CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

5.8

1. replaced steering column (6 reports)
  3. replaced the steering cable (1 reports)
  4. replacement of power steering pump which was leaking (1 reports)
2009 Honda Accord steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Sep 072013

Accord LX

I took my 2009 Honda Accord Coupe to Stokes Honda in North Charleston today for normal service and due to a popping noise coming from the steering column. I learned there is a service bulletin regarding the problem but Honda is not stepping up to the plate to fix this known problem. The service manager is going to be calling Honda anyway due to failing paint on my Honda so we asked him to address the replacement of the steering column also. The estimated cost to replace the steering column is just under $600. I've owned this car for less than 4 years and I bought it because of the reputation of Honda. I would have never thought I would need to have such expensive repairs this early into ownership. My last car was a Nissan. I sold it after having it for 7 years and putting 170,000 miles on it. The paint (also white) looked great, there was no known problems mechanically and the most I did was get the routine maintenance done and replace the brakes. When I was purchasing my Honda, I was offered an extended warranty. I asked the salesman if the quality of Honda was as good as Nissan. He responded by saying "It's even better", I declined purchasing the extended warranty because my Nissan had been such a great vehicle and needed no major repairs during my ownership. I expected my new Honda to meet the same standards. Now that there has been mechanical failure and paint failure, all I can do is see if Honda and my dealership step up and resolve both problems that are clearly not acceptable on a car less than 4 years old. Fingers crossed that Honda and Stokes Honda dealership step up and take care of both problems. Will update status when I hear back from the service manager.

- , North Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 012012

Accord 2 D EXL A/T 2.4 I-Vtec 4-cyl

NOT LONG AFTER I BOUGHT MY CAR WHICH WAS IN 2010 I STARTED PERIODICALLY NOTICING A POPPING NOISE COMING FROM THE STEERING WHEEL WHEN IT WAS IN MOTION. THIS WAS NOT SIGNIFICANT AT FIRST AND I THOUGHT MAYBE IT WAS REALLY NOT ANYTHING I SHOULD WORRY ABOUT BUT OVER THE LAST COUPLE YEARS IT HAS GOTTEN MORE NOTICABLE, GETTING LOUDER AND NOW WITHIN THE LAST YEAR IT IS AWFUL!

ANYTIME THE STEERING WHEEL IS IN MOTION IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS GOING TO BREAK. I ASKED THE HONDA DEALERSHIP ABOUT THIS NOISE 2 MONTHS AGO WHEN IT WAS SERVICED AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS DUE TO THE AIRBAG IN THE STEERING COLUMN. THEY SAID THAT IT WAS METAL TOUCHING METAL AND THAT WAS WHAT THE NOISE WAS. I ASKED ABOUT THE COST TO HAVE IT FIXED AND THEY PROVIDED THAT INFORMATION AND THEN TOLD ME "JUST TURN YOUR RADIO UP" AND BRUSHED IT OFF. SO I LEFT AND THOUGHT WELL MAYBE IT WILL GET BETTER.......

NO, IT HAS GOTTEN MUCH, MUCH WORSE AND NOW I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE AIRBAG IN THE STEERING COLUMN. I AM AFRAID IT IS GOING TO EXPLODE EVERY TIME I AM DRIVING. THE NOISE IS AWFUL AND QUIET SCARY. I AM A WOMAN AND I THINK SOMETIMES THEY TEND TO THINK WE ARE SILLY ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS BUT IT IS SO NOTICEABLE WHEN ANYONE IS RIDING WITH ME THEY COMMENT ON IT. I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO AND I WONDER IF HONDA WOULD REPLACE THIS AND POSSIBLY SAVE A FEW LIVES BY DOING SO. I HAVE FOUND MYSELF NOT WANTING TO GET IN MY CAR TO DO DAILY THINGS LIKE GO TO WORK OR THE STORE. I AM VERY UNEASY. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE??

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 252011

Accord EXL 4.0L

The first time I carried my car in they said (service manager) it was the brakes resetting them self, with a smile he said someone can in a few days ago with the same problem. Now in December I went back, this time they (different service manager) said they did not hear any, but it is document. This happen around 36,000 miles, I have extended warrant (certification) Now am near the end of the warrant. I feel that they are waiting for my warrant to expire. If you are having problem with the 2009 Honda Accord why not just fix, instead of waiting the owner to pay it to be fix.

RStringfield, Wilmington, N.C

- , Wilmington, N.C, USA

Sep 122011

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

ok so around 20k miles i noticed when i was driving and turning my wheel it made a weird clicking noise. coming from inside the wheel. i brought it to honda and they test drove it and didn't find anything wrong! so i ignored the issue. around 48k miles i went back to honda for an oil change. the guy who drove my car noticed the clicking noise so he advised me to make an appointment to check it out. i did. they found that it was a cable problem and that it was not covered under warranty. isn't that great. the problem happened around 20k miles when i was under warranty and since they didn't find a problem before, now its not covered. isn't that amazing. smfh. honda of greenwich is really slacking.they told me it was not a hazard to drive so i left the issue. maybe if i get reimbursed i will have it fixed. if not i'm leaving the issue. but yes when i turn the wheel from side to side it makes a weird clicking noise. does anyone else have this problem?

- , Riverside, CT, USA

Apr 182011

Accord LX 4 cyl

Replaced steering column. As of today, September 11 2011 I have 34500 miles on this car, I don't drive the car because the 3 years warranty will be over on November first and this is a leased car (that I wanted to keep) cannot wait to return this car to the junk lot dealer car.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Mar 012011

Accord LS 4 cyl

Had the car serviced last month at the dealer, and they did not address the complaint only to say that the steering column might require replacement. Took it back in for service to the dealer today and they told me that they had seen bulletins from Honda about the problem, and that replacement is the most likely correction. They also advised it would be $357 for the column and $283 to install. I told them I have a Jeep with over 250k on the clock and I still don't have to replace the steeering column, and if they expect me to pay, I will be on the phone wioth Honda Motors about it. The service advisor said he will talk to his manager on Tuesday tro see if they will replace at N/C since I am such a good cistomer. We will see. A $23K car that's 2 years old and it needs a new steering column.....sounds like defective equipment to me....

Update from Apr 30, 2012: Honda of Conyers replaced the steering column for me with no problem on warranty. No problems since.

- , Conyers, GA, USA

Sep 152010

Accord EX

I have to say I am not impressed with this car. Reporting another issue under brakes.

I think it is starting to "pop" again; just waiting for it to be a little more consistent.

- , Centerburg, OH, USA

Jul 102010

Accord LX

My car is to be checked next week but thye always say it is nothing wrong and do not even want to hear that this time.

- , Glenside, PA, USA

Jul 312009

Accord EXL 2.4L

Honda dealer says this is NORMAL. I've demanded to show me other brand NEW car from their parking lot, it wasn't making that much noise. I had to push them until they decided to contact Honda Tech support with the complaint. The popping sound occurs most frequently when the car truns left or right. You can also hear it if you sit still and turn the wheel back and forth. Finally they replaced steering wheel column.

- , Westmont, IL, USA

Sep 172009

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

At about 20,000 miles, the steering column started popping intermittently. The dealer said that the column needed replacement after inspecting it. This was completed 2 days later and I've had no further issues.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 212009

Accord LX-P 2.4L , 4 cyl

Thought the problem was very unusual since the car was almost new. But I have since learned that there are other defects in this car which I have also reported.

- , Tarrytown, NY, USA

Dec 102008

Accord LX-P 2.4L I4

Honda dealer says this is NORMAL. Showed me other NEW cars with similar sound. I don't think it is the same issue. I had to push them until they decided to contact Honda Tech support with the complaint. We will see what happens next. The popping sound occurs most frequently when the car has been idle for awhile. The first turn of the wheel and POP.

You can also hear it if you sit still and turn the wheel back and forth. I would like to know if others have the same problem.

- , Richardson, Texas, USA