Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012016

My car has large gray spot around the window frame and roof top where the paint has faded.

- Leander, TX, USA

Apr 012012

Paint has deteriorated all over the vehicle. There are ┐bald spots┐ where the metal is exposed. We have seen many other Honda in this area with the same problem. Honda has not responded to our request for information and/or assistance.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Mar 022015

Bought the car new, the clear coat started to flake off in March 2015. Notice may Honda cars about the same age have the same problem.

- Leawood, KS, USA

May 102015

Got into a crash. Left front driver side damage. Not drivable.. airbags did not go off..

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Apr 012014

I purchased my Honda Accord ex with 7 miles on it, and noticed over a year, possibly longer, that the paint was peeling. When I asked the dealership about it they stated it was because of epa laws making the paints less effective. I also spent the extra money to have the car simonized to ensure the paint which was a waste of money.

- New Wilmington, PA, USA

Dec 212014

Accord 6-cyl

This is the second time that this vehicle causes an accident due to involuntary acceleration defect. I was coming to a complete stop to park the car when all of a sudden it accelerated on its own and sped into a building. First it hit an iron bench pushing it into the wall. The car missed hitting a young mother and her four little kids by mere seconds. My insurance company sent one of their own adjusters to inspect the damages, and determined that the car should be repaired. In the meantime the people at the body shop where the car was towed to kept telling me that the car was not safe to be put on the road again. I pleaded with my insurer to have it totaled as I was too afraid to drive it again after two accidents, and my conscience did not allow me to sell the car after the repairs putting somebody else in same kind of danger. I also called Honda, but their reply was that Honda was not going to do anything about it. Honda folks were even annoyed that I called them saying that my insurer was the one to contact them through the proper channels. Finally my insurance agreed to total the car. However, I saw that the car was sold to an auction dealer listing it as "salvage title/rebuildable." The car is for sale again stating that it will cost $4,872 to fix it. My insurance company increased my premiums considerably considering me the party at fault. I ask NHTSA to act quickly to stop this unsafe and unfair practice.....updated 08/20/15 updated 9/30/2015

- Valrico, , FL, USA

Jun 112006

As I was coming to a complete stop, parking, the car sped up involuntarily. I kept pressing on the brakes, but it did not make any difference until the car was stopped by hitting a building. I was told that the dealer inspected the brakes while the car was at the body shop, and did not find anything wrong with them. The car was repaired, and I continued driving it. The involuntary acceleration occurred several times again, but I did not think anything of it because I was not coming to a complete stop, and it adjusted its speed again. Until...I had another accident eight years later due to none other than involuntary acceleration. See a separate complaint.

- Valrico, , FL, USA

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. While driving 50 mph, the contact's shoe became lodged between the sidewall panel, which caused the panel screw to become loose. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 04/23/15

- Delmar, NY, USA

Feb 012015

Accord 4-cyl

My wife was traveling on the highway when she lost control and the car did a 180. She came to rest against a cement barrier and the drivers side curtain airbag was deployed but did not inflate. I contacted american Honda care and wilde Honda in madison wi. 4 times and they refused to inspect the car or acknowledge any damages or fault.

- Monona , WI, USA

Jan 232013

Accord 4-cyl

Paint and clear coat chipping away putting toxic paint in the air.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Aug 302014

I was driving home, I fell asleep at the wheel approaching a stop light. I hit the corner of the vehicle in front of me and my front left and kinda in the middle (hood area) was smashed in almost to my windshield. None of my airbags deployed & I hit my face on the steeling wheel causing my teeth to go through my bottom lip & broke my nose. Insurance claimed it as a total loss.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Paint started peeling in the roof. Car color is black, so the peeling looks visible.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Accord 4-cyl

Paint on the driver side door has significant peeling and is losing its clear coat around the peeling.

- Temple Terrace, FL, USA

Nov 012012

Accord 4-cyl

The clear coat started falling off my 05 Honda Accord at around 105000 miles (around November of 2012). Honda refused to repaint the vehicle blaming the issue on the owner's poor care. However, it is clear the problem is not with the owner, but rather with the paint Honda uses. This is evidenced by the class action lawsuit in which Honda extended the paint warranty for seven years on their Odyssey for darker colors including "midnight pearl." It happens that this is the same color which is currently "melting" off my 05 Accord. Honda should not be making owners pay thousands of dollars to repaint their vehicles after owning them for only a few years before experiencing problems.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Oct 122013

Accord 6-cyl

Accelerator jammed in cement garage causing car to hit the wall of the garage at very high speed and severely damaging the front of the car (essentially totaling the car).

- Merion, PA, USA

Jul 202013

Honda Accord 2005 seems like has faulty mechanical on the brake. I was driving down the downward the hill and my brake did not stop. I was suspicious now that my car has faulty mechanical brake because about less than 2 years ago where my car has problem did not brake properly on the freeway. Then, I replaced my brake less than 2 years ago at Honda dealer. The last time my car maintenance was April 2013 and they stated the brakes are still good.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 122013

Airbags failed to deploy upon impact of collision.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Oct 262012

Accord 4-cyl

Paint is peeling on the roof and trunk of the car.

- Canton, MA, USA

May 132013

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on a Monday night, I had my phone in the front seat with me and I had heard it go off a few moments earlier. I looked over quickly at the phone to see who it was, I quickly looked back at the road, I was not able to stop quick enough and I hit the young lady in from of me. I was going about 40 mph when I hit her and there is substantial damage to my car. What really puzzled me was that my airbag did not deploy, even with an impact as big as this one. I have sustained a few injuries because of the lack of air bag.

- Lunenburg, MA, USA

Oct 202012

Door lock remote fails to open locks. If I'm inside the car, sometimes the driver's door lock will be jammed down, and key will not open from outside. Nothing worked, I had to crawl over the console and exit by the passenger door. Definitely a safety issue, since it could happen in an emergency.

- Salida, CO, USA