2005 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda CR-V:

2005 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 012007

CR-V 4-cyl

Headlight bulbs fail frequently (anywhere from approximately 3-6 months) for no apparent reason. Usually one side at a time. Normally, replacing the bulb has been an effective (if expensive) solution. However, most recently, replacing the bulb didn't fix the problem. Fuses are all O.K. from several on-line forums, this is a very well documented problem. There is currently an outstanding recall for this problem for model years 2002-2004 (NHTSA campaign number: 12V136000). From my research, this problem seems to be at least as prevalent (if not more so) in the 2005 and 2006 model years. Please expand the recall to include those model years and force Honda to own up to what appears to be a poor design issue. This is a safety issue.I have owned Honda for over 30 years, and exclusively for the last 9 years. I don't know what my next car will be, except that it won't be a Honda.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Nov 112013

CR-V 4-cyl

On 5 occasions in the past 3 years the drivers side head light went out. Fuse was good.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Jul 172012

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. the contact stated the air conditioner made a high pitch sound. The dealer recharged the air conditioner; however, that did not stop the high pitch sound. The dealer also checked the compressor and belts, but found no problems. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was 62,000.

- Philidelphia, PA, USA

Jan 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the driver's side window could not be closed or opened completely when the driver's side window switch was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V486000 (electrical system, visibility) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

May 312013

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while parked with the key out of the ignition, the engine continued to run. After the engine stopped running, there was a clicking sound. The contact noticed smoke coming from the driver's side door panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign number: 12V486000 (electrical system, visibility). The contact stated the recall may be related to the engine failure she experienced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Kittery, ME, USA

Oct 012008

Low beam headlights have been blowing on a regular basis since Oct. 2008. They last anywhere from a few weeks to a couple years each. Both sides are affected by this. Have had a local mechanic replace each time. I didn't realize this was a widespread problem with Honda until researching it today. Recalls are in place starting with the '06 model. I have seen several comments from other '05 owners with the same problem and the costly solution offered to them. The '05 Cr-vs need to be added to this recall.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Jan 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

I have had to replace the low beam headlights on my 2005 CR-V several times in the past year alone (at least 4 times that I can remember). The lights go out randomly while driving (the exact speed is unknown). This obviously presents a very great safety hazard, and I am very concerned as my wife and newborn baby sometimes use this car. The last time we had the bulbs replaced, there appeared to be scorch marks on the wire connector that attaches to the back of the headlight assembly. There are many forum posts on the internet of drivers who have similar issues to mine with the same model year (2005) and also with 2006 Cr-vs. Here is "one" of the forum threads containing such posts: if you could please investigate this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Jan 012011

CR-V 4-cyl

We bought our 2005 CR-V SE in sum 10 and love the vehicle. Since then however, we've had to change headlight bulbs approximately 10 to 12 times. Sometimes a single bulb, sometimes both... they simply go out every couple of months. We even had to ride home one night with "high beams" because the both low beams simply failed. The next day we purchased new bulbs, installed them on the CR-V, and now the low-beams work, but the high beams do not. It's kind of getting old buying new bulbs every few months! my problem/concern is the fact that we have a known recall for a extremely similar issue on 2002 thru 2004 CR-V models. That recalls summary states: "due to tension from the combination switch wiring harness, wear on the surface of the electrical terminal can occur, yielding copper oxide, which increases electrical resistance. Increased electrical resistance may cause the terminal ends to melt within the wiring harness connector." The consequence listed on this recall is: "if the terminal ends melt within the wiring harness connector, the low beam headlights may become inoperative, reducing driver visibility and increasing the risk of a crash." Based on our experience, it seems the recall listed above should be expanded to include the 2005 CR-V models as well. We've looked at current recalls for our vehicle under the Honda owners site and there are none listed for our VIN... ? Honda may want to re-visit this recalls coverage before any other 2005 CR-V owner's headlights go out in the middle of the night while driving... this is a major safety concern!

- Schertz, TX, USA

Oct 192007

On Oct. 19,2007 I heard a pop inside my door, the window failed. I had to have a new window regulator assembly installed. Honda has recalled this model but has failed to do any thing about it.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Aug 202012

The driver side power lock cannot be locked or unlocked on the driver side with my key button. I have to manually lock and unlock the driver side door with my key. The rest of the locks work fine with the key button.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Oct 172012

CR-V 4-cyl

Headlights keep burning out. I have replaced them four times in the past two months. The dashboard lights are burning out too. I had to replace the glove box light, the temperatue control, air conditioning, recirculate, odometer lights. Now the RPM light is starting to go. It is getting very expensive to be replacing all these lights. The headlights are $8.99 each and I paid $230 to replace the dash lights. After replaceing the dash lights, when I use the remote to unclock my car, all the dash lights blink three times (they never did that before). I also noticed that when I turn on my turn signal I hear a high pitch noise. I am worried that my headlights will go out when the store is closed and I can't get it fixed. I may get a ticket or get into an accident. I drive to and from work in the dark. Also what if both headlights go out at the same time, that could be dangerous. I worry that my spedometer may go I and I won't know how fast I am going. I have told the dealer that I think there is an electrical problem, but they insist there is not. I do not agree with them.

- Avon, OH, USA

Jul 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

The headlights no longer work. We can use the fog lights and the brights but not the headlights. We've had the bulbs and the fuses changed without any result. Other years for this same model have been recalled for this issue, but not the 2005 as of yet.

- Portage, MI, USA

Dec 012011

CR-V 4-cyl

Driver and sidepower windows switch malfunctions, render powerless, heats up and fail to operate.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Oct 112012

CR-V 4-cyl

Vehicle was parked and unattended in outside parking space over night and driver side window switch not working - fire occurred and started on driver side door - before fire driver window was not working.

- Danville, NH, USA

Aug 262012

The driver side master window switch failed causing the part to get very hot, melt, and emit smoke from the switch. This could have very easily started a large fire in the vehicle. Once the switch is melted, it shorts out the circuit causing the fuses to pop and the window will no longer operate. I contacted a Honda dealership and discovered the same part # used in the 2006 model is recalled for this very same reason. I believe this affects more parts than are covered by the recall as a quick look on the web uncovered several more cases for 2005 models.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Feb 152011

CR-V 4-cyl

My Honda CR-V has had the headlights go out approximately 8 times in the last 18 months. They usually go out one at a time, but this past weekend, they both went out simultaneously. Honda says this is a recall for 2002 to 2004 CR-V for a wiring issue on the low beam headlights, but 2005 is not included. I believe there is defective wiring in my headlight system and should be covered by a recall.

- Louisville, CO, USA

May 172011

CR-V 4-cyl

My front left head lamp bulb has gone out two times in approx 1 year, the 2nd replacment of the front left headlamp bulb was done approx 3 weeks ago, within the last week the right side headlamp has gone out. I don't drive off road in any way, this vehicle is stricktly used for highway communiting.replacement was done all times by a bonafide mechanic.this appears to be a defect of some type.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jul 152010

CR-V 4-cyl

Please extend NHTSA existing investigation into headlamps on the 2002-2004 models into model year 2005 and forward. We have replaced the low beam headlamp bulbs multiple times in the past year and a half. The most recent bulb replacement burned out within 2 months. We have received a ticket for a headlamp out. Our mechanic replaced not only the drivers' side bulb but the assembly that the bulb fits into - lasted less than 8 weeks. The next step is the harness and that is extremely expensive and may not fix the problem. See owner forum website: thank you

- Auburndale, MA, USA

Aug 152010

The electronic door opener locked the car even when keyes in ignition. I was locked out of the car twice with the keyes in the ignition, and on several occasions I was unable to open driver side door, and had to exit vehicle from passenger door. Dealer replaced locking mechanism.

- Austin , TX, USA

Oct 312008

Our insured took their 2006 Honda CRV for maintenance. One week later after oil change & differential service - auto caught on fire while in travel. Insured auto fire originated at right front under hood.

- Tempe, AZ, USA