CarComplaints.com Notes: While the 2009 CR-V still came equipped with tires that wear out faster than my Grandpa after a turkey dinner, Honda did address an electrical problem with the door locks that plagued owners of previous model years.

2009 Honda CR-V drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda CR-V:

2009 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Oct 052016

CR-V

My 2009 Honda CR-V experienced a series of sudden accelerations that began when backing out of my driveway. I immediately turned the ignition off, shifted to park, then restarted the engine. Once again, the engine RPM spiked to over 4,000 RPM before I got the engine turned off. It did the same thing on the next try, going to full power upon starting before I could get the ignition turned off. On the third try, it started and idled as normal.

- Royal, AR, USA

Sep 012016

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2009 Honda CR-V. while the vehicle was stopped, the shift lever was placed in the park position, with the engine running, but the vehicle began to roll away. The vehicle crashed into a pond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the shift lever failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 108,000. Updated 10/26/16

- Cushing, ME, USA

Jan 212015

CR-V 4-cyl

I opened the automatic garage door after starting the vehicle to put the vehicle in the garage. When the door of the garage opened there was a plastic recycle can in the middle of where the car was to be parked. I got out of the car after placing the transmission in park to move the recycle can. I had to go around the back of the car to enter the garage as a bush blocked my way into the garage on the driver's side. As I walked around the passenger side of the car I pushed the side view mirror in (the entrance to the garage is tight with the mirrors in the extended position). I went into the garage and was putting the recycle can away when the vehicle came into the garage on its own. I thought I could open the driver side door and put the car in neutral or hit the brake but the vehicle was coming toward me and I could see that the vehicle was going to hit an extension in the garage wall where the powder room was inside the house. I backed away from the vehicle's driver side door as I had no room to open the door and the car crashed into the extension of the wall and stopped. I was quite relieved at that point as the vehicle could have continued into the rear of the garage and through the wall into the laundry room. I surveyed the damage to the car at that time and decided that while some damage did happen it was not that much and the vehicle was still drivable. Some months later we took the car for a repair estimate and to my surprise the estimate was for about $1,900. I do not believe that this is my fault as I put the vehicle in park but did not set the parking brake as the whole situation would not take two minutes to put the recycle can away and put the vehicle in the garage. I was quite shaken when I saw that the vehicle was coming into the garage by itself. The driveway slopes down to the street and I had been out of the vehicle for about 30 seco.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA