CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.7

1. replace brakes (130 reports)
  2. let's all complaint to the top! (24 reports)
  4. class action suit (15 reports)
  5. dealer fixed free of charge (13 reports)
  6. replace brakes & rotors (12 reports)
2009 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Jun 122012

Accord LX V6

I just find it outrageous that they are aware of a back brake deficiency and won't pay to have them fixed. I'm a senior that bought what I thought was a reliable car overall. The high cost of replacing the brakes is a hardship that I genuinely resent.

- , Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Apr 052012

Accord

With just under 19,000 miles on my 2009 Honda Accord, I was perplexed at the metal on metal sound I was hearing and then smelling. I was told I need to have the works done on the rear brakes to the tune of $500+. Needless to say I was beside myself, how could this be? Makes no sense to me at all especially since this car traveled cross country so you can hardly count 3,000 miles of the 19. Further to that, I have a manual transmission and often downshift to slow down so what is up with this. Initially called the dealer and was told that it sounds about right for the timing and that brakes are replaced as early as 8,000 miles. Seriously??? I worked for Honda Service many years ago and have owned Hondas so I have no idea who this guy thought he was fooling. For the hell of it I Binged Honda brakes and HELLO! I have called the dealer back and expressed my complete and utter disgust that they tried to tell me this is normal and did not even have the decency to tell me about the class action. I am not satisfied with the prospect of being out of pocket $450 and, after seeing how other dealers have replaced the brakes in good faith, will not back down until Honda rights their wrong. My lease is up in June and if I have to return it to them with the original faulty brakes that will be their call. Good luck for trying to charge me a fee on this. I will use my other car which has twice as many miles and the brakes are not even close to being an issue. I have always loved Honda. I have recommended Honda after Honda and now, well like everyone else... Good Bye Honda from me and anyone who will listen. What a shame. And how dumb on their part. DUMB

- , New York, NY, USA

Apr 042012

Accord EX 4

I do not have the time yell!

Rear brake failure like everybody.

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 302012

Accord LX

Car is still under 3 yr warranty, and the brake problem is a know DEFECT! Why should I have to pay ANYTHING to have it fixed? I can file for a $150.00 settlement which I shouldn't have to file just to get a VERY small part of my money back. Since I am now required paperwork to get any money back, I will do my homework. I will make sure my attorney general, automobile associate, and Honda directly all look into my complaint. How is this not covered under either the lemon law or normal warranty? If I don't get all of my money back I will never buy a Honda again, Nor will anyone I can bad mouth this company too.

- , Chepachet, RI, USA

Feb 282012

Accord LX

I have 2009 Honda Accord and had to replace the rear brake pads prematurely which cost me upwards of $200 for the same. Apparently, this is a manufacturing defect and there are lots of complaints on the internet for the same. I believe Honda should have voluntarily recalled and rectified this problem free of cost to the owners.

I bought a Honda for the quality and I am terribly disappointed with Honda, right now. I am going to try and reach out to them to see if they are going to reimburse me for the repairs. If not, then this is going to be my first and last Honda!! Toyota, here I come!!

- , Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Mar 212012

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

We have a 2009 Honda Accord and just replaced the rear pads and rotors for the second time at 41,646 miles also had to replace the rear calipers this time due to them wearing unevenly. The pads and rotors were under warranty, but the calipers and labor were not, at a cost of $430. Clearly after reading all the complaints Honda has not handled this problem well at all. Not a good way to keep customers and certainly not a good way to keep a "good" reputation. This was our first and last Honda. I have never had a car that had issues like this so early in it's life. Very worried about how this is going to go from here on.

- , Billerica, MA, USA

Mar 202012

Accord LX

I had the rear brake pads on my Honda accord changed back in May 2010 when I had 9807 miles on my car!!!! Yeah, that's right less than 10,000 miles! CRAZY! So at the time Honda was covering the replacement of the rear brake pads because of a class action law suit. Got my brakes changed for free (which it what I would expect) and I thought, cool, I will be good for a while So I go into the Honda Service Center I usually go to in March 2012 and I get told that my rear brake pads needed to be changed..... WHAT???? AGAIN??? I have driven less than 20,000 miles since they changed them in May 2010 and here I am being told that I have to replace them again. I am livid! I mean REALLY!!! rear brake pads that can last more than 19,000 miles???!!!! That's ridiculous! Honda needs to SERIOUSLY revisit the 2009 Accord model and come up with a much better solution than add a spring to make them last 19,000 miles instead of 9,000 I have owed several other car brands and have NEVER had to change the rear brake pads this often. Honda needs to change the whole entire braking system on the 2009 Accords so that us owners don't have to have the rear brake pads changed every 19,000 miles.

- , Lawndale, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Accord LX 2.4L

Breaks on the NEW Honda(11-2009) Accord went bad BEFORE 45000. Should have taken it back sooner-but I thought it was the road and the steep hill. Had to replace the entire break system with Pads&Caps&Roters.

Steering wheel jump and shack as you apply the brakes. Down deep hills was the worse! Birmingham has VERY Steep Down Hill roads. Rear Brakes were covered but F/Breaks were not. Weak and poor break pad equipment!. Above all the breaks are starting the same jump with less than 60,000. Pads have less than 20,000 miles. I WILL Film it this time!!!!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 152012

Accord EX 4 cyl

I can not believe HONDA reputation to build a car that at19000 miles I have to replace rear brake pads.I owned so many cars, foreign and domestic,never had to replace specially the rear brakes so soon.Are this pads made out of cardboard?

- , Paramus, NJ, USA

Mar 072012

Accord

Honda Accord rear brakes are still defective. Honda does not care about their owner safety or the safety of other drivers. If you have had to replace your brakes 2 or more times I urge you to contact the attorney who handles the original class action lawsuit. Honda needs to take responsibility for their poor quality brakes that creates hazardous conditions to all drivers. I will never again own any Honda product.

GIRARD GIBBS LLP c/o Eric H. Gibbs 601 California Street, 14th Floor San Francisco, CA 94108 1-866-981-4800 www.GirardGibbs.com/HondaBrakes.asp www.GirardGibbs.com

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Mar 132012

Accord

Why can't Honda rework the design, and fix the problem as a recall. $125.00, back of a $275.00 repair. Dealer didn't have any more of the new pad to replace old. So I will have to have it replace again in a few months. What a load of crap last Honda I buy.

- , Watertown, NY, USA

Feb 062012

Accord LX V6

The front brakes have 3/4 life left but the rear was totally gone. About 15,000 miles out of 48,000 were on the highway with little or no brake use. Front brakes are expected to wear out first on front wheel drive due to most of the weight on the front according to my mechanic.

- , Foxboro, MA, USA

Dec 052011

Accord Sedan 4 Cilindr

I find that my 2009 Honda Accord with low mileage has to have the rear break PADS replaced twice which the 1st time in late 2010 the Honda Accord mileage was at 12,828. and do to a re call i took it in by then the 2nd time12/2011 at a oil change at the dealership at 29,573 miles again was told i needed the rear break PADS (again) i had no other choice then to replace them. i never thought i would be going thru this with what i thought was a reliable /dependable vehicle

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 012012

Accord LX V6

Get car serviced regularly...brake pads are worn completely down

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 022012

Accord LX

why can't the dealer just fix the problem and send to honda, no we have to pay for repair and honda may or may not reimburst or not so to -ell with honda and here i come toyota when i buy a new or used vehichle

- , sylacauga, alabama, USA

Jan 302012

Accord EXL V6

Can't believe that I got duped! The first Honda that I owned also had to have the rear brakes fixed at around 20,000 miles. Had I realized that this was an ongoing problem I never would have bought another one. I feel having to put over $400.00 plus tax on new brakes on a car that only had 20,085 miles on it was way out of line. I am asking you for a refund for the amount of the brakes since Honda knew that this problem existed even before I bought the car. I also think that the better business bureau should be notified of this ongoing problem. I will be looking forward to your prompt attention & looking forward to seeing a refund sent to me!!

- , Syracuse, NY, USA

Jan 262012

Accord

Very Disappointed with Honda and Luther Hopkins Dealership. Needed rear brakes replaced at 24K. Front were perfectly fine. Outer Pad (still good). Honda will pay $150 because of the class action but will not own up to the problem completely and do a recall. Will expect to need to replace the rear brakes again soon. Will never buy Honda again.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 312012

Accord 2.4L

We got a 2009 honda accord at 28,691 miles w/ premature pads worn down to the metal that ruined 1-rotor.The caliper 's are defective and they know it yet they do not want it said as to not add a recall to all cars that have this problem. Some one is going to be injured or even dead if honda does nothing to fix this situation.Honda is playing Russian roulette w/ the public's lives.I'm going to sell this P.O.S.

- , Kingsburg, CA, USA

Dec 142011

Accord LX V4

The rear brake pads were on my 2009 Honda Accord replaced free of charge by the dealer about two years ago. The pad wore out again at at approximately 50,000 miles. This means the pads wear out on average every 25k miles. This time, I replaced it myself using the upgraded brake kit, Part # 43022-TA0-A40. Note that this part is the recommended replacement for Part# 3022-TA0-A00, -A51, and -A70. The brake pad kit cost me about $85 plus tax.

What is different about the new kit? Visually I did not see any difference between the old and the new brake pads except that the new kit contains a spring for each pair of pads. The spring pushes the pads away from the disc, when it is installed. My old brake pads did not have springs. Hopefully the spring would help.

The new brake kit contains installation instruction that instructs to swap the brake caliper slide pin locations. It does not explain why. I installed the new pads according to the instruction. The spring is shown to be installed on the bottom holes located on the pads and the spring should be oriented such that it forms an inverted vee shape (the vertex pointed up)

Well, I will wait and see how the new brake pads will fare in the coming months. It will be a shame if it wears out again after another 20 to 25k miles.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 032010

Accord

Purchased our Accord brand new and found out there was a brake recall. Now we are told we need another set of brakes which will be the 3rd set in less than 55 000km. How is this right.....We purchased a Honda because we thought they were a great car. Honda knows that the brakes are made out of a cheap material but they still expect the consumer to replace the brakes with their own money. What a total rip off.

- , Whitby, ON, canada