Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2008 Honda Accord miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 122016

Vtc actuator car makes rattling noise at start-up and at other times.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 182016

Experiencing excessive oil consumption, per Honda recall, it is due to piston O rings leaking oil into chamber causing excessive oil burning and causing engine knocks once the oil was consumed within less than 3 months.

- Westmont, IL, USA

Jul 012016

While sitting in the car the interior sun visor mounting unexpectedly came loose and the visor suddenly dropped. Had this happened while the vehicle was under way this could have caused an accident. I understand that this was a problem on some Toyota vehicles and several other Honda owners have experienced similar issues.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 102016

The door panels of all Accord ive noticed the inside door panels peels very bad. I took my car to maaco and he said he have seen quite a few like that. It cost me $572 to repair it with real leather. And the leather seats peels also. I have always kept my cars up inside and upsets me so much because these cars are so pretty and easy to maintain as far as maintanence

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 072015

I began hearing a disturbing mechanical rattle on cold starts and started to become more excessive during the winter months. It was confirmed that the vtc actuator was the problem and I contacted Honda America for a solution and assistance but they denied any goodwill service because of the age and miles on my car even thou its a common problem with every 2008 Accord 2.4L kseries engine. My 2003 Accord, sounds much better at start up than my 2008. Kind of sad since it's over 200,000 miles now. The grinding sounds so bad it has to be damaging to something in the engine. With so many complaints from all the 2008 V4 owners, I don't know why Honda is acknowledging this problem and release a service bulletin but not a free replacement of the troubled parts. This is very frustrating given and I am very unhappy with Honda's customer service. After speaking with casy with american Honda this morning, he stated that a recall has not been made because it has not caused an immediate harm to consumers. So, if I understand him correctly, harm to a consumer has to happen before something is done to a known problem"??"

- Antioch, TN, USA

Apr 142016

Takata recall as part of the airbag think my car is one of the recalls Honda garage in greenfield mass. Could not tell me. Also brought my car today to have it test drive because feel like the front in has problems with noise an vibration feeling they test drove it said looked at it in the garage an told me it looked fine I just dont feel like it drives like it did before just want to send this as back up because if it brakes or ends up back in want to make it known an worried about the airbags.

- Charlemont, MA, USA

Feb 042016

Door locks and key fob do not work correctly. Batteries have been replaced 4 times. Honda supplied batteries leaked. I've been locked inside my car. Door does not unlock when car stops and engine off. Must use toggle, sometimes key fob to open frcar locks from inside and cannot get out om inside. Works correctly sporadically.,had to use key in lock, not fob, today when getting into car. Trunk opens sporadically when using fob. Must hit buttons many times before fob responds. Bad back cannot bend to hit floor lever to open trunk.this happens when car still, all kinds of weather.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 182014

Air bag light stays on. Light will not reset. SRS unit failure. Replaced SRS unit.

- Tpa, FL, USA

Jul 192015

I purchased new tires about a year ago. Tires had less than 30,000 on them. Back tires still had 90% tread but getting a vibration. Took car to the body shop and was told that the rear end of my vehicle was badly out of alignment.. I could see it with my naked eyes. The problem is that the rear tires can not be aligned. There is no way to adjust the camber on the back tires, so no matter what you will always have vibration and alway unevenly where your tires. Only way I can see to fix this, is to install adjustable cambers, but if this is a desig flaw and Honda already acknowledged it with a service bulletin addressing there Honda civics, then why should I have to pay for the fix. I am totally disgusted with Honda.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Jul 182015

Oil low at oil change.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Jul 132015

I was driving on the interstate and heard a loud sound and saw that the sunroof/moonroof glass exploded. Nothing hit it. No one was driving in front of me. I know it exploded because it puckered out almost in a volcano shape. Glass was everywhere.

- Diberville, MS, USA

Jun 012015

My model year 2008 Accord coupe ex model has been burning oil for a long time. A few years ago I had the tsb completed on it that reprogrammed the computer and was supposed to fix the issue. As of now the car is still burning oil and has developed a new problem. My check engine light is on with error code P0341 which is for the cam position sensor. This is with combination of a loud rattle for a few seconds coming from the engine bay when the car is first started. I am concerned to drive the car and hope that Honda could diagnose and fix this problem for me. I believe Honda extended the engine warranty to 8 years and 125,000 miles.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Accord 6-cyl

The car jerks into gears especially 2nd!

- Newakr , NJ, USA

Jul 262011

Accord 6-cyl

Rear brake pads completely worn on 2008 Honda Accord.

- Durham, NC, USA

Sep 012008

This vehicle's headlights drop in intensity approximately every 20 seconds. It does not matter if you are idling or going 70 mph. This causes an unsafe loss of lighting and forward vision while utilizing the headlights during night time driving. It also appears to other drivers as if you are flashing your lights at them. I have numerous Honda vehicles and none of them do this. I have been told by the dealer that this is a normal function of the lights. I do not notice it when the bright lights are on. The decrease in light intensity is consistent when the radiator fan kicks on, drawing power.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Mar 282011

Accord 4-cyl

I have Honda Accord 2008 and this are 2nd recall from american Honda motor co. I had first recall was rear brake pad problem and didn`T qualified get refund fixed problem. And, now I have 2nd recall notice from american Honda motor co.,there are nose mask problem.since I had 1st recall that may have take care of matter from Honda co. I was very disappointed.I will never buy Honda car in my future and my entire family and freinds all I refer my people.that's all I have say and even I have warranty on my car I will not fix it.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jun 122010

2008 Honda Accord ex/4-door sedan/4-cylinder: Bought new car 03/09; at considerably less than 10,000 miles rear brakes wore out prematurely, thereafter front brakes also wore out. Had to pay for replacements due to american Honda motor Corp refusing to cover under warranty. They refuse any assistance or resolution.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 042010

2008 Honda Accord - 4 door: At approximately 7:47 am on Friday, June 4, 2010, I was turning into a parking space in an open air lot, with the wheel turned hard to the left, I went to put my foot on the brake and the car lurched forward as if I was pressing on the accelerator. I could not figure out what was happening and when I looked down at my foot, it was on the left side of the brake pedal. Even slamming down on the brake did not prevent me from smashing into the Nissan xterra in the parking spot in front of mine and pushing the SUV forward quite a bit. There was no floor mat issue obstructing the accelerator, it was several inches away in its usual position. Hopefully, this will be the only failure. I called the police who filed a report. My insurance company told me to get an appraisal of the damage. No one was in the Nissan, but damage was done to his vehicle as well. Luckily no one was injured.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Aug 012009

I purchased a brand new 2008 Honda Accord ex 2.4L in may of 2008. Since then I have had numerous brake problems including early wear of the rear brake pads and warping of the rotors(starting at about 19,000 miles). My vehicle currently has 35,000 miles and under normal circumstances I do not believe that brake pads or rotors should deteriorate at such low miles. According to the 2008 Honda Accord rear brake pad settlement, I believe that all brake related problems such as rotor warp should be included as well. The rotor warp causes the steering while/car to shake while applying the brakes and causes excessive noise and instability in braking when braking on a decline (ie. Hill or mountain).

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Apr 012009

2008 Honda Accord ex with a couple issues. One issue is water setting around the door seals when it rains and there are water stains. Paint seems to scratch easily.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA