0.6

2005 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda CR-V:

2005 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

May 012016

CR-V

Air conditioner compressor locking

- Neshanic Station, NJ, USA

Oct 042014

• 1,800,000 miles
My husband was on the way home after a visit to Georgia, he was just West of tallahassee when thee car started acting like it was out of gas, jumping and bucking. He managed to get it off the interstate and that was it no pulling no nothing. We called our insurance because, back in April we had a accident and the car had to go back into the shop several for different reasons, each time my husband said "the transmission is not acting right, there is slack action even on the day he left which believe was 29th of September he stopped at the Honda dealership here in pensacola and was told "you have a little water but should be ok. Well by the end of the week, in the middle of the night the car is on the side of the road and undrivable. Towed back to tallahassee and found a motel (only room available 200$ a night. I got my car back yesterday to the tune $4607 wow!!!!! is there any information on transmission problems" we think it was caused by the accident or at the least the accident helped the demise of the transmission. In your opinion is this possible" still very hard to steer. For several months there was severe pulling to the left, they finally found the front strut was pulled out of the arms that holds it in place, just lying on top, I believe the force of the other car hitting ours caused this problem, and the insurance paid this but they are saying the accident did not cause the transmission problems.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jul 092014

CR-V 4-cyl

I stopped at a gas station and got gas. I turned off the air conditioning before turning off the engine, as always. Got in and started the car, turned on the A/C, and it blew hot air. I kept trying it all the way home and nothing but hot air. The next day I noticed a ticking sound under the hood when it was idling. Mid summer, but no money to bring it in. One month later the ticking under the hood got progressively worse so I took it in for a free A/C check. Turns out the whole A/C system needs to be replaced (estimate $1000) compressor w/clutch, orifice tube, receiver/dryer, and re-charge. Thousands of online complaints and potential hazards. Ticking could be caused by all of this, or loose valves, exhaust manifold, etc... contacting Honda, to see what they can do...

- Lake George, NY, USA

Jun 302014

CR-V

The car was making noise diagnosed by Honda as the transmission pump. Car had only 79,000 miles and was serviced regularly and all fluids are changed regularly. I had the transmission fixed elsewhere for half the price Honda wanted. I N, ever heard of a transmission problem at such a low mileage. Very disappointed in Honda.

- Dix Hills, NY, USA

Aug 032014

CR-V 4-cyl

After starting the car I put my foot on the brake pedal, took off the emergency brake, and put the car into drive. My foot was still on the brake, but the car took off at a high speed as if I had floored the gas pedal, and would not stop with my foot still on the brake pedal. I threw the gear into park and turned off the ignition. This same thing happened to me in September 2009 while I was driving on the long island expressway. At that time the brake would not stop the car, so I put the car in neutral and pulled off the road, put the car in park and turned off the ignition. In September 2009 I called the Honda dealer about the problem and was told not to bring the car in, that I must have had the mat jammed on top of the gas pedal. That was not the case today or in 2009. This isba deadly dangerous problem. Please investigate this and put out an alert on tv to all car owners that if their car should get stuck in acceleration mode they should put the car in neutral and turn off the ignition. Thank you.

- Dix Hills, NY, USA

May 312013

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while parked with the key out of the ignition, the engine continued to run. After the engine stopped running, there was a clicking sound. The contact noticed smoke coming from the driver's side door panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign number: 12V486000 (electrical system, visibility). The contact stated the recall may be related to the engine failure she experienced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Kittery, ME, USA

Sep 052012

CR-V 4-cyl

The air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. An independent service technician diagnosed the problem as the compressor bearings failing internally and causing a hole in the casing. The estimate is $1350 to replace the compressor, condenser, expansion valve and flush the system of fragments that may have entered the system. After a phone call to american Honda I am told there is no safety recall on this issue and my vehicle is outside it's warranty period. Since the repairs have already been started, I am unable to take the vehicle to an authorized Honda dealership for diagnosis. Honda's position is they do not have contracts with independent service providers so they are unable to assist me.this 2005 Honda CRV has 90,000 miles and joins the ranks of other Honda with similar uncompensated repairs for air conditioner failure.

- Bonita , CA, USA