2008 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda CR-V:

2008 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Jan 152014

CR-V 4-cyl

The front passenger and left rear passenger door locks malfunction by staying unlocked even after locking or locking when the unlock key is pressed.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 182014

CR-V 4-cyl

Another door lock failure. Key would not unlock door. Passenger door lock sticking and locking by itself. Got locked out of the car when the battery died and the key remote would not work with no power. I had 3 sets of keys in my hand but could not get in my car. Had to replace the key cylinder, cable, and both front latch assemblies at a cost of over $700. How many complaints until Honda accepts responsibility for defective lock assemblies? if Honda is reading this, I will not do future business with a company that does not stand behind their product when there is an obvious defect.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 192013

CR-V 4-cyl

The air compressor had to be replaced at a cost of over $700. Theres was not even 100,000 miles on the car yet when this had to be done.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 192013

Drivers door lock kept locking and unlocking while driving it or in park. Had to pay $160 to have the door lock actuator replaced in July 2013. Now the rear doors are starting to making a strange sound when locking or unlocking the doors. This is the sound the came before the locks actually started to malfunction on the front door. Why isn't Honda being held responsible for all these actuator problems?

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 152010

CR-V 4-cyl

My 2008 Honda CRV in 2010 began having problems with the rear door lock and then the hatch lock. When I put the rear door lock into child safety mode and took it off child safety mode, the door lock would not unlock. It kept locking and I would have to manually press down on the lock button in order to open the door from the outside. I took it to a Honda car dealership service dept. And was told it was the actuator and it happens often to Honda vehicles and it would cost me $380 to repair it even thought the part I was told was actually only $80 dollars. To me and to everyone else this has happened to, this is obviously a manufacturer's defect if it happens often to Honda vehicles. I refused the repair because it was very expensive. Later in a few weeks, my hatch would not unlock unless the defective rear door lock was also unlocked. Now, it is 2014 and as of Friday, 2/28/14, all my locks are now locking immediately after I used my automatic door unlock on my key fob. I can't even get into my car unless I'm quick about it before it locks on me again. Then when I want to get out of my car and the door unlocks, before I can even open the door to get out of my car, all the locks lock up again without my having done anything. This is a safety hazard for me and my family. The door locks are defective and Honda should take responsibility to fix these defects. Here is the link to which has a list of complaints by other Honda CRV owners having the same defective issues: Is it necessary for Honda driver or their children or other family member go to their grave until this defect is addressed? I urge the NHTSA board to read all the complaints and take action to make Honda set a recall for this defect so that Honda CRV and other Honda vehicle owners are safer on the road.

- Pasadenda, CA, USA

May 292013

CR-V 4-cyl

Door locks automatically unlock when lock switch pressed.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 132013

CR-V 4-cyl

Doors lock and unlock without prompting. Doors also make awful noise when they lock and unlock whenever they want. The key also does not work to unlock the door any longer. I had to always leave a window down because you could be locked out even with the keys in your hand. I had this fixed back in April 2013 at my own expense since it is not under recall and now it is happening again. Major safety issue: You can be unable to get out of the car in case of an emergency. Also, with the doors locking and unlocking it creates a major safety hazard for children riding in the car.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jan 282013

CR-V 4-cyl

After putting in gear and starting out, left rear door lock will lock then unlock itself and then stay unlocked. It also unlocks itself after parking and locking the car. Unsafe for passengers and no security when parked.

- Banning, CA, USA

Dec 222013

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

Front passenger door will not unlock. Problem is related to the door actuator. Car fob or internal door controls will not unlock front passenger door. Concern is that a passenger in front passenger seat will not be able to quickly exit the car if required in an emergency without climbing across to another door. Issue occurs at all speeds or when car is in the park position.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Dec 022013

CR-V 4-cyl

I was ready to leave work when I pressed the unlock button on my key remote I noticed the car didn't unlock. I tried several more times and still nothing. I decided to try and unlock the car manually with the key and realized that wasn't working either all could do at that point was call a locksmith who after several tries was able to open the driver door which in turn allowed the rest of the doors to unlock. I called the local Honda dealership and was told they had never heard of the car not being able to open manually and offered no other solution to my problem. After looking online I noticed this is a very common problem for Honda CRV's 2007 and newer. There is an issue of the door actuators. This could potentially be a life threatening defect as the doors open or lock on their own.

- Santa Ana , CA, USA

Mar 092013

My rear driver's side door lock would not lock. I took my CR-V into the dealer and they said my actuator needed to be replaced. I had just bought the car, used, 3 months previously. I've read online that several people have had the same problem! this needs to be recalled! recently (11/27/13) my doors are now starting to unlock and lock on their own as well! I read that this might be due to other actuatiors needing to be replaced! I've always had a Honda but if this problem isn't resolved I will never again own a Honda!!! recall now!!!

- Germantown, MD, USA

Nov 262012

CR-V 4-cyl

The automatic door locks do not function properly. They lock and unlock several times while I am driving the vehicle. When I park, I am unable to lock my car securely. I also have difficulty unlocking the doors at times. This is very unsafe in my neighborhood.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Oct 262013

I was leaving the grocery store and used my key fob to unlock the car doors. I tried to lift the rear door (hatch-back) to load groceries. The door would not open. I tested all my doors and found that my front passenger door would not unlock either using the key fob. I tried both doors multiple times without any luck. Once inside the car (through the driver's door) I tried to manually unlock the front passenger door. I couldn't get it unlocked. The lock was stuck fast. I could not enter or exit out the passenger side door. (I did not climb over the seats to try and exit out the back hatch door.) this presents a safety hazard for obvious reasons. I tried daily over the next week to enter or exit out those 2 doors. I couldn't budge either one. I took it to the Honda dealership. The technician was able to get the front passenger door and the rear door to open. I was told the actuator on the front door was going out. The rear door was a different problem. It will cost me $450 to fix the two parts.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Nov 022013

Pre-mature door lock actuator failure. Actuator fails causing the door locks to not unlock electronically as a result of failed electronic door lock actuators.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Oct 132013

It started with the front passenger door lock. It makes a weird noise and will not lock or unlock correctly. Sometimes locks and unlocks on it's own. Now at least 3 of the 4 doors are doing the same thing.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Jul 082013

CR-V 4-cyl

The passenger side door lock starting locking and unlocking erratically. It has steadily become worse and now will not lock unless you click the door locker over and over and sometimes will not lock at all. The dealership tells me that I have a problem every time I take the car in to have it serviced along with an amount of $230 to fix it. I have read hundreds of complaints on the internet about people having the same problem with this year model and many, many other year models. Clearly this is a problem!! I hope that Honda will step up and recall this before someone gets hurt although I did read about children being locked in the car after being buckled in and the parent went to get in the car and couldn't. I also found a class action suit that has been filed against them. It is time for Honda to make a recall!!

- Brandon, MS, USA

Oct 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

For a while, the door lock system locks and unlock continuously while driving. I have taken the car to the dealership but was told nothing is wrong. This morning, the car cannot be unlocked with the key or the remote. When I push the lock or unlock button, a grinding noise can be heard coming from the driver door.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 192013

CR-V 4-cyl

Passenger side door lock will not stay unlocked. Either manually unlocked or automatic such as when the transmission is put in park position. This causes a potential safety problem for any passenger sitting in the passenger location. They cannot conveniently exit the vehicle at any time.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Oct 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

The front passenger side door locks itself immediately when trying to unlock. A passenger would be unable to exit the vehicle unless they exit the driver side or one of the rear doors. I notice this problem when the vehicle is stopped at 0 mph and in the park position.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Sep 272013

CR-V 4-cyl

The first incident involved the back gate which would not unlock with the key fob. I tried locking/unlocking from the driver's interior door controls and also with the key fob. Attempts were made with the car running, ignition turned to accessory, and also with the car turned off. Nothing corrected the problem. This persisted into the next day when it started working without any particular intervention beyond my previous attempts. The problem reappeared a few days later, only now it is the front passenger door. I lock the car with the key fob, but the passenger door remains unlocked. The same is true when attempting to lock using the switch on the driver's door. Like others who have posted on this site, this car also attempts to lock/unlock at unexpected times well above the usual speed where the automatic lock normally operates. This is a safety and security risk. My young passengers are at risk if the locks disengage. My property is not secure if the locks are not reliable. My personal safety is at risk if my alarm system fails to secure all doors. It is unsettling to consider the consequence of being unexpectedly trapped inside the car. It is equally troublesome to drive the car not knowing if my children and I may become locked out in the dark, in a parking deck, or in a remote location during travel. Repairing each lock as it fails is a risky gamble, but I cannot afford to replace actuators (approx $250 X 5 doors) on every door as a preemptive repair, either.

- Gardendale, AL, USA