CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

8.9

1. seats should be redesigned and replaced (56 reports)
  3. no solution but for honda to fix this problem (9 reports)
  4. go to change.org and sign the petition (2 reports)
  5. sign petition on change.org (2 reports)
  6. trade the car in or wait for a recall (2 reports)
2012 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Accord:

2012 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 172012

Accord Limited 4 cyl

Had 26 cars in my life..worst passenger/drivers seat design!! Wife gets severe back pain when when she gets out of car. My back feels sore when driving a short distance. Honda should redesign seats! Use their Industrial Designers ...

- , Delray Beach, Florida, USA

Oct 192014

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

I went to get another Camry...but my husband talked me into an Accord. Really nice car, but I just couldn't get used to the seats. ...A month later and I still haven't! Constantly adjusting it trying to get comfortable. It literally makes my back ache! I'm considering selling it at a significant loss and buying another Camry.

- , Wake Forest, NC, USA

May 222013

Accord

The driver seat of this 2012 Honda Accord is HORRIBLE !!!!!!! hard on my back and leg if Honda does nothing we should have have a class action law suit, count me in.

Update from Jul 21, 2014: Spoke to Diamond Honda in Azuza CA. several times, they did nothing to help me.

- , Pomona, California, USA

Jan 022012

Accord SE

I bought a 2008 Civic for my daily 80 miles commute. Six months later my right knee and hip started to hurt so I decided to sell the Civic and leased a 2012 SE Accord which had plenty of interior room thinking that would be better for my commute but I'm still having the same issue with the driver side seat

- , Revere, MA, USA

May 232014

Accord EX V6

I JUST bought a Honda 2012 Accord not a week ago. The drivers seat is horrible. I specifically bought this car to travel and I can't take it more than a mile without my legs going numb. I am so upset. I spent every last dime on this car and now I can't drive it. I will never buy another Honda as long as I live.

- , Cheshire, CT, USA

Mar 122014

Accord SE 2.4L

My biggest complaint about the front seats is the headrests. It seems like Honda could re-design them fairly easily without modification to the rest of the seat. They push your head so far forward it's uncomfortable to drive.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 312012

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

The design of the seats is not conducive to people with back or hip health issues. It has caused more pain and discomfort and I cannot drive or ride in the car. The stitching on the back and seat of the seats hits where your sciatica nerve is and pinches on it causing pain. Also, the passenger seat does not tilt to allow for alleviating pressure on the back/hip.

- , Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Feb 032014

Accord EX 2.4L

Severe back pain from uncomfortable seats. Did not notice during test drive, but on longer drives, pain is too excessive and seats need to be changed.

- , Chino Hills, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Accord Coupe 4 cyl

drivers seat has caused me back pain

Love the car, but I can't find a comfortabel position for the drivers seat. It's like a rock and is causing pain in my lower back.

- , State College, PA, USA

Dec 302013

Accord EX-L 4.0L

The driver seat is horribly uncomfortable. It is impossible to have proper posture while driving the vehicle. The headrest pushes my head forward of my torso, causing neck pain.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 302012

Accord LX V6

Would be nice if it could be switched out. I removed my headrest to solve the problem. The Nissan version of the accord has the same issue

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jul 302013

Accord LX 2.4L

The divers seats are very bad. Bought this Honda Accord in April of 2012. My wife was using it year and a half and was very uncomfortable in the driver seat. Recently she bought a new Nissan and I started using the car. It is been 3 months now and I am very uncomfortable in the car. I get numbness in the hips and severe back ache every time I drive this car for over 40 miles at a stretch.

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 262013

Accord LX 4 cyl

OK Folks and Honda if you can reads this I have driven Honda Accords since 1985, I have owned 85 model, 1987, 1990, 1999 ,and now 2012. I traded in my beautiful 1985 to a new car dealer locally with 304,000 great miles. They put it on their new car showroom floor for 3 months. I recently sold my 1999 Accord EX to a family member with 398,000 miles still a great car and looking good. I was so proud to be able to get a certified Honda, and I spent some money to get it.... But the quality is really dropped with the accord. The ergonomics are terrible !!!! The seat is extremely uncomfortable, and the position of seat in relationship to steering wheel is wrong, the armrest, and door arm rest... Bad, bad !!

I don't know how many Honda's I have sold by word of mouth and example.... Honda owes me on this one. I cannot afford to sell it, or trade it.. so I am stuck with it for a while.. Unhappy

- , Joshua, TX, USA

Jun 162012

Accord EXL V6

I have upgraded leather seats in my Honda accord exl. One would expect that an upgraded leather seat should be comfortable. When I travel my leg gets a cramp in it and it makes it very uncomfortable.

- , Rochelle, IL, USA

Dec 132012

Accord ES V4

Just found out , that so many people have the same problem I have. Purchased Honda Accord in August 2012. In mid December went to the doctor with mid back pain complaint. Doctor prescribed pchysical therapy. After 15 visits pain eased a bit. I was doing excersises at home. Pain is back and became chronic. I could not belive after reading all complaints on your website, that this pain is related to the car seat.

I don't know what to do now? Sell the car? Wait for the recall? I hope Honda will do somethiong.

- , Brick, New Jersey, USA

Jan 012013

Accord LP 2.4L

The seat lumbar was uncomfortable and not adjustable. When sitting in the seat pulling the headrest toward you the plate in the seat will pop back. This undoes the annoying lumbar. Only problem is the headrest will be tilted toward your head. You can remove the headrest though.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Sep 132012

Accord SE

The slanted head rest angles uncomfortably into the back of my head. The way it pushes my head forward makes my neck hurt. This is especially disturbing because I specifically bought the car because of back problems. My chiropractor recommended getting more lumbar support. The power lumbar support is fine, but the headrest is awful. When I called the dealer, they said this was a "feature" and made the car safer in an accident. Maybe it does, but surely there is a way to make a car safe AND comfortable. The car seat felt fine on the short test drives. It was the long 3 hour commuting that s a problem.

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Mar 012012

Accord LX-E

Since purchasing the vehicle my back and neck have deteriorated significantly, and I have never had any back or neck issues nor did I change any part of my active life style. Now I suffer from chronic neck and back pain to the point where I will be trading the vehicle in order to be able to solve the problem and return to a normal life style.

If thinking of purchasing this vehicle I highly recommend against it unless the seat is repaired or replaced with a aftermarket brand.

Other than a seat that is crippling me, the car has been great and reliable.

- , New Maryland, New Brunswick, Canada

May 262012

Accord EX 2.4L V4

My health was excellent as of the morning of 5/26/2012 prior to driving the 2012 Honda Accord EX sedan. I was free of pain in my entire body including my back.

~9:30 am 5/26/2012: I (Dean Nimmo) contacted Ryan Hennessy of Carbone Honda via phone to arrange vehicle purchase. In that conversation, I relayed concerns about driver’s seat discomfort cases posted on Edmunds.com by current owners of 2012 Honda Accords. Ryan explained that he had never heard of complaints from current owners of Accords and that the person complaining was likely blaming the car seat for their personal health problems, meaning he was of the opinion the 2012 Accord driver’s seat did nothing to contribute to discomfort.

~11 am – 2 pm: Vehicle purchased for Dean Nimmo with Dayna Nimmo as purchasing authority.

2pm – 3:30 pm: I drove the vehicle from Carbone Honda to our residence in Syracuse, NY. The drive was approximately 60 miles with duration of about 75 minutes. Immediately upon arriving in Syracuse, I contacted Ryan Hennessy to communicate that my back was experiencing noticeable discomfort while driving and operating the Accord. Upon exiting the vehicle and walking my back continued experiencing continuous sustained pain in the lower portion of my back.

My experience operating the Honda Accord on the date of purchase indicates sitting in the driver’s seat for excess of an hour with sound posture and best-case seat adjustments caused all back pain issues I was experiencing. The Honda Accord driver’s seat is the only variable and is solely responsible for my back pain; all variables considered, age, sex, height, weight, weather, office chair, 2003 Ford Ranger Driver’s Chair, etc. The driver’s seat is defective and over a very brief duration demonstrates the potential to adversely impact a person’s health in a harmful manner.

I will handle complaints with Carbone Honda directly with their staff. The staff was polite and courteous but ignorant to my pro-active inquiry about driver’s seat discomfort concerns.

More details to follow: This note is intended to identify a general summary of events and concerns. Also note, in addition to complaints communicated to the dealer, this case was opened with Honda America within 6 days of the purchase.

I was advised by a Honda America agent that I would be contacted again by Honda America by phone on Monday June 4th. You are welcome and encouraged to contact me with specific questions regarding our 2012 Honda Accord experience. I’m looking forward to working with Honda to address this matter expeditiously.

- , Liverpool, NY, USA

Oct 302012

Accord EX 4 cyl

Seats are designed extremely badly - they made some change from prior year(s), as I have been an Accord owner for many years, and I have never had neck ad back problems caused by its seats before. I noticed the issue right away after driving it for about a half hour - you just don't do that at the dealership. If I had had the car for a day or so to drive, I would NOT have bought it due to this problem.

Issues: Headrest is tilted forward in such a way that it causes neck and back pain. The seat itself is not comfortable - kind of slumped and cupped in a bad way. Promotes PAIN and very poor posture for someone 5'4" (me). If you remove headrest, you have just screwed yourself out of a safety feature. I can't believe Honda, as a good company, is not responding to people's complaints about this. My neck and back problems caused by this now require medical attention, and I am seriously thinking of selling the car and never buying another Honda product again, if they don't make it right soon.

What were they thinking to change something that was working ok? The older accord seats were NOT the greatest, but they did not actively promote pain and suffering.

- , Portland, Maine, USA