9.5

$1,373.00

1. replace top end of engine (3 reports)
2001 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda CR-V:

2001 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

May 142014

CR-V LX 2.0L V4

As with many others, a valve burnt out on my 2001 CRV. This is a known problem by Honda and others for this generation CRV. I never received any information about this problem. There is a Honda Service Bulletin on this problem, suggesting the valve clearances be checked every 30k. I was never informed about that.

When I asked my dealership, they said the only recourse was a 4,000 new head.

I asked about replacing the whole engine with a used engine, but the dealership never got back to me.

Nice way to lose several future sales, Honda!!

In the Owner's manual, there is no mention of the need for owners to check clearances for the valves. I guess I'm lucky the vehicle lasted to 150,000. But it could have lasted longer, if they had the correct maintenance schedules available.

They could have at least come back to me with an estimate for installing another engine.

- , Reisterstwon, MD, USA

Jun 082011

CR-V LS 2.0L

Having the same problem as many owners of the 2000 and 2001 CR-V-valve's will not seat. Had tune up, running good, then light came on 12/10, new distributor. then light came on again a few weeks later, test everything no answer, turn it off. then it comes back on later, still no answer after checking everything. Now my mechanic says, hmm I think there is a problem w the number 4 cylinder, you should take it to Honda dealer to see about adjustment. Take to dealer, can't do adjustment, valves won't seat etc. etc. It seems that this has been a long time problem and Honda didn't really pay attention or inform folks. That irritates me.

I take care of my car and like everyone else thought that it would run for a long time. Now I'm not so sure and not happy at how Honda has addressed or Not addressed this problem. I will be checking this sight out when I go to buy another care in the future. It is very informative. Thanks.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Aug 052011

CR-V 4 cyl

My mother and I bought this Honda CRV from Continental Honda & Acura, Anchorage in 2001. We have done oil changes every 2 to 3 thousand miles. It has been in a heated garage when not in use. It has 45,232 miles on it. The check engine light came on and the engine started fluttering and stalling. I took it to a local shop to have a computer readout of the problem, because I did not want to drive it 50 miles to the dealership with the light on. They told me that the valves needed adjusting or the heads replaced. I asked if it would be safe to drive into Honda they said "yes," as long as I took it easy. Before I left the house, I called and tried to talk to the service manager and received attitude. He told me they had to see it for themselves to decide what needed to be done. I could understand that, so I took it in. They told me that every 30,000 miles I need to get the valves adjusted and that I was lucky that I did not have to replace the heads. By the way, the valve adjustments cost $368.50. Out of the goodness of their hearts they did not charge me for the computer check, which I paid for at home or the performance leak test. I felt so lucky. When I purchased this vehicle I was not told this had to be done every 30,000 miles, the manual says to get this done every 105,000. Now have it in writing from the less-than-helpful service adviser. " Recommend valve adjustment every 30,000 miles on severe weather maintenance" with his signature. My manual says 105, 000 for severe weather maintenance. Where did this number come from and why were we not informed?Apparently this vehicle needs to be driven only on mildly sunny days. He also informed me that the manager was not available. He offered to give him my number when he became available. The man was antagonistic. There was no regret or sincere apology for the malfunction of this vehicle. I should be grateful for only having to spend $368.50 valve adjustment, $85.00 computer check, missing a day at work and driving 100 miles. This was bought as a retirement vehicle in good faith and has been well taken care of. There is no way we would have purchased it if we need to spend this much every 30,000 miles.

- , Wasilla, Alaska, USA

Jan 152011

CR-V

Honda CRV 1998-2001 knows about this valve problem, a manufacturer problem, and because they cheaped out, we as customers who (used to) believe in this product name, now get to pay for being DECEIVED BY THE HONDA NAME. I finally bought an SUV by a maker I thought I believed in. This vehicle was maintained immaculately, everything done as per manufacturer recommended scheduled maintenance...At 129,000 km/ approx 65,000 miles, the engine light came on, same as others the mechanic changed plugs, wires, light went off a couple days, then back on, started idling rough, code on machine says "misfire", I suggest check engine compression.Low and behold, cylinder number one at half compression, need new top end. Mechanic that fixed identified valve clearance as direct cause, and manufacturer failed to address issue. Apparently there never was enough clearance, and cylinder #1 was predestined to burn out due to the clearance problem, which the manufacturer, Honda acknowledges, but apparently fails to take ownership over marketing a faulty product, and instead relying on their name for unsuspecting customers like us. Up until now, I had been a devout Honda owner, lawnmower, dirtbike, vehicles...NO MORE, unless the manufacturer chooses to address this problem I will spend the remainder of my days telling as many people that will listen about Honda's faulty product. Buyer beware - perhaps a sticker for our bumpers!!

- , Grand Forks, BC, canada