CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Honda Accord has a solid reputation (so far), with one very significant flaw: uncomfortable seats.

Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight.

The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

8.9

1. seats should be redesigned and replaced (61 reports)
  3. no solution but for honda to fix this problem (10 reports)
  4. go to change.org and sign the petition (2 reports)
  5. sign petition on change.org (2 reports)
  6. trade the car in or wait for a recall (2 reports)
2012 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Accord:

2012 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 012015

Accord LX 4 cyl

Have had the car about a month, no one told me that the car had a seat problem when I look at the car. After buying the car and driving it for about two weeks my back and neck are killing me. I like the overall car but wish someone could tell me if there something I can do to get this seat not to hurt my back and neck. I think Honda should do something for the people that buy there cars. After talking to the salesperson that sold me the car told me Honda known about the problem for years. At that point I asked him why he did not tell about the seats when I was going to buy the car. No reply

- , cambridge, USA

Jan 062014

Accord EX-L 3.5L

LOVED MY HONDAS, UNTIL MY 2012 EX-L V6 . DRIVERS SEAT SUCKS. TOOK 3-4 DAYS TO NOTICE, AND IS BEEN SUCH A PAIN. I GOT THE BACK PAINS AND ALL THAT YOU PEOPLE ARE SAYING IS NOT BS, ITS FOR REAL. SEATS ARE NOT RIGHT. I AM SURE THEY (HONDA CO. ) KNOW IT BY NOW. DON'T THEY DRIVE THEIR OWN CARS ????? THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY HONDA, ARE YOU HONDA PEOPLE SO F-----N STUPID ????????????? DO IT AND DO IT ASAP. WILL TRADE THE CAR IN FOR ANYTHING BUT HONDA. WHAT A SHAME.... HAD HONDAS ALL MY LIFE, BUT NOT ANY LONGER, TOO BAD !!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL .

- , Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Sep 012012

Accord LX 2.4L

I HAVE CONSTANT NECK AND LOWER BACK PAIN AND I TOSS AND TURN ALL NIGHT LONG AS A RESULT OF THIS.

- , Victorville, CA, USA

Apr 162015

Accord LX

This is my first used car - could not pay for a car what I paid for my house 35 years ago - so I rented a 2015 VW Bug to go car shopping - should have kept the bug.

I was going to buy a Hyundai and for some unknown reason I stopped at a Honda dealer - exhausted and weary (poetic?) I had had it and needed a car asap. So I got in and drove the Accord about 1000 feet - price was good so I signed and paid and picked it up the next day...After driving for about 6 - 7 miles and continuously adjusting the seats trying to find a comfortable position - I decided to sit sideways to relieve the pain in my back and pain in my A_ _!!! I drove a Saturn for 15 years - yes15 years, so was it wrong for me to think that this would be an upgrade?? Was I naive in thinking how could this popular car make my Saturn seem like a Bentley? Who would have thought that a Honda Accord would make me want my Saturn back?? I

contacted the dealer many times - yes I know that this is not their fault - they told me I could trade it in for a Civic (no extra charge) but if I wanted another Accord with seats you can actually sit in without contorting your body in order to never be in a body brace (I apologize to anyone who has to wear one - I am not making light of it) I would have to pay more money - can't - won't do that!!! Oh sure, I can buy seat covers - but they would just be covering the rock hard lumbar support (?) or add a pillow to soften the area where my aging hiney spends a great deal of time. So now I have 3 inches of memory foam for the back of the seat and 6 inches of memory foam for my buttocks - my 89 year old mother has to have a pillow bent to stop her from falling between the crack of the back of the seat and the bottom of the seat - I was so afraid we would have to use the jaws of life to extricate her from the seat (I again apologize if anyone has ever had to be involved in an accident where they had to use the jaws of life)...

So I contacted Honda and they got back to me right away - they want to know if I want them to replace all the seats with leather and 8 way electric adjustments or do I want them to just take the car back and give me a 2015 Honda of my choice - Yeah Right!! NONE OF THIS IS TRUE- they can take my comfort away and they can make my driving a horrible - painful experience - but they cannot take away my dreams. I am sure they will get back to me someday and I just hope I am alive to see it!

If anyone has had any luck with anyone helping to resolve this problem - please let me know - I do not suffer in silence (I apologize to all the stoics out there as I cannot follow in their footsteps)...I wish all the other Accord sufferers not to keep silent - I am sure we can make a difference (yeah right) ...

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 182015

Accord LX

Just bought a 2012 Honda Accord (3/17/15). Wondered how I found such a sweet purchase as it only had 18,000 miles on it. Looked brand new! I quickly found out why this car had such low mileage and why the previous owner sold back to dealership after only 3 short years. Four days after buying my "sweet find," I returned it to the dealership... heartbroken. I have owned Honda Accords for 14 years! Thought I would never consider any other kind of vehicle. But within 24 hours, I experienced extreme lower back and hip pain. The seats are incredibly uncomfortable. Don't understand why they thought they had to fix something that wasn't broken. In addition, the head rest if far from "rest." I was getting a stiff neck. Actually, just took the piece off completely. I test drove the new 2015 model as well. But a test drive isn't long enough to know. It seemed a little better, but still some hip discomfort and irritating head rest. Now, for the first time in 15 years ... I'm looking at other car makes.

- , Abita Springs, LA, USA

Dec 052011

Accord EX V6

I bought the 2012 Honda Accord in Dec 2011 for my wife. The car overall has performed well with no major problems. My wife has complained about uncomfortable seats since we bought it. I too noticed it when I drove for distances over 30 minutes. Last year, 2014, I finally bought my wife a new car and the Honda became my hand me down. I have been miserable in this car. The seat design cause pain in my legs, especially my left leg. It also causes me lower back pain. No amount of seat adjustment relieves the pain so I avoid driving it long distances. After driving home on my last day of work (I'm now temporarily out on doctors orders), the seat was especially uncomfortable to me. I had to go to Urgent Care that evening.

Eventually I found out I had two herniated disks. My trips to the doctor and physical therapy are now miserable with this car but fine in my wife's car. I can't say the Honda Accord caused the problem but it sure didn't help it. From what I've read about the complaints on the Honda Accord seats, I can see they won't be fixed by Honda. I'm now in a market for a replacement vehicle and will be glad to get rid of it.

- , Goldsboro, NC, USA

Mar 232015

Accord 2.4l4

I just purchased car on March 21, 2015. On March 23, 2015 after riding about 1 hour in the car, I noticed my lower back was uncomfortable. I adjusted seats with minor relief. It feels as if something is pressing against by lower back area. Very uncomfortable, my legs are hurting. I am considering taking the car back, because I drive 45 minutes one way to work and this is a pain I don't want. There needs to be changes with the seat.

- , COLUMBUS, OH, USA

Feb 162015

Accord LX

The front driver and front passenger seats are uncomfortable to a point where it affects my driving ability. When I drove for two hours I needed to adjust myself in my seat multiple times, causing me to not focus on the road. After the two hour drive I had bad lower back pain.

- , Poway, CA, USA

Jul 252012

Accord

Since purchasing the 2012 Honda Accord I noticed that after 10 minutes or so in the front seat that I become extremely uncomfortable. I have the leather trim package, so my husband thought maybe it needed to be broken in. Well it's been 2 1/2 years and they're the same. I have been searching for a cover of sorts that may help with the discomfort, but haven't found one. Then I stumbled upon others with the same issue. I'm considering trading the vehicle in because of the amount of pain I'm in. And I don't want to.....We have even gone to the extent of looking into replacing the seats themselves, but can't find anything that will fit and are more comfortable.

It would be nice if Honda would recall the vehicles and fix the issue. I don't want to trade it in, but the pain is a bit much. I had no idea how many people felt the same way. My husband isn't in the vehicle often, but agrees it's uncomfortable. Anyone that spend more than 15 minutes in those seats mention how hard they are.....

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 132014

Accord LX 2.4L

I had been to severe back pain, then I realized its due to my car recently bought. Its Honda Accord, I have been badly suffering like anything with this seat. Please replace the driver front seat and make me comfortable away from stress.

- , Auburn Hills, MI, USA

May 172012

Accord Limited 4 cyl

Had 26 cars in my life..worst passenger/drivers seat design!! Wife gets severe back pain when when she gets out of car. My back feels sore when driving a short distance. Honda should redesign seats! Use their Industrial Designers ...

- , Delray Beach, FL, USA

Oct 192014

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

I went to get another Camry...but my husband talked me into an Accord. Really nice car, but I just couldn't get used to the seats. ...A month later and I still haven't! Constantly adjusting it trying to get comfortable. It literally makes my back ache! I'm considering selling it at a significant loss and buying another Camry.

- , Wake Forest, NC, USA

May 222013

Accord

The driver seat of this 2012 Honda Accord is HORRIBLE !!!!!!! hard on my back and leg if Honda does nothing we should have have a class action law suit, count me in.

Update from Jul 21, 2014: Spoke to Diamond Honda in Azuza CA. several times, they did nothing to help me.

- , Pomona, CA, USA

Jan 022012

Accord SE

I bought a 2008 Civic for my daily 80 miles commute. Six months later my right knee and hip started to hurt so I decided to sell the Civic and leased a 2012 SE Accord which had plenty of interior room thinking that would be better for my commute but I'm still having the same issue with the driver side seat

- , Revere, MA, USA

May 232014

Accord EX V6

I JUST bought a Honda 2012 Accord not a week ago. The drivers seat is horrible. I specifically bought this car to travel and I can't take it more than a mile without my legs going numb. I am so upset. I spent every last dime on this car and now I can't drive it. I will never buy another Honda as long as I live.

- , Cheshire, CT, USA

Mar 122014

Accord SE 2.4L

My biggest complaint about the front seats is the headrests. It seems like Honda could re-design them fairly easily without modification to the rest of the seat. They push your head so far forward it's uncomfortable to drive.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 312012

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

The design of the seats is not conducive to people with back or hip health issues. It has caused more pain and discomfort and I cannot drive or ride in the car. The stitching on the back and seat of the seats hits where your sciatica nerve is and pinches on it causing pain. Also, the passenger seat does not tilt to allow for alleviating pressure on the back/hip.

- , Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Feb 032014

Accord EX 2.4L

Severe back pain from uncomfortable seats. Did not notice during test drive, but on longer drives, pain is too excessive and seats need to be changed.

- , Chino Hills, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Accord Coupe 4 cyl

drivers seat has caused me back pain

Love the car, but I can't find a comfortabel position for the drivers seat. It's like a rock and is causing pain in my lower back.

- , State College, PA, USA

Dec 302013

Accord EX-L 4.0L

The driver seat is horribly uncomfortable. It is impossible to have proper posture while driving the vehicle. The headrest pushes my head forward of my torso, causing neck pain.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA