CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2008 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 222016

Accord

Takata recall, we bought this car for over 16,000 at gormleys automotive. After getting it home there were certain repairs that we needed asap. The car was definitely in a previous accident as we could see when the paint chipped that there was the original Honda white underneath. The car has 3 recalls. Lights come on that do not make sense and even though we didn't receive a manual, I looked things up on the internet. The engine belt rumbles, the suspension is way off, the leather seats and sidearms have ripped because they were replaced by cheap parts. The car loan is for $331 monthly and still is owed a siginificant amount on. Steward financial harasses with phone calls if you are an hr late on a payment. Unacceptable. I am disabled and can barely make ends meet. I do not want to pay for a car that runs like a hoopdee when its supposed to run like a Honda. Turning it does not grab the road, stationary the engine rumbles. I am a female so I do not know to much about cars. What I do know is that I cannot afford to have repairs done on a car with such a large amount owed on it.

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Mar 212016

Accord

"takata recall" Honda usa does not honor the NHTSA 16V-056 (corrosion of the ECU unit) air bag recall. They said they would send a remedy letter in the fall of 2016. Never received the letter, and closed their recall campaign. They will not replace the ECU unit unless it's corroded to a point where a warning light comes on. The whole point of the NHTSA 16V-056 recall is to replace the ECU unit, so no corrosion will occur in the future. Honda usa refuses to replace the ECU unit. They bully their dealers not to replace it too. I have never encountered a business that is this deceiving in my life. I' M stuck without any pull or power to have them liable for this issue. Please, I beg you, please help me NHTSA! there was a litigation that was settled in the past regarding premature wear on the rear brakes. They just replaced one set of rear brakes per litigation, but the actual defect was never addressed and never fixed. The defect is in their braking system. I'm still driving with defective braking, with extremely high anxiety. Honda usa deceived NHTSA and the customers again. Seats are so uncomfortable, it detracts attention away from driving safely on the road.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Apr 252015

Accord

At a full stop passenger exited the vehicle and shut the passenger front door and the side curtain airbags and front passenger seat side airbag deployed. The force of the airbags being deployed also damaged the back passenger door weather strip that creates a seal when doors close. Headliner is damaged as well. Seat belt on front passenger side has been deployed and is non functioning.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Feb 132015

Accord 4-cyl

I visited the Honda dealership in sterling, va a couple of months ago and had to get my brakes replaced. At that time I asked if they could fix my back driver's seat..(my daughter who is 10 got into the car one day and kicked the back seat by accident with her foot and it fell) I was told they could fix it and they could do it that day because they had the plastic clips in stock but it would cost an additional $197 (I can't remember exact amount) but I told them I was paying a lot of money already for replacing my brakes and I couldn't afford right now and told them I would be back. The guys tried to get the clip to hold (and I was very thankful) but as soon as I pulled out of the dealership it fell again. I was very happy with the service and there was one man in particular who was very helpful and I wished I had his name to tell you. So, I had an apt today at 9:15 and got there at early at 8:50. The guy finally came back to me about 10:30 or so and said they couldn't fix the back seat because the way this was built wasn't done properly and these this will just keep breaking. He said I would have to replace the seat back and the cost would be $335 plus tax and shop supplies. Really" I said then why wasn't I told this when I was here a couple of weeks ago. Why do I have to pay for something that is a defect in the first place" he said sorry I just fix the cars I don't make them. He was very nice a polite but I don't feel I should have to pay for this at all. I asked him.... why didn't you tell me when I was here before and he replied because of my money restraints. That makes no sense!!! why before you can just replace the plastic clips and now all of the sudden you have to replace the whole back panel. I don't know what is going on but I would like for someone to call me and talk to me about this situation. I am not a happy customer.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jul 262013

Accord 4-cyl

During a monsoon the passenger door was open and slammed shut by the wind. The passenger side airbag deployed while the vehicle was parked and turned off. The deployed airbag damaged the headliner and seat and misc other parts.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jun 242014

Accord

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the cushion on the driver's side seat was worn where the metal frame could be felt. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Feb 012013

Accord 6-cyl

I have had it with this car. And I have had it with Honda. We purchased this car around February of 2013, and it didn't take me a week to start feeling this sharp pain in my back. It was at that time that I realized that the driver and passenger seat had both been manufactured in such a way that causes my back to feel extremely uncomfortable and painful. The only way I can describe the issue is that the seats have faulty lumbar support. Even when the lumbar support system is fully deflated, there is a massive lump at the bottom of the seat back that pushes my lower back outward, not allowing my upper back, neck and head to rest properly on the seat. It is to a point where driving is now getting more and more painful and it is affecting my daily drives. I find myself driving agitated, in pain and feeling like I'm in an extremely awkward position. It is even causing me pain even when not in the car now. It's getting out of hand. I've tried multiple seat cushions and seat adjustments. Nothing can fix this issue. It's uncomfortable, it's painful and it is dangerous. Honda of America has yet to offer me anything and are gladly pushing me around. I need out of this car, I need out of a Honda. This isn't the only issue I've taken up with corporate and received absolutely no type of assistance. I have lost complete confidence not only in my car, but in the Honda brand itself. I need help.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 172014

Accord 4-cyl

While driving, the side curtain airbag deployed with out there being any collision.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Apr 222014

Accord 4-cyl

While entering my vehicle all of the passenger side air bags deployed when the front passenger closed the front door. As a result my daughter received facial and ear injuries. My daughter was sitting in the back passenger seat. My car was started and in park. After this happened I researched on the internet and found dozens of other frightening incidents similar to mine reported involving 2008 Honda Accord. The next morning as soon as the dealership where I purchased the car opened I called the manager and was informed to immediately bring it in which I did. My daughter is experiencing headaches and ear ringing sensations. I have scheduled a doctor's appointment for her to be seen tomorrow morning.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Sep 012011

Accord 4-cyl

I had just returned from the store in my 2008 Honda Accord ex/L. I pulled into my driveway placed my car into park and exited the vehicle as I normally would. But to my surprise when I closed my door I heard a loud pop! I turned around and saw my car filled with dust I opened my door and realized my airbags have deployed. Both driver side curtain airbags and the driver's seat side impact airbags were deployed. I didn't "slam" the door or close it any harder then I normally do. I took it to the dealer where I had purchased the car from and he told me I had to of slammed my door for all of them to blow off like they did "they don't just blow off on their own" " you slammed your door" I know how I close my door. I take care of all of my belongings. Is what I replied with. The service writer told me I was looking at $6,000 to get them replaced. I don't have 6 grand sitting around so after many headaches and the dealer trying to scam my insurance company and getting mad that I tried to contact Honda directly to resolve my issue they finally fixed my car....(it took them 2 months) and cost me a lot of money. I was given no help from Honda even after I had found out that I was not the only person out there with this same exact problem. With that being said you'd think Honda would do something about this. Apparently taking care of customers and doing what's right has fallen low on the pole for Honda. I can promise I will never purchase a car from Honda ever again.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Nov 052012

Accord

This car has the worst seats I have ever sat in. I have owned the car just over a month and my back pain is so bad that I am being forced to sell it to save my back. Honda should be liable for the back problems caused by these seats.

- Provo, UT, USA

Jul 062011

Accord 6-cyl

The leather interior of armrest and door armrest are blistering. The armrest has split with no wear what so ever on both.

- Forestville, MD, USA

Apr 302008

Accord

Driver seat lumbard too high.. stick in center of back.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Jun 012009

Accord 4-cyl

When I test drove the vehicle, it seemed comfortable enough. It wasn't until a 3 hour road trip a few months later that I realized how uncomfortable the front seats are. With the non-adjustable forward angle of the head restraints, nothing from the middle of my back to the top of my head touched the seat. Over time, this resulted in chronic neck and upper back pain that I attempted to relieve with chiropractor and massage therapy, but the relief was always temporary. After owning the vehicle about 2 years, I got so frustrated that I pulled the headrests out, wrapped them in a blanket, and ran them over with my vehicle until the rods were flattened. Now the head restraints are vertical, a much more comfortable angle for my body. I no longer experience discomfort and chronic pain from driving my vehicle. The active restraint system still works perfectly. As I understand the new regulations regarding head restraints, a manufacturer must either use a fixed angle head restraint or an active system that moves the head restraining forward in a rear collision. I am not sure why Honda did both things. When I look at other new vehicles, the extreme forward angled head restraints are in every car I've seen and I will not purchase another vehicle with them. It should be possible to have both safety and comfort. I suggest revising the regulation to only active restraint systems or having fully adjustable head restraints and including information on proper adjustment. I believe there is no net benefit of these forward sloping head restraints. Any reduction in whiplash claims will probably be offset by a larger increase in therapy services and attempts to alter the head restraints. On several forums, people have indicated they turned the headrests backwards. In my car, that would have caused a dangerous backward angle offering no support to the head in the event of an accident. The active head restraint systems, on the other hand, are a good non-intrusive way to increase safety.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Apr 202011

Accord

2008 Honda seat has inadequate lumbar support.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jun 122010

Accord

2008 Honda Accord ex/4-door sedan/4-cylinder: Bought new car 03/09; at considerably less than 10,000 miles rear brakes wore out prematurely, thereafter front brakes also wore out. Had to pay for replacements due to american Honda motor Corp refusing to cover under warranty. They refuse any assistance or resolution.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Accord which was purchased brand new. He stated that both front seats bounced when they move back and forth. He felt that the seats were off track. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that they were aware of the failure and that they were working on a remedy. No repairs were made to date. The failure and current mileages were under 25,000. Updated 08/11/10. Updated 08/11/10

- Copage, NY, USA

May 032009

Accord

I have a 2008 Honda Accord I use for a 156 miles daily commute. At around 48,000 miles, part of the seat frame had cut through the padding and the seat cover. I noticed the edge was unfinished and rather sharp. I informed Honda customer service and they agreed to share the cost of correcting the defect and replacing the damage material. I am very concerned that this could be a safety hazard if the airbags are deployed.

- Brazil, IN, USA

Jul 062008

Accord

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Accord. After the contact entered the vehicle, the lumbar support pushed on her lower back in a very firm manner. It caused her legs to feel numb. She thought that she would get used to the issue; however, she did not. The contact had to visit the chiropractor because the seat threw her back out (direct relationship between the seat and her condition). She also felt that the driver's seat felt like wood or a bench, which made her uncomfortable. The contact consulted the dealer, but they referred her to the manufacturer. The manufacturer then referred her to NHTSA. The current mileage was approximately 420 and failure mileage was 10.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Accord

My complaint regards the design of the driver seat in my 2008 Honda Accord ex. The seat has what is called an "active head restraint" where the headrest is mechanically linked to a plate in the seat back. The plate in the seat back produces an excessive amount of lumbar support, even with the power lumbar control completely disengaged. In any seating position, the majority of the pressure is concentrated on my lower back. The other problem with the seat is the aggressive forward angle of the headrest. The headrest angle is not adjustable, and it forces my head to be positioned further forward than is comfortable, placing strain on my neck. This is an 8-way power seat, and I have had it in every possible position, but the combination of the lumbar plate and headrest angle produces discomfort and pain in my back, neck, and shoulders. I am fearful that the seat may cause permanent injury to my back and neck as I am experiencing the back and neck pain now even when I am not sitting in the car. The pain is affecting my sleep and posture throughout the day. I have never had back problems in my life before this. I had the dealer where I bought the car look at the seat and they told me that it was fine and felt normal. I have tried placing various pads on the seat back but that offers no relief.

- Mentor, OH, USA