2005 Honda CR-V lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda CR-V:

2005 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 152016

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. the contact had to replace the front low beam headlights six times within four months. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 94,700.

- Kansas, MO, USA

Aug 052015

While driving across country from Arkansas to Washington with my 22 year old son in his vehicle his headlights went out on very dark, curvy roads while he was driving. We were out in an area with no resources. We were able to use his high beams fortunately until we could get to a safe location. Since then the light bulbs fail frequently approximately 2-3 months for no apparent reason. Usually one light at a time, constantly replacing bulbs. This a very well documented problem. And [obviously] a poor design issue. There is currently an outstanding recall for this problem for model years 2002-2004 (NHTSA campaign number: 12V136000). From my research, this problem seems to be at least as prevalent (if not more so) in the 2005 and 2006 model years. Please expand the recall to include those model years and force Honda to own up to what appears to be a poor design issue. This is a [major] safety issue and an ongoing problem.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Jun 132016

Drivers side headlight low beam went out while driving. Bought replacement bulb and put in but low beam still didn't work.

- Ocesndide, CA, USA

May 012016

The halogen bulbs in my headlights frequently burn out. They always have, but I didn't know so many other owners were dealing with the same issue. This is dangerous. I just learned that Honda issued a recall for this very same problem for years 2002-2004. There are numerous complaints for this same issue on record for 2005. Honda needs to include the 2005 model for this recall and correct this defect. Why aren't they responding to this issue?

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Mar 262016

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. while driving 55 mph, the low beam headlights burned out without warning on the drivers side of the vehicle. The contact was pulled over by law enforcement regarding the issue. The vehicle was repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 166,520.

- Girard, PA, USA

Apr 102016

Headlights (halogen) burn out within months of install, repeatedly.

- Riverside, CA, USA

May 302006

Headlights keeps needing to be replaced every 4 to 6 weeks since CR-V purchased new. Honda shops states nothing wrong, they know water is in "well" where light bulb is housed when I go to change it. Have spent hundreds of dollars, on bulbs and fuses. Now passenger side light totally will not work due to short from water damage. I have both go out at once while driving at night, talk about a real safety hazard. Something has to be done. I have kept silent for too long. Bubs usually blow with rain, or motion ( heavy). I notice after oil changes within a day or two it goes, even if I have just replaced it prior to the oil change.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Jan 132016

The headlights keep burning out every 3-6 months, this can't be normal. I keep reading complaints online from others experiencing the exact same thing but Honda is not taking responsibility. Besides being costly, time-consuming and annoying, it is a safety hazard and it is illegal, you can get a ticket for driving with a burnt light. In addition the light on my dashboard has gone out, and the 2 rear doors electrical locks do not work.

- Oldsmar, FL, USA

Feb 082016

I have replaced several low-beam headlight bulbs over the past 5 years (less than 60K miles). Thought it was poor quality bulbs but this time both new bulbs (1- month old) went out while driving on highway. Could have been a disaster luckily high beams worked. Reading several complaints and recalls, it doesn't seem to be a bulb issue but rather a necessity for a wiring switch/harness recall. Previous years had the recall and it looks like the recall needs to expand in model years

- Jacobstown, NJ, USA

Jun 102013

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the low beam headlights failed several times. The headlights were replaced by the contact and the dealer on several occasions but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V136000 (exterior lighting) and 12V136000 (exterior lighting). The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Murphy, TX, USA

Dec 102015

The contact owns a 2005 Honda CR-V. while driving 55 mph, the headlights malfunctioned and dimmed without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,795.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Nov 122015

My headlights have been failing since I bought the vehicle 3 years ago. I've xhanged a multitude of lights, had the combination switch cleaned 3 times and finally put in a new switch, all with no results. So I found a recall EA11012 and Honda says it's not for my VIN number. This has been an ongoing problem for CRV's. it happens when driving and is a safety and fire issue.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Jul 092011

For the last four years, I have had to replace headlight bulbs due to unexplained failure. I have needed to replace bulbs anywhere from one to six months. I would like my vehicle to be recalled for electrical system:wiring:interior/under dash exterior lighting:headlights exterior lighting:headlights:high/low beam dimmer switch exterior lighting:headlights:switch

- Milliken, CO, USA

Feb 152011

CR-V 4-cyl

Front driver side headlight keeps burning out. I have to keep changing it every few months. Now, it appears that the headlight has electrical issues. Low beam is very dim and the high beam does not work. I also experienced other type of electrical issues. Very often, the fuel cap warning light comes on. I check every time and the cap is screwed on tightly. After a few time turning my car off and on the light goes out. Also, after I drive my car, it always smells like burned plastic. My research on indicates that many other owners of the same year make and model had not only similar but same issues with their headlights. Can something be done about this? I will have to have my headlight fixed and will cost me a lot $$$$.

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Jan 232015

CR-V 4-cyl

This is the second time in the past four months that my front driver side headlight has burnt out. This is one of many electrical issues with this vehicle (2005 CR-V) including the check engine light (O2 sensor) and rear passenger side brake light and several interior lights as well. There is an issue with the electrical system of this car, but Honda seems not to care and will not do anything about it. Please help!

- Warrington, PA, USA

Oct 172014

CR-V 4-cyl

Was driving on highway at 55 mph at night and the headlights dimmed and the dashboard lights started to blink and then both low beam headlights went out. We had to drive 6 miles home with only high beams working. Had head lights and battery replaced and worked until Dec, 14,2014. Again driving at night at 55 mph on highway the lights dimmed, dashboard lights started blinking and then both low beams went out. Again had to drive home with high beams only. After having the low beams replaced the first time all gauges failed-gas gauge, odometer and speedometer. After turning the car off and restarting all gauges started working again. This could be very dangerous for me when headlights blow and for other cars on the road as I need to drive with high beams on. From what I have read Honda has recalls on other years of the CRV for the same issue but not on 2005.

- Green Lake, WI, USA

May 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

Since purchasing the vehicle, I have replaced the low beam headlight on the passenger side five times. Recently, the driver side headlight burnt out, but simply replacing the bulb did not work.

- Walsenburg, CO, USA

Nov 122014

CR-V 4-cyl

The passenger side headlight went out in the middle of October. When I went to replace the bulb I noticed the element was not broken inside the bulb. At that point I took it into the dealership. The mechanic took the bulb from the passenger's side headlight and put it into the driver's side headlight and took the driver's side headlight and put it into the passenger's side headlight. He did not replace either bulb. This appeared to fix the problem because both headlights were bright when turned on. About a month later in the middle of November, again the passenger side headlight went out. It was the same problem as before, the bulb was in perfect shape but not shining. I took it back to the dealer again and this time the mechanic was not able to resolve the issue by the same means as before (switching light bulbs) or by replacing them with new bulbs. The dealership told me I need to replace the entire wiring for the passenger side headlight which is going to cost $1600.

- Kapaa, HI, USA

Jan 192005

The low-beam headlights on my 2005 Honda CR-V burn out after an unusually short time. Over my years of owning the 2005 Honda CR-V which I bought in 2004, the low beam bulbs burn out annually. Now, the driver side low-beam bulb. All bulbs I have used as replacements have been oem brand names: Either sylvania or philips. Headlights are critical for nighttime safety. The headlight failure problem on 2005 Honda CR-V vehicles is a safety problem. I have now replaced both the headlights entirely with new parts.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Mar 052008

CR-V 4-cyl

I have replaced both the high beam and low beam bulbs a total of 17 times. This is a common problem with the Honda CR-V's with no resolution. Honda uses a unique connection at the bulb which I believe may be the culprit.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA