Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 022016

Power window rear rt - won't close. The motor gets very hot. Very unsafe, had my mechanic disconnect the motor. The window started opening on its own while I was in motion & wouldn't close. When engine is on, the motor is on all the time and could cause a fire when key is on positiin.I just realized that this had to be the cause of the melted molding only on that one window. Rarely open this window throughout the years.

- Sun City, CA, USA

May 312016

After pulling into a shopping area parking lot, with the car stationary and the engine off, the door locks failed to open trapping us in the car in the sunlight of a 90 degree day, pressing the key unlock actuator to unlock the doors by using the key unlock button fails to unlock the doors thereby preventing the occupants from getting out of the car. This has happened more than once and has subjected my wife and I to being trapped in the car in rapidly rising heat for more than a few minutes until after repeatedly pressing the key unlock button the doors unlock. The car is not capable of starting during this time. This frightening circumstance has now happened a few times - not comfortable for two people in their seventies.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 252015

My driver side (left) courtesy light will not automatically turn on when the door(s) open nor when the remote is used to unlock the car. Yes the switch is set to door mode. Yes the light works when manually pushed. Yes all other lights come on when the door(s) open. The bulb is fine, the fuse is fine, and the door-light switch is fine. I find this to be a safety issue, not particularly regarding driving, but for my physical safety. I need this issue resolved so if I need to use this light in particular, I can.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Mar 042015

Accord 4-cyl

Engine surged and vehicle sped up, on it's own, when pulling into a parking lot. Vehicle collided with boulders and railroad ties causing damage to the front, rear, undercarriage, and ruptured the fuel tank. When the vehicle came to rest, people were yelling for the occupants to "get out" of the vehicle, because fuel was gushing all over the ground. Driver is 84 and passenger is 82. Both sustained injuries to their spines and driver is still in the hospital as of 3/8/2015. Needless to say, this could have been much worse.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Apr 042014

Accord 4-cyl

Ok, to summarize I am on my 3rd battery and I can't remember how many jump starts in 1.5 years. Since I have owned this 09 I have never been able to keep my keys in the ignition in order to listen to music while the car isn't running. It doesn't matter if it is less than a minute the battery will totally drain and require a jump or replacement. I have gotten every battery tested and I have been told that the batteries are in good working order. But for some reason if I try to use the battery, the battery dies either requiring a jump start or like my last two incidents a brand new battery. There must be something wrong with electrical system because this surely should not be happening.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 042014

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving through a neighborhood one night on my way home and my car just stopped and cut off in the middle of the street. It would not turn back on so I called aaa. Once aaa arrived, they stated that it was my battery. He then said this battery is not any good, I told him I had just bought it 6 months prior from aaa. So the driver replaced my battery for free. This would be my 3rd battery in 1.5 years. New problem, my car still would not start. Not knowing the problem, my car was towed to the mechanic. The mechanic claimed that my fuel filter had went bad, that the car was not able to receive any gas. First of all, I had never heard of a fuel filter going bad especially with the mileage on Y car. Honda service states to replace the filter around 75,000. Since I was no where near 75K what is the problem. Anyway, I had the fuel filter replaced at my own expense. At this point the engine light was on showing there was still a problem. The mechanic then stated that my O2 sensor went bad. So, I replaced the O2 sensor. The engine light remained. My car is too young for this many issues. My car had a little over 60K but I have replaced the battery 3 times, replaced the ball bearings, O2 sensor and gas filter. I find out today the brand new tires I purchased from Honda are not any good and the belt inside the tires are almost broken in two. Thanks Honda, I use to love you.

- Durham, NC, USA

Apr 032014

Accord 6-cyl

12 volt positive connection for battery get corrosion. The connection was covered by plastic cover so I could not see any damage until my car didn't start. I was lucky because it was happened at my garage. However, I am very scared by this problem. Because, I do not have any protection without battery if the terminal is disconnected on the highway. This problem is the same or more dangerous as GM's ignition key recall. Please research how many Honda vehicles have the same problem, and how many people got injury or fatality as quick as possible.

- Edina, MN, USA

Jan 022014

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that all of the dashboard lights were hardly visible during daylight. The dealer was alerted about the failure however, stated that it was a design defect. The manufacture was not alerted of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Yutan, NE, USA

Jun 212012

A federal class action lawsuit claims that 2008-2010 Honda Accord have "a systematic design defect that enables oil to enter into the engine's combustion chamber." The defect causes excessive oil consumption, premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction. In my 2009 Honda Accord, this has caused cylinder misfires on the following three dates, including spark plug failure, multiple spark plug replacements and engine trouble: - June 21, 2012 - April 18, 2013 - September 17, 2013 Honda has settled this lawsuit but details are still unavailable. Here are the details:

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 252013

Accord 4-cyl

Power door locks did not operate for car doors or trunk via the remote key fob. The key would not manually unlock the car doors. There is no manual key access for the trunk.

- Winfield, IL, USA

Jul 012011

The car is equipped with the V6 engine that has vcm (variable cylinder management). I have read several different reasons for the problem at hand but, the car is consuming far more oil than it should. From the consuming of the oil it is also causing spark plugs to foul. There are tons of forums online with people that have the same complaint as well as a class action law suit that was filed sometime in 2012. From everything I have read from researching the problem, Honda either denies there is a problem with the vehicle, supposedly installs some computer upgrade that doesn't fix the problem, tells people their engine needs to be rebuilt, is told they need to run a different type of oil, or like myself was told that it is completely normal for these engines to consume 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles driven. Its seems as though there is a problem with the valves or valve seals sealing off completely. It is a well known problem yet Honda is not doing anything to remedy the problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 312013

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the battery failed while sitting in traffic, causing the contact to become trapped in the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who advised that the battery post failed and caused the battery wires to separate. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The battery was replaced. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Valdosta , GA, USA

Mar 082013

All electrical components(radio, dashboard lights) in dashboard blinks while driving, makes it feels like car is about to die. I noticed this happens when fan is on.

- Edison, NJ, USA

May 012012

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the air conditioning unit was activated and caused the headlights to blink and become dim. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but a diagnostic was not performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,315 and the current mileage was 44,000. Updated 10/11/12 updated 10/17/12

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jun 072012

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that she was positioned in the front passenger seat while attempting to remove her child from his child restraint. During the process, the anti-theft system engaged and locked all of the doors. The contact was unable to open any of the doors. The contact had to break the front windshield in order to exit the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop and the contact was informed that the anti-theft system malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Winnsboro, TX, USA

Nov 132011

Accord 4-cyl

2009 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to repairs related to remote start and main fuse the consumer stated when she purchased the vehicle, she purchased a Honda care vehicle service contract extended warranty. The vehicle came equipped with a remote start. However, on November 13, 2011, her son was unable to start the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was determined a main fuse had blown, possibly due to the remote start. The fuse was replaced. However, on December 9, 2011, the vehicle broke down again, and had to be towed to the dealer. It was determined, a wire in the remote start blew the main fuse again. However, the consumer had to pay $241.31 for the repairs. The dealer refused to the honor the extended warranty the consumer purchased, because they were concerned that the remote start was an after market component. It was determined, that the selling dealer did in fact install the remote start through an authorized representative.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 172011

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked and unoccupied, the four automated windows released and opened independently. In addition, the four power doors unlocked. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Lakeview, SC, USA

Oct 032011

Accord 4-cyl

Drivers side window motor has stopped working not allowing window to roll up/down. The dealer is attempting to say it is the after market tinting. I have had the same tinting on all four windows since a few days after I purchased the car, but driver's side is the only window that the motor will no longer work. My husband's civic has the same issue on his driver's side window.

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Jan 012009

Accord 6-cyl

Key fob has a known defect and works intermintently. $160 to fix what should be a covered issue.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Apr 152010

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that when she returned to her vehicle, the windows and sunroof were open although she closed them whenever she exited the vehicle. The contact stated that the keyless remote was activated without her assistance which caused the windows and the sunroof to open without her knowledge. The contact is concerned that the windows and sunroof could open during rainy weather conditions and cause extensive damage to her vehicle. She filed a complaint with the manufacturer. The VIN was unavailable when the complaint was filed. The current and failure mileages were approximately 3,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA