 sedan. I have approximately 9000 miles on the car. Since I have had the car it intermittently will not start. I have taken it to the dealer three times for this problem and it still is not fixed.

- Washington, PA, USA