CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.6

1. Honda should replace seats at their cost (19 reports)
  2. replace cheap leather seat covers (19 reports)
  4. better quality/better customer service (4 reports)
2008 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 012014

Accord EXL 3.2L V6

The leather on my center console and driver's arm rest is bubbling. It looks ugly and I would like to trade my car for one that gets better gas mileage and I know I won't be able to get what I need out of it.

- , Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Jan 152009

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

In 2009, the dealership replaced drivers seat cover and later that same year the passenger. 2010- AGAIN front driver & passenger covers needed replacement as did the entire rear seat bottom covers as well as the middle arm rest leather was now needing to be replaced. My wife was (& is still) the only driver and very rarely had a front passenger or back seat passengers. We used the dealerships recommended cleaning products for the leather seats and middle arm rest console. The driver's seat cover was replaced, not the passenger nor would the dealership or Honda cover the rear seat, additional passenger cover or arm rest. My wife is not nor was "over weight", wore "scented body creams/lotions" or "unusual tanning, body makeup". Nor have we ever used any laundry detergents other than perfume, color (dye) free or hypoallergenic. The Honda needs the seat covers replaced and at this point the warranty has expired for these accessories...

- , Griswold, CT, USA

Jan 012011

Accord LX V6

WOW ...MAKE SURE YOU GET THE LEATHER INTERIOR PROTECTION ...

bEST THING TO DO, DON'T GET LEATHER IN HOT CLIMATES ......OR AT ALL

- , Carolina, Puert Rico, Puerto Rico

Jan 012009

Accord EX 3.2L

The leather on the seats is all worn and of poor quality.the armrest is the worst. I will add pictures. It literally has the thickness of tissue paper and Honda should replace free.

- , Broad Channel, NY, USA

Mar 012013

Accord LX V6

My leather is peeling on the door and almost completely off on the armrest. I am 'glad' this is not just my problem and many others have experienced the same issue! I pay too much for a Honda I plan to keep for years to have this problem. It is ugly to look at and expensive to fix. I think Honda should address this concen immediately.

- , Colbert, GA, USA

Jun 012010

Accord Sedan 4 Cyclinder

The leather seats in the car is spotting, ripping and bubbling supposedly due to wear and tear of the vehicle only after 2.5 years. I'm the only rider in the vehicle and can't understand why the leather seats are melting thus leaving a nasty spotty stain. After calling Honda and making a complaint - the customer service representative at Honda made me believe that they were going to do something about the issues. Later to discover after I took the car to the local Honda dealership that the seat were vinyl and that it was normal wear and tear of the vehicle. First of all I was not aware that the seats were vinyl - the specs on the vehicle stated that the seats were leather. I am so unhappy with the vehicle, I can't sell the car at it's blue book value. Now the leather on the doors are bubbling up and the arm rest in the center is ripped into shrews. I've talked to other people who had purchased the 2008 Honda Accord Sedan and they've had the same problems. One guy after complaining to Honda decided to get the entire interior replace with "real leather" and not vinyl to restore the value in his vehicle. He paid $1,750. I refuse to invest another dollar into this vehicle let alone purchase another Honda Accord. I enjoyed the car, however, turned sour by the interior of the vehicle.

Honda ought to be ashamed of selling stuff crappy vehicle.

Sincerely,

I will never purchase another HONDA Accord. I don't care how nice they look. This incident has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Victoria Richardson

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Jan 012013

Accord LX V6

I really, really love my honda but today I am very disturbed. When I brought my Honda it was still on the truck and actually the Honda commercial car. After a month or two the leather seats began to discolor and honda offered to change all of the seats. Well when it was time to do so, they had amnesia and only remembered saying that they would only replace the back seats..okay, I foolishly went along with that excited about my first new car. Shortly there after I took the car for an oil change and some one cleaned the front seats which left "white spots" then they HAD to change the front seats.

Now, Im watching my arm glove compartment and the two door handles made of leather peel the same as the picture on this website. Its disgusting for the amount of money that I paid for the car also being that the interior states that its "leather" but its not. I believe that there was a leather grain issue going on back in 2008 when I brought the car and Honda should really acknowledge that, I mean why lose potential future sales for a $100 job that can be fixed to save your reputation due to YOUR faulty product? .

I called the corporate office and was told that there was nothing that they could do. The reason I didnt contact Honda sooner was because I wanted to make sure that it was in fact the leather and not wear and tear, really wasnt expecting Honda to respond this way.

- , south plainfield, New Jersey, USA

Jun 082012

Accord EX-L V6

click to see larger images

poor leather quality poor leather quality poor leather quality

There should be a recall for this. I paid for quality up front with the hefty price tag.

- , Dyer, IN, USA

Jan 142013

Accord

Leather (Very Thin) on armrest has split and ripped apart. I have a 1998 honda accord as well which I did not have this problem with. I'm very disappointed, these cars are way to expensive for such unattrative damage. This should be a recall!!!

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Jun 012007

Accord EXL

I had to replace the center console because the leather was bubbling up and it ripped. I am a senior and take very good care of my car. I purchased the (what I thought was the best) Accord with all the extras and leather upholstry. I could have saved myself a lot of money by buying the cheapest type possible. I am now having the armrests on both of the front doors coming loose and starting to tear. Now I am probably going to have to replace them. I have purchased Honda before and kept for fifteen years. My civic was just like it was when I bought it.... GREAT LITTLE CAR.

Right now I would not take another Honda unless they would guarantee me that this wouldn't happen again. It is embaressing to have an expensive care like this and have the upholstery deteriating.

I feel angry because the dealer didn't even offer to make good for the inconvenience and expense of correcting this problem. It was not anything that I caused to happen. It was a result of poor workmanship of the manufacturer.

The Honda Accord is a very reliable car and economical but I am anoyed by this upholstery problem.

- , Margate, FL, USA

May 312011

Accord

Leather on center console is as thin as paper and once it begins to tear, there's no stopping it.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 152009

Accord EX-L V6

I was very disappointed, as my armrest started bubbling and my front seats started looking as if they were scratched. AS time passed it got worse, the marks on the leather were terrible. There were such large marks that looked like claws scrubbed it and there were also some spots on the back part that looked like an imprint of something melted against it. It is really hard to explain. I was told towards the beginning that it may have been caused by the sun and that cleaning and conditioning it would fix it. This did not work. My armrest tore where it had been bubbled for so long and has almost completely come off. Let me tell you, it is not even leather. It is like a very very thin plastic like vinyl. It looks so bad but I am not employed at this time so I cannot get it fixed. I was searching online to see if I could find two front seats in a junk yard and to see ow much it would be. I thought that may be much cheaper than having seats redone. That is when I stumbled across this site and was amazed to see how many other complaints were made about the exact same thing. It is a shame. I even emailed the dealership with my complaint, as I had some other issues also since the purchase of my car. Do you know I never received a response but did start getting sales people emailing me about purchasing a new car....really?! I have been a long time Honda owner. I purchased 2 brand new Hondas, a 2002 and a 2008, both EX and fully loaded. The leather in my 2002 model looks way better and is in much better condition than my 2008 model and it has almost 300k miles on it. It is a damn shame that the quality is so poor and that Honda has lowered their standards and quality. I never thought I would ever own anything except a Honda but after the problems I have had so far, I am seriously considering a Toyota, Hyundai or a Kia next go around. I have had problems such as a problem with my transmission (which was covered under warranty) but I was lectured on what type of gasoline to use and questioned about the gasoline I used as if I were a child. Gas caused my transmission to pull and jerk? I was told that if I continued to use some brand gasolines that it would not be covered and was given a list of top tier gas stations (in which the very few listed that we have in our area are scarce). I use good gas now and my car is doing the same thing again. What excuse may come next? I also had to have my brakes replaced 3 times within 30k miles, as well as tires. Those Michelin tires were discontinued...go figure and supposedly they came up with a better brake pad (which I wouldn't know because after the 2nd time...I went with an aftermarket pad from elsewhere which lasted me a very long time). I am so disappointed and angry that my next car will most likely be a Toyota or a Hyundai. My leather started looking really bad just a little over a year and is so ugly. There is no reason the leather should do as it has done nor the armrest to bubble and split eventually to come off. And if I'm paying top dollar for the top of the line model with leather...I expect to get quality leather. I'm appalled that the quality is so low and that the armrest isn't even leather at all. Shame on Honda. Great way to ruin your long time great reputation you had for selling the best cars. It is slowly going down and other makes are slowly running ahead and are sure to surpass. Look what happened to Mercedes. They damn near went bankrupt because of poor quality. And has anyone noticed how loud it is when you are riding on the highway? It is ridiculous. You can barely hear someone when on the phone because of the loud wind noise. You drive a Toyota Camry and see how much more quiet it is. The worst thing to me right now is that I worked at a Toyota dealership when I bought my Honda! I could have received a very generous discount and also made one of the owners mad but I was a Honda girl and my loyalty was to Honda. I am no longer partial to Hondas and I hope people out there get the message across to Honda. The only remedy would be a recall, as nobody should have to pay to have this cheap stuff replaced or fixed. We paid more than enough in the purchase price for the package...trust me, the markup is outrageous.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 012008

Accord EXL 4 cyl

We got a bad cow placed in the car. Leather seats wrinkled and bubbled within the first year. At first, Honda said could be the products use or the sun. Well, we had the receipt of the Lexal purchased at the dealership (not reason) and car is garaged and windows tinted (not reason either). Just bad leather! They replaced the front and back seats but asked us to a small amount towards repair. Reluctantly we did. Well 2 years later, same thing happened to center console and both armrests and door panel. No longer in warranty so now Honda gets free advertisement every time the door is opened or someone sits in car. It is VERY noticeable. Until we get rid of this car,,,hopefully the beginning of the year, they will continue to get free advertisement of this poor quality leather (?).

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

May 212008

Accord EX-Navi 3.5L V6

When I pointed out front dealer seat wear less than 6 months after we purchased our top of the line 2008 Accord V6 EX-L, we were told it was "normal wear and tear." I finally gave up after reporting the increasing wear for three consecutive services; besides the brake and transmission problems were far more serious. Now, 4 1/2 years later, Honda has finally issued a service bulletin, 12-036, identifying the problem. According to the SB, this failure is eligible for good will (read no expense) consideration, so don't let dealer BS keep you from contacting Honda Customer Relations. OTOH, I must admit I'm dreading the hassle that will inevitably occur. I'll post an update of my experiences when the issue is (or is not) resolved.

- , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Nov 172011

Accord EX-L 2.4L

The leather arm rest cover is pulling away from base and leaving it with an air bubble. I don't understand how this happening because it doesn't show any signs of wear and is in a spot that doesn't get touched. Took it to the dealership and asked if they had seen it before and if it was covered under warranty. The service guy acted like it was no big deal and was not covered. Told me it would cost 300.00 to replace. With what, another cheap low quality honda part? No thanks, I'll find someone who makes a descent replacement part before putting factory honda parts back on this car! P.S. leather seats already showing wear signs as described by other owners.

- , Palm Harbor, FL, USA

May 012012

Accord EX-L V6

I have been watching the front seats darken in crevices and the armrest bubble up and dark lines appear in non wear areas of the leather seats, on the seat backs and bottoms. From what I have been reading from other posts, I can expect my seats to start cracking where the dark lines have been showing up the worst. This is a real eyesore and very embarrassing, when people get in my car. I love the car, except for the seats, which appear worse every passing day. The seats don't clean up at all and where I use the Resist-All cleaner, the top layer of leather wants to come off. The local dealer's estimate to replace the seat covers, on both front seats is $1,677.49. I own two Honda's at the moment, but will not buy another until this problem is resolved to my satisfaction. I am very angry about this and won't stop pursuing a solution to this problem.

- , Appleton, Wisconsin, USA

Mar 142012

Accord EX-L 2.4L I4

Leather of the driver and passenger seats started to deteriorate after two years of car ownership. Paint on the leather began to peel and crack and show very premature wear. This was especially noticeable since I have friends who drive the previous generation Accords (2005) and their vehicles show no wear in the leather upholstery.

I took the car into the dealership and let them know of the problem. They agreed to replace only the drivers side seat cushion leather upholstery although the same wear was evident on the back cushion of the same seat.

Unfortunately, now the leather of the center console armrest and driver's side door has began to bubble or already shred/tear. This cannot be remedied since the car is now out of warranty.

As far as I am concerned, Honda has been negligent and unresponsive about providing a permanent fix or recall for what is a pretty common issue for the 2008 Honda Accord. This vehicle was my first new car, and my first Honda. When making my purchase decision, Honda was my only choice because I believed in the reputation of the company and product. I can honestly say that I will not be purchasing another new Honda until this company has proven that it stands behind a quality product once again. I would advise anyone looking for a quality and reliable vehicle to search elsewhere. American Honda has made it very clear that they are no longer interested in the satisfaction of their customers or maintaining the reputation of what was once a great car company.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012010

Accord EX V6

The leather is low grade quality, arms and console leather bubble up and tears, I have brought this problem to my local honda dealer they replaced the arm and console twice, same problem, i returned my vehicle the third time was told the warranty had ran out i would have to pay out of pocket to fix problem , my feeling honda should honor their product if the leather is of poor quality they should bear the responsibility to fix the problem, what happen to standing behind your product?

- , Hinesville, GA, USA

Nov 192008

Accord EXL 4 cyl

My interior, my armrests, my center console have FAKE leather. I paid for 33,000.00 and some change for a car with leather. The items listed above were blown up like a giant baloon one morning when I went to my car while at work. Then, it happened a couple days later. Except, they popped leaving me with ruined interior. The dealer said Honda will NOT repair it. I would have to pay several hundred dollars to replace them. I cannot give pictures. My Honda is at the dealer again with no oil on the dipstick and a bad starter (due tp just now getting the VTC actuator replaced. Only, after my extended warrany went into effect.

- , Deer Park, TX, USA

Apr 062009

Accord EXL 3.5L

Purchased the 2008 Accord 3.5 EXL new. After 10K miles, noticed the leather seats (worst on driver side) started to wringle/dark lines/peeling. Now, the car is at 45K and I am planning on replacing the driver side seat or getting rid of the vehicle completely. If anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this problem, please reply.

Regards