2005 Honda Accord Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid:

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Owner Comments

Aug 222015

Accord Hybrid

Have noted on a few occasions that the brake booster is not activated when a car has been sitting overnight or for extended duration of time. What typically happens is that I start the vehicle and shift it into gear and proceed. However, if I have to brake within 1-2 minutes of starting the car, the brake booster appears to not be working and I am left using manual brakes essentially since the vacuum boost is not working. Once the car has been running for a few minutes, the brake booster starts working normally. Because of this intermittent behavior, I have almost crashed into things while backing up or driving forward since the power brakes were essentially not working in those scenarios. I have checked the brake booster system and everything appears to be normal. Brake pedal does not sink during normal operation, nor does there appear to be a leak in the brake system when I prime/pump the brake while the car is turned off. After investigating the issue, I have found a temporary solution is to start the car and pump the brakes first before going. The brakes will lose the vacuum boost in the initial 2-3 pumps and then after a few more pumps will get the normal vacuum assist back. I have gone to my local Honda dealership and asked them if there are any technical service bulletins associated with the issue and they have told me that there are none. I know that because of the Honda integrated motor assist in their hybrid vehicles, there is an extra vacuum switch module that controls the brake booster so that it can turn the engine back on during idle-stop to restore brake boosting. I suspect that there is an issue associated with that 3-way joint that is causing initial loss of vacuum. Online forums have indicated potential premature failure in the brake vacuum hoses.

- Andover, MA, USA

Jan 022014

Accord Hybrid 6-cyl

At any time when first operating vehicle when temperatures are below freezing, brakes fail to function. Must wait for brakes/brake fluid to warm before they function correctly. Stopping impossible before system warms. I am in Georgia, so I would hate to have this vehicle in New York.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Dec 052011

Accord Hybrid

It always happens in the winter time, I get in my car to leave and I have no brakes. The pedal is very hard/stiff and you have to pull the emergency brake in order to actually stop. In fact I almost hit a car today and the car had actually already been warm and went into a place for about 30 min and I assumed they would still be warm, wrong that's when I about hit a vehicle because I couldn't stop!

- Chillicothe, MO, USA