- February 8: Honda Accord Owner Carlos Solis Killed By Exploding Takata Airbag
- January 31: Over 2.1 Million Cars with Defective Airbags Recalled Again
- January 19: Honda and Takata Sued After Airbag Sends Shrapnel Into Woman's Chest
- January 9: Honda Fined $70 Million For Failing to Report Deaths and Injuries
- December 24: Honda Recalls Crosstour Over Takata Side Curtain Airbags
2004 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.
Worst 2004 Accord transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failure184
- transmission is slipping46
- transmission is jerking16
- high pitched whine5
- transmission makes a low pitch vibrating sound5
- coolant in transmission2
- makes noise when shifting2
- hole in transmission b/c pin in differential shifter broke1
- tansmission switched from park to reverse while parked1
- won't go into reverse1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission40
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.