- February 5: Takata Airbags Cause Honda to Recall 2.2 Million Vehicles recalls | 7 days ago
- February 4: Honda Accord Recalled After Airbag Defects Cause Injuries recalls | 8 days ago
- February 4: Honda Civic Recall On The Way To Fix Engines recalls | 8 days ago
- February 4: Continental Automotive Systems Recalls 5 Million Airbags recalls | 8 days ago
- January 30: Lawsuit: Rabbits Chew Honda Soy Wiring to Shreds news | 13 days ago
2004 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2004 Accord transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failure200
- transmission is slipping50
- transmission is jerking16
- high pitched whine5
- transmission makes a low pitch vibrating sound5
- coolant in transmission3
- makes noise when shifting2
- hole in transmission b/c pin in differential shifter broke1
- rattle noise1
- transmission switched from park to reverse while parked1
- won't go into reverse1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission148
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission6
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.