2008 Honda CR-V miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda CR-V:

2008 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 142016

Driver rear door lock actuator makes a clicking sound.. keeps locking and unlocking while car is in motion on surface streets. Took it in to dealer who advise there was recall on door lock actuators only for front passenger and driver side. Recall does not pertain to the rear door lock actuators. Paid total $259.25 for parts and labor to have this repaired at dealer on Sept 14, 2016. I believe this problem should have also been covered by the recall. First took car in on Aug 25, 2016 for takata recall. I was also advised by tech that they had done check on Honda service safety recall 14-083 door lock actuator pud. Invoice 552018 8/25/2016 my question is why recall was for only front door lock actuator when the rear door lock actuators have the same problem?? invoice 555643 9/14/2016

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 292016

Passenger door lock un-latched and re-latched while driving down the road. When attempting to exit vehicle after parking the door latch is stuck and will not let you out. Also it now makes a horrible loud noise when the auto-door locks activate after accelerating, or when attempting to lock or unlock doors with key fob.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Aug 012016

Front passenger lock jamming. Power steering reservoir bubbling and making a whirring noise.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jul 292016

Driver side rear locks periodically unlock on their own. The driver's actuator was replaced via recall. Dealer refused to replace other actuators claiming that recall has expired.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jul 212016

Rear driver-side door unlocks by itself immediately after being locked and will not stay in the locked position. Honda acknowledged that these door lock actuators were defective and issued a "product update" on the driver's door and extended the warranty 3 additional years on all other doors. The extended warranty has now expired and Honda will no longer replace defective locks on any doors other than the driver's door. All door locks have the same problem, but they don't all fail at the same time or within the extended warranty period. Called Honda and was told "there is nothing we can do for you."

- Bow, NH, USA

Jul 252016

Takata recall - I first received a recall letter from Honda regarding the airbag recall form 2008 CRV last winter. The letter said parts would not be available until summer, and they would notify me then as to replacing the airbags. I began calling two local dealers who said they did not have the parts, but would notify me when they do. Meanwhile, I have to keep driving the "unsafe" vehicle. I continue to call them, they do have my information on file, and I make them verify that by giving me the VIN number each time I call so I know I am in the queue. Meanwhile, today I received a letter from Honda saying it is important that I respond. Do I still own the vehicle" they have my VIN number. I would hope that when the dealer records it in the waiting list, the data would be uploaded to Honda's database. Apparently not, the number is on the letter. But that's just one of the many annoyances. My biggest issue is that I have a vehicle that they are telling me is very unsafe for me or a passenger, yet they expect me to continue using this vehicle until they decide to fix it.. I would think they have huge liability. In addition, a friend had the airbags replied in her civic last winter at the same dealer, diamond valley Honda in hemet, California. What is this" please look into this. In spite of Honda's pr efforts (and money spent), neither they nor the dealer display any true sense of urgency in protecting the safety of the owners. I have owned only Honda vehicles since 1980, and sorry to say this definitely taints my loyalty.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Mar 052015

The moon roof exploded out ward while on the free way. It cost $900 to replace.

- Empire, CA, USA

Jun 132016

Door lock actuator fails. Front passenger door will no longer lock, causing the doors to try and repeatedly lock while driving. The door locks for a brief second and then the lock slides open. This is a known problem. Honda issued a recall for the driver door lock actuator only. They issued a warranty extension for the remaining doors until November 2015, but the passenger front door lock actuator on my car did not have any issues until June 2016 so the dealership will do nothing about it. This is a safety hazard and a known problem. Honda should recall all 4 door lock actuators.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Jun 052016

Ever since I bought the car every time the weather gets hot and I have my ac on or try to start the car it turns off. Even when I'm driving he car turns off I have took it to mechanic shops and hey have ran it through the diagnostics and still cannot find the problem. I have change the battery, fuel pump, alternator, ignition switch, fuel relay, and gave it a tune up but still can't figure out why it turns off and Honda says my car is fine but it's not! please I need answers of why my car is doing this

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 022016

Vehicle was in motion, brakes started to vibrate & upon taking it to the dealership was informed that the problem with the brakes is is a faulty ABS module. This was after new brakes had been installed, new rotors, paid to have the brake system bled twice (about $700). To install a new ABS module, the cost is $2,100 just for the part from Honda. The car is now dangerous to drive without the part. Honda dealership service shop foreman informed me this is a common occurrence on these cars. In addition, I received a letter that there is a takata airbag recall for this car in March, now it is April and those new parts have not been received by the dealer yet. I have a car sitting in my driveway that is not safe to drive now 1) it needs a $2100 part, which the service foreman tells me is not guaranteed to last because they are faulty; and 2) there is an airbag part that is not available at any dealership that I have checked; and 3) the factory alarm will not set, I have had it checked by two Honda dealerships and they do not know what is wrong with it. This car is not safe to drive.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 042016

Had door lock fixed due to recall in the past, door continues to lock on its own and sometimes not unlock at all make it a safety issue if someone needs to get out of the vehicle quickly

- Auburn, MA, USA

Apr 012016

Honda issued a "notice" about the locks malfunctioning on the CRV but this is more of a serious issue that deserves a recall. If you missed the deadline for the "notice" then you have to pay to have your locks repaired. They are locking and unlocking by themselves while traveling down the highway. This is unsafe for more than one reason. For one it allows children to open the door due to it not being locked and they could fall out. It also allows for someone to open your door and get in without you having control over it. The doors unlock at any rate of speed and will not stay locked when you relock them. This is only fixed by having the lock actuator replaced which many people can't afford since it happens on all 4 doors of this vehicle. This is a serious safety hazard.

- Theodore, AL, USA

Mar 062016

After parking my car, while unlocking the doors, the rear driver side door was not getting unlocked. So I manually unlocked the door from inside and after that the rear driver side door is never getting locked again. This is a very difficult situation as already the front passenger door actuator is broken and now the rear driver side door is not getting locked at all. Now I am feeling very insecure by using this vehicle. I would like Honda to fix both these problems at no cost to me.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 012016

I have key with door locks on it, when I unlock the car, it automatically locks again, without pushing the other button to lock it. Also, the A/C has been fixed 4 times and within a week, just blows out warm air, have taken to several mechanics, Honda dealer/garage says they wont fix unless there is a recall

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Jul 112015

A/C started blowing out warm air. I called local Honda service and was told no recall for my VIN# but I could bring it in for $115 diagnostic charge. Honda extended warranty to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles whichever comes first to replace A/C compressor clutch and field coil if needed but my vehicle has 110,000 miles on it so it would not be covered. I read numerous complaints about this issue and if there is a defect then Honda should add to recall so this is covered. I read something about a class action lawsuit that was filed and settled already in 2011/2012 for ac problems with Honda.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 182015

Air conditioner clutch failure... repair cost ~$750. There was a class action lawsuit (now closed). Honda should issue a recall and make good for repair cost!

- Mims, FL, USA

Jun 012010

Ongoing problem from when I purchased the CR-V in 2010. Many times when shifting into reverse there is an loud, audible clunking as the gears grind. I've been parked next to other CR-V's and noticed the same noise as the CR-V is put into reverse. This must be a common problem. Also the doors were locking and unlocking on their own while I was driving, and I had to have the lock mechanisms on all 4 passenger doors replaced. Lastly there is an annoying whistling noise in the duct work for the heat and A/C. I have to keep the recycle button on to somewhat diminish it.

- Sedona, AZ, USA

Sep 242013

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

My car's rear door lock is malfunctioning. When I drive, the door locks and unlocks by itself repetitively. When I get out of the car and try to lock it, that door unlocks by itself. Even if I am driving, the passenger can open the door but the car light wont light up and my dashboard wont tell me that the door is open. I found online that this is a mass problem with countless other cars made around the same year. I attempted to call the dealer but they would not do anything for me.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 132013

The power door lock on the front passenger door will not stay locked. As soon as you lock it manually or with the key fob, it will slowly unlock itself. This occurs if the car is parked or in motion. It will lock itself if the auto accelerates over 10mph, but then will again slowly unlock seconds later and will stay in the unlock position. This in turn defeats the security system, making it ineffective, allowing the passenger door to be opened without setting off the alarm. I attempted to reset the locking mechanism as stated in the owner's manual but it does not fix the issue.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 072012

The door actuator on the front passenger and driver side started to act up. At first when locking the door, the door slowly unlock itself, but over the period of couple of days the door started to make jamming mechanism noise (click, click, click...). now every time when I drive, the car doors mechanism does not sense that the door is locked, and always get jammed trying to lock the door (even though the doors already is locked).

- Tempe, AZ, USA