CarComplaints.com Notes: While the 2009 CR-V still came equipped with tires that wear out faster than my Grandpa after a turkey dinner, Honda did address an electrical problem with the door locks that plagued owners of previous model years.

2.3

2009 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda CR-V:

2009 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 312016

CR-V

The front driver's side door lock actuator is failing. The door unlocks automatically as I'm driving. The instrument panel shows the door ajar when this happens. It happens when the car is stationary as well, causing the alarm to go off randomly day and night. Our neighbors are understandably furious. I slept in the car last night to keep it from going off - didn't want to be under the hood in Chicago at 1am trying to disconnect the battery. The extended warranty on the car expired in August. Apparently, our model was not included in the recall or class action suit. Dealership is charging $300 minimum to "diagnose" and repair. Bothers me greatly that the company is keenly aware of this problem and yet I have to pay for them to tell me what I already know... they sold us a faulty product.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 052016

CR-V

The contact owns a 2009 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that all the door lock actuators were not functioning. The dealer diagnosed that the door lock actuators needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Mar 022016

CR-V

Drivers door lock actuator- my doors would not auto lock any longer when beginning to drive. The auto system continued to try auto lock while I was driving clicking back on and off trying to get the doors to lock while my vehicle was in motion. Also my doors would no longer lock with the key remote. My VIN number fell outside the range for 2009 CR-V's with the same reported problem covered in the svc bullentine #14-083 for replacing the door lock actuator. I believe other vehicles are effected like mine which is a safety issue when the door lock will not activate while driving. This happens on city streets or on the highway.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 032015

CR-V

We have replaced the low beam headlights in this car at least 9 times since purchasing it in 2010. Twice in the past year and the bulbs just burnt out again while my wife was driving home from work today in the dark. We have purchases oem, aftermarket, long life etc with the same result. The car was moving this time when the lights burned out. This vehicle is mostly driven on the highway about 100 miles a day, which is where my wife was today, at aproximately 70 mph. The 2002-2004 CR-V had a recall and this issue is all over the internet but there is zero resolution. Every dealership I call say they have not seen this, which is hard to believe considering the information out on the web. This is a serious issue.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Oct 162015

CR-V

Drivers door lock sticks and sometimes does not unlock and can't even unlock manually. They drivers side back door is permanently stuck closed, can't unlock manually or with the key fob. Back hatch is permanently locked can't open at all because there is no way to unlock manually. This happens weather the car is in motion or stationary. I feel this is a safety hazard because in the event of an accident how am I to get my children out of the car safely and quickly. Just run all the way around the car until a door opens" what about my dog that I usually have in the back, how do I get him out? what if the car is on fire or if the car is flipped on the side with the working locks" it's crazy to me so many people are having problems with this in my vehicle year yet they left us out of the settlement to replace the locks.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 262015

CR-V

The front door accutuator had to be replaced -- I lived with it for a year beacuse it was so expensive to replace -- this has been a problem for Honda and they have done nothing about it and not reaclled the 2009 CRV

- Vero Beach , FL, USA

Jan 172015

CR-V 4-cyl

I am submitting this complaint in regards to the Honda door actuator situation. It is evident that Honda has negligently omitted a vast majority of affected vehicles in their recent liability lawsuit recall. I personally have had several repairs on my 2009 CRV door locks since I purchased it new in 2009 and am again experiencing continuous problems with the drivers side door lock actuator. Based on my experience and numerous other comments from several social media outlets of 2009 CRV owners, Honda has negligently and purposefully omitted a vast majority of vehicles in their recall in an attempt to lessen the impact of their liability.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Jun 152012

CR-V 4-cyl

The first occurrence involved the right front door lock and the tailgate lock. When attempting to lock the doors with either the key fob or the interior button lock, neither door would lock. After operating the car and stopping, the doors would mysteriously lock then.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Feb 212015

CR-V 4-cyl

The door lock on my 2009 CRV does not work, neither manually nor with the electronic "fob". I cannot get into the car. I went online on edmunds car forum and noted that this appears to be a widespread problem with Honda CRV. Perhaps Honda should be made to fix this problem at their own expense. This problem could potentially leave the car owner locked outside his/her car in the freezing cold with no access to a phone to call for help. Please look into this matter.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Dec 142014

CR-V 4-cyl

I parked my 2009 Honda CRV in my garage and when I came out the next day the battery was dead. I put it on a charger, and when I came out to check it 2 hours later I noticed that the lights were on while the light switch was of off. I tried to start it again but the battery was still dead, but the lights still on. Its obvious that there seem to be something wrong. I'd like to know why would the lights go on, . on their own.

- Florence, SC, USA

Sep 252014

CR-V 4-cyl

The vehicle will lock itself while sitting in the garage or elsewhere. It has happened quite often but this particular time I unlocked it with the key fob and walked to the mailbox (about 60 ft) and back and it was locked. It has done this sitting in the driveway, too. I have not noticed it unlocking by itself but that would really concern me. It locks all doors normally when I first pick up speed. It has always been garaged since new.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 172014

CR-V 4-cyl

I had problems with the battery being dead. Six times I had to charge the battery or have it towed in to be serviced. The first time the dealer charged the battery and said it was fine. The second time they replaced the battery. The third thru five time I had to charge the battery in my garage, after buying a charging unit. The six time I had it towed in from my garage to the dealer. I read on the internet that there was a problem with the A/C relay and I asked that it be replaced. The dealership said there problems with other years but not with the 2009. I also have an advantage extended warranty up to 10/23/2019 but they said it wasn't covered. I paid $90.94 to have the A/C relay replaced and so far the car is starting. I think the cost of $90.94 should have been covered by Honda or my advantage warranty.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Jul 022014

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

Front passenger door lock is unlocking when all the other doors are locked and locking when the other doors are unlocked, I cannot lock all the doors on the car at the same time leaving the car and passengers vulnerable to theft when driving or when the car is parked.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

May 132014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2009 Honda CR-V. the contact heard an abnormal noise when the vehicle was started. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. On one occasion, the mechanic replaced the starter but the failure was not rectified. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Huntington, CT, USA

Mar 122014

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving approximately 2 mph, there was a strong burning odor coming from the front end of the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle became hard to maneuver and the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the A/C compressor clutch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 109,000. The consumer stated the belt had snapped and started to burn causing smoke to billow into the vehicle, as well as loss of power steering along with other functions. Updated 04/21/14 updated updated 05/08/14

- Montiville , NJ, USA

Sep 022013

CR-V 4-cyl

My 2009 Honda CRV locks, malfunction, while driving and while it parked and no one is in the vehicle. My vehicle has even locked us in the vehicle.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Jul 012013

CR-V

For the past month or so my car doors will not all unlock with the key fobs. The rear door and trunk will not always open. Additionally, when driving slow or making slow turns, the door locks will lock and or unlock as I am driving. Will be going to the dealer and hopefully have them fix this. This is a very dangerous problem, especially if one has small children.

- Passaic, NJ, USA

Jul 052013

CR-V 4-cyl

Problem with door lock. Making noise while start driving -back door not locking. I did find out that Honda have some issue with power doors. Went to dealer to find out if there is the recall. Even when so many customers have problems -Honda not facing problem.

- Arlington Hts, IL, USA

May 312013

CR-V 4-cyl

Dash digital readout for gas, ,mileage, temp etc started blinking on and off and even disappear and then blink off and on. Mechanic says requires replacement of micu unit at a cost of $600. Vehicle no longer under warranty.

- Hagerstown , MD, USA

Apr 122013

CR-V

The rear passenger door lock stopped working, then within days, the door locks started cycling constantly while the car was moving. Also, the rear hatch would also not unlock. At times the remote would not unlock the doors. The repair was to replace the inner door handle, as the actuator was defective.

- Marysville, OH, USA