Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

2. paid for a new transmission (46 reports)
  3. replace transmission (38 reports)
  4. complete rebuild (14 reports)
  5. honda paid partial "goodwill repair" (14 reports)
  6. fixed with new warranty from transmission specialty shop (9 reports)
2004 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 11 of 11)

Aug 232008

Accord EX V6

1. Brought my car in & dealership checked entire car, noted minor repairs to be corrected, etc. About a month later, brakes needed to get fixed and dealership looked at entire car again. Today 8/25/08, car would not shift gears properly, brought my car in to the dealership, and was told that I had a TC Clutch failure and needed to replace my transmission with a used transmission for $3671.93 (+ tax), and a new transmission would cost about $1000 more! There was no warning. Also told that the transmission would be covered for 12 months or 12K miles.

2. CALL Honda at 800-999-1009 and request a goodwill repair assistance. Cust. Rep. was nice and said manager should call me back and let me how much they will pay (averaging about half). Also told me the turnaround is about 1-2 days. Also, I think the transmission will be covered for 3 years or 36K miles.

3. CALL 212-566-4356 and give information to lawyer, who is filing a class action suit against Honda for this transmission problem!!!

The reason I bought a Honda was because I thought is was the best car, and would not need lots of expensive repairs. After reading all the complaints and problems, thinking about selling my car and getting another one after I get this problem fixed.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Jun 172008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I was diving on the freeway yesterday when I looked down to see my RPM's in the 6000 range so I let off the gas and checked to see that I was in drive or what else might be causing the problem. After a quick check everything looked normal so I accelerated, this time my rpm's went up but not as high and it found the gear, but I couldn't pick up enough speed to pass anyone. Just enough to maintain my speed... Later last night I again was on the freeway having the same problem and then my check engine light comes on and if I even touch the gas it almost red lines. But this time it wouldn't find a gear at all so I had to pull over and wait for my dad to come pull my car home. I will be taking my car in today. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 302007

Accord EXL V6

purchased vehicle new in 01/04, transmission went bad on 10/05 with 37,000. Honda refused to pay for total cost of repairs. (No extended warranty). I had to pay for "parts about $930. Honda "paid" for labor $1,070. the said. Total cost: $2000. I wrote several letters to Honda, they refused to commit. Now I found out that there is a class action suit because customers were cut short due to bad speedometer cables in their vehicles and Honda have extended the warranty to those vehicles by 5 %. Mine falls under the 5 % which translated into 38,800 miles instead of 36,000. I knew that a brand new Honda transmission could not break at 37,000. This is my 6th. Honda and my last one!

- , Ft. Myers, FL, USA