Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

2. paid for a new transmission (46 reports)
  3. replace transmission (38 reports)
  4. complete rebuild (14 reports)
  5. honda paid partial "goodwill repair" (14 reports)
  6. fixed with new warranty from transmission specialty shop (9 reports)
2004 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

May 172013

Accord EX-L 3.2L

I purchased a V6 2004 Honda Accord sometime ago hoping that I would have a reliable car for many miles; however, at 109,000 miles, the automatic transmission failed. The cost to repair it at the delearship is $5,500. I did some research on the web and found out that the automatic transmission is failing in many 2004 Honda Accords, therefore, indicating that something is wrong with these transmissions. Honda Corporation has done nothing to address the issue and customers like me are getting stuck with the bill.

Update from Jun 4, 2013: A local transmission shop fixed the failed transmission for a total cost of $3,200. I will never buy a honda again!!!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 152013

Accord EX-L V6

This is the same issue most 2003-2004 Honda Accord with a V6 owners are experiencing. It is awful that a company like HONDA cannot help they customers that have been loyal to them for such a long time. After going through HONDA and then the dealership it looks like I will be on the same boat as most of you. They have said they will not be helping me. I have pretty much lost faith in Honda now and will be looking for other alternatives. I will make sure my story gets told to all my family members that are currently proud owners of Honda. Maybe this is change their mind.

- , Savage, MN, USA

Mar 012013

Accord LX 3.2L

Transmission went out all of a sudden. 2004 Accord problem with ATF transmission. After removal and inspection my trans shop found the torque converter went out and filled the filter with crap and over heated trans and burned the clutches,valve body,solinoids,washers and bearing's. The car has only 65,919 miles on it. The cost was 2,669.00. We have been on alot of sites about Honda TRANSMISSION,S they stink. Will never buy a Hondog again. They don't care about quality or the consumer. To the Honda corporation " I,m going back to Ford and stay with AMERICAN cars. To whoever reads this and are thinkin about Hondog cars drive by and go to Ford. I don't like spending my hard earned money on CRAP. Remember Honda "POWER TO THE PEOPLE" !

- , Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 052013

Accord LX V6

I hate car shopping with a passion. I bought a brand new Honda and did all of the warranty and maintenance at Honda dealerships so I could avoid having to buy another car for, what I hoped would be, a very long time. Now, less than 10 years later and only 164k miles my transmission has failed to the tune of $4,600. My car is barely even worth that much in blue book value! Not to mention the fact that I already had to repair the transmission when I first bought it and now I'm reading that this is a very common problem and Honda isn't doing anything about it. A call to customer service confirmed that they're not interested in even considering to make it right. I teased my sister about buying "disposable cars" but her Hyundai cost a fraction of what my Honda cost and is still running smoothly with no complications. This is ridiculous. For a company that markets their longevity to have this wide-spread problem and do nothing is unforgivable. I will not be buying another Honda.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 292012

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I have a 2004 Honda Accord V6 and while merging into traffic on my way to work, the automatic transmission decided to fail. I was nearly rear-ended, but was able to get the car off to the side of the road safely. I called a co-worker and asked him to pick me up and take me to work. While on break at work, I did a little research online and found out that this make/model/year is known to have issues with the transmission. I called American Honda and was told that there was no recall on MY particular vehicle, and that American Honda would review my case and decide whether or not to “help” me. I had the car towed to a local Honda dealer and emailed all my service records to the service department. It has been four days and the matter has yet to be resolved. I can probably expect to pay $4000 or more to have this problem fixed. The problem I have with that is, $4000 is almost half of what I paid for this vehicle less than 3-1/2 years ago. I never had a problem like this with the Chrysler Jeep, Ford Escort, or Volkswagen Jetta I owned prior to this vehicle. The Jeep made it over 228,000 miles before I traded it in for this Honda Accord, and now at 100,000 miles, the Honda transmission dies. To top it all off, the last time I spoke to the American Honda representative that is handling my case, I mentioned the recall notice on Honda website and all of the negative feedback on sites like and the American Honda representative became annoyed and cut the phone call short. I am beginning to think that Honda products and Honda customer service are not all they are cracked up to be.

I have now been without my vehicle for 4 days and was told that it will probably be another two days until American Honda will make a decision. At that point, it will probably take at least another week before the local Honda dealer will be able to replace the transmission (probably at my expense). The longer this drags on, the more disenfranchised I am becoming with all things Honda. If this does not get resolved soon, I will make sure my boss (VP of Operations) and my company's fleet manager know about the poor performance from Honda, and I will recommend that our sales force no longer use Honda vehicles.

Update from Dec 4, 2012: NEWS!!! I just received a call from the American Honda Claims manager and was told that Honda transmissions are expected to fail at about 100,000 miles. Prior to this information, I thought that Honda's were supposed to be much more reliable, but this information came directly from an agent of American Honda.

- , Mount Joy, PA, USA

Dec 222012

Accord EX V6

After 1year looking for a 2004 Honda Accord Ex V6 fully loaded. I find it @ Wallace Nissan in Stuart Fl.( I was so happy. Lets just say that didn't last long. Three months after I got the car I started having trouble. The worst my transmission start slipping. I paid for a transmission flush after I was told that could be the probably be the issue, (DIDN'T WORK). The transmission just got worst wouldn't go past 45mph, Every mile I had to shut my car off and re start it drove fine for a mile or so. Back to slipping again. I called the dealer ship (NO WARRANTY AS IS) so I was stuck. I looked on line oh my I couldn't believe that Honda have been having these MAJOR issue and haven't even tried to help out. So on top of me paying car payments I am stuck trying to fix the problems. That wasn't cheap. it cost me 2400 to rebuild my transmission. I will never ever recommend a honda or purchase a honda again because for one they know it's a BIG ISSUE and honda won't help out at all.

- , Vero Beach, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Accord EX-L 3.0L V6

Transmission began whining upon cold start and slow in shifting at approximately 125,000. Attempted diagnosis at Honda Dealership - failing transmission. Was told to contact Honda America regarding 2004 Recall and 2006 Settlement. No response to request for assistance from Honda America.

Local transmission repair shop diagnosed slight slipping in 3rd and 4th gears, even when warmed up. Looked up Technical Service Bulletins regarding 2004 Recall repairs utilizing Jet Pack to increase transmission fluid flow (and pressure?). Called Honda America and was told VIN indicated the problem had already been addressed during vehicle manufacture (2nd half of 2004) and Recall for Jet Pack was not needed.

On December 10th, 2012, transmission failed completely while commuting to work on MN 95. Barely avoided collision reaching safe shoulder area (winter conditions). Injured back pushing vehicle out of way of oncoming traffic. Vehicle had to be towed and remanufactured transmission installed. Cost - $4,000 plus lost work.

Despite 2004 Recall, 2006 Settlement and Extended Warranty (7yr/100K), Honda America refuses to assist. Have owned 6 Hondas since 2000 (1998 Accord, 2000 Civic, 2001 Accord, 2003 Odyssey, 2004 Accord and this 2004 Accord). Will now sell my repaired 2004 Accord and my 2003 Odyssey fast before its transmission fails and will have to seek another company that actually stands behind its products.

Update from Feb 21, 2013: Went through BBB Arbitration process but was summarily denied due to age and mileage of vehicle. Am now looking at small claims action and/or convening a class action lawsuit. Anyone know of existing owners consortium or interested in joining in?

- , Stillwater, MN, USA

Oct 102012

Accord EX V6

Car was driven very easy, my wife's car,, her pride and joy, she drove to work,, road trips, got up to 40 mpg,, first new car we have ever bought,, I think the transmission should have lasted longer than it has , honda has a problem,, and will do nothing about it,, I have worked as a mechanic all of my life, I always put driver safety first,, and thought I was dealing with a company that did the same,,, I do know a little bit, may not buy another honda unless honda owns up to their malfunctions.

- , Queen City, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Accord UEX V6

I have been pleased with my Hondas in the past. I bought this Honda new and chose the top of the line Accord, expecting to get to keep this car many years and putting many more miles before having any major repairs. I have had oil changes and every recommended maintenance requirements done at the local Honda dealership. I am very disappointed that Honda has not recalled their transmissions since they have had so many complaints. If I had chosen to have this repaired at Honda, it would have cost me a minimal of $3,695.I am very disappointed!

Needless to say, I do not expect my next car will be a Honda!

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Dec 082012

Accord ES V6

I was on a freeway near my house when the transmission shut down. I was able to get off the freeway but it was very dangerous as cars were going very fast and I had to change lanes. After I exited the freeway, I was able to stop and start numerous times on my way back to local auto repair. It took me 11/2 hrs to go a few miles. I was surprised when I came to this web site that so many other Honda owners had this same problem. The local auto repair stated that this was a common problem with Honda and like many other owners of Honda/'s this will be my last Honda.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Transmission cost $6000 labor included at the Honda dealer. There is no discount, no good will, no offer from the Honda dealer or from Honda corporate. It has to be replaced.

- , Elmont, NY, USA

Oct 292012

Accord EX 4 cyl

Add me to the list of persons with a failed Accord transmission.

Previously warned of "noise" emitting from my transmissions after taking my car to the dealership to get the starter replaced. They told me it would last another year or so. This was 2 months ago.

Fast forward to present day, luckily I was only on surface streets when the car would no longer accelerate above 20 mph. I put the car in second and was able to make it home. Took the car to the dealership, they quoted me $3700 to fix it. I purchased the 100k mile warranty, but I was over the mileage. I Called Honda of America, and they told me there was nothing they could do for me. I talked to my service provider at Airport Marina Honda, and she told me they could get me an aftermarket tranny and install it for $2200 w/ 2 year/24k warranty. NOPE.

Googled around, found CA transmissions in Huntington Beach had some good reviews on Yelp. They quoted me $1250 for new tranny and labor with 2 year/24k warranty. Cool. Next day, I get a call saying I need some other parts associated with the tranny and it would be an extra $475. Not happy about this, but I bit the bullet. Ill update here if there are any problems with my service from these guys.

I hope to be out of school and out of this Honda by the time the warranty expires.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 052012

Accord LX 3.2L V6

My wife was driving back from the store on some moderate hilly roads when the transmission went to a false neutral and the car quickly decelerated. The check engine light also came on. Thankfully there wasn't another car behind her and she was able to pull to side of the road, turn off the car, then restart the car to make her way home. This happened twice. She was able to limp home at less than 15 mph. We called the dealer's service department regarding this and they said bring it in, "they have never heard of the problem." BS. Just plain BS. If that's the case, then fire the service department manager. If they are that unaware of the chronic problems with their vehicles, they haven't been doing their job or they are full of BS and don't want to admit that Honda has produced a piece of sheet.

- , Anacortes, WA, USA

Oct 042012

Accord LX 3.2L V6

I was driving on the highway 4 days ago, 60 mph, when the car started to decelerate while the engine rpms went to 6000 then slowed. The engine started producing power once again as the rpm's reached 1500 and the speed was around 40 mph. This happened twice on this highway within 4-5 minutes. We had no check engine light during these two incidents. I got online to discover all of the complaints people have had with this transmission and I have yet to see if there is a recall for my specific transmission.

- , Anacortes, WA, USA

Apr 152011

Accord EX V6

First problem April 2011 ,no reverse J& S Sharpsburgh fixed the problem fixed ran good cost. $2,345. 16 months later won't move, no reverse won't drive. Found transmission All Foreign auto salvage pittsburgh cost $909.00, Put in car Matta motors cost $676.00. Never asked, never told by salesman transmission had 140.000 miles on it. Needless to say after placed in car, drove home the next day car would not shift into gear or shift into reverse. Salesman at all Foreign found another Transmission with 85.000 miles on it and has the nerve to want another $150.00. And I still need it placed in car - will cost $480. 00 or more. Total cost for transmission work in a 2 year period is $4.410.00. When I purchased my honda I thought I was buying a reliable vehicle that I would pass down to my son and upgrade to an Acura one day. Now I need to dump this car before I waste anymore of my hard earned dollars.How can I get some of my money back? and why is my car not part of a recall? this is B.S.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 212012

Accord LX

This is complete B.S. I had no idea that I would have this problem with a Honda. Like everyone else, my transmission failed. I was unaware how frequent this problem occurs. Took my car to AAMCO for repair. Cost me $2900. My next car will not be a Honda... That's for sure!

- , Cicago, IL, USA

Oct 062012

Accord EX 3.0L V6

There is not any sign. The car just can't run more than 30mph. Then it just stops. It just happened two days ago when I was driving back home. I'm an international student here and I just bought this second-hand car last November. And I just drive 5K miles. Now it could cost me thousands of dollars to fix it. WTF! I expected a Honda could run at least 20K miles! I really like Honda before this happened. Now Honda is out of mind if I want to buy a new car!!!!!

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Sep 072012

Accord EX V6

This is the second transmission, the first one went out before the first service was due on it, at 65000 miles. Had the tranny rebuilt and it went out again after 60k and all services were done on it. Honda's are junk and I will be taking them to small claims court here in California.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Aug 282012

Accord EX V6

I purchased a used 2004 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission in 2009 and regularly maintained it at a certified Honda Dealership. A few months ago the transmission started having issues shifting out of reverse and then a day later it would not shift out of 2nd. The car has just over 100,000 miles on it

I immediately stopped driving it and took it to a mechanic to diagnose the problem. I was told that a cooling part on my transmission had failed and thus caused significant damage to my transmission and the entire transmission would need to be replaced. I was also told this was a very common problem with Honda transmissions. I did some research regarding Honda transmissions and in fact found that this was a true statement as there are countless complaints from Honda owners that their transmissions have failed due to similar issues.

I also noted there was a recall to early 2004 models. I had the dealership check and I myself checked and my car was not included in the recall.. apparently Honda "fixed" the problem before my car was manufactured.

I took my car to a Honda dealership for a second quote on a transmission replacement (I hesitated to take it there in the first place as Honda has always charged me outrageous prices for other issues that my car has had) and they quoted me a replacement cost of $4,100 but if I submitted proof my car had undergone regular maintenance that they would give me a 15% discount, which I could prove. I subsequently called Honda Corporate and they expressed that they would not be able to offer anything else besides the 15%.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that there has been a recall, and a class action lawsuit and Honda owners are still finding that their transmissions failed after Honda "fixed" them and that my car was manufactured in the year that the recall was instated but was suspiciously not included in the recall but yet has the SAME PROBLEM AS ALL THE CARS RECALLED, and furthermore that they have insulted me by offering to discount the repair of my car by only $600. I bought a extremely upgraded Honda Accord because of their supposed reliability and am still making payments on this car and now must find a way to pay an additional $3500 so I can drive to work. Honda should cover the entire cost of the transmission replacement as it clearly is not my lack of car maintenance but a manufacturers defect.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 072012

Accord EX 3'2L

One night on the way home from work I pulled out to pass this car that was moving very slow and found my car hesitating not able to pass the vehicle. The next day I was force to take my car by the local Honda dealership. Maintenance informed me that I had transmission problems and sent me to a transmission shop in Vicksburg, Mississippi. I was force to check out a rental car and pay over $2200 for repairs along with over $300.00 car note.

- , Pattison, MS, USA