2013 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Accord:

2013 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 082015

The head restraint causes serious neck pain. The seat design is improper and does not allow for comfortable seating. My legs go numb which can lead to invalid response in braking. Stiff neck pain can cause me to miss blind spots or have reaction time neccessary to avoid dangerous collisions. These seats have not been corrected and should be replaced immediately. Multiple positions do not help. Driving for extended amount of time cause neck to leg pain.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012015

The design of the drivers seat causes sever back pain

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Apr 052014

After about 2 and a half hours of driving, my butt (right side) and leg would hurt unbearably, to the point of me twisting and turning to get comfortable. I would pull over at a rest stop, walk around for 10 - 15 mins, but about 90mins of driving later the pain is back again. This happens in both front seats. I dont know about the back seats as yet. I like the car, but this is terrible.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

May 012013

The headrests cause nevk pain. The headrests push your head forward in an unnatural way almost pushing your chin into your chest. I started having neckpain shortly after purchasing. So intense it went down my arm and caused numbess in my fingers. Spent serval days goung to doctors and mris injections etc. This summer my 13 tear old started complaining. We noticed when switching to my summer 35Z the pain got better and returned when driving the Honda. The seats are also part of the issue I noticed after 15 minutes of driving hard to get comfortable. My neck spine and lower back all affecyed. I finallt traded my vehicle July 11 of 2015 because I could no longer tolerate the pain. Im very disturbed by this and the pain because I usually keep my vehicles a long time... updated 09/30/15

- Leclaire , IA, USA

Jul 182014

I'm in my early 20's and recently developed a searing pain in my lower back that would strike even when I am lying motionless. I still wouldn't have a clue about why it was hurting until another Honda Accord owner (2015) told me he had the same issue and figured out it was the seats! I bought the sacro ease seat adapter from relax the back ($269) and it fixed my problem immediately. Honda should notify the public of the health risks, replace both the driver and passenger seat, and pay for some sort of therapy.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 172015

Accord 4-cyl

The headrest of this vehicle is so poorly designed that after an hour of so of highway driving my neck and shoulders became stiff and uncomfortable. The only solution was to remove the headrest. I felt this was a safety hazard, so I reinstalled the headrest. Shortly thereafter my neck and shoulder stiffness returned.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 202014

These seats have caused so much pain that I now have to go to a chiropractor for weekly treatment. The car is killing me, I'm having to take pain pills and can't drive very long without pain. If I wouldn't loose so much money I would trade the car.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Oct 092013

Accord 6-cyl

On October 9 2013 I had gotten up to go to work, as I got up to go to work that morning I noticed that the seat. Did not move up ward. I started to drive to work but I was uncomfortable in my seating position. So as I went to readjust the seat the who seat slammed to the floor of the car. And I felt like a lower whiplash to my lower back and spine. The seat fell back as I was driving and adjusting the seat I also turned my steering wheel almost into the on coming traffic and person next to me. I regained control of my car but now I was sitting on the lowest level of the seats position. I pulled over because my lower back was hurting and looked at the seat. Nothing had been tampered or touched. I then manually put the seat back into its upper position since it now no longer could adjust with the electronic control. Forward, and back and down you could still move but upward no more. Again got back in my car only now to just move forward a few mph the seat again fell back due to the forward motion of the car and gravity. I took this to the Honda because it is a serious issue to shockley Honda only for them to say that it was out of warranty and wanted to charge me $120 to just look at the issue. And then to tell me it will take $1200 to fix it! so safety is not a concern only profit. I since have to put a box under the seat to keep it from sliding back and from hurting my back further more. But time to time the box moved and the seat continues to slide back and further injury to my back or if not address could cause further injury to others due to loss of control of the car. I do not want to drive this car but I have to drive because it is still a car to get me to work.

- Frederick , MD, USA

Sep 062013

The memory seat adjustment has never worked properly in my new 2013 Honda Accord XL. This issue was brought to the attention of Honda. It was attributed to a switch failure. The memory seats simply would not adjust themselves to the driver's setting, it was necessary to re-adjust the seats manually. Memory seat adjustment stopped working completely Oct. 2014. I am almost sorry I purchased this car. Why should I be charged for a replacement switch which is clearly manufacturer failure?

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Apr 012013

Accord 4-cyl

The seat/headrest is the main issue. It pushes my head to far forward and makes it very comfortable to drive. The long-term safety issue is that so many people are complaining about the seats/headrests that many are modifying/removing the headrest to avoid pain/discomfort which will create an unsafe restraint system.

- Lancaster, MA, USA

Jul 142014

These comments pertain to my fruitless search for a car without head restraints that force my head down to an uncomfortable, painful position. At 5 ft 10 in I am just 1/2 inch over the average male height in the U.S. this situation, affecting many makes, models and years, is causing people to develop back problems, and in some cases remove or disable safety equipment. Internet searches show hundreds of these complaints, and examples of how to remedy the problem by either removing or turning around head restraints. Even a dealer suggested I did the latter, which I will not do. Since manufacturers are ignoring the issue except for top-of-the-line models, the NHTSA should intervene to force a solution to help customers retain safety features while not incurring back injuries. This is part of the narrative I posted on one of many on-line forums on the subject: Interested in buying a 2013 Honda Accord ex-L but I can't stand the head restraints. I can't drive with my head looking down. I tested it for 45 minutes and ended up with a back/neck ache. I tried a 2012 Accord and found the same problem. My 2008 Pilot does not have the problem, as a matter of fact, I tried a new Pilot and it was comfortable. Clearly, it meets safety standards without compromising driver comfort. I found hundreds of complaints on-line about the same issue dating back to 2009. Here's one of those web sites: I called Honda customer service and they were no help at all. Three times the lady I spoke with repeated the litany of "since 2009 all Honda cars....etc" referring to new federal safety regulations. Never mind that the Pilot does not sacrifice comfort for safety. How can Honda ignore such a problem that must be turning away Accord buyers? how can Honda ignore it when they have the solution in another one of its models (the Pilot)?

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 162013

Head rests on seats are very uncomfortable you need to lean forward and down while driving we removed the head rest, thou it is a safety feature.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Mar 262014

Accord 4-cyl

Front drivers seat causes neck and back issues. No adjustment seems to alleviate the problem. Try adding seat and back cushion with no relief. There seems to be no resolution offered by Honda. I believe this is a design issue and could cause a safety issue.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 012013

The seats in my Accord are terrible. It puts you in an awkward position and makes you slump as your driving. I have had severe neck, lower back and shoulder pain from the discomfort. I am forced to lose money on this car and trade it in because it is very distracting to try to change the seats as I drive. Some nights after driving I am unable to walk my back hurts so bad. Please do something about the seats!

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Dec 312012

Near accident at 1300 miles. Did you know the rate of owner filed NHTSA safety complaints related to seats/head restraints for the 2012 and 2013 Accord are occurring at a rate 49 times higher than the combined rate for Altima, Camry, elantra and Taurus? almost all Accord complaints include the same elements: Awkward posture, pressure on head and neck, pain and distraction caused by the seat/head restraint. Honda tells owners that all manufacturers get the same complaints, and blames NHTSA FMVSS 202: Both are untrue! aforementioned 4-12-2013 count shows this is a very severe problem for Accord, but not for all other manufacturers. the seats in my 2013 Accord are very uncomfortable partly because they provide no backset between the head restraint and my head; instead, they impose a "push" of a least 13 mm. This causes distraction within 30 minutes of driving, and within two hours generates severe pain which impairs my driving. during the FMVSS 202 process, umtri submitted a research finding that said "a 50 mm backset would result in head restraint interference for 13% of the driving public". a majority of the manufacturers, among them GM, magna, johnson controls, aiam, the alliance, Nissan, Porsche, DaimlerChrysler, and Ford, stated that a "backset of 50 mm may cause significant intrusions into the space where these occupants typically place their heads, forcing their heads into an unnatural forward-tilting position". Honda ignored these findings, is solely responsible for bad seat design a 1997 cdc report that found strong evidence of a causal relationship between awkward neck and shoulder posture/ prolonged static loads and musculoskeletal disorders (msd), and additional research reveals the impacts of msd, including pain and fatigue. the Accord is a danger to me, my passengers, bystanders and other drivers and should be recalled as soon as possible.

- Athens, GA, USA

Feb 172014

During a snow storm in columbus, Ohio, while I was in my house, my car windows automatically rolled down, covering the seats, seat belts and car seats with snow. Due to a feature of the car documented in the owners manual on pages 128-129, if the lock button is compressed twice within 10 seconds, and held down (e.g., in a briefcase or purse when something heavy lands on it), the windows will roll down. This works well enough to transmit from inside a house to a driveway. I thought the car was all locked up, but it was not. Googling "Honda windows roll down" led me to a litany of complaints about the same thing happening, in snow storms, rain storms, etc. Apparently the feature is for hot climates (Texas, California--or Ohio in the summer), but there is no way to turn it off. Given how damaging this can be to a car, it seems like it should be a feature one could turn off. The customer service rep told me she had a call from a woman the week before who had the same problem. It should be easier to keep a car interior protected from the elements. Honda indicated they have no plans to address this in the future.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 132014

Accord 6-cyl

The drivers seat causes severe lower back pain and also neck pain is so uncomfortable I cannot drive this car more than 30 minutes. Tried multiple seat adjustments without success. Very distracted while driving. Almost had an accident while driving because I was distracted with preoccupation with the seat issue. Also my wife complains in the front passenger seat headrest causes here severe neck pain and strain.

- Live Oak, TX, USA

May 012013

Head rests are angled too far forward. I cannot drive the car like it was manufactured. I have turned the headrest backwards.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Oct 012013

Accord 4-cyl

Ltr re a similar version of a petition to review the safety of the seats used in 2012 and 2013 Honda Accord- the head rest and other seat elements cause driver distraction/impairment (attachment not imaged fwd to nvs-200) the consumer stated the head rest restraint caused discomfort and was a distraction while driving. The driver's seat put the consumer in an awkward position and imposed a long duration static load on his neck and upper spine. The consumer stated he was distracted by the push of the head rest, which was too far forward. It pushed his head forward from a neutral position by at least one-half inch. The upper seat was very concave and caused tension to his upper spine. Finally, the shape of the bottom of the seat back forced him into a slumped position which cause lower back pain. When the last repair was performed at the dealer, they reversed the head restraint, which apparently, was common and unsafe, a practice dealers used to resolve owner complaints.

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 272013

Accord 4-cyl

I am finding the driver seat in my 2013 Honda Accord to be unbearable. I am 5' 10" and 160 lbs, and drive 20 miles to work, which takes an average 35 minutes. As many have said, the head rests are pitched too far forward, causing neck pain. I have tried turning the head rest around, but this allows too much space, and is most likely very dangerous, but I have found it to be more comfortable. In addition, there is no lumbar support at all, and the upper part of the seat curves your upper body forward. The result is that your body is curved into a C shape, which is extremely uncomfortable and painful.

- Saint James, NC, USA