CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jun 142016

Accord

Severely malfunctioning pollution control system or engine failure that emits burning oil and toxic smoke. This vehicle wa plate awj1933 was emitting burning oil and nitrous oxide components that were visible to the human eye. This vehicle was at the intersection of 112th ave/gher rd and SR500. It was idling and polluting cancerous clouds. It seems there is no online reporting form for vehicle air pollution in wa state, but there is one in Oregon.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 052016

Accord

The navigation system on my 2005 Accord sedan is not working. The screen displays "check your disk" but it also affects the A/C-heater fan control, radio preset stations, clock settings, steering wheel controls. This to me is a manufacturer defect and should be recalled. Many people are having the same or similar issue. My main concern is the lack of not being able to adjust the fan on either A/C or heater, it seems to all be connected to the navigation system. Please help! this needs to be looked at as a safety recall, in case of foggy window I will not be able to increase the fan control. How do I know you took my concern in consideration? once again, please help!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 152006

Accord

My car is not equipped with stability control, but it does have traction control, which can be disabled by a switch on the left end of the dashboard. The traction control seems to work well at speeds above 30 mph, but when starting out, if the car hits a slippery patch, instead of pulsing the brakes to keep the wheels from spinning, as the Chrysler lhs I owned previously did, it simply gives up, cutting most of the engine power, leaving the car unable to go more than 2 or 3 mph. This is extremely dangerous when crossing intersections with stop signs and can even create a hazard when the intersection is controlled by a stop light. It can be avoided by disabling the traction control system before hand, but the disable button won't work if unless the car is at a complete stop, creating a panic situation if the system kicks in unexpectedly. No car should be allowed on the road with a system like this, but my understanding is that a number of other makes exhibit the same behavior, possibly due to a common vendor. There are traffic deaths due to improperly timed intersection crossings every day, and given the behavior of systems like this, I find it hard to believe that no deaths have resulted from it. I've been lucky enough to recognize the system's bad behavior and disable it more often than I would have to disable a properly designed system; the average driver should not be faced with such a burden. Please take action against all of the companies that allowed a system like this to get onto our roads. Please note that I listed the "date of incident" as the first occurrence I recall, because a date was required, but this has been happening, and I have been taking precautions to avoid it, from the time I got the car in 2006 up to now. Thank you.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jan 012014

Accord

All of a sudden one day the gps navigation system stopped working completely. My car's make/model uses the gps navigation panel to manually change internal functions, access the trip computer, enter addresses, et cetera. Without use of the navigation panel, I have severely limited access to most of my car's electronic functions. The navigation gets stuck on the start-up screen (something that looks blue/black with words ┐Honda┐), and never gets to the second warning screen (orange text on black), where one can push ┐ok on the touch screen. When the weather is warmer, sometimes I can push this ok button to get into the controls. I usually have 30 seconds until it fails again. The following issues are present: 1) cds; I cannot select a cd to listen to. I can eject/put cds in, but I can only change songs using the controls on my steering wheel. 2) climate control/temperature control: I cannot switch from the A/C to heat. I can only adjust the temperature up/down, recirculate air, or turn on front/rear defrost. For any temperature setting, when I push the ┐off┐ button, I cannot turn the same setting back on with the ┐auto┐ button. If I push the ┐auto┐ button, it recalls some random last temperature settings, usually a very cold A/C setting (which I never programmed or desired). 3) maps; I can┐T enter any addresses, therefore, the navigation is useless. If it magically works, it turns off shortly after an address is entered. The navi ┐lock-up┐ situation I described here has been present for over a year or so. Weather does affect it. My research concludes that many other Honda owners had this issue. Many were told by Honda directly that Honda didn┐T know what the issue is, and to contact alpine, the manufacturer of the gps navi. Most customers who did this were told to send their whole cd/dvd reader unit to alpine for repair, which costs several hundred dollars.

- Norman, OK, USA

Sep 192015

Accord

I was leaving a store on hull St. And my car was at about 40 mph and all of a sudden stopped moving and I felt that it was something bad so I cut the car off and restarted my car and it started up nicely once I switched gears from park to reverse the car didn't move. So I went to put car into park and there was a really loud noise which scared me crazy. I cut the car back off and it began to roll backwards in the park gear so I had to put the car emergency break on to keep in place. Monday morning which I'd today I get my car towed to aamco and they diagnostic my car as a shaft failure which had broken which caused the car to make the loud noise when placed in the park gear and the car doesn't realize which gear it's in because it is broken inside the transmission

- Richmond , VA, USA

Mar 202011

Accord

Windows wont come down, its a electric problem, certain lights in the car nwould go on and off example tale light. Tire problems, and other stuff

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Mar 012015

Accord

Started having trouble getting key in lock approx. 3/1/15. Progressed to not being able to get key in door at all around 5/1/15. Serviced at Honda dealership on 5/7/15 with lock cylinder and arranged tumblers for original key. Worked okay until 6/20/15. At this time I inserted my key, but key would not turn to unlock my door. Entered the passenger door and tried to unlock door manually by pulling up door lock - would not budge. After I crawled across the center console I giggled door a few times and was able to pull up door lock. Drove home and tried opening door with key and it worked fine. Today, 6/22/15 when I returned home from the store I parked in my driveway and locked the door. When I realized that I had locked it I tried to unlock it with the key. Again, the key would go in, but it would not turn to unlock the door. Called Honda dealership and was told that it sounded like the actuator. I know have an appointment to have my car serviced for this problem. It is my understanding after going on line that this is a long standing problem that Honda has been aware of, but obviously was unwilling to recall and fix. I believe there was a class action suit filled, however I was unaware of it and my 2005 was not included in this suit. Since this is still an ongoing problem it is long past time for Honda to accept responsibility for replacing these actuators at their expense not mine.

- Westland, MI, USA

Sep 082014

Accord 4-cyl

Did not receive recall notice from Honda. My current address on file! insurance company notified me of recall.

- Lewes, DE, USA

Jun 042013

Accord

Air bag red icon kept coming on on dash and have been trying to get this fixed for over a year. Don't understand why Honda does not consider long island, NY, a humid territory. Honda needs to visit long island to see how humid it is. This car must be used for a road test next week and I must now pay out of pocket to get the icon off permanently and the problem fixed, as well as have the air bags replaced to ensure they are good. I would like to get reimbursed. Thank you.

- Blue Point, NY, USA

Jan 152014

Accord 6-cyl

After getting the Honda Accord steering hose replaced due to overheating, I begin to hear noises and have steering issues. I took my car to the dealership and was told that I need to replace the rack and pion steering and the power steering pump. I believe that due to the power steering hose was the cause to additional problems to the steering.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 052013

Honda 2005

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 012011

Accord

Clear coat paint is peeling off around the edges of the entire car.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Oct 012008

Accord

During the cooler season, while parked the brake vacuum system lose the brake vacuum. So when you get in and press on the brake pedal it is hard since there is no more vacuum in the brake booster. This is dangerous if you are parked on a hill with vehicles around you. You could end up hitting another vehicle. I am concerned that the brake vacuum system could fail while driving making braking ineffective.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Nov 182009

Accord

Honda 2005 Accord ex: My power windows will not always function. Window will not go down when switch is pressed. If it is down, it will not come up. Neither direction works correctly. This has been happening for almost 5 months. This week the window went down while I was driving but had not pressed the switch. Our Honda fit 2007 just received a recall notice for this exact issue. Is there also a problem with Honda Accord 2005?

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

May 312008

Accord 4-cyl

I purchase this vehicle on April 28th 2008. The carfax report had an accident indicator by the second owner, but did not mention what type of accident in terms of moderate, minor, no damage, etc. This report was printed March 24th 2008. When I bought the vehicle the air bag light was on, and when driving; it still stayed on and I told atlanta used car dealership, who told me to take it to the Honda dealership to look at it and stated that its probably a glitch. I took the vehicle to the Honda car dealership to inspect. The Honda dealership found the SRS control unit and the passenger side curtain airbag faulty. As stated on my customer invoice from gwinnett place Honda, the passenger side air bag appeared to be cut out. Carfax did not report that there is a deficient airbag. Another incident found is that the accelerator occasionally stick when trying to depress. The Honda dealership found there was a carbon build up and it needed service. The dealer replaced the right outer tie rod end, which is on the right passenger where the accident occurred. The dealer stated it was unsafe for me to drive without replacing the tie rod, which was serviced and they also performed a 4 wheel alignment and test drive before I left. My experience has led me to take the initiative to communicate with my attorney general's office, and other consumer protection agencies to report this incident. Sincerely, olutomilola aiyetiwa

- Decatur, GA, USA