8.8

2013 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Accord:

2013 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Mar 202014

Accord LXS 4

• CVT transmission

I'm 6 foot average build. Can not find a comfortable arrangement for the driver side seat. Noticed back and neck pain and I only drive the car about 50 miles a day. Tried adding cushions and the result is the same. I believe this is a bad design and honda says there is no problem. I beg to differ. I'm probably going to sell this car and accept the loss. It is too bad because the rest of the car is great.

- , Acworth, Georgia, USA

Apr 012013

Accord V6

I was so excited to purchase my new Honda Accord in January of 2013 but soon thereafter realized the forward leaning headrests put stress on my upper back and neck and after just a few minutes of riding in the car caused extreme discomfort. I have been told the head rests are made this way because they are active restraint headrests and they can not be adjusted to ease this discomfort. It sickens me to have a very beautiful new car that runs great but is so uncomfortable.

I feel Honda should correct this problem as I have read numerous consumer complaints. Of course everyone wants to be safe and design changes that make cars safer is a good thing unless they bring discomfort to the consumers. NO ONE WANTS TO BE UNCOMFORTABLE. That is why people have chosen to put themselves at risk by turning the headrests around. How many people are going to have to complain before a law suit is instigated if Honda will not remedy this situation. We, the consumers are going to lose thousands of dollars if we have to trade our Honda cars for other brands of automobiles with head rests that are not going to injure our necks just by riding in the car. This seems to be a change that was not well thought out before it was implemented.

Sorry, Honda but in my opinion you need to step up to the plate, design a replacement headrest and give the consumer the opportunity to at least purchase it if they so desire!!!!

- , Benton, KY, USA

Jul 022013

Accord EX-L Navi 2.4L

• CVT transmission

The leather seats probably fit many people with normal physique. However, if you are thin, boney or just old, the seats are hard and uncomfortable. I found that out shortly after leaving the dealership. On the short test drive I took, the seats felt a bit hard, but I thought they might soften up. Not so. After 8 months they are still hard and I have experimented with various foam rubber, polyfoam, memory foam and gel cushions. I get some relief from them, but a day-long drive is probably out of question with any of those. Honda is not interested in doing anything, because not enough people have complained to them or to the Feds. I have contemplated totally replacing the seats, but that's costly and messes up the appearance for resale. Maybe the only solution is to sell the car and get an Altima, which has very comfortable seats.

- , Spring, Texas, USA

Oct 142013

Accord EX-L

I purchased a Honda Accord 2013 EX-L in early October. The seats are HORRIBLE & is by far the most uncomfortable ride I've ever experienced in my life! I am having miserable hip & lower back pain after 15 minutes of drive time. I commute 2 hours round trip each day to work.

Fix this problem, Honda!!!!

- , Christiansburg, VA, USA

Sep 132013

Accord LX

I bought this car brand new only 2 weeks ago as a commuter car and I cannot get comfortable driving the car in any way. I have repositioned the seat, headrest and lumbar supports in everyway posssible and still I have back and neck aches. Do not buy this car if you drive long distances!

- , Brookfield, CT, Albania

Sep 072013

Accord EX-L W/NAV V6

After much research, I purchased a new 2013 HONDA ACCORD EX-L w/NAV. I took the car for a test drive, felt the seats were a bit uncomfortable, but attributed it to not having sufficient time in the car to properly adjust for a 10 minute spin around the block. After driving the car for a few days (approximately 16 miles each way back and forth to work), I found myself constantly adjusting and re-adjusting the seats. I started to notice after being int he car for just 10 minutes, I felt numbness in my lower back and hips, extreme tightness in my lower back. The seats are perforated leather, but matte finish, so no sliding around. They grip you and create "hot" spots, so you're constantly shifting in your seat. When I found myself adjsuting the seats while cruising down the freeway, I thought, "this is an accident waiting to happen". This seat is so uncomfortable, that in addition to the back/leg/hip pain (which lingers long after you've exited the vehicle), my arms would also begin to get fatigued. I recall now why the salesman pinted out the two "bumps" on either side of the steering wheel. He suggested I run my hands over the bumps on long trips if I felt any fatigue. Long trips? How about 10 minutes! I bought this car partly because I anticipated long leisurely drives for vacations. I traded in my 2004 Honda Accord EX-L w/NAV (which never gave me a minute's discomfort, btw) and now I regret it. Knowing I would never get any enjoyment out of owning this vehicle, I complained to the dealer and asked them to buy back the car at the 400 mile mark (one week after purchase). Of course, I had to declien their offer because the financial loss would have been too great. So now the car sits untouched in my garage.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 112013

Accord LX

My seats on my new 2013 Honda Accord LX are very hard and uncomfortable. The head rest is in my way and if I move the seat back it requires holding my back in an uncomfortable. My butt hurts from a short 8 mile trip. This is ridiculous. There's all kinds of expensive technology and exterior body beauty and the comfort is terrible. What the heck.... I noticed the seat felt like it had a hump in the middle even on the test drive and figured, I need to break the seat in... which I thought might be the case even yesterday with my 4-day old car. Now that I read that I'm not the only one, then it's not just me. What can I possible do?

- , Del Rey Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 092013

Accord LX 4

• CVT transmission

As of 9-8-2013 NHTSA has received 16 complaints about 2013 Accord seats/headrests. Here is the latest: DID YOU KNOW OWNER FILED NHTSA SAFETY COMPLAINTS RELATED TO SEATS/HEAD RESTRAINTS FOR THE 2012 AND 2013 ACCORD ARE OCCURRING AT A RATE 49 TIMES HIGHER THAN THE COMBINED RATE FOR ALTIMA, CAMRY, ELANTRA AND TAURUS? MOST ACCORD COMPLAINTS INCLUDE THE SAME ELEMENTS: AWKWARD POSTURE, PRESSURE ON HEAD AND NECK, PAIN AND DISTRACTION CAUSED BY THE SEAT/HEAD RESTRAINT. BASED ON 4-12-13 COMPLAINT COUNT.

HONDA TELLS OWNERS THAT ALL MANUFACTURERS GET THE SAME COMPLAINTS, AND BLAMES NHTSA FMVSS 202: BOTH ARE UNTRUE! 4-12-2013 COMPLAINT COUNT SHOWS THIS IS A VERY SEVERE PROBLEM FOR ACCORDS, BUT NOT ALL OTHER MANUFACTURERS.

THE SEATS IN MY 2013 ACCORD ARE PAINFUL PARTLY BECAUSE THEY PROVIDE NO BACKSET BETWEEN THE HEAD RESTRAINT AND MY HEAD; INSTEAD, THEY IMPOSE A "PUSH" OF A LEAST 13 MM. THIS YIELDS MAJOR DISTRACTION IN 30 MINUTES, SEVERE PAIN IN 2 HOURS; BOTH IMPAIR DRIVING. OTHER SEAT ERGONOMIC FEATURES EXACERBATE THE PROBLEM.

DURING FMVSS 202 RM, UMTRI RESEARCH SHOWED A 50 MM BACKSET WOULD RESULT IN HEAD RESTRAINT INTERFERENCE FOR 13% OF THE DRIVING PUBLIC. THE MAJORITY OF MANUFACTURERS, INCLUDING GM, MAGNA, JOHNSON CONTROLS, AIAM, THE ALLIANCE, NISSAN, PORSCHE, DAIMLERCHRYSLER, AND FORD, STATED THAT A BACKSET OF 50 MM MAY CAUSE SIGNIFICANT INTRUSIONS INTO THE SPACE WHERE THESE OCCUPANTS TYPICALLY PLACE THEIR HEADS, FORCING THEIR HEADS INTO AN UNNATURAL FORWARD-TILTING POSITION.

NHTSA LISTENED, ALLOWS 55 MM.

HONDA IGNORED THESE FINDINGS, IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR BAD SEAT DESIGN.

A 1997 CDC REPORT FOUND STRONG EVIDENCE OF A CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN AWKWARD NECK AND SHOULDER POSTURE/ PROLONGED STATIC LOADS AND MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS (MSD); MORE RESEARCH REVEALS THE IMPAIRMENTS FROM MSD: PAIN AND FATIGUE.

THE ACCORD IS A DANGER TO ME, MY PASSENGERS, BYSTANDERS AND OTHER DRIVERS AND SHOULD BE RECALLED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. FORMAL PETITION SENT 9/6/13

- , Athens, Georgia, USA

Apr 232013

Accord EX_L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Honda makes great cars. I've owned Hondas since the late '70s and they have all been great. I bought a new 2013 Accord EX-L in April and it is also a great car except for one major downside. The seats are very uncomfortable. It is as if Honda copied the Detroit designed car seat and put it in the Accord. The head rest pushed my head forward at an uncomfortable angle. I had to remove and reverse it so it is in a normal position. The seat back presses against my upper back, shoulder blade height, and at my hips, leaving the mid back with no support. It's like they made a hammock. When I sit normally there is a space between my middle back and the seat back. I am a 5'9" 150 lb male so I am not in any way unusually shaped.

Why oh why did Honda copy the Detroit seat design? They were so comfortable in the past.

- , Clayton, CA, USA

Jan 202013

Accord EXL V6

We decided to exchange our 2007 Camry LE for Honda Accord EXL. We reviewed vehicle on KBB and Edmunds and found very high ratings. The car appeared very nice and elegant inside out with alot of technology. We were very happy with our purchase initially. However after driviing about 55 miles on highway, my and my wifes back ( who was in front passenger seat) started hurting. neither I nor she at any point had any back problems before. I thought, may be we had whole day exertion at dealership and long sitting there that might have caused it. So I decied to take complete rest for 2 days and took pain killers to relieve the pain. We then decided to take an other 50 miles trip. After driving only 10 miles, the pain came back for both of us. For me in driving seat, I have tried all possible combination including lumber support, upright position, elevated seats to seats that are pulled all the waycloe to dash board. Nothing so far seems to work. We are really disappointed. I certainly dont like the idea of becoming a patient or my wife becoming a patient of coccygeal and or lumbar area pain. Hoping that honda notices this problem and provide some solution.

- , Loma Linda, CA, USA

Jun 262013

Accord Sport

• CVT transmission

Just purchased the 2013 Accord Sport. Replacing a 2004 Accord EX-L with 180, 000 miles.

First impression of the 2013, AWESOME! The car looks great. The drive is what I expected. I did a little research and the reviews were great. Rolled it off the lot on Saturday night.

Three days and 700 miles later and I am more than dissatisfied. All because of the drivers seat. The right side (armrest side) bolster is nearly void of padding. With the slightest press of your finger you can feel the metal frame! Now I am driving around with a piece of metal poking in my back. Compared to the padding on the passenger seat and you will immediately feel the difference. I have returned to the dealer twice looking for help only to find out that every Sport model we looked at is built the exact same way. It is a design issue is all they can say.

At this point it appears there is no fix. Very disappointed. I love this car but am totally annoyed driving it. This is my third Honda. I never expected this poor design.

- , Pickerington, Ohio, USA

Jan 312013

Accord EX 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I love the new 2013 Honda Accord EX CVT. It has lots of bells and whistles at a reasonable cost. However, the front driver seat is terrible. You don't really notice it during a test drive because its too short but after a computer trip to work, this seat is killing my lower back. I've adjusted the seat in all possible combinations and none work. My old 2007 Honda seat was perfect. This new seat has a design flaw. If they don't fix the problem I may end up eating thousands of dollars because I'm not sure I can keep this car.

- , Holdmdel, NJ, USA

May 302013

Accord LX $ cyl

The upper section of the seat back (Drivers side)has very little support. This results in severe back pain on longer trips (30km+) . I talked to the dealer who has no solution, other than going to a car upholstery shop and see what they can do.

I went to a car upholstery shop who indicated that they might be able to take out the seat back stitching, add foam support which hopefully would result in increased comfort. Cost +/-$400.00. BTW this fellow just touched the seat, sat in it and pinpointed the problem - lack of foam support in the upper section of the seat. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

- , St. Catharines, ON, Canada

Jun 032013

Accord Sport 2.5L

After a great 170,000 miles from new in a 2005 Accord LX, I thought I was getting an upgraded model with the Accord 2013 Sport. Here are the big problems: 1. Seats suck - not as good as my old 2005 that I still have. Headrest pushes the head forward. Even with electric seats, I can't find a comfortable position. Turned the headrest around but still not supportive for the upper back. Takes any pleasure out of driving. 2. Pogo stick ride feels numb and disconnected. Even though it's nice to have that little extra horsepower,you are not as connected with the road as the 2005 and makes for a dull ride. Although I got the Sport model, a stiff ride doesn't make it feel sporty. The old model hugged the corners and was actually a better ride too. 3. Better gas mileage - bullshit! I averaged 29-30 mpg in the 2005. Perhaps if you spend all day on the Interstates you can do well but around NY area, the average currently showing on the display is 28.x for this last fillup. One of the reasons I bought this was because of the published figures. What a mistake! This is the last Honda for me.

- , Cresskill, NJ, USA

Jan 072013

Accord LX 2.4L V4

• CVT transmission

I purchased this car as a result of an accident, on Christmas day 2012 my previous car, 2006 Toyota Avalon was rear ended and totaled. I sustained whiplash and severe back pain as a result of the accident and I am seeing a chiropractor and I am in therapy 3 times a week. I was deciding between a 2013 Nissan Altima, a Ford Fusion, A Hyundai Sonata and the Honda Accord. After test driving the four cars, the Honda seemed to be my best option.

After driving the car for a week I started noticing increasing back pain, as I just had the accident, I assumed the pain was as a result of it, and did not put any blame on the car. Another week passed, and I was noticing the pain was actually worse during my commute to and from work, about 1 hour each way. By week 3, I started adjusting my seat every few minutes to try to find a sweet spot that I could tolerate. I actually never could. So by the end of the week, I mentioned it to my chiropractor. He suggested using a specially designed pad for my back. I purchased the pad for my back, and it helped some, but not fully so he also suggested a pad for the bottom of the seat as well. Although both solutions together are helping, it is not right that I have to spend time to adjust these devices each time I get in my car before I can take off. This past weekend my wife and I went on a long drive, this was her first time in the car for a long drive, rather then her typical 5 minute commutes to the grocery store. She had the same problem in the passenger seat as I have in the drivers seat. It was so bad, she got sick half way into our journey, causing us to have to return home early.

I think Honda really needs to fixed the problem with my head rest, as this is where the problem stems from. In most other cars I have owned or driven, the head rests flow with the design of the seat, basically straight up, but in the Accord, the head rest sticks out a few inches away from the seat causing you to either not be able to sit back, or if so, if puts so much pressure on your neck and back you get severe pains throughout different parts of your back. As mentioned above, the Ford Fusion, one of the cars I drove, had the ability to not only move the head rest up and down, but also front and back. If Honda could give me a replacement headset that was straight up, or were a least able to push the head rest back, that would be the only resolution I could see for this issue.

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA