CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

1. replace transmission (55 reports)
  3. change torque converter (2 reports)
  4. rebuild transmission (1 reports)
2005 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 012013

Accord EXL V6

Same problems as mentioned for this model year. Transmission began to slip and then completely failed minutes latter. Maintenance on the vehicle was strictly followed, oil changes/transmission etc. Specifically bought this for the reputation of being able to pull several hundred k in use. Disappointing and costly repair!

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

May 052015

Accord Limited 2.4L

2005 Honda Accord with 58,500 miles had a transmission sensor failure in September 2013. Vehicle was towed to a authorized Honda dealership and sensor was replaced. I asked the service adviser the reasoning and hey indicated that because of the age of the vehicle sensors become faulty. The vehicle in question has had text book service performed by the local authorized Honda dealership.

On May 5, 2015 the engine light came on and the drive light on the dash was flashing. The vehicle was driven to the dealership that has performed the entirety of it's service. The initial call was made indicating 02 sensor, then a full day later the service adviser called to say that a drain & fill needed to be done on the transmission and that they recommended I have them replace the belts and plugs which is normally done before 70k miles. I asked what the drain & fill was for and they replied precautionary. Skip forward to the next day and after I had to call again, the service adviser called back indicating that the transmission needed to be replaced.

There has been no mention of any issues with the transmission by any of the dealerships although is you Google Honda Accord transmission you would think you Google LaBron James with the number of results, none good.

The dealership service manager has offered to see if there is any recourse and the representatives that I have spoken to at Honda said the transmission was faulty because the car is almost 11-years old. I do have a case number N012015-05-07-00-219 that I am sure is getting tossed into the circular file as I write this. I have never owned a Honda, this was my first. I have and currently own Toyota's and Chevy's. I have never had a catastrophic problem with any previous vehicle and most have served me well over 100k and some are in the 200k owned by others.

Honda has put forward a problematic transmission that has cost them a lot of customers. I find myself in a state of shock due to the level of maintenance that this vehicle has received. I also would expect a heads up by the dealership(s) as to the well documented issues surrounding this vehicle.

- , Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 052015

Accord EX Coupe 3.5L V6

This is the 2nd transmission failure I have had in this car in less than 10 years. First failure was at 76,000 miles. 2nd was in half the time.

Honda acts as if this is normal behavior for their transmissions. How ridiculous is that??? Reliability is the last word I would use to describe their product. Transmission failure in 36,000 miles!!???!!!?!?!? Corporate was soooo smug when I called them (what a waste of a phone call). The service adviser where I had the replacement done was a liar.

Honda will do what it takes to cover their butts, knowing an issue still exists with these transmissions. What's the point in having it replaced? They will just rebuild the same inferior product, place it in your car, and send you on your way with their fingers crossed behind their backs. What a disgrace!!! Will never buy another Honda. You can be sure I'm going to blast this EVERYWHERE. When I am done, the world will know about this!!!

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 302015

Accord LX V6

Honda's transmission is horrible. I had the same thing happened to my 2001 Honda Civic at 110K miles. If you own a Honda, count on having a new transmission at around 100k. I contacted the dealer and they said they don't have any known problem with the transmission which is a big lie. My next car will not be a Honda.

- , Westminster, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Accord EXL 3.0L V6

My post reflects that of sjosh28 almost to the letter. Substitute Honda Canada for Honda America & we have the identical story. Buying new every 4-5 years for over 30 years, every service interval complied with using OEM parts.

Honda had (has) an issue that should have been handled better. Countless long time returning customers walked away. We repaired ours out of pocket as it was due to start serving university student duty. We were currently in the market for a new Accord at the time.Yes it was out of warranty but my cash on hand certainly wasn't.

Long & short........I would have been happy with a complimentary oil change from Honda Canada, a ball, hat, a cup of coffee.............anything but the one-fingered wave I received.

"So sorry, yada, yada,,yada, we hope to be able to continue to provide better products to you in the future etc.."

Subsequent follow up was replied to stating we had changed brands & wouldn't be looking back.

- , Saint John, NB, canada

Jan 152015

Accord 2.4L

- , Jeddah, S, Saudi Arabia

Dec 242014

Accord SE V6

click to see larger images

transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure

This Honda Accord SE v6 coupe is junk , bought it from a dealer and after 6 mo the transmission failed , it's at the Honda dealership getting a rebuilt transmission for $4,500. Where will I get this kind of money? Honda isn't as great as they say .

- , Greenville, TX, USA

Oct 102014

Accord EX-L V6

Total sudden transmission failure merging onto Interstate 95 during Friday rush hour, afternoon traffic. No dash lights and no warning of a transmission problem prior to this event. Transmission fluid changed every 30K knowing that Honda likes to claim that this will prevent premature transmission failure. This is not the case, it is clear that a design issue is at play. This issue was poorly addressed by Honda in 2003 and seems to still persist into the 2005 model year.

- , Spring City, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Accord 2.4L

Good old Honda have done it again. Bought this car a while ago got the car checked out before purchasing. Never thought to question the slight whine one could hear whilst driving at high speeds. Well that was a stupid decision. After much researching found out that the gearbox differential has a bearing issue. What a pain in the a.. Good old Honda screwed it up again the last thing someone wants to hear is an annoying high pitch whining sound whilst driving on the motorway. I regret buying this stupid car and would have touched it with a ten foot barge pole otherwise. Repairing the transmission is a costly expense and is not even guaranteed to outlast the car. Stupid piece if sh.. Last Honda I buy.

- , Auckland, N/A, New Zealand

Sep 212014

Accord EXL 3.2L V6

First of all I want to take this opportunity to mention that me and my family have been driving Honda for nearly 30 years and this is the first time I have experienced a transmission problem and this experience has certainly shaken my faith in the bullet-proof reputation of Hondas. I thank CAS and NHTSA for their ongoing efforts to provide consumers with information to ensure their safety and help them make informed decisions. Until this incident we have been taking pride in recommending your Honda to our friends and associates via word-of-mouth.

I have been advised by my auto service agent to notify Center for Auto Safety. I am reaching out to you after I have exhausted all the customer care channels and I do hope to receive a resolution of my issue. This incident is concerning my 2005 Honda Accord EXL V6 . I am the first owner and car has 80000 miles on it. On 21st September 2014 automatic transmission failed without any warning while I was driving on freeway . Check engine light never turned on .The car just stopped on a crowded interstate, which was very frightening. This vehicle has been properly maintained and I've never missed an oil change, timing belt, etc. I can't believe the transmission would just fail like that! I've never had any major problems with this car, no leaks, no engine issues and this leads me to believe there is some sort of defect with this automobile which needs to be recalled.

Now that I did a little research I see that it seems to be a common issue. My situation with the transmission is obviously NOT an isolated incident and Honda needs to step-up to the plate. The mechanic who looked at my car said that he has seen this same problem time and time again with Honda's especially with 2005 Accord V6 transmission failures. Apparently the transmission commonly overheats and Honda is aware of it as they have sent bulletins regarding the problem to repair shops. Why wasn't I, as a Honda owner, made aware of the problem? Why didn't Honda offer to have something put in the car that would prevent the transmission from overheating?

On further research on NHTSA website, I found NHTSA Campaign ID number : 11V395000 addressing similar problem and as of 23rd September 2014, 1.5 million (1512107) vehicles has been recalled for similar issue.The Honda recall number is R89 and the recall was placed on August 27th 2011, for Honda Accords 2005-2010 for the transmission.

I took my car to, Grossinger Honda, my local Honda Dealer who has confirmed the diagnosis and told us that the transmission had completely failed although fluid levels were normal. DTC codes were P0741, P0746, and P0777. Since most places do not rebuild Honda transmissions, so they would have to order a new one and will cost $4,300.00 to replace.

I contacted Honda and they opened a case and gave me a Case No:N012014-09-22-02450. However Honda Customer Service told me that my car is not part of the recall and it is out of warranty . Even though everything they described about what the car would be doing is exactly what happened with mine; the abnormal noises, shifting in and out of gear, etc. and the problem diagnosed by Honda Dealer is similar to the recall , still American Honda told me that it's not covered and they are not willing to help. Even though more than 1.5 million vehicles are affected from this recall and they tell me my car isn't one? Both the Honda agents refused to escalate my case for further review. Here are details of my interaction for your reference. Complaint No- N012014-09-22-02450 Talked to agent at 6.30 PM central time on 22nd September 2014. Talked to superviser at 6.44 PM central time on 22nd September 2014.

We purchased the Honda because of its reputation for reliability and dependability. I've followed the recommended maintenance verbatim. This is completely unacceptable and has this experience has certainly shaken my faith in the bullet-proof reputation of Hondas. I've done absolutely everything right that I've needed to and this happens? I just don't understand it, I don't. I know that Honda had previous transmission issues with the 2001-2004 Accords but did they not correct the issue for 2005? Even after getting the diagnostic done with dealer, the "Check Engine" light had not turned on.

Just the thought that what if I would have got into an accident on that day because of transmission failure! Thank God I didn't. We were lucky that nobody was hurt when the transmission gave out . Honda should own up to their transmission defects instead of continuing to sell a product they know is dangerous and hoping the warranty runs out before they have to foot the bill. I think Honda is greatly under estimating the value of a satisfied customer and the ability of a dissatisfied customer to "spread the word."

I strongly feel that my case is genuine and with refrence to NHTSA Campaign ID number : 11V395000, my vehicle should be considered for this recall by American Honda . I am hoping that my case is further reviewed by American Honda Customer Care Executive team for further review. On that note, I do hope to receive a resolution response , in a timely manner, from your executive team or someone else that is in a position to do the right thing and restore my faith in American Honda.

NHTSA’s safety complaint (ODI Number) is: 10638514

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 052014

Accord ES 3.0L V5 Vtech

I hate honda engine missfires after changing plugs every year oil changed every 2 months and car is always checked. The tranny failed today and i feel like beating everyone's ass in honda because they are going to run me 3-4 grand for something that shouldn't have failed. F*ck THIS ALL.

- , Monrovia, MD, USA

Jun 142014

Accord EX V6

Had two Honda's in the last 14 years - 4 failed transmissions!

Will never buy Honda again.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 242013

Accord LX V6

I have an 05 Accord v6 w/110K on it and I just found out recently that my transmission is dead. I bought the car new. Judging from all the complaints, it looks like I am not alone. I bought a honda b/c of its good reputation and reliability. Guess I was wrong??!! I noticed the problem started occurring 2 days ago, where I would I give it some gas and it doesnt move but the speedometer moves to the appropriate mile. I had to turn the engine off and restart it in order for me to drive it. I was so scared I wasnt gonna make it home when I was driving home from work on the highway! But fortunately I made it home safely. I didnt want to take any chances to drive it myself to my mechanic so I had to get it towed there. Such a headache!

I was hoping this car would last me another 2 yrs at least, I have no idea how I am going to pay for this or just buy another car. And of course it has to happen around the holidays!!?? Thx alot!

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 212014

Accord EX-L 3.2L V6

Problems shifting, no grinding noises, but literally 8+ seconds to shift gears. Leaking transmission (CAM, crank, all went bad).

No "get up and go" and a month prior to failure I had it inspected. Never showed any sign of problems.

I need my car for my job (real estate) and this was an absolute shock with a well-maintained vehicle at 98k miles.

Couple this with power steering system replacement, fuse problems, recall for power steering lines, possible recall for computer system, and I will never buy another Honda. We were going to purchase a new CR-V, but I think it's time for a Toyota or Subaru. This is ridiculous. Like people have $3000 lying around.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Jan 082014

Accord EX 3.0L V6

puchased vehicle 7 montha ago from dealer & was a problem from jump where headlights were out, tail light, brake rotors. I also did a power steering flush * o ring replace.now the transmission is worn & torque converter needs to be replaced cost $3200.

- , bronx, NY, USA

Jun 172013

Accord LX 3.0L

I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6 brought it @ 29,000 it was running good and then about 55,000 ( almost 3 years) transmission just shut down no warnings it was under warranty so they had to fix it but now its again (almost 3 years later) and i have the same problem car will not move. I had refinanced and so i didn't put the warranty back on the car because transmission was done previously so i figured it would be no problem but was i so WRONG about that. Tried calling Honda Prime where i brought the car and the lady tells me that there's nothing they can do because i'm no longer under warranty which is BS. they fixed my transmission and now its not their problem but then tells me that there's a recall on the power steering which i put $700 into and i never received any paper work stating that there was a recall. so yes i do want my money back. My question is if all these compliants why in the HELL is nothing happening no one has $4000 laying to around to be fixing problems that have already been fixed. HELP I NEED ANSWERS!!!!!! They knew something was wrong with that transmission the 1st and 2nd time they're really ROBBING people. What do we need to do for them to realize its HONDA'S FAULT.

- , Boston, MA, USA

May 272013

Accord EX V6

Honda is touted as the most reliable car and to have the transmission go out and need a complete replacement at 93,000 miles and around $3000 is ridiculous. I have had previous cars that were much less expensive where I didn't have to do anything but standard maintenance until well over 125,000 miles. I will not be buying a honda in the future. Buyer beware!!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Apr 102013

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Just wanted to add to the list of complaints. It's been about a month where the car would delay 5-10 seconds when shifting gears. Suddenly on the highway while going 60 mph, the RPM shot up to 6000 and then my car started slowing down. The car wouldn't accelerate any further and ended getting stuck on the highway during a rainstorm. My mechanic took a look and said the transmission was shot. I called up Honda as the mechanic said it may be under warranty. I gave them a call and was told it's not covered. They recommended I leave my mechanic and have it towed "again" to a Honda dealer as American Honda may be willing to give me a discount. I was a bit wary about the 'may be' so when I asked if that was certain, he said he wouldn't be able to tell me. So I chose to avoid going to the dealer as given my luck, they'd charge me and arm and a leg, not cover any cost as offered, and I'd have to pay for towing service again.

Decided to pay the local mechanic $2,000 to have the transmission rebuilt as I only have 78k miles on it.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 232013

Accord ES V6

This car was purchased with about 87,000 miles approximately two years ago. It is the top-end w/ leather, heated seats, etc.

Until this incident we had never experienced any problems with the transmission. However, my wife told me that a few days before when driving the car in city traffic she thought she heard the engine very briefly "race" but she wasn't sure if she was imagining it or not.

Regarding the problem day, about 40 miles into a 60-mile highway trip down the California Central Coast and driving about 75 mph under cruise control the car briefly lost power, the tach went up to 4000-5000 rpm. I turned off cruise control and we continued. After another 15 or so miles the problem reoccurred. By the time we went another 10 miles we found that we could not negotiate even a slightly upward sloping off-ramp. Instead, I had to roll back down the ramp (luckily no vehicles were coming) and turn the engine off.

After having turned the engine off, I noticed that even in Park gear the car was slowly rolling backwards. Fortunately the emergency brake still worked. At this point the "Check Engine" light had not turned on.

After sitting for five minutes or so I found that I was able to get the car moving again and we managed to get to our destination (a dinner house). After dinner I tried the car again. This time the Check Engine light did come on. I found the car to be less and less drivable over the next 10 miles of driving/testing. Ultimately I got it to to a repair shop recommended by a local 76 gas outlet. By then we were smelling overheated automatic transmission fluid.

The diagnosis was that the transmission had completely failed although fluid levels were normal. Metal was found in the fluid and the gears were described as stripped.

The repair shop recommended a Jasper remanufactured transmission which cost about $4,100. It comes with a 3-year parts and labor guarantee. According to the repair shop, Jasper has also made improvements in the transmission which -- judging from the many other similar complaints on this topic for this car -- would be a very good thing.

We didn't buy this car from Honda and it certainly has some miles. Still, it appeared to be well cared for and checked out fine when we purchased it.

I've been driving for nearly 50 years and this is the first time I've experienced a transmission problem other than a couple of clutch replacements on manual transmissioned cars. This experience has certainly has shaken my faith in the bullet-proof reputation of Hondas.

- , San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jan 022013

Accord EX 3.0L V6

My 05 Honda Accord tranny is completely dead. Theres a long delay between Drive, Park, or Reverse and slips like crazy. Now it barely moves and I have to get it towed to get it fixed. The dealer quoted me over $4,400 for a new one plus labor. This car only has 65k miles on it. I don't really drive that much and had the car since 2006 and took good care of it. Now that the warranty had expired they don't want to take responsibility for it. I'm very disappointed in Honda and will never buy another one.

- , Upper Darby, PA, USA