CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

8.0

2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Dec 182012

Accord EX-L 3.5L V6

It was approaching the time to have my oil changed, so I checked my oil and there was no oil on the dipstick. Took it to my mechanic and had the oil changed. He noticed one of the plugs was fouled and asked me about it and if the car was burning oil. He changed the oil and the fouled plug. Did an internet search to see if there was a problem with excessive oil consumption in 2009 Honda Accords. It showed up that this was a recurring problem. Called Honda Corporation and the rep. wasn't very helpful because I didn't have a record of every oil change. However, the next day I received a call from the service manager of the Honda dealer wanting to see the car. I brought it in and they did a computer mod. and changed the spark plugs. However, they did not change the oil since it had just been changed 3days prior. I received another call from Honda Corporation instructing me to bring it back after a 1000 miles and have the oil checked and then to bring it back after 2000 miles and have the oil checked again. After 2000 miles it was down a little more than a half quart. The Honda dealer said since you didn't have the oil changed by us we can't verify this and you need to start this process over. So that is where I am at. Very frustrated. Down a half quart after 2000 mile may not sound like a lot but for a car that shouldn't burn any oil, to me that's quite a bit. Just waiting on the next step.

- , St Charles, MO, USA

Oct 092009

Accord EX-L V6

this just happed. engine light and vsa light on car is running rough and the called american honda and they told them to pull the heads. so far I said stoppppp right there no way the are doing that with all the problems I am having.I got a lemon law lawyer and hopefully he can make them buy the car back. F.Y.I. ALL DEALERS DO BUY BACK CARS ALL THE TIME EVEN IF ITS BEEN A FEW YEARS. BEST PART IS YOU PAY NO FEES FOR THE LAWYER THE DEALER WILL HAVE TO PAY .

- , San Diego, CA, USA