2010 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda CR-V:

2010 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jun 092016

CR-V

On June 9 2016 after making a routine left turn from a full stop my 2010 Honda CRV kept accelerating uncontrollably. There was nothing on the accelerator pedal except my right foot which I immediately released; however, the car kept accelerating with nothing on the accelerator pedal. I used the full force of my body to apply brake pressure, but this would not stop the car; it merely slowed it down somewhat but the car was still accelerating. I had to maintain and increase this constant full body force exertion on the brake pedal as the car kept accelerating. After about 45 seconds I immediately threw the transmission into neutral whereupon the rpms surged way past 7000 (once again there was no pressure on the accelerator pedal and nothing was touching it) & past the corresponding red line on the tachometer. After approximately another 15 seconds I threw it back into drive with the full force of my body still on the break pedal and no pressure on the accelerator pedal and I managed to maneuver and turn hard the vehicle into a vacant driveway whereupon I shut off the engine. Thereafter, the engine area smoked for about 30 seconds. I waited approximately 5 minutes and carefully started the car again, backed out of the driveway and drove slowly down the nearby road to see if it was going to occur again. It did not. I drove a the car home a few miles away, did not use it again that day and the very next day (June 10, 2016) I went to the Honda dealer. The dealer was unable to find any fault codes or anything mechanically wrong. They claimed the accelerator was okay, there were no codes in the system and the brake over ride was working (which it was not as I previously stated because I had to put the full force of my body on the brake pedal to merely even slow it down somewhat but the car was still moving uncontrollably) and they could not duplicate the problem.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jan 062011

CR-V 4-cyl

At least 5 times now my 2010 Honda CRV-ex AWD car has tried to take off on me while applying the brake to come to a stop. I wrote it off the first time thinking maybe my foot was still touching the gas pedal when I applied the brake. The next time it happened I looked down to make sure my foot was only on the brake. My car jumped forward, even with my foot on the brake. I threw it into neutral and the motor revved up to about 5500 rpms before it decided to stop. This has happened 3 times at a stop light and twice in a parking lot. I'm afraid to drive my own vehicle. I called the dealership and they said they had not heard of any problems similar to what I described and there were no recalls that would be related to this issue. Help! what can I do besides take it to the dealership and have it not happen and tell me nothing is wrong.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 222013

CR-V 4-cyl

This has happened twice. In April 2013, I was driving on an interstate. To avoid hitting a slowing car, I tapped the brake and turned the wheel slightly to move completely back into the right lane. The car accelerated exponentially, as if overdrive had been turned off or cruise control had kicked in (cruise was not on). The car sped uncontrollably first toward the right shoulder and then to the left while I turned the wheel to stay on the road. This happened half a dozen times before the car finally stopped. The second event occurred while pulling into a front end parking space at an office building. Speed was not sufficient to register on the odometer. Tapping the brake caused the car to accelerate as described previously, heading toward a brick wall about 8 feet away. I removed my foot from the brake, but the car continued to accelerate. I was able to turn the car and avoid the wall, but took out all the front plantings, a light pole and a small tree, doing almost $3,000 damage to my car plus more for the building. I immediately took the car to my local Honda service. Their response: We could not duplicate the problem. Bring it back when this happens again. For a while I have accepted this diagnosis, but another occurrence could cause serious injury to property, to me or to others. I have read of other incidents with this vehicle. I am pursuing this matter with Honda. This must be fixed!

- Fishersville, VA, USA

Feb 272014

CR-V

Sudden, unexpected acceleration: I was parking at my works parking lot, the car was not moving, when all of a sudden the car accelerated out of control, crossed the parking lot and hit the building full force, airbag deployed. I suffered mild injuries thanks to the seat belt and airbag protection. The car was towed and is being assessed by the insurer.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

**update to complaint made on 6-17-13*** I informed american Honda about the sudden acceleration problem, he said not covered by warranty because dealer could not recreate the issue. I informed him I would not trust my loved ones to this car, I asked if he would let his wife and family use this car, he said 'maybe'. (on what criteria would he decide that I wondered). Long story short, Honda no help, the dealer, on the other hand, gillman Honda of san antonio was most helpful and stepped up by providing a very reasonable discount on a 2013 CRV and gave us the red carpet treatment. We traded in little greeny, sorry to see him go but had to do it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

June 11-13 I had oil changed at my dealer gilman Honda san antonio and had car checked out for problems because I am almost out of warranty, they said all clear, also had new key made and they reset the car to recognize the new keys. June 15 2013 I was backing up in the drive way, I pressed the brakes and car started to rev up severely, I put it in park, confirmed that my foot was off the gas, floor mat not stuck in the pedal etc. I turned off engine, restarting and it ran fine. Next day same thing, in reverse, pressed brakes and sudden acceleration, I will take to dealer this week to report issue, not hopeful as there are 15 of these complaints on carcomplaints.com and no dealer has yrt found the solution.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 292012

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while the brake was depressed, the vehicle accelerated abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times but was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10,500 and the current mileage was 11,500...updated 09-19-12 updated 09/20/2012

- Lake Wood , NJ, USA

Mar 312012

CR-V

The contact owns a 2010 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle surged forward until the emergency brake was applied. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Jul 252011

CR-V

The contact owns a 2010 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while the vehicle was stopped, the vehicle would lunge forward at anytime. The dealer was unable to unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 6,000 and the current mileage was 12,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 282011

CR-V 4-cyl

2010 Honda CRV. Consumer states unintended acceleration the consumer stated as he/she slowed down with his/her foot on the brake to park, the vehicle continued in motion. Before the consumer realized what was happening, she/he had already hit a fence, which ripped the bumper from the vehicle. The consumer received a recall notice and believed the recall was the reason he/she experienced the failure.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Mar 062010

CR-V 4-cyl

The 2010 CR-V has very sluggish acceleration from low speed and from a dead stop. We have a driveway that slopes down, and we have to floor the gas pedal to go up the drive way and even then it goes at a snail's pace. It is difficult to turn into traffic with out having to floor the gas pedal and even then, it can still be inconsistently sluggish (you never know how fast you start going or if you will start going). We have been in a number of near miss situations before we realized that since we can't judge whether the car will actually respond to the gas pedal, there can't be any cross traffic if we are going to pull out. I have contacted the dealer who acknowledges that there is a problem and that one of their service engineers has the CR-V and found the same thing, however, nothing is being done to mitigate the problem. Is going to take traffic accidents and deaths before Honda does something about this issue?

- Richland, WA, USA

Jul 082010

CR-V

Honda CR-V, 2010, 6000 miles has serious problems as to pick up and lacking adequate acceleration from stop. During turns loses RPM and creates dangerous slow down. American Honda as well as the hamilton Honda (dealer) have accepted that SUV has a problem but refuse to offer a remedy or take the car back.

- Morrisville, PA, USA

Apr 162010

CR-V

Brakes won't stop car and gas surging, need to place gear to park to lower the surging of the gas. This happens occasionally car is a Honda CRV ex purchased new w/160 odometer reading on Dec. 27 2009 at scott robinson Honda Inc, torrance, ca.

- Long Beach, CA, USA