Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Dec 022015

Having the dreaded oil burning problem with this vehicle and had to replace my engine 4 times since December 2015. I tried to take it to the dealership the 1st time thinking they would have a solution to this known problem with this year and make of their car. They played extremely dumb and said they never heard of the issue I was having and that I was the first one they heard it from even though it's worldwide on many threads & forums. The problem starts off the same the oil lights starts flashing (meaning the oil level is low), then the check engine lights comes on, and then your screwed due to a blown piston or possible engine seizure if you continue to drive it. Somehow the oil burns internally and consumes all the oil within a short period of time. 200 miles into a fresh oil change and the car is bone dry with no leaks spot. Each engine I replaced it with had between 50K-80K miles on it and the spark plugs, wires, oil filter and oil was replaced every time. Within 1-2 months the same oil burning problem happens. I spent well over $8,000, almost lost my job and had to drop out of college due to the inconvenience it has caused me all within a 10 month period.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Nov 012012

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. While driving at any speed, the driver stopped at an intersection and the vehicle idled at a high speed. The driver had to apply extra pressure to the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from accelerating. During the failure, the contact had to shift into neutral and turn off the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the throttle body was replaced twice; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 167,000.

- Newton, MA, USA

Jun 162016

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle shut off while making a turn. All the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired with a new battery; however, the vehicle had to be placed into park before it would restart. The failure continued intermittently. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 132,747.

- Los Lunas, NM, USA

May 292016

When I first purchased my Honda, it was brought back to the dealer several times for a "shaking" at certain speeds. This was dismissed over and over and blamed on tire air pressure and alignment. I knew this could not be the cause and found other Honda drivers complaining about the same issue. Recently, the passenger side tire came disengaged while driving the vehicle causing the car to crash down on the rotor. The vehicle was at a dealership recently for a repair, I believe this issue has been over looked by Honda and could have caused severe injury to myself or other drivers. It appears the shaking directly caused this issue with the vehicle.

- Monongahela, PA, USA

Nov 092015

Owner:I hit a dip with this Accord 3.0 with vtec engine was driving down street when car made funny noise and the steering got hard to turn. Pulled over and found power steering was leaking. Drove it to shop ordered hose then dropped hose with fluid at repair shop. Technician: Power steering hose broke hard and old leaking fluid everywhere causing cerpintine belt come off. The hardened power steering hose broke due to fact that breaking of 2 passenger side motor mount to bracket bolts in bracket causing engine to raise during acceleration and pulling on hoses. Car drove in ok. After replacing bracket and hose noticed water leaking from behind timing belt and removed top cover. Found water pump leaking weep hole and found idler pulley and bolt came loose and fell off.(idler pulley has a special bolt with washer end that if dont wiggle the pully while tightening can tighten pulley tweaked and not complete also use loctite) also found the harmonic balancer bolt to be over torqued making it near impossible to remove without special octagon holding tool. Of course customer doesn't understand how so many things are wrong when all he saw was broken power steering hose.(which when fluid leaks can also catch car on fire) now we suggested replacement of water pump and timing kit but customer wants vehicle immediately and feels we created these other problems on purpose which left me no choice but to do labor for free just to prove im not! the lift of engine and fluid leak caused several bushings to come apart. He must have hit dip hard.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 222007

My vehicle was parked in the parking lot of a grocery store. I was on my home from work and had stopped to purchase a few items. The engine was turned off. I had been in the store for about 10 minutes when I heard the loudspeaker asking for the owner of a 2005 gold Honda Accord to come to the customer service counter. When I approached the person behind the counter, he asked me to look outside to see if the vehicle on fire was, in fact, my car. Smoke was coming from the engine of my car and two vehicles from the fire department were trying to put out the fire. The car was totaled. Honda insisted it was my fault, but I found out much later that engine fires had occurred in other 2005 Accord. State farm gave me the replacement value for the vehicle, but it wasn't enough to purchase a car of equal value. The Honda Accord was still under warranty. I felt I should have been compensated for the entire cost of the car. Plus, if the fire had occurred while I was driving, I might not be here writing this letter to you. I was just recently made aware of some of the recalls from Honda for this exact problem. I believe Honda should take ownership of this problem and compensate me fairly for my loss. I have the VIN number and all of the paperwork from state farm, including photos of the damage to car taken after the fire.

- Normal, IL, USA

Sep 212015

I have a Honda Accord V6 2005 model car and maintenance done as per manuals. I am now getting jerks while accelerating or after starting and putting car in reverse gear.the check engine light turned on now. I did a code scan and getting code P0741. This is an issue with transmission power. I did some google and found that Honda had this manufacturing defect in this model and lot of car were recalled for this reason. I found NHTSA campaign id number : 11V395000 addressing similar problem and as of 23rd September 2014, 1.5 million (1512107) vehicles has been recalled for similar issue.the Honda recall number is R89 and the recall was placed on August 27th 2011, for Honda Accord 2005-2010 for the transmission. This issue is transmission power is not working as expected and it jerks while changing gear or speed. This is dangerous from driving safety point of view. I need help by the NHTSA as I strongly feel that my case is genuine and with reference to NHTSA campaign id number : 11V395000, my vehicle should be considered for this recall by american Honda. On that note, I do hope to receive a resolution response, in a timely manner, from your executive team or someone else that is in a position to do the right thing.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Mar 202011

Windows wont come down, its a electric problem, certain lights in the car nwould go on and off example tale light. Tire problems, and other stuff

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Jun 232015

Drive light started flashing while on the freeway at the speed of 60 mph. Took it to the Honda dealership for maintenance and I informed them of the flashing drive light. Later advised me after the intermediate maintenance is done that the transmission needs to be replaced that will cost me $5,000 (on sale for $4100) plus the intermediate maintenance of $313. The car has 137 K miles. Is this vehicle part of any transmission recall at this mileage or is it part of the engine' S wear and tear? please advise. Thank you.

- Alameda, CA, USA

May 312015

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while slowing down to approximately 5 mph, there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. The driver was able to park the vehicle. However, the shifter became stuck and could not be switched out of the park position. After approximately 3 minutes, the rpms reduced and the driver was able the change the shifter. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Sep 082014

Accord 4-cyl

The car sporadically turns off while driving. Before the car shuts off sometimes the dashboard lights will flicker. The check engine light will sometimes go on for a day or two and then turn off. The car was checked out by three nys mechanics who all drove the car at length only to determine that nothing was wrong. One of the mechanics was from a Honda dealership.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Aug 302014

I was driving home, I fell asleep at the wheel approaching a stop light. I hit the corner of the vehicle in front of me and my front left and kinda in the middle (hood area) was smashed in almost to my windshield. None of my airbags deployed & I hit my face on the steeling wheel causing my teeth to go through my bottom lip & broke my nose. Insurance claimed it as a total loss.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 182013

Accord 4-cyl

On several occasions I've experienced my car pulling itself to drive forward when I am at a complete stop.

- Sun Valley, CA, USA

Feb 172014

Accord 6-cyl

The #2 spark plug shot out of the engine thru the ignition coil, stripped the threads of the cylinder, hit the firewall, and caused the engine to lose power immediately while on the freeway. Repair costs quoted by dealer were $6200 to replace cylinder or $4650 plus $700 machining costs to repair. In reading the blogs of others, this defect is related to the V6 vtec engines and always involves the first or second cylinder only. In one case the Honda manufacturer agreed to share the repair cost.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jul 082013

Car details: - 05 Accord SE coupe with ~65K miles (automatic transmission, 4 cylinder) recently, I have noticed that the car will not accelerate even when I keep pushing the gas pedal. Typically happens at around 50 to 60 mph marker (the mph needle will just stall at one location and not move). I have to tap the brake lightly a couple of times or let the car coast down without giving it any gas (it kind of releases whatever is holding the car from accelerating and releases the mph needle). I then accelerate the car again and it will go higher than 60 mph. Keeps happening often (not every time though). My gas mileage is lower which confirms that something is happening. This is a serious safety issue on highways. I am not sure if this is related to all the transmission failure issues that Honda Accord continue to see on models manufactured in the mid 2000S.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 122013

Airbags failed to deploy upon impact of collision.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

May 172013

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving on interstate 20/59 near ft. Payne, Alabama with the cruise control set on 75 mph. I changed lanes to pass a slower car but did not touch the gas pedal. The car started to accelerate on its own. I tapped the breaks to turn cruise control off but the car continued to accelerate without touching the gas pedal. The acceleration was not a full throttle acceleration, just a moderate increase. I then shifted the car from drive to neutral and the RPM's jumped up to redline, again without touching the gas pedal. Luckily, a rest area was approaching and I managed to pull the car into the rest area parking lot playing with the drive/neutral of the transmission and using the brakes. Once I made it to a parking space I turned the car off and shifted it into park. I waited a few seconds and turned the car back on. The RPM's again jumped up to redline without me touching the gas pedal. I shut the car off again and put my foot underneath the gas pedal and pulled up. I cranked the car again and it acted normal. I checked under the hood and everything looked fine. After some deliberation, we decided to continue on our trip and the car was fine for the next 4.5 hours. We drove back Sunday, May 19 and the car again drove fine for 6.5 hours and hasn't had a problem since. The morning before the incident, I changed the alternator and oil. I strongly believe that this had nothing to do with the alternator or oil change. Also, I doubled checked the carpet mat in the car and it was not even close to the gas pedal. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem with a Honda Accord. I am a mechanical engineer and I am dumbfounded by this. Being in a car with uncontrollable acceleration is quite unnerving.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

May 132013

Accord 6-cyl

Driving on the highway, there was a pop and the car lost all propulsion. An original factory installed spark plug had blown out of its hole, damaging the cylinder head and destroying several coils, rendering the car undriveable and leaving me with a $4,000 repair job. From internet Honda chat boards, it is apparent that this problem has occurred in as many as 1 in 600 Honda Accord, generally with the number 5 spark plug on the V6 models.

- Forest Park, IL, USA