CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2. replace the VTC (variable timing control) actuator (30 reports)
  3. replaced power steering pump (1 reports)
  4. replaced the starter (1 reports)
  5. starter replaced (1 reports)
  6. vtc actuator update (1 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 012014

Accord LX 2.4L V4

This has been a recurring problem with my Accord for some time. I was advised it was due to cold weather and to change to a full synthetic oil. Now that it is summer and 100 degrees, I took it upon myself to do some research and discovered this is a common issue among Accord owners. I took the vehicle to my local dealer and advised them to reference the TSB published regarding the VT actuator issue.

They charged me $77 to agree with me and then quoted $950 to replace the defective part. The grinding noise is severe but now the car is out of warranty so I just tell everyone who notices the noise not to buy a Honda.

- , garland, TX, USA

Feb 172015

Accord LX 2.4L

Not sure what are the consequences of not getting this fixed as I had this problem for a few years and never got it fixed thinking it was just a cold start issue and not associated with a manufacturing defect. I hope Honda comes out and recalls the car based on this issue.

- , Round Lake, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Accord EX-L V4

Started having this for past couple of months. It started with oil light flashing frequently and followed by a grinding noise at cold start and during low RPMs. Gave it to honda dealer and he changed oil. Problem did not occur for couple of days and resurfaced. From last week, got an engine light too with code P2651. It's very annoying with the noise and engine light with just an average of 6,500 miles per year. When I bought 2008 accord for new back when it was released, I was so happy with the newly redesigned exterior and interior and was proud of buying accord. But not any more. 2008 accord is just behind beating 2003 model for becoming Honda's worst model. Premature break pad replacement and now this problem..who knows how many more issues are hiding behind.

Update from Feb 13, 2015: Update 2/13/2015 Dropped off at the same Honda dealer for check engine light diagnosis and the grinding noise. My oil percentage was showing as 60% remaining in the maintenance minder system. Dealer confirmed that it's the excessive oil consumption problem which is the root cause for all the issues I'm seeing (flashing oil light, grinding noise and check engine light). Paid $48 for the diagnosis. They changed the oil and putting it through oil consumption test. They have asked me to come back after 1,000 miles and change the oil again (I guess they said free of charge). They may repeat the same procedure in another 1,000 miles and then contact Honda. With so many complaints from all the 2008 V4 owners, I don't know why Honda is acknowledging this problem and release a service bulletin or free replacement of the troubled parts. This is very frustrating given and I am very unhappy with Honda's customer service.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Feb 052014

Accord LX 2.4L

When I start the car in the morning it makes a grinding noise.

- , Wixom, MI, USA

Apr 132014

Accord LX-P 2.4L

Started in the winter and I assumed it was because it was cold outside, but summer is almost over and it still happens. My car works perfectly fine, but I need to get it checked out soon. I know this issue isn't a recall, but I wish it was since it seems to be a common issue. Mileage when it started was around 90,000.

- , Fort Washington, MD, USA

Jun 012014

Accord LX 4 cyl

Called the honda tech and he said..standard problem but not covered. Would be 600 to fix it. Got my mechanic to work on it and he found out I needed special low E accentuator cost for the part was 450 instead of the 100 for the standard part. Bummer..tried to fix it by cleaning etc. but only lasted a few days then started up worse. Had to pay for the "special" part.

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

The cost was so low because they already had the engine open to repair for the massive oil loss problem

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 142012

Accord LX-P 4c

I can't believe Honda did not issue a recall over this. Honda even acknowledged there was a problem with the part and offered no help for their customers. I have been driving Honda's for over 12 years now and never experienced such poor customer service..... I was planning on driving this one until the wheels fall off but I don't know if I want to pay an extra 600 bucks every 10K miles replacing the actuator.

- , Athens, Al, USA

Nov 052012

Accord LXP 1.6L

My Accord started having the typical engine start VTC noise as described in TSB 09-010 over a year ago while I was still under warranty (60K drive train). Honda and at two other non-Honda service repair companies were never able to reproduce the noise. I finally got Honda today to reproduce it. My mileage is now over 70k and out of warranty. Honda is going to fix it under goodwill warranty where they pay half and I pay half. Total bill $800, my part will be about $400. I hope to get it back tonight.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 132013

Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L

My 08 Accord started making this loud grinding noise on cold starts and started to become more excessive during the winter months. It was confirmed that the VTC Actuator was the problem and i contacted Honda America for a solution and assistance but they denied any goodwill service because of the age and miles on my car eventhou its a common problem with every 2008 Accord 2.4l Kseries engine. Honda should of had a recall on this, My dealer was generous enough to work with me and offer a discount on the labor i payed $459 for the replacement Honda needs to stop cutting back on quality and start and start manufacturing your cars in Japan where they belong..

- , Livingston, NJ, USA

Dec 072013

Accord 2.4L

This is the SECOND TIME for this problem. The first was at 26,000 miles and covered under warranty. Now the car is out of warranty ,Honda WILL NOT HONOR THE GOODWILL CONSIDERATION in the service bulletin 09-010. They want $663.00 to fix it and will not give a warranty on the part. Had other problems also, REAR BRAKES,TIMING,TRANS.

This was my second new Honda, NEVER NEVER BUY HONDA CRAP AGAIN. I will trade in for a new ford

- , Pahrump, NV, USA

Nov 182013

Accord 4cycl

This is the 3rd starter I have put in this vehicle. Each time it has had a different issue. sometimes it would drag starting and the next time it would grind.

- , West Rutland, VT, USA

Oct 232013

Accord LX-P 2.4L I4

I bought this car certified used with 58,000 miles on it. In the last 2 years I have heard this rattling or grinding noise in cold start situations, happens about 10 times. Earlier this week it began to occur every time the car is started after sitting for several hours. This is annoying, but even more of a concern is potential engine damage caused if this part fails completely.

The local Honda dealership has done all the service on this car and since I drive 30,000 miles a year I take it in for oil changes and other scheduled maintenance every 5,000 miles. It has used oil at a rate of about 1 quart per 5,000 miles and the oil level is checked every couple of weeks. I just got off the phone with the service tech and he informed me that the repair would cost about $750 which is twice the expected cost. I asked him about any goodwill from Honda in picking up all or part of the tab. He said he would refer the matter to his supervisor.

The bottom line is that I bought this car because my previous 2006 Accord was an exceptionally good car. At 110,000 miles a drunk driver ran a red light and T-boned this car at ~45 mph. The impact totaled the car, but both occupants walked away with 1 having only a broken thumb. We owe our lives to this car.

If Honda doesn't in good faith agree to pay for at least half the cost to replace the VTC actuator I will most likely never buy another Honda.

- , Concord, CA, USA

Jun 242012

My car is a Honda Accord 2008. The car makes a grinding noise when starting. I took it to the dealer in Montclair, CA. The maintenance specialist knew what the problem was, because I am not the first one with this complain, but he just played dumb; and he asked to leave the car overnight. I did not leave the car because I need it to go to work. I bought this piece of crap because of the Honda reputation, but I am really disappointed of the Hondas now. This car has given me too many problems; this is my first and last Honda. The quality of Honda has deteriorated. Hondas are not longer good as people used to claim.

- , Duarte, CA, USA

Aug 082008

Accord EX L

This was my first foreign car purchased brand new in 2008. My other choice was a Ford Fusion and boy I wished I had kept with the Fords. I have never had major or annoying car trouble with Fords. The cold start on my car made grinding noises about a month after I purchased it. Then, it would do it here and there and now in 2012 it does it every morning and I bought the extended warranty because no one I know could work on it and the grinding is awful. Took it in today to Honda dealer in MN and have to leave it overnight because, of course, it only does it in the AM mostly. I told him what the problem was from reading this website and he still insisted it stay overnight. He did generously offer to give my husband a ride home. I will report back that it is the VTC actuator.

- , Hudson, WI, canada

Jul 252013

Accord EXL 4 cyl

My gripe for this is how come there are so many complaints for this item and all Honda can do is issue a Service Bulletin. I had to pay my deductible for my extended warranty and it should be a recall!!!!!!!!! Hopefully is they ever recall it I can get my money back for having it replaced already.

- , Sheridan, AR, USA

Oct 182010

Accord EX 2.4L

The grinding noise first occurred in October 2010 and started again in feb 2013 (roughly 35000 miles since the first repair). It was replaced in 2010 under the warranty. I have taken my car to two honda dealerships and left it overnight at one and two nights at another. Of course the car does not repeat the noise but as soon as I get it home it happens. Since June 1st it has been happening everyday and of course now my extended warranty will expire soon.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 022011

Accord EX

I took my car to Avery Green Honda in Vallejo CA It took me complaining for months before they figured out the problem. The problem was to be the VTC actuator,T-chain, V cover gasket which they repaired at that time under warranty. Less than a year later the grinding cold start started again I immediately called Avery Green and complained they said it was nothing that they did and sent me on my way. As the problem continued I continued to complain. finally talking with the management several times I was there recently and they said its the powers steering pump and it will cost me $600.00. I know this is false and I have no problems with my steering what so ever! I took my car to a automotive repair shop and they said it is not the power steering pump. I called Avery Green and spoke to the General manager and told him about how their shop told me false information. he states to me what do u want me to do?, I was shocked and said I will post on yelp, face book and the better business bureau. he was so rude and told me, I cant touch him he doesn't care, they can't do anything to him then he hung up. After doing some research on-line I see other problems with this actuator. I would some some help and advice on what to do.

- , Vallejo, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Accord LX-P 2.4L

Engine rattles at cold start every time. Honda should call for a recall on this VTC actuator . Every single one has the same problem and they never didi anything about it. COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN this is not right.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 122011

Accord LX 4c

Still having this looked at by Honda. Will have more info soon.

- , San Jose, CA, USA