3.0

2003 Honda CR-V AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda CR-V:

2003 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jul 012010

CR-V

The contact owns a 2003 Honda CR-V. while traveling at 60 mph, there was an abnormal hissing coming from the A/C vents followed by the A/C becoming inoperable. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact then took the vehicle to an independent mechanic where he was advised that the entire A/C system would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileage was 76,000.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jul 162010

CR-V

The contact owns a 2003 Honda CRV. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the air conditioner independently shut off. The dealer advised that the manufacturer was aware of the failure in his year, make and model. The dealer also advised that the air conditioner compressor could lock and the serpentine belt could fracture causing a loss of power steering. The manufacturer advised they would cover seventy-five percent of the total repair. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 61,000.

- York , PA, USA

Oct 152008

CR-V

2003 model Honda CRV entire A/C system failed at 60,000 miles, Honda America refused to cover the repair cost.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jun 232008

CR-V

My air conditioning in my '03 CRV stopped cooling. I took it in and after authorizing repairs found out that both fans had quit and the whole system was contaminated. Honda offered to split the difference with me so I paid half, about 1500 bucks. It seems to me that if over 800 complaints have been registered that Honda could do better by us loyal customers. I am thinking of Toyota next time.

- Carlsbad, Ca, CA, USA

Jun 262008

CR-V

This is in connection with the air conditioner compressor. Head a clicking noise when I pulled into my drive way. Opened the hood and noticed that the sound was coming from the compressor section. I turned off the switch to the air conditioner and the clicking noise stopped. I turned it back on and the compressor blew up with white steam. Took it to the dealer the following day and was told the compressor was cracked and that I need a new compressor, replaced with the clutch, coil filter to the tune of $1502 plus tax. I went on the internet to check on this issue and found a lot of identical complains dealing with the Honda CRV 2003 and 2004 series. Mine is 2003. Although there many other links, the one I noted was topix.com. Everyone complained about identical problems and diagnostics and cost. At the monet Honda America has decided to share the repair cost with me which I have accepted. But it seems that this is an occurring issue. Please let me know if others have filed similar complaints with you. Thanks

- Westampton, NJ, USA

Aug 082007

Air conditioning failure.

- Trujillo Alto, PR, USA

Jun 132007

CR-V 4-cyl

Not safety related. Air conditioner a(/C) compressor and clutch dryer replaced.2003 Honda CRV.45000miles this is something that should last a long time. Defect in compressor.make in Japan keihin EV0333564 hs-110R.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

May 102007

CR-V

2003 CRV - air conditioner started making clanging noise, then smoke came from under hood. Turned off air, took it to the dealer. They referred to the problem as the black death"because metal shards went everywhere and ruined the whole air conditioning assembly. Vehicle was 200 miles away from the end of the Honda extended warranty of 100,000 miles. Warranty covered completely new air conditioning system. If not for the warranty, dealer said, that the whole assembly alone at their cost would be $3800, not including labor.

- Brookville, IN, USA

Mar 252007

CR-V 4-cyl

Air conditioner went out at 36,000 miles no warning. Cost $1500. My extended warranty covered part but not all. Shredded metal all through out the air conditioner. Had to wait 7 hours for a repair as dealer 50 miles away Honda CRV 2003.

- Kewanee, IL, USA

Aug 262006

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

2003 Honda CR-V air conditioner failure. Grinding noise over the course of a few minutes, then complete failure. Repair shop said there were small metal parts throughout the system.

- Glencoe, CA, USA

Aug 242006

CR-V

I had a problem with the air-conditioning system in my 2003 Honda CR-V. when I took it to my dealership, I was told that the A/C system was not functioning and that metal shards from the compressor had traveled throughout the A/C system and condemned many components. The dealership was authorized replacement of the A/C components to be paid by Honda and the labor to be paid by me. The dealership informed me that the total bill would be approximately $2500 and that my portion would be approximately $700. I spoke with a csr and expressed my dissatisfaction with Honda¿'s decision. I told the csr that I wanted full reimbursement for the A/C problem because the car was only 2 ½ years old, this was not an isolated case and Honda was aware that it had a defective part(s). The csr encouraged me to take Honda¿'s deal stating that this is the best offer that I would be given and that if I continued to ¿¿push¿ my complaint that Honda could withdrawal the offer. I explained to her that I would accept the offer (despite being dissatisfied) and that once the car was fixed and the parts paid for by Honda, I would express my dissatisfaction again. I told her that I felt like I couldn't really make a valid complaint given the fact that the reimbursement could be withdrawn. Basically, I felt that Honda was saying ¿¿take it or leave it¿ the particulars don¿¿T matter. Needless to say, I am still dissatisfied with Honda¿'s position and I am asking for full reimbursement of all the work done in connection with the A/C system. I do not understand why this is not a recall item. I¿¿M also concerned that there may be safety risks given the fact that ¿¿metal shards traveled throughout the system and condemned many components". I do know that a 2 ½ year old car that has been well maintained should not have such a major problem.

- Granby, CT, USA

Aug 212006

CR-V 4-cyl

During operation of the vehicle a loud thump was heard then the air conditioner stopped operating. I pulled off the road thinking there was a flat tire. The vehicle was taken to a Honda dealer in tampa for inspection where it had been serviced. The problem is that the sealed A/C compressor failed and ingested an internal componet then distributed small parts though the sealed pressurized system thereby causing other A/C system componets to fail. This major failure requires a complete A/C system replacement. The service manager is aware of this failure and stated that Honda is aware of it as well. He estimates this occurs to 1 in 25 vehicles. The estimated repair cost is $2600 to $2800. The vehicle is a 2003 Honda CR-V with 50,000 miles. There has been one other documented complaint about this system on this model. Honda is reviewing at this time whether they will cover the cost of repair as this is an unusual failure. I am aware that this part was redesigned in 2004. Please investigate this because with no A/C system there is no defroster capabilities thereby creating visibility and safety concerns.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 072006

CR-V 4-cyl

Air conditioning failed twice in Honda CR-V. at 37,000 miles, and again at 56,000 miles.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 272006

CR-V 4WD

Dear reviewer of my complaint please take a look at the is website to better get a understanding of where I am going with this. townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0D3fb5/0. I own a 95 Accord with 130K and never had to get the compressor fixed....my wife's 2003 Honda CR-V 49,000 miles just went...Honda told me $1400+tax. I have a 1 year old daughter. You know how the weather gets here on the East cost in the summer? also I drive my 80 year old grandmother to the market and places she needs to go. What about when the windows fog up in the winter. How can you drive if you can't see. I could see if this was my 95 Accord A/C that went. I found that website of hundreds of complaints of 02, 03 and 04 Honda CR-V owners that the same thing happened to them. Some with on 20K miles. This should be a recall for a bad compessor. Maybe because people don't see it as a safety issue. I can drive without A/C and live, but when you need to Transport a baby or 80 yr old grandmother in 100 degree weather even hotter in the car with the windows down. Maybe it's the fact that they can put a crappy compressor in the car and have people come back and pay anywhere up to $2000 if there warranty expired. Then they tell you, you should of bought the extended warranty or that you should trade the car in and get a new one. You use the A/C just say 1/2 year. If this was the ABS, SRS or seat belts, there would be a recall to fix it.but for a bad part of the A/C nothing is done, A/C not a safety problem. From that website above "when driving down the road my compressor blew-up and parts where being spread all over the highway!. when windows fog up what are you to do. Have a rag next to you at all times to wipe your windows. I called Honda and they gave me a case number they know about this problem. Just don't want to make it public. Why would they be willing to pay for the parts and repair to other owners who called customer relations.

- Brookhaven, PA, USA

Jul 132006

CR-V 4-cyl

2003 Honda CRV A/C compressor blew apart while driving on highway @ 65 mph-a few pieces of it escaped onto the road surface-have been researching and found many similar complaints about the CRV compressor failing on 2001-2004 models. Please see website town-talk edmunds.com w/same problem. According to reports on that website, Honda has been replacing the compressor, for most, free of charge, but some vehicle owners are reporting that the problem is recurring...

- Asbury, NJ, USA

Sep 032005

CR-V 4WD

I was driving on the freeway and I heard a noise that sounded like something fell off the car. After the noise, the air conditioner was blowing out hot air. I turned the air conditioner off and went straight to the dealer. Since it was late in the day, the dealer could not look at the vehicle, but a mechanic told me "off the record" that the condenser probably fell off the vehicle, and that it will probably be expensive to fix. He said that this was a known problem with this particular make/model/year. I stopped using the air conditioner and returned at a later time to get the problem fixed. And sure enough the dealer wanted almost $3,000- to fix the problem. The problem was fixed, but I had to pay half the cost which I thought was unfair. My car has had all of its scheduled maintenance on time and performed by the dealer, so the car was in excellent condition. Why did the condenser fall off the car...and why did I have to pay for it"?" obviously, the part or parts are faulty from the manufacturer.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Apr 142006

CR-V

Without any prior problem or indication of a problem, something dropped off the bottom of my car into the road. At that exact moment, the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. I took the car to have it repaired only to find out that the A/C compressor had blown (and the clutch had fallen off). I have since found out that this is a very frequent occurrence with second generation Honda CR-V's. I am in the process of working with american Honda Motors as well as my dealership to have it repaired. Honda knows of this problem, and the part was redesigned for the 2004 model. This part needs a recall! how many people have to complain before there is a formal recall?

- Charlotte, TN, USA

Apr 182006

CR-V 4-cyl

I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 66,000 original miles. With no warning, the air compressor locked up, sending shards of metal throughout the a. C. system and ruining the whole system. Honda Corp. Of America is "checking my good customer status", with no return call thus far. The local dealership has assessed the a.C. to confirm the entire a.C. needs to be replaced for $2100. All the parts are in stock to fix the a.C. system, and the dealership admits to fixing this problem many times. Internet forums target this very problem, and Honda is not admitting faulty equipment.the a.C. has not been replaced, and I don't know if any other damage may occur from the a.C. system failure.

- Russellville, AL, USA

Jul 262005

CR-V 4WD

Consumer vehicle A/C stop working due to a bad compressor. The consumer was not satisfied with the length of time it was taking the sales dealer to rectify the problem, therefore the compressor was replaced by a local mechanic. The day after the repairs were made the compressor began making noise and the consumer could feel power draining. The consumer had to wait two weeks for another compressor.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jul 172005

CR-V 4-cyl

Contact stated the air conditioning quit working this week. The compressor disrupted into the engine. The vehicle is at the service dealer to determine if there was damage to the engine. The service mechanic stated there was shrapnel all over the engine. Also, there had been three other incidents where the air condition compressor disrupted. There was no evidence that there was anything wrong within the air conditioner. Consumer stated they heard a noise coming from the air conditioner, and then the consumer quit using the air conditioner. Consumer has contacted the manufacturer, and they told her to contact NHTSA.

- Durham, NC, USA