2002 Honda CR-V accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda CR-V:

2002 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Oct 182014

Shortly after we purchased our Honda 2002 CR-V in October 2014 we noticed the driver's seat was loose: It actually rocks a bit: And upon investigation found that the bolts securing it to the floor could not be tightened without removing the entire seat. The seat is still loose. More recently we learned that there had been a recall, NHTSA campaign id number: 02V251000. The defect can lead to the seat failing to remain anchored to the floor in a crash. The information on the NHTSA website says that only two [sic] vehicles were affected by the defect, and that the owners were notified by telephone. We would like to know whether the recall applies to our vehicle. How should we proceed?

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Jul 122015

William robertson 221 circle valley dr SE calhoun ga 30701 my A/C compressor has went out again for the 3rd time. We have paid Honda hennessy of woodstock a total of $6000 in the past 5 years for this. We bought this Honda CR-V with only 3 miles. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Also my driver side seat reclines back and forth with out even using the latch. My door locks do not even work they have had to be pried open and I have to leave the key in the ignition switch or it won't start.

- Calhoun , GA, USA

Mar 072014

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the driver seat anchor bolt fractured and moved independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

Apr 182014

I just bought this vehicle few months ago. Noticed as soon as I sat in the driver seat, it was very loose and wobbly. The salesman informed me it had not been installed properly at the factory, and the bolts had came loose or broke, but the bolts do not line up with the holes in the seat to hold it in place. I read in the recalls, that this issue was only in 2 vehicles and they had been fixed. There are definitely more than 2 affected, including mine.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

May 102013

CR-V 4-cyl

The driver's seat rocks back and forth during normal driving when stopping or starting. Additionally, I found a screw loosen under the seat area.

- Solon, OH, USA

Sep 152013

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the front driver's side seat would independently shift forward and backward whenever occupied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 162010

I am one of three owners who purchased Honda CR-V ex (and LX) in 2002. This has been a great for me I was able to pay for by myself. I was at the dealers and I was able to see it unwrapped with only 6 miles on it as I singed the form to get it that day. I had it insurance the day I picked it up, with that being said I love this car! but in the last two years I have notice a growing number of incidents involving the seat belts in this vehicle. I have at times found it difficult to securely fasten the seat belts at all. My attempt to get the seat belt secured can be laboring; my mother with her failing health cannot do it very well at all. If I was only one of the three of us I would assume that it is just my vehicle but it is not. It can take up to 5 minutes to do this simple task. This makes me question if the connection will give way during an accident. Please understand that my 6 year old daughter is in this car twice a day. This is not just one car seat belt but all the ones in the back and front. Since it is the law to ensure that all persons in a vehicle are securely fastens in the retraining devices. This was a recall some time ago but it was not address when I took my car to a Honda dealer (2002 Honda CR-V seat belts recall 01V351000), nor the rocking of the driver's seat (2002 Honda CR-V seats recall 02V251000) which I find most distracting. I fear that owner of this used vehicles will find it repair to be high cost items. Please consider an investigation of these issues. I hope that it will results in another recall. If need a petition to collect names of the current owners to show you the number of complaints will out weight the very conservative number of affected owner from the number on the recall notice of 2 in the 2002 Honda CR-V seats recall 02V251000 and 6744 affected owners in the 2002 Honda CR-V seat belts recall 01V351000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 122003

I purchased my 2002 Honda CR-V used from a local Honda dealer. The driver seat rocked back and forth from the date of my purchase in 2003. A mechanic at the Honda dealer on a routine oil change said that it was broken, and that it would be a $300 plus repair. I haven't done it, because I figured for a car only having 20,000 miles on it should be under warranty, and they should have caught it when it went through the "certified" warranty program. My seat belt on the driver seat won't lock, unless I repeatedly put the clip in and out, and then it will finally engage after 8 to 10 tries. Again, it has been a problem since I purchased it, and I believe that it should have been taken care of in the "certified" warranty program. Of course, now it is 10 years later, and I only have 80,000 miles on the car, and since these things were present when I purchased the car, I didn't realize that these issues should not have existed. It appears that these are issues that many other Honda owners are experiencing as well, so that would suggest manufacturer defect.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 182011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the driver's seat would shake abnormally and the SRS air bag warning light would illuminate on the instrument panel sporadically. The contact made an appointment with the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 140,000.

- New City, NY, USA

Sep 012010

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while approching a stop, he applied the brakes and the front drivers seat rocked forward slightly. When the brakes were released, the seat rocked backward slightly. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no known defects related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Conway, SC, USA

Mar 162010

I purchased a used CRV in 2006 and notice that the drivers seat rocks back and forth. I was told at that time that there was nothing that they could do about it. I re-mentioned it every time I brought the car for service to no avail. I finally searched online and saw they offered a fix under a tsb but when I just brought it in they said that I would have to pay for the repair..which I cannot afford to do. I get whiplash every day as the seat rocks back and forth and feel that in an accident that the seat may not hold.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jan 262010

The driver's seat is loose, due to defective seat-track parts. This causes the seat to rock back and forth. In an accident, this could cause an exaggerated movement that the occupant would encounter, in my opinion. The seat rocks back and forth approximately 1/2 of an inch (estimate). I have removed the seat and discovered that metal bushings that are part of links that connect the upper seat track assembly to the lower seat track assembly are broken and worn, thus allowing too much play in the pivot bolts. The current mileage on the car is approx. 162000. This problem first started occurring around 50000 miles. When I went to get a state inspection last year, the inspector noticed it and said it should be fixed. That is what I am doing now.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Dec 042008

Repeated mechanical failures of the 2002 Honda CRV that I bought brand new have been occurring since August of 2002. The car was bought in July of 2002. The odor from the inside cabin filter first occurred in August. The fuse to the warning devise that would alert the driver to lights being left on, etc. Went out within 3-4 months. Then major items which had to be replaced: Differential, 2004(though still under warranty, Honda refused to replace it for 2 years), neck of fuel tank broke, 2006, air conditioning system, 2007, driver-side window fell off track because the plastic clamp cracked, 2008, catalytic converter, 2009, O2 sensor, 2009, driver's seat unstable since 2003, SRS slowly went out beginning with intermittent warnings about side door air bag being turned off beginning in 2003 which dealerships ignored as just an occurence from something or someone bumping against the closed door from the inside. Finally in 2008, when the light came on to stay, I was told that it was a failure of the sensor motor__now my problem to again pay for a major repair.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 182007

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the air conditioning unit dispenses hot air. The dealer stated that the clutch on the air conditioning was burned. The contact also stated that the driver's seat is wobbly and not attached tightly and the air bag light automatically illuminates when it is bumped against. The dealer stated that a switch may be needed. The contact stated that when she removes the key from the ignition, the vehicle continues to move. She stated that none of the failures have been repaired by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 71,825.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 152005

CR-V 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated the driver's seat is loose at the base. There is a NHTSA recall, # 02V251000, regarding the seats. The vehicle has the same problems as indicated in the recall; however it is not included in the recall due to the VIN. The vehicle was taken to the local dealership for repair of the seat anchor.

- Selden, NY, USA