CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

1. replace brakes (135 reports)
  2. let's all complaint to the top! (24 reports)
  4. replace brakes & rotors (17 reports)
  5. class action suit (15 reports)
  6. dealer fixed free of charge (13 reports)
2009 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Apr 012013

I brought my car in for a state inspection to the dealer I purchased it from. (First inspection after purchase is free). During the inspection they informed me that the rear brakes were worn down, and the rotors needed turning, but they would cover it as part of the extended warrantee. It has been 19,000 miles since I bought the car and they told me they replaced the rear brakes just prior to my purchase, because it was to be a "certified" used car. I did hear grinding of the brakes a few times when the car was cold but it went away the 2 or 3 times I heard it, so I assumed it was just debris, that worked its way out. I have purchased 2 used cars in 8 months from this dealership, and my mother in law also purchased 1 new and 1 used car from them. We both totaled the first cars we bought. The dealership in question is Friendly Honda in Poughkeepsie NY. I think so far the dealership has done the right thing by me. (So far).

- , Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Feb 252013

Accord LX

I bought my 2009 Honda Accord in June 2012, from an honest, private owner who owned it for a year and was moving out of state. He told me the dealer said it was flat spots on the tires that were making the noise. He had replaced the brakes before I bought it.

I put new tires on the car in November and was told that the rotors were warped and should be replaced. I took it back (an honest mechanic) in February because it smelled like something was burning and a loud grinding sound every time I used the brakes. The brakes that were marked brand new for inspection in November, were ground down thin and the caliper was sticking. I was told when it was put up on the lift and running, that the brakes glowed, that it was that hot.

I put on new brakes, new routers, caliper and the car is now doing the same thing. It vibrates the floor when driving on the highway.

This problem should have been fixed before it was resold by the dealer. I have put a lot of money into the car and still have the same problem. Honda should be paying to fix it and reimbursing me for what I spent.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Apr 292013

Accord LX 4.0L

I am astounded that my 2009 Honda Accord has to have the rear brakes replaced when there is less than 34,000 miles on it. I've had many other cars and have not had a problem like this. It's obvious Honda has a problem they need to address. I have no choice but to have the brakes repaired.

- , Scarborough, ME, USA

Nov 052012

Accord EX 2.4L V4

Why not everyone has the sane problem speak out to push for a class action?

- , Lumberton, NJ, USA

Dec 312012

Accord EX V6

Rear brakes wore way too quickly. Had to get replaced at 26K miles.

- , Monroe, WI, USA

Jan 022013

Accord LX 2.4L

Brakes are worn out and we have only 39000 miles on the car!!, They should last way longer than this!! Of course we are 3000 miles over warranty and Honda knows this is a problem and will not do anything to help us on this!!! I BUY A NEWER CAR AND STILL HAVE TO FIX ISSUES!!!

- , Letts, IA, USA

Nov 062012

Accord 4 cyl

I should not be replacing rear brakes with only 33000 miles on the car. The front brakes had been repaired with less than 10000 because of a bulletin. This is ridiculous. I had a camry with 60000 and never had brake problems. I caught the problem before the rotors went thank goodness.

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Jun 042011

Accord LX-P 2.4L

This is a problem for sure. Lucky I found out about the problem early, was able to temporary address it and not have it became a safety issue. I would not want to find out what could of happened while traveling at highway speed with defective brakes, and needed to stop quickly.

I am sure some less knowledgeable owners are no so lucky.

Update from Jul 5, 2015: Good News, I replaced the defected rear brake pads with new updated/improved part# (at 21k miles), and just checked all four at 60k miles, and they look like new...minimal wear. They need to do the same with that VTC Actuator problem, more money out of my packet.

- , San Lorenzo, CA, USA

Dec 142012

This problem was first addressed at 31,000 miles and now it is back again at 61,000. The dealer was not forthcoming that there was an issue with the brakes. I have submitted the first claim and am annoyed that it appears it will be an ongoing issue.

- , Center Conway, NH, USA

Dec 122012

Accord LX 3.2L

I will never ever buy another Honda. I have had nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it. I read where many people were complaining because they had 30,000. miles on their car and had to replace the rear brakes. Well - I only had 13,000 miles on my car and you guessed it - I had to already replace the breaks. I called Honda and they did not want to listen to me even though there is a class action suit against them. Next time I will buy a Ford as I am soooo unhappy with Honda. I asked the service person if they read the complaints about them and they responded No. Well maybe they should start. Do Not Buy A Honda.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 272012

Accord ES 2.4L

Rear brakes should not wear out on a new vehicle that is only 3 years old and only has 30000 miles!

- , Kaysville, UT, USA

Aug 182012

Accord V6

This complaint is regarding my 2009 Honda Accord and the fact that Alberta Honda charged me $328.27 to fix Faulty Rear Brakes that should have at the very least been partially covered under the existing warranty.

Here is a link to an article that talks about the Honda Rear Brake problem: http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/premature-brake-wear.shtml

I had this same problem with the rear brakes on my 2009 Honda Accord. However, I was not told that this was an on-going issue with Honda, and even after I brought it to the attention of Alberta Honda, they shrugged me off. After a 20 minute meeting with the Service Manager DAVID ELGIE on August 20th, who was very much aware of all the rear brake issues on many Honda's, I was told I had to deal with Honda Canada. Even after I told him they had totally put me on ignore he was very clear in saying, in order to get my car back I had to pay the full price for the repair of $328.27, plus the original oil change, which came to a total of $576.55, including tax.

And there's more. It turns out Millwoods Honda had the car in for brake repairs in May of 2009, as I have a receipt given to me by the previous owner. The receipt clearly shows that they fixed the front brakes by installing new Brake Pads and V-Springs, but did absolutely nothing to the rear brakes, which should have clearly showed excessive brake pad wear at the time with 9736 Kms on the vehicle. Furthermore, Honda dealerships all across Canada have been aware of this problem since 2008 and to this day they are not telling any customers about the manufacturer's defect involving Brake Pads (and sticky V-Springs and Caliper Pin Bolt, according to Service Manager DAVID ELGIE, but rather charging them $300 to $400 dollars for the repair, and $600 more plus labour costs if the rotors have to be replaced!

Below is a copy of the email I sent to Honda Canada on August 18, 2012, which received no reply.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Today I took my 2009 Honda Accord into Alberta Honda for the first Oil Change A12 at 46K Km. During this time I was told that my rear brake pads were almost worn to the rotors and that I had to replace them immediately for another $320 plus parts, etc. I thought it was very strange to have excessive rear pad wear on a front-wheel drive car. I found that these cars have defective parts in that regard and that Honda agreed in a (US) class action suit to pay $150.00 for the repair. I want to know how to go about collecting this money, which will help off-set my expenses for something that I feel should have been completely covered under warranty for defective parts.

After getting no response I sent 2 more emails, which made a Honda Canada rep named Jean call me on August 23rd, asking me to fax him a copy of my receipt. I immediately did this within minutes including a cover letter, but to this day there has been no further response, even after I faxed the same person a Follow-up Request on September 3rd, 2012. At this point Honda Canada and Alberta Honda have both put me on total ignore.

In order to resolve this complaint I feel I should be compensated for half of the total repair ($164.14).

- , Edmonton, AB, canada

Aug 072012

Accord LX 4 cyl

I am so upset because I Referred three people to buy 2009 Accords and they have faulty brakes. My belief is you reap what you sow. For Honda to say they have new brake pads now that wear better, guess what!!!! I got 6000 extra miles out of these brakes, plus the price increased from $142 to $160. Not nice. I can't afford to replace brakes and I am ashamed to sell the car because I actually have a conscience. My NEW DESIGNED brakes lasted 35,000 miles. I hate this car. Honda needs to step up and be right or their future will look bleak.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 242012

Accord LX 3.2L

Every since I first bought my honda accord I haven't felt like the brakes performed as they should but I never complained thinking that I needed to get use to my new car. I have always been able to hear a noise but kept thinking that it was maybe road noise. Then one day as I was driving away from talking to my niece she stopped me and said Aunt Sherle your car sure makes a lot of noise. It sounds like its coming from your brakes. I paid close attention after that and realized it sound like steel against steel. I called Honda because I only had a little over 17,000 miles on my Honda. I told the girl I spoke with what was going on and asked her if brakes were covered under my warranty. She informed me that no that was regular wear and tear. So rather than driving all the way over to Honda I took it to my local mechanic who replaced the brake pads and the rotors. He said the rotors were warped and showed them to me. It cost me almost $300. in brake repair that day. I knew yes I knew I should have stayed with Toyota.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 012012

I can't believe my Honda Accord is a 2009 with 30,000 mils. We have only had it for three years. Just all of a sudden there is a grinding noise in the rear sounds like brakes. It just came all of a sudden. What is up with that? I know I am going to have to fix this, but why is this happening just all of a sudden? Isn't kind of early for your brakes to go out. I am really upset, and if the dealer doesn't help us out on this one, I will never by a Honda again. Most of the miles are Highway miles.

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Jun 012012

Accord 4.0L

My rear brakes are completely worn out and discs are worn out as well before 20K! This should not be happening to a car that has only 20K miles!!!

- , Evanston, IL., USA

Jun 122012

Accord LX V6

I just find it outrageous that they are aware of a back brake deficiency and won't pay to have them fixed. I'm a senior that bought what I thought was a reliable car overall. The high cost of replacing the brakes is a hardship that I genuinely resent.

- , Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Apr 052012

With just under 19,000 miles on my 2009 Honda Accord, I was perplexed at the metal on metal sound I was hearing and then smelling. I was told I need to have the works done on the rear brakes to the tune of $500+. Needless to say I was beside myself, how could this be? Makes no sense to me at all especially since this car traveled cross country so you can hardly count 3,000 miles of the 19. Further to that, I have a manual transmission and often downshift to slow down so what is up with this. Initially called the dealer and was told that it sounds about right for the timing and that brakes are replaced as early as 8,000 miles. Seriously??? I worked for Honda Service many years ago and have owned Hondas so I have no idea who this guy thought he was fooling. For the hell of it I Binged Honda brakes and HELLO! I have called the dealer back and expressed my complete and utter disgust that they tried to tell me this is normal and did not even have the decency to tell me about the class action. I am not satisfied with the prospect of being out of pocket $450 and, after seeing how other dealers have replaced the brakes in good faith, will not back down until Honda rights their wrong. My lease is up in June and if I have to return it to them with the original faulty brakes that will be their call. Good luck for trying to charge me a fee on this. I will use my other car which has twice as many miles and the brakes are not even close to being an issue. I have always loved Honda. I have recommended Honda after Honda and now, well like everyone else... Good Bye Honda from me and anyone who will listen. What a shame. And how dumb on their part. DUMB

- , New York, NY, USA

Apr 042012

Accord EX 4

I do not have the time yell!

Rear brake failure like everybody.

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 302012

Accord LX

Car is still under 3 yr warranty, and the brake problem is a know DEFECT! Why should I have to pay ANYTHING to have it fixed? I can file for a $150.00 settlement which I shouldn't have to file just to get a VERY small part of my money back. Since I am now required paperwork to get any money back, I will do my homework. I will make sure my attorney general, automobile associate, and Honda directly all look into my complaint. How is this not covered under either the lemon law or normal warranty? If I don't get all of my money back I will never buy a Honda again, Nor will anyone I can bad mouth this company too.

- , Chepachet, RI, USA